Fishing vs. Woodcutting.

HellsSponge

Fishing, mining, and woodcutting have been known sense RSC as the "big three" for skills. Up until recently, they were almost even. Now, the mining graphics were updated, which many people didn't like. Also, with the release of the grand exchange, the prices shifted up, but only with fishing and woodcutting, leaving mining in the dust. Now, fishing and woodcutting are the two big skills that can be done AFK (away from keyboard).

They both have a method that earns money (yews and monkfish), one that is high level (sharks and magics) and one that is fast xp (fly fishing and willows). Woodcutting is more straightforward, because it requires no quests, and has yew trees on F2P. Meanwhile, fishing has monkfish, which requires an advanced quest (swan song, 100 qp, 66 magic, and 62 fishing + cooking), but is faster money and xp. While there are a lot of magic trees, you have to compete with other players over them, but sharks are individual.

Which of the two skills is easier to gain levels in? How about to make money?

Fishing is a great skill, I my self love fishing. Woodcutting is dull skill for me and I don't think you make money as fast as you can while fishing.

Yews are for money and exp. Monk are mostly for exp but can be used for money to. As some people know Monk Fish give more exp then Sharks do. Sharks are used for money and rarely are used for exp. If you compare Shark and Magic Logs of course Magic logs are gonna win there the best wood you can cut. On the other hand if you put Yews and Shark together shark wins by a long shot.

If you compare Yews and Monk together its tied so after all Fishing and Woodcutting are really good skills but it just depends on what YOU like to do.

Currently Leveling Slayer and Strength

RS Youtube Channel: WhitephionixLPP

Whitephionix.png

Whitephionix.png

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yews are for money and exp. Monk are mostly for exp but can be used for money to. As some people know Monk Fish give more exp then Sharks do. Sharks are used for money and rarely are used for exp. If you compare Shark and Magic Logs of course Magic logs are gonna win there the best wood you can cut. On the other hand if you put Yews and Shark together shark wins by a long shot.

If you compare Yews and Monk together its tied so after all Fishing and Woodcutting are really good skills but it just depends on what YOU like to do.

Whoa!!! Comparing sharks to magic logs, I'd say sharks definitely win. Just because something is the highest in a skill doesn't mean its better than something that is not the highest in its respective skill. But if u compared manta rays, highest in fishing, Id say mages are better.

teh_gauss.png

I think wc is easier now with farming. Fishing you have to share fishing spots, but with farming you can grow your own trees, thus eliminating the need to share and making an extra tree around where there already are some. So I think they're both easy to level and easy to make money with...there will always be people getting 99 cooking and fletching who don't get their own raw materials. But I think farming makes wc slightly faster.

Seraphyna.png

Seraphyna.png

Whoa!!! Comparing sharks to magic logs, I'd say sharks definitely win. Just because something is the highest in a skill doesn't mean its better than something that is not the highest in its respective skill. But if u compared manta rays, highest in fishing, Id say mages are better.

Well both Shark and Magic Logs are used mostly for the money.

100 Shark = 88k

100 Magic Logs = 120k

I think that kinda proves my point. As you can see Magic logs have a huge price difference then Shark.

100 Monkfish = 34k

100 Yew Logs = 40k

There is only a 6k price difference each 100 Monkfish. Thats why I say there both Skills are equal to each other it just depends on what YOU like the most. And you got to remember you fish Monkfish faster then you cut Yew Logs and cut Magic Logs faster then you fish Shark.

Whitephionix.png

Whitephionix.png

Hmm, I feel it's odd that people say that they like the one over the other in terms of 'fun factor'. To me, fishing and woodcutting are completely alike. You stand somewhere, click your utensil on a spot and wait while your inventory fills up, occasionally moving when the spot 'dies'. And both skills have community spots for those who chat and silent spots for those who don't.

They are both skills I rarely train, only whenever I feel like reading on the Internet (and even then...) I prefer fishing just a bit more, but only because it gets me monks to use on slayer tasks.

Putting aside summons, faming, pots, or any other add-ons; and looking strictly at the skill itself, you will see WC and Fishing are very close. The only major considerable difference I can see is that WC requires competition among trees, while fishing does not.

In WC, when a higher level comes in, he is going to make your wc slightly slower, since he is cutting trees down faster, and thus making you wait longer between spawns. This is espeically evident in mages which take a long time to respawn.

In Fishing, the fishing spots rotate on a regular basis regardless of how many people are fishing. So as long as you pay attention, you have no competition with people stealing your fish. Now you do get random events like whirlpools, and the big fish, but the fishing spots are instant respawns and dont take near the time as it takes a mage tree to respawn.

That is the only major benefit I can see in fishing vs. WC.

Looking at other bonuses, if you have a high summon level it helps both skills, each with their own benefits:

80 Summon: A Hyrda Familiar will regrow your personal trees. If you have 75 farming and 80 summon you can basically farm your own tree close to a bank without any competition and no waiting.

74 Summon: A Granite Lobster Familiar will fish sharks and swordfish with you giving you xp for it, in addition to giving you a constant (hidden) +6 fishing bonus.

Both these familiars give high bonuses to both skills, so its really the players preference.

dawnsigblue-3.png

Well both Shark and Magic Logs are used mostly for the money.

100 Shark = 88k

100 Magic Logs = 120k

I think that kinda proves my point. As you can see Magic logs have a huge price difference then Shark.

100 Monkfish = 34k

100 Yew Logs = 40k

There is only a 6k price difference each 100 Monkfish. Thats why I say there both Skills are equal to each other it just depends on what YOU like the most. And you got to remember you fish Monkfish faster then you cut Yew Logs and cut Magic Logs faster then you fish Shark.

OH really? You cut magics faster than sharks? Whenever i cut mages they seem so slow but I guess ive never tried fishing shark but I can't imagine anythign really slower than cutting magics? If thats the case then ur right- magics are better and then wc wins for money.

teh_gauss.png

If your the exact level for cutting Magic Trees and the exact level for fishing Shark then Magic Trees will go faster. And no I said the skills were the same just depends on what you like the best.

Whitephionix.png

Whitephionix.png

I think its a question of which you like more. I hate woddcutting so i don't make money from it. On the other hand I could fish for weeks and not get bored. I would stay on longer everyday and in that way make more money.BTW i make more money from mining because it is my favorite skill and gold ore goes for alot and is in a very largely shifting market(From 385gp to 540gp.Thats market value not top or bottem.)So realy whatever skill is your favorite can make you more. Other factors are small and don't efect it much.

In fact, I do have some pancake mix.

2ic8sw5.png

As a F2P, I have to say that it has to be woodcutting. Now that all those macros and autoers are gone, its easier to chop wood without some generic lvl 3 guy chopping the whole time hes on, I can chop more. Its easier to hoard logs than lobsters. But I still think fishing is the more practical as food is in higher demand than logs( we in F2P don't have fletching so logs aren't worth that much)

Guest Eagledude81

Getting 99 woodcutting made me ~18m using Eucalyptus trees, they gave 165xp for a little slower cutting speed than willows. They also sold for 350 each. They were great money. I'm currently going for 99 fishing, and the monks give 120xp per and are fairly quick. They also sell for a great amount. Woodcutting is great for money if you use eucalyptus. Yews and Magics are kind of slow. Fishing is great if you use monkfish, lobsters, swordfish, or sharks at a higher level. Fishing has a wider range to make money. They are both great money, and they can both have fast xp. I love skilling, its fun with friends, can be a little boring at times, not that bad. And its great for money. They're both good, if I'd have to choose, I'd choose wc due to the fact that Eucalyptus are more isolated, and no one's there. So the trees last longer than monkfishing spots.

