Fishing vs. Woodcutting.

HellsSponge

Yes yews are the best money maker. After you get to 60 wcing which takes a long time in f2p even if you use draynor which has at least 1 to a tree at all times. If your lazy enough to spend hours on a day getting from 12-60 wcing in a day then your probably to lazy to to swich rocks while mining. And I would like to say that AFK is against the rules. You can't leave your acount logged on if you are not in front of the screen.

And how can you AFK those skills? You don't need 100% concentration while doing some WC, you can browse the forums or do other things.

And spending 5 hours on RS isn't that difficult...2 in he afternoon, 3 in the evening...pretty easy to do on a snowstorm day...

Oh, I was about to forget, you still make some money cutting willows. They are tradeable, you know?

WarBlastoise.png

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes being lazy by being on the computer for 5 hours isn't hard at all.

Your sig is darn right. You are so defensive. Attacking me personnally instead of arguing.

And FLASHNEWS! You can get 60 wc in 3 days if you want. But get some friends on RS and they'll go quite fast while chatting.

WarBlastoise.png

NEWSFLASH I don't want higher wcing because it is a stupid skill. And I put that there so that people woudn't atack me personaly. And btw I have friends!

In fact, I do have some pancake mix.

2ic8sw5.png

NEWSFLASH I don't want higher wcing because it is a stupid skill. And I put that there so that people woudn't atack me personaly. And btw I have friends!

Never said that you didn't have any.

If you don't like the skill, your choice, but don't say it's a stupid skill because fletching, firemaking, cooking (to some extent) and range wouldn't exist without it.

WarBlastoise.png

Mining ftw! It's not dead yet! Depends if you're f2p or p2p, and if you have 85 mining.

F2P: Mining wins if the rocks aren't crowded, especially at 85. I can make 100k on gold, not to mention rune. Woodcutting, I barely scrawl over 50k an hour on yews. Fishing I can make about 90k, but I'm only 70 fishing, so it should be on par with gold by 85 fishing.

P2P: ~600k an hour at Light Temple rune rocks! I got almost get 2 loads an hour there. Outside of that, there's nothing special about p2p mining. Maybe the Asargian Gold Mine, but it won't help much. Here, it's out of my field. I don't woodcut or fish for money in p2p, but I can't imagine it beating rune.

Mining is only effective at high levels and is mostly dead I would say for p2pers. Although wc and fish cant compete in money per hour, they are both easier to get xp and are possible afk which is not really reasonable for mining. Wc wins for me simply cause it is somewhat related to ur wealthiness(different axes) and is not completey afk like fishing.

You can't really "afk" wc or fishing either. Fishing spots move, trees fall down, and randoms decide to visit you. And I remember Jagex stating the rate of randoms are increase for a few skills, fishing, wc, and cooking among them.

Plus you can visit other pages safely between switching worlds during mining.

• 3 weeks later...
Forget about them, they're both a waste of time.

No skills on rs can be compared. They are completely different with their own positives and negatives.

Woodcutting and Fishing are no different. How can you compared a log which requires a level of 60 and gives 175 xp to a fish that requires 62 Fish and gives 130 xp(aroundish)?

Each skill is unique. If you're out to see which skill is better as provided by the game, they are equal. But if you're going on the player's views, carry on.

Thanks..

Lord Shalaj

I'd agree if we were say comparing fishing to farming, or whichever. But woodcutting and fishing are VERY similar, same kind of skill, they can be compared.

You say cutting trees and catching fish is similar? :|

Let me tell you this, each skill on rs is different. They can get related to each other like Woodcutting and Firemaking, but in the aspect of skills, they are unique to themselves.

Thanks..

Lord Shalaj

Well yes, the actual action of the skill is different, but they have the same CONCEPT.

I just have to say again in short so people read it. Mining best money maker.

Sorry about your cat.

And yes, at level 85+ is is the best moneymaker, better than wc and fish. But thats not what the thread is about.

oh, and slayer and rc are 550k an hour or more. FTW. that is, if you want to go into other skills, which we would use a SEPERATE thread for

I think woodcutting and mining are the best to make money. Woodcutting is easy to level and has ok money; mining is hard to level but has excellent money - runite ore = 12k each. I also use fishing for money sometimes, and is ok; but not as good as the other two unless you have really high level such as 90+ to get sharks real quick.

- Rem. ::'

Please visit our forums !! Click the link!!

Register; and get posting!

CLICK! ---> http://dantay800.com/forum1/index.php <---CLICK!

• 3 weeks later...

actually, both skills train at around the same pace if u ask me. fly-fishing gives nearly the same amount of xp an hour as willows (correct me if im wrong). as for ur question concerning which skill earns a player the most money, woodcutting probably, because yews are closer to the bank than lobbies or swordies are. (for f2p at least). however, i heard from somebody that fishing raw lobs and selling them is the new f2p market....not sure about that though.

Fishing, mining, and woodcutting have been known sense RSC as the "big three" for skills. Up until recently, they were almost even. Now, the mining graphics were updated, which many people didn't like. Also, with the release of the grand exchange, the prices shifted up, but only with fishing and woodcutting, leaving mining in the dust. Now, fishing and woodcutting are the two big skills that can be done AFK (away from keyboard).

They both have a method that earns money (yews and monkfish), one that is high level (sharks and magics) and one that is fast xp (fly fishing and willows). Woodcutting is more straightforward, because it requires no quests, and has yew trees on F2P. Meanwhile, fishing has monkfish, which requires an advanced quest (swan song, 100 qp, 66 magic, and 62 fishing + cooking), but is faster money and xp. While there are a lot of magic trees, you have to compete with other players over them, but sharks are individual.

Which of the two skills is easier to gain levels in? How about to make money?

As a player with well past 99 in both skills, I can testify that they are indeed very similar. All the action is virtually identical. The biggest difference is that trees will die, whereas fishing spots will only ever move. This means that fishing can be a group activity, but woodcutting is hindered when there are a lot of people around.

As far as moneymaking, both skills top out around 150k gp/hr--either 150 sharks/hr, or 120 magic logs/hr. 150k gp/hr is unimpressive for a member, so really neither one is a great moneymaker.

Woodcutting can be trained much faster than fishing. The fastest fishing experience is less than 60k exp/hr and doesn't even turn a profit. Woodcutting experience tops at over 80k exp/hr at teaks, cutting and dropping with an inferno adze, and if you want 60k exp/hr, you can chop teaks with the parcel service and get the same profit a fisherman would get catching lobsters. So the numbers definitely favor woodcutting.

However, fishing is more enjoyable, because you never need to wait for a fishing spot to respawn, and you don't need to hop worlds if there are too many people at your fishing spot.

A striking similarity is that seemingly in both skills, people have no idea what the best way to train is. :roll: So many people (topic creator included) say that fly fishing is the fastest fishing experience and willows are the fastest woodcutting experience. Those people are all wrong. Those are common myths that end as soon as you become a member. The fastest fishing experience is actually heavy rod fishing, which can pull about 10k exp/hr more than fly fishing if you powerfish, or about the same exp with a substantial profit if you bank the caviar to sell later. And it gives lots of agility, strength, and cooking experience in addition to fishing. And for woodcutting, powercutting teaks is about 15k exp/hr faster than willows. But that's not all--you can also use Brimhaven house teleports and rings of dueling to bank teak logs in Tai Bwo, and get the same exp as willows with almost as much cash as yews. And, you can use the parcel service to bank, for even faster experience, albeit a little less profit. Not only that, but yews are actually slower for both profit AND xp than eucalyptus, and yet seemingly nobody chops eucs.

• 4 weeks later...
Woodcutting can be trained much faster than fishing. The fastest fishing experience is less than 60k exp/hr and doesn't even turn a profit. Woodcutting experience tops at over 80k exp/hr at teaks, cutting and dropping with an inferno adze, and if you want 60k exp/hr, you can chop teaks with the parcel service and get the same profit a fisherman would get catching lobsters. So the numbers definitely favor woodcutting

I definately think you need to do your reserch better. I turn up far more gold while fishing than what you say. You mention that it doesn't even turn a profit, well your wrong. A small fishing net for monks costs a whole 5gp and a monk gets 392gp, so unless your not paying attention you will never have to spend another 5gp again :shock:

Also, if your doing the shilo fly fishing you sitll make profit. A salmon is like 40gp(somewhere near this) and a feather is like 5-7gp :lol:

Sir_Redhead.png

Gained first quest cape on 3/22/09! Gained 99 fishing 5/22/09!

I forgot when I got 99 cooking!

Proud member of Jovial Rovers

Woodcutting can be trained much faster than fishing. The fastest fishing experience is less than 60k exp/hr and doesn't even turn a profit. Woodcutting experience tops at over 80k exp/hr at teaks, cutting and dropping with an inferno adze, and if you want 60k exp/hr, you can chop teaks with the parcel service and get the same profit a fisherman would get catching lobsters. So the numbers definitely favor woodcutting

I definately think you need to do your reserch better. I turn up far more gold while fishing than what you say. You mention that it doesn't even turn a profit, well your wrong. A small fishing net for monks costs a whole 5gp and a monk gets 392gp, so unless your not paying attention you will never have to spend another 5gp again :shock:

Also, if your doing the shilo fly fishing you sitll make profit. A salmon is like 40gp(somewhere near this) and a feather is like 5-7gp :lol:

You're right that I'm wrong about teaks being the same profit as lobsters, but in my defense, they've dropped a whole lot since I said that...I remember selling mine for 170 each after I did that test. But you're wrong about the rest. I only said that the fastest fishing experience doesn't turn a profit, which is true--you should break even.

As a player with well past 99 in both skills, I can testify that they are indeed very similar. All the action is virtually identical. The biggest difference is that trees will die, whereas fishing spots will only ever move. This means that fishing can be a group activity, but woodcutting is hindered when there are a lot of people around.

True, i have my woody 99 but i have to say fishing is way more fun to do with friends, simply because they don't spoil your training xp and no competition. A very relaxed skill to do, probably my favourite on F2P. I would advise fishing if you are not sure if you have the perseverance for 99 training.

TIP.ITing in combination with woodcutting works better than fishing, you got some more seconds to read posts before your inventory is full. Woops, almost RS log out. :lol:

greedy44.png

In my opinion Woodcutting is a much better money maker compared to Fishing. (In Free Play)

Fishing seems to be much faster experience wise, unless your banking. If your banking woodcutting willows in Draynor definitely beats fishing in Barbarian Village and banking in Edgeville.

I don't know anything about members.

A_Hippy_Life

Combat Level: 66

F2p Total: 1010 and rising.

IndieSig.jpg

• 1 month later...

"Mining in the dust"? Really? I find mining more enjoyable than WC'ing or fishing, and it certainly makes more money then those skills.

Picture2-10.png

So, Lone Star, now you see that evil will always triumph because good is dumb.