Intelligent people = 'less likely to believe in God'

DaN

I'm going to ignore most of the posts between my last post and this one, because it looks like a bit of a flame war.

I have a few links that actually have to do with one extremely intelligent astronomer who works in the Vatican Observatory. He's a Jesuit Brother by the name of Guy Consolmagno, whom I discovered on a late-night talk radio show, Coast to Coast AM. Yes I know, it's a bit odd but meh. Anyways, this show tends to have guests from many different areas of study, whether it be Ufology, Wicca, or Astrobiology. I listened to this particular show, and it just struck me as funny. This is a man who works for the Church, yet doesn't take the Bible the way people think it should be taken. And -gasps- it's a man of science and of the cloth. Here's as much of the show that they have in text. It was interesting to listen to him. Just proves that this theory is wrong. Belief in God or any higher power =/= lack of intelligence.

Also I found another interview that was done for Astrobiology Magazine. It's an interesting read.

Note: All links are safe, mostly Wiki links or straight to articles on very safe websites.

Also, as another note, I am not a Christian of any sort. I just don't think it's fair to lump all Christians with Fundamentalists.

• Replies 250
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm a troll because I refuse to look up very, very narrow-minded and out-of-context quotes to prove my point? That's like the video argument in the other thread, you're getting angry because I refuse to do this.

Please, point out where I generalized all atheists into morons. As you said, I'm such an incorrect troll, I could never do something so intellectual. I said I could look for out-of-context quotes that could make you look less intelligent. That's not a statement on the general intelligence of an atheist, which I don't even know. Even though, according to some nutjob, it's higher than a religious person. :roll:

catch it now so you can like it before it went so mainstream

that reminds of the "people with a higher IQ have a smaller penis" article

And since atheists have higher IQs, that means they have smaller penises too!

I wonder how many people he surveyed for this...I really doubt it was that many (Out of 6 billion), so it's probably not accurate. If he somehow manages to get a few million, maybe even 100 million or a billion people to do this, maybe we could learn something. Otherwise...I'm just going to call this rubbish and leave you guys to your religious debate.

doublesmileyface1.png

Cenin pân nîd, istan pân nîd, dan nin ú-cenich, nin ú-istach.

Ithil luin eria vi menel caran...Tîn dan delu.

I have a few links that actually have to do with one extremely intelligent astronomer who works in the Vatican Observatory. He's a Jesuit Brother by the name of Guy Consolmagno, whom I discovered on a late-night talk radio show, Coast to Coast AM. Yes I know, it's a bit odd but meh. Anyways, this show tends to have guests from many different areas of study, whether it be Ufology, Wicca, or Astrobiology. I listened to this particular show, and it just struck me as funny. This is a man who works for the Church, yet doesn't take the Bible the way people think it should be taken. And -gasps- it's a man of science and of the cloth. Here's as much of the show that they have in text. It was interesting to listen to him. Just proves that this theory is wrong. Belief in God or any higher power =/= lack of intelligence.

Just because he's an astronomer doesn't mean he's intelligent. What did he say about evolution or the age of the Earth, your labeling him as intelligent just because he's an astronomer when science clearly contradicts the bible.

Just because he's an astronomer doesn't mean he's intelligent. What did he say about evolution or the age of the Earth, your labeling him as intelligent just because he's an astronomer when science clearly contradicts the bible.

You obviously did not read any of the articles I linked to, did you? You also seemed to have clearly misread what was said.

A) A man of the cloth says that taking the Bible literally is stupid. It's called metaphor, and should be taken as such.

B) Considering statement A, science cannot contradict the Bible if it is taken the way it was meant to be taken, as a metaphor.

Please, read the articles before you come to such a conclusion.

Also, you missed the second point I made in that post. People lump everyone into one category because of a small percenage of people. Most of the time, that small percentage gets seen as a representative of the whole because they are too loud and beligerent. All christians are not Fundamentalists. That is my major point.

If you were to ask a scientist how the universe was created he would say The Big Bang.

If you were to ask the Pope how the universe was created he would say Creationism.

However, if you were to ask an 'intelligent' person about the situation, he would either tell you "i don't know, but i'd like to find out" or " A mix between Religion and science."

Someone said that to me once, and it struck me, because some people are so fixtated on what they'd like to believe, they really have no idea how the universe was formed, so that phrase made me slightly more open minded ::'

megakillersigbyhawkxsrh0.png

Quit Runescape 30th May 2006.

Thanks to Hawkxs for my signature :)

Someone said that to me once, and it struck me, because some people are so fixtated on what they'd like to believe, they really have no idea how the universe was formed, so that phrase made me slightly more open minded ::'

Except that the fact that creationism is impossible by scientific standards therefor you must believe in one or the other.

Except that the fact that creationism is impossible by scientific standards therefor you must believe in one or the other.

-sigh-

Metaphor? HELLO! The Bible is not literal, as was said. You don't have to believe in one or the other, if you broaden your scope and look at it from that kind of angle.

Can you give me the source material that comprises claims like Young Earth and other concepts that contradict what evidence shows us?

I would like to see how many different ways it could be interpreted. Oh, it would also help if some background info was provided as well, because I'm pretty sure in a book like the Bible (Books of Faith usually are really ornamental and... just generally weird to read) context is important.

That way, both I and anybody else can be enlightened to how many different meanings can be gleaned from the texts.

Thanks in advance.

But I don't want to go among mad people!

Oh, you can't help that. We're all mad here..."

-sigh-

Metaphor? HELLO! The Bible is not literal, as was said. You don't have to believe in one or the other, if you broaden your scope and look at it from that kind of angle.

Which part of the bible tells us the bible is a metaphor, because I'm pretty sure if god exists he'd want us to take it literally like it was written

-sigh-

Which part of the bible tells us the bible is a metaphor, because I'm pretty sure if god exists he'd want us to take it literally like it was written

Or perhaps he'd want us to put it into context. You know, like you don't do. The Bible is easy to understand if you can put it into the context of it's times (which constantly changes from book to book).

In fact, understanding the Bible requires a lot of thought, question, and research. Something someone without intelligence could not accomplish.

Untitled.png

My heart is broken by the terrible loss I have sustained in my old friends and companions and my poor soldiers. Believe me, nothing except a battle lost can be half so melancholy as a battle won. -Sir Arthur Wellesley

In fact, understanding the Bible requires a lot of thought, question, and research. Something someone without intelligence could not accomplish.

you're forgetting imagination and blind faith that the stuff is real... I mean have you read the old testament? Talking Donkeys, Cannibalism... you can't help but think someone had been very high on drugs when they wrote that.

Or you can just imagine and pretend that those events are actually symbols for others... to fit with your perception of what God is.

A friend to all is a friend to none.

Or you know someone with lots of free time? Someone who'd rather read the bible then feed the poor or work toward world peace ... yeah.

You act like an omnipotent God can not make a bush talk? And the cannibalism had a point.

You obviously have only read a few sentences of the Old Testament, without putting any thought into it's meaning or context. I personally have read through the Bible three times now, two of those for study.

Just because you do not respect someone else's philosopy does not give you the right to disrespect it.

Religons are more of a blind faith sort of thing.

I would hardly call it blind faith.

Or you know someone with lots of free time? Someone who'd rather read the bible then feed the poor or work toward world peace ... yeah.

I've done both, heaven forbid! As a certain band put it, "faith without works is like a screen door on a submarine."

Untitled.png

My heart is broken by the terrible loss I have sustained in my old friends and companions and my poor soldiers. Believe me, nothing except a battle lost can be half so melancholy as a battle won. -Sir Arthur Wellesley

y_anima"]

Science is the pursuit of knowledge and religion rejects science.

witch is why I'd grow crazy if i was brought up in religion, i do not insult people for religion but why reject everything that is scientifically proven

They don't. You're wrong. Want me to prove it to you? Issac Newton. He believed in god and studied the Bible. He also happened to write what's considered one of the best works in scientific history, "Philosophiæ Naturalis Principia Mathematica," in which he outlines laws of motion and gravitation, along with calculus. I don't think it's possible to have ravaged your idea any more than I just did. Hope it didn't hurt too much.

I'm going to ignore most of the posts between my last post and this one, because it looks like a bit of a flame war.

Also I found another interview that was done for Astrobiology Magazine. It's an interesting read.

Note: All links are safe, mostly Wiki links or straight to articles on very safe websites.

Also, as another note, I am not a Christian of any sort. I just don't think it's fair to lump all Christians with Fundamentalists.

Im not really surprised that there are some really smart believers out there (e.g. some people I admire Francis Collins and Ken Miller), even some men of the cloth. Take Gregor Mendel as a seminal example. He was a priest from Austria and the father of modern genetics.

By the way, youre taking this study the wrong way. Its that on average, higher intelligence will correlate with atheism. For example, out of 5 intelligent people, 3 may be atheists. I dont even take it as accurate without looking into it seriously but its worth knowing what the study is actually suggesting.

Oh and to Denismage, its not really that fair portraying all Christians as fundie morons when only a small handful are. I agree with bloodyhatchet bear, some people are coming up with the stupidest and most inane stereotypes.

Lenticular_J - Take 3 steps back, retaliating and acting all defensive will get you nowhere. Take a joke. Tastefully make a joke about atheists if you think it's funny, they'd probably laugh too if they had a sense of humour. You are way over reacting and frankly looking rather silly, be the better person like you said and walk away or at least challenge someones views intelligently. After all you are trying to prove you're just as intelligent not the latter. And yes, you're not the only person, I see many atheists over reacting as well, you just seemed the most upset.

igoddessIsig.png

The only people who tell you that you can't do something are those who have already given up on their own dreams so feel the need to discourage yours.

I will just say that I watched a biography on Newton a few days ago and he didn't really follow his church. He would have been forced to become a priest but somehow got out of it(People would think his work was blasphemy).

He had over 10 different Bibles which he studied from including old Greek works and texts from the East.

This man didn't study the Bible more than to stay in college and hope to solve a riddle which he believed older civilizations made to hide their Master Formula.

Best part was he called some chemical reactions sick names. :lol: Something(I believe cobalt or sulfur) melted with Iron was a "Hermaphrodite with a sword". :lol:

What is the point of this thread? don't tell me its just to give us random trivial info. You purposely posted this just to somehow show that if you're smart, you shouldn't believe in god or just to tick christians off. I see no relevence to this thread because there are already several threads where you can [bleep] about god's existence.

[hide=]

tip it would pay me $500.00 to keep my clothes ON :( :lol:
But then again, you fail to realize that 101% of the people in this universe hate you. Yes, humankind's hatred against you goes beyond mathematical possibilities.
That tears it. I'm starting an animal rebellion using my mind powers. Those PETA bastards will never see it coming until the porcupines are half way up their asses.
[/hide]

montageo.png

Apparently a lot of people say it. I own.

http://linkagg.com/ Not my site, but a simple, budding site that links often unheard-of websites that are amazing for usefulness and fun.

Why are you so angry? It's not nice to accuse someone of something that harshly. If atheists and Christians could actually discuss something intelligently together there wouldn't be any need for harsh judgments, hurt feelings and flame wars. Contributing to the hate is not going to work in your favour. A negative comment will most likely result in another negative comment, it's not so hard to work out.

igoddessIsig.png

The only people who tell you that you can't do something are those who have already given up on their own dreams so feel the need to discourage yours.

Why are you so angry? It's not nice to accuse someone of something that harshly. If atheists and Christians could actually discuss something intelligently together there wouldn't be any need for harsh judgments, hurt feelings and flame wars. Contributing to the hate is not going to work in your favour.

Its not nice to make threads like these either. I get really ticked about things like this, people finding reasons to prove christianity wrong. and in this case its a simple statistic. I'm willing to make an intelligent discussion. But I don't see how much intelligence is going on when someone posts a statistic saying most higher intellectuals are non-believers. I see no point in this thread other than to start controversy.

[hide=]

tip it would pay me $500.00 to keep my clothes ON :( :lol:
But then again, you fail to realize that 101% of the people in this universe hate you. Yes, humankind's hatred against you goes beyond mathematical possibilities.
That tears it. I'm starting an animal rebellion using my mind powers. Those PETA bastards will never see it coming until the porcupines are half way up their asses.
[/hide]

montageo.png

Apparently a lot of people say it. I own.

http://linkagg.com/ Not my site, but a simple, budding site that links often unheard-of websites that are amazing for usefulness and fun.

You don't necessarily have to view it as that Warren, viewing things in that prospective will only make you upset or angry. You could choose to view the thread as a simple statistic that is flawed and give reasons why. Your faith and belief in God doesn't need to be involved in the main point if you don't want it to be. I've chosen to believe it is flawed because IQ can't be accurately measured. That doesn't make fun of athiests and it doesn't make fun of people who believe in God. Instead it focuses on something that doesn't make me uncomfortable. If people make fun of your faith, ignore it. People make fun of my faith all the time but the most important thing is not what other people think, it's how it affects you as a whole.

Sworddude198/Barihawk - Tomatoe, tomato... Does it really matter? Is it so important what you call it? The name doesn't matter so long as it works for the individual. You could call it flying spaghetti monster if you like but it's still going to exist in someones life or not.

igoddessIsig.png

Why are you so angry? It's not nice to accuse someone of something that harshly. If atheists and Christians could actually discuss something intelligently together there wouldn't be any need for harsh judgments, hurt feelings and flame wars. Contributing to the hate is not going to work in your favour.

Its not nice to make threads like these either. I get really ticked about things like this, people finding reasons to prove christianity wrong. and in this case its a simple statistic. I'm willing to make an intelligent discussion. But I don't see how much intelligence is going on when someone posts a statistic saying most higher intellectuals are non-believers. I see no point in this thread other than to start controversy.

No need to worry warren, this hardly proves anything wrong. Smart people believing something doesn't make it right. Having said that, I'd take any study with a grain of salt untill I look into it myself.