Difference between Jews and Christians?

Lil_Flip

The main difference is Christians believe in Jesus Christ as their messiah while the majority of Jewish people do not [some, called Messianic Jews do believe in Jesus as their messiah but they are a sect of the religion if I remember correctly].

I know the price. I pay it gladly.

Jesus

And Hulk- Thats the most general thing ever.

Not as general as me saying we have bigger noses.

Anyway, on topic. To put it in simple terms, Jews believe in the Toran, or Old Testiment. Christians follow both the Old and the New. Also, Jews don't believe the Messiah has come yet. Christians think the messiah is Jesus.

phx.jpg

Gamertag: King Arizona

Jesus

Ha :D It's true, I do have a big nose :x

As previously said, the main difference is the belief in Jesus Christ. And all of the New Testament, for that matter - it is not accepted/considered in the Jewish faith.

The holidays are also quite different. We have no Christmas or easter, but instead we have Pesach and Chanukah and Rosh Hashanah (the Jewish New Year) and Yom Kippur. The main point of these holidays is often to celebrate Jewish culture and the miracle of our survival with the help of God, as well as repenting (Yom Kippur) and asking for forgiveness and being good people.

Everybody hug and spread the love :D

siggypooro0.jpg

Guest GhostRanger

Jesus

As previously said, the main difference is the belief in Jesus Christ. And all of the New Testament, for that matter - it is not accepted/considered in the Jewish faith.

The holidays are also quite different. We have no Christmas or easter, but instead we have Pesach and Chanukah and Rosh Hashanah (the Jewish New Year) and Yom Kippur. The main point of these holidays is often to celebrate Jewish culture and the miracle of our survival with the help of God, as well as repenting (Yom Kippur) and asking for forgiveness and being good people.

And also the Passover with Seder (is that spelled right?) I've recently become friends with lots of Jewish kids all at once (none of them affiliated with each other) and I love learning about the religion.

Jesus

Oh yeah, and we technically don't have to do a darn thing on Saturdays.

phx.jpg

which factions of christianity were u reffering to?

All of them in general believe the same thing. Same with juedaism. There are Orthodox Jews and the regular Jew. Just like Catholics and the average christian. It's all a matter of interpretation, and I believe all christian sects at the very least follow the New testament in one way or the other, which was the point...

phx.jpg

And also the Passover with Seder (is that spelled right?) I've recently become friends with lots of Jewish kids all at once (none of them affiliated with each other) and I love learning about the religion.

I don't know about spelling, but Passover is simply the English word for Pesach (which is a Hebrew word :) ).

I'd also want to add that Jews consider some kinds of food 'unclean', and will for example not eat pork. 'Clean' food is called 'kosher' (see Rease's title). This can sometimes even go as far as not eating some colors of smarties, since (for example) the red ones are colored by a chemical which is not kosher. How strict jews stick to these rules will vary.

Christians (in general) have no such thing as 'kosher' food - they can eat pork if they want to, or anything else for that matter :)

All of them in general believe the same thing. Same with juedaism. There are Orthodox Jews and the regular Jew. Just like Catholics and the average christian. It's all a matter of interpretation, and I believe all christian sects at the very least follow the New testament in one way or the other, which was the point...

While it's true that they all believe in 'just about the same thing', I'd not want to go as far as comparing Catholics to Orthodox Jews as to how strict they are... Some protestant sects will in fact be stricter than some Catholic groups. Anyhow, there are way too many forms of christianity to really discuss here, so umm, yeah :). Just pointing out that Catholics are not necessarily more strict than other Christians (while, I believe, Orthodox Jews are indeed more strict than other Jews).

While it's true that they all believe in 'just about the same thing', I'd not want to go as far as comparing Catholics to Orthodox Jews as to how strict they are... Some protestant sects will in fact be stricter than some Catholic groups. Anyhow, there are way too many forms of christianity to really discuss here, so umm, yeah :). Just pointing out that Catholics are not necessarily more strict than other Christians (while, I believe, Orthodox Jews are indeed more strict than other Jews).

Not nessecarily more strict, but more customs and practices. Like ome things Catholics do that a typical non-denominational christian dont usually do. Baptism at brith, communion, Good Friday, Ash Wednesday, Lent, and all those other customs. That's what i meant.

But still, overall, all those sects and denominations believe in a basic foundation that Jesus is the Messiah and that the New Testimant is God's word. My point was that because they all believe in that basic idea, they as a whole can be compared to the Jewish religon.

phx.jpg

Judaism - believe they are waiting for the messiah

Christianity - believe in Jesus's coming as the Messiah and the Resurrection of the dead.

As simple as that, oh and Christians arent as strict on money donations and stuff, I think Jews have to pay 10% of their wages to the church or something in Israel :/

American Jews have those awesome sideburns too? When I go to Antwerp, and I walk over the street I see a lot of jews, and they have these amazing sideburns, looks really cool!

21o4pav.jpg

Signature by Maurice Sendak

When the stars make you drool just like a pasta fazool, that's amore!

One thing I've noticed is that jews don't seem to want to tout their religion at every opportunity whereas a lot (obviously not all) of christians do whenever the subject comes up.

There seems to be an awful awful lot more tradition in most jews than there is in at least church of england christians.

One thing I've noticed is that jews don't seem to want to tout their religion at every opportunity whereas a lot (obviously not all) of christians do whenever the subject comes up.

Matthew 24:14; "And this good news of the kingdom will be preached in all the inhabited earth for a witness to all the nations; and then the end will come."

Thats why :wink:

rejna.png

- "I am willing to die...I mean try" - Jewelfire (Want to go bossing?)
-"we tried, we cried and we died!" - Limparse (What happens to old farts and tarts on monster-hunts)
- "...and we found out that there are as many ways to get to warriors guild
...as there are elders trying to get there" - Lysi
*snods agely* sorry... *nods sagely* - Brammy

-"Equality is being treated the SAME as everyone else;

not having special treatment and unique things added in to everything." - Sy_Accursed

Yeah... well... the bible says that we should burn girls who sell themselves. I dont think people should follow the bible to the letter if they decide they have to follow it at all :-/

Lev.21:9[/url]":2y02qi3b]And the daughter of any priest, if she profane herself by playing the [bleep], she profaneth her father: she shall be burnt with fire.

612d9da508.png

Mercifull.png

Mercifull <3 Suzi

"We don't want players to be able to buy their way to success in RuneScape. If we let players start doing this, it devalues RuneScape for others. We feel your status in real-life shouldn't affect your ability to be successful in RuneScape" Jagex 01/04/01 - 02/03/12

The main thing is that Jews are still waiting for the messiah promised through Abraham in Genesis 12:3 - that all the peoples of the Earth will be blessed through Abraham.

From the Christian's point of view this is Jesus Christ - a descendent of Abraham, and the entire world is blessed through Abraham as his descendent offers salvation to *all*.

Note: Christ is shown as Abraham's descedent in the first 16 verses of the NT

1The record of the genealogy of Jesus the Messiah, the son of David, the son of Abraham: 2Abraham was the father of Isaac, Isaac the father of Jacob, and Jacob the father of Judah and his brothers. 3Judah was the father of Perez and Zerah by Tamar, Perez was the father of Hezron, and Hezron the father of Ram. 4Ram was the father of Amminadab, Amminadab the father of Nahshon, and Nahshon the father of Salmon. 5Salmon was the father of Boaz by Rahab, Boaz was the father of Obed by Ruth, and Obed the father of Jesse. 6Jesse was the father of David the king. David was the father of Solomon by Bathsheba who had been the wife of Uriah. 7Solomon was the father of Rehoboam, Rehoboam the father of Abijah, and Abijah the father of Asa. 8Asa was the father of Jehoshaphat, Jehoshaphat the father of Joram, and Joram the father of Uzziah. 9Uzziah was the father of Jotham, Jotham the father of Ahaz, and Ahaz the father of Hezekiah. 10Hezekiah was the father of Manasseh, Manasseh the father of Amon, and Amon the father of Josiah. 11Josiah became the father of Jeconiah and his brothers, at the time of the deportation to Babylon. 12After the deportation to Babylon: Jeconiah became the father of Shealtiel, and Shealtiel the father of Zerubbabel. 13Zerubbabel was the father of Abihud, Abihud the father of Eliakim, and Eliakim the father of Azor. 14Azor was the father of Zadok, Zadok the father of Achim, and Achim the father of Eliud. 15Eliud was the father of Eleazar, Eleazar the father of Matthan, and Matthan the father of Jacob.

16Jacob was the father of Joseph the husband of Mary, by whom Jesus was born, who is called the Messiah.

summerpngwy6.jpg

I'm reserving this post to edit later and write a huge amount. There are loads of differences.

I just hope there isn't a time limit on how long I've got edit this. I won't be back for about 5 hours!

Just something about what Herr wrote: Jews believe that they are given a place in heaven by birthright - God chose them, not anyone else. So there is no point in 'Jewish evangelism' as God wouldn't accept them. Christian's on the other hand believe that Jesus died to save everyone, so everyone should be given the chance of salvation. Evangelism is one way of doing that.

If Gehjl (if he still come here) could take over for a few hours till I get back, it would be most appreciated. Expect a looooooong post ;)

Edit: Long post no longer needed, Insane has covered the basics. Oh, I was so looking forward to it as well ;)

Goals to get my skills back up to a barely respectable level on the high scores:

mayjest.png

Currently going for Bone to Peaches spell. It's amazing how boring doing the same repetitive task is! Stupid MTA

Jesus

Anyway, on topic. To put it in simple terms, Jews believe in the Toran, or Old Testiment. Christians follow both the Old and the New. Also, Jews don't believe the Messiah has come yet. Christians think the messiah is Jesus.

thats right. but there are more little difrents...

runeminermb1.gif

^^ click my sig for my lesser ranging guide ^^

jwrm22: 4816th > 99 cooking 100% f2p !1172 total! + 140mil in items.

i dont play anymore... i think rs is ruined

Sorry..my religious knowledge = zilch.

Could someone explain to me how Jesus was Jewish, but he's such a big part of the Christian religion. And how come people can't realize that Jesus wasn't white...look where he lived.

Sorry..my religious knowledge = zilch.

Could someone explain to me how Jesus was Jewish, but he's such a big part of the Christian religion. And how come people can't realize that Jesus wasn't white...look where he lived.

I'm going to give what I will call the "Christian perspective" lest the Jews here freak on me.

Basically what we believe is that God instituted the "first" or "old" covenant. That involved the Mosaic Law, for example laws on sacrifices, festivals, commonlaw, etc. The problem was, the Jews were following it out of obligation, in other words, they weren't doing it for God, they were doing it out of obligation - something that cannot change the heart attitude.

This heart attitude is shown through Isaiah 29:13 -

Then the LORD said, "Because this people draw near with their words and honor Me with their lip service, but they remove their hearts far from Me, and their reverence for Me consists of tradition learned by rote....

Also the fact that God desires our hearts, and not our actions, is shown through Micah 6:6-8 -

With what shall I come to the LORD and bow myself before the God on high? Shall I come to Him with burnt offerings, with yearlings calves? Does the LORD take delight in thousands of rams, in ten thousand rivers of oil? Shall I present my first-born for my rebellious acts, the fruit of my body for the sin of my soul? He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

But the Jews of the Old Testament could not grasp this, and their heart attitude caused them to turn towards sin (if you read the Old Testament, the Jews live as if the Law doesn't even exist). So God, to save his people, brought in the New Testament - through the promised one (shown in Genesis 12, God's promise to Abram to bless all nations through him), Jesus Christ.

There are prophecies all over the Old Testament that we believe Christ fulfilled, I'll give only one example.

Micah 5:2

But as for you, Bethlehem Ephrathah, too little to be among the clans of Judah, from you One will go forth for Me to be ruler in Israel

We believe Christ fulfills this prophecy, in Matthew 1:1-16 (as shown in another one of my posts) we see that Christ comes from Judah. Now in Matthew 2:1 we see;

Now after Jesus was born in Bethlehem of Judea in the days of Herod the King....

A few verses down Matthew also makes reference to Micah 5:2.

So (from a Christian perspective) God wants his chosen people (the Jews) to turn to Christ! This is the new covenenant that God created, for His people's salvation. But part of this new covenant is that non-Jews can also accept Christ's forgiveness and salvation.

Acts 11:18

And when they heard this, they quieted down, and glorified God, saying, "well then, God has granted to the Gentiles also the repentance that leads to life".

So that's how they tie together :)

And on the Jesus being white deal - it's a non-issue to the Christian faith... it doesn't really matter :P

summerpngwy6.jpg