WoodCutting: 9/10

Fishing: 8.5/10 ::'

money making: mining and fishing

gaining levels: fishing and woodcutting

i have to agree with hi, and this applies in both f2p and p2p

in f2p u make money by selling coal and iron for mining, and lobbies for those seeking 99 cooking. fishing is definitely faster to lv then mining because of fly fishing, and woocut is quick thxs to willows

in p2p mining the demand for ores is strong and not many people mine, fishing is highly profitable with monkfishes. as for speed wc has d axe and so many trees and other training options, finally mems have barb fishing which yield virtually no profits unless u waste ur time and bank roe and caviar, but barb fishing is even quicker then fly fishing

lcchs.png

lcchs.png

F2P: probably woodcutting as it is really quick exp and it is quite easy to make money. Fishing lobsters and swordies take ages to bank although fly fishing is quite easy to lvl

P2P: Probably fishing you can make more money and it is easier probably to lvl (open for debate)

SUPER.gif

Personally I would say fishing, but I have 90 in it :thumbsup:

I used to want 99 woodcutting, as it used to be my favorite skill. But it got to slow and boring, and I gave up at 74 :shock:

Then I got into fishing, which i used to hate. But i beat swan song, and got access to monks. I got 76 fishing, and got access to sharks...(which is still slow) and now it is my favorite. I find fishign more fun socially also, and far far less competetive. I like to be able to talk to friends while fishing with them, without havgin to compete over trees... :D

Sir_Redhead.png

Gained first quest cape on 3/22/09! Gained 99 fishing 5/22/09!

I forgot when I got 99 cooking!

Proud member of Jovial Rovers

It mining if you have forty and the crafting guil and its woodcutting if you have 60. which takes forever in f2p.

If you are f2p, the mining guild still takes forever. And moneymaking isn't the only issue when training a skill.

Mining is way slower then the other two skills and, well, most of the people on Tip.It are members...But as I said on the other thread (Best moneymaking skill), it doesn't really matter for woodcutting.

WarBlastoise.png

I get where your coming from if you are training a skill if you break even it is ok but this is not all about training the skill this is about money makeing just as much. So if it is training it is WCing easy.

2ic8sw5.png

Fishing for the win.

Fishing in F2P is actually not dead.

i personally fish in F2P.

if you get the lvl 3 explorer's ring you can tele as many times as you want to the cabbage field from wherever.

so if one gets money + lobbie pot in ur inven. and wears nothing but the explorer's ring, one can tele to the cabbage field, then run down to the docks, pay for the boat trip, run to the kajama docks, fish an invent. (26) lobbies, then tele back to the field, and run to dranyor bank and repeat the process.

as long as you are wearing only the ring, and have just ur lobbie pot and cash, you can run the whole way.

its actually a pretty good method of fishing for lobbies.

i suppose it could work for swordies/tuna but lobbies are more profitable.

Evilfish1.png

I think I'll do Baby Blacks :P

Fishing for the win.

Fishing in F2P is actually not dead.

i personally fish in F2P.

if you get the lvl 3 explorer's ring you can tele as many times as you want to the cabbage field from wherever.

so if one gets money + lobbie pot in ur inven. and wears nothing but the explorer's ring, one can tele to the cabbage field, then run down to the docks, pay for the boat trip, run to the kajama docks, fish an invent. (26) lobbies, then tele back to the field, and run to dranyor bank and repeat the process.

as long as you are wearing only the ring, and have just ur lobbie pot and cash, you can run the whole way.

its actually a pretty good method of fishing for lobbies.

i suppose it could work for swordies/tuna but lobbies are more profitable.

I never realy thought of useing the explorers ring to fish in that way and I always went the extra 20% of unning by going to falador.

2ic8sw5.png

I get where your coming from if you are training a skill if you break even it is ok but this is not all about training the skill this is about money makeing just as much. So if it is training it is WCing easy.

If it's moneymaking just as much, as you say, then woodcuttingstill is the winner, with yews being the best moneymaking in f2p...

WarBlastoise.png

Yes yews are the best money maker. After you get to 60 wcing which takes a long time in f2p even if you use draynor which has at least 1 to a tree at all times. If your lazy enough to spend hours on a day getting from 12-60 wcing in a day then your probably to lazy to to swich rocks while mining. And I would like to say that AFK is against the rules. You can't leave your acount logged on if you are not in front of the screen.

2ic8sw5.png