Intelligent people = 'less likely to believe in God'

DaN

I heard somewhere that 75% of Havard graduates are Athiests.

:thumbup:

I heard somewhere that a school called Harvard is much better.

We don't, Blue. Ever heard of Einstein or Newton (For you, Zonor! :D)?

catch it now so you can like it before it went so mainstream

• Replies 250
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I myself am athiest, and compared to most people my age I would say im intelligent (Considering that most people my age are immature chavs/wannabe "gangsta's", it isnt hard to be smart to them...).

Yet i disagree with the statement intelligent people are less likely to believe in god. Its more likely that upbringing affects religion more, which may lead to me beleiving the upbringing of someone to be athiests gives them more free time for exaple, an athiest would not have to attend church. From this they have extra time, to read, go on a computer or even watch television, this in turn allows them to expand their knowlage, rather than ponder on what created the universe.

So any study of more intelligent people being athiest Could just be becuase an athieism (sp?) upbringing made them intelligent.

Though i might be wrong, remember, i am just making a theory.

i250746823_89474_2.jpg

I love this sig.

I'm sorry for the typo, Lenticular. I think that generally people who are more intelligent would be more prone to be an athiest, as they take the initiative to think that what they had been raised to beleive is wrong, and think more about it.

I do agree though that your upbringing has a huge impact on your views.

Igor_U_Noobs.gif

tweaked.gif

If a man is not a worker, he is nothing.

BOSS.

I'm sorry for the typo, Lenticular. I think that generally people who are more intelligent would be more prone to be an athiest, as they take the initiative to think that what they had been raised to beleive is wrong, and think more about it.

I agree wit that as well, and I was just poking a bit of fun at you.

By the way, as to the whole "free time" argument, how do you explain Muslims having been the leading scientific group in the Middle Ages, despite praying very often during their day? Sorta defuncts that idea.

By the way, as to the whole "free time" argument, how do you explain Muslims having been the leading scientific group in the Middle Ages, despite praying very often during their day? Sorta defuncts that idea.

lol, good point. They did invent algebra and all.

canadasigxw2.gif

hoffman44redhd5.png

Middle ages is the key word, back then i doubt there were any schools if any, yet muslims beleived that education was important, and decided to learn, and quite possibly teach.

As an athiest, i would like to say im not completely against religeon, i do not buy the whole god concept, but quite frankly, religeon boosts morals, standard and learning. I do think without the muslims back then, we would be behind in our knowlage of the world.

i250746823_89474_2.jpg

I love this sig.

believe it or not, I would have thought it would have been the opposite, I mean the theory of evolution has many flaws, that even some of my friends who have never been christian, and who reject that stuff are starting to doubt evolution, and are completely unsure on so much. Not only that but they are some of my more intelligent friends, I know lots of stupid athiests, but no stupid christians.

Yeah, whatever you say.

Christian#1

[hide=]One of the most basic laws in the universe is the Second Law of Thermodynamics. This states that as time goes by, entropy in an environment will increase. Evolution argues differently against a law that is accepted EVERYWHERE BY EVERYONE. Evolution says that we started out simple, and over time became more complex. That just isn't possible: UNLESS there is a giant outside source of energy supplying the Earth with huge amounts of energy. If there were such a source, scientists would certainly know about it.[/hide]

Christian#2

[hide=]Athiests as a Majority

This is what it would be like, if the majority of people were athiests.

ATHIEST KID: Mom, I'm going to go [bleep] a hooker.

ATHIEST MOM: Okay, son.

ATHIEST KID: Afterwards, I'm going to go smoke pot with my friends, since it's "not addictive."

ATHIEST MOM: Okay, come home soon!

The athiest kid leaves the room. The father comes home from work several minutes later.

ATHIEST DAD: Hey!

ATHIEST MOM: Hi, honey! I'm pregnant again. I guess I'll just get another abortion, since "fetuses don't count as human life."

ATHIEST DAD: Okay, get as many abortions as you want!

ATHIEST MOM: Oh, and don't go in the bedroom.

ATHIEST DAD: Why not?

ATHIEST MOM: There are two gay men [bleep]ing eachother in there.

ATHIEST DAD: Why are they here?

ATHIEST MOM: I wanted to watch them do it for awhile. They just aren't finished yet.

ATHIEST DAD: Okay, that's fine with me!

Suddenly, their neighbor runs into the house.

ATHIEST NEIGHBOR: Come quick, there's a Christian outside!

ATHIEST MOM: We'll be right there!

The athiest couple quickly put on a pair of black robes and hoods. They then exit the house, and run into the street, where a Christian is nailed to a large, wooden X. He is being burned alive. A crowd of athiests stand around him, all wearing black robes and hoods.

RANDOM ATHIEST: Damn you, Christian! We hate you! We claim to be tolerant of all religions. But we really hate your's! That's because we athiests are hypocritical like that! Die, Christian!

THE END

Scary, isn't it?[/hide]

Christian#3

[hide=]Gravity: Doesn't exist. If items of mass had any impact of others, then mountains should have people orbiting them. Or the space shuttle in space should have the astronauts orbiting it. Of course, that's just the tip of the gravity myth. Think about it. Scientists want us to believe that the sun has a gravitation pull strong enough to keep a planet like neptune or pluto in orbit, but then it's not strong enough to keep the moon in orbit? Why is that? What I believe is going on here is this: These objects in space have yet to receive mans touch, and thus have no sin to weigh them down. This isn't the case for earth, where we see the impact of transfered sin to material objects. The more sin, the heavier something is.[/hide]

Christian#4

[hide=][Replying to 'as for not seeing evolution it takes several million years... incase you missed that memo...']

several million years for a monkey to turn into a man. oh wait thats right. monkeys dont live several million years.[/hide]

Christian#5

[hide=]How can anyone beleive we evolved from monkeys heres a few questions for people who beleive that

1.If we did evolve from monkeys then how come babies arent born monkeys

2.Even Darwin said his theories were wrong before he died so why do you still believe them

3.do you really not believe the bible it says we were created in seven days not millions of years

4.how come we cant speak monkey

Just for a fact ape like creatures are monkeys Just in case certain people get on this thread[/hide]

Not as smart as you might think.

Christian#2

ATHIEST KID: Afterwards, I'm going to go smoke pot with my friends, since it's "not addictive."

The athiest kid leaves the room. The father comes home from work several minutes later.

ATHIEST MOM: Hi, honey! I'm pregnant again. I guess I'll just get another abortion, since "fetuses don't count as human life."

ATHIEST MOM: There are two gay men [bleep] eachother in there.

ATHIEST MOM: I wanted to watch them do it for awhile. They just aren't finished yet.

The athiest couple quickly put on a pair of black robes and hoods. They then exit the house, and run into the street, where a Christian is nailed to a large, wooden X. He is being burned alive. A crowd of athiests stand around him, all wearing black robes and hoods.

RANDOM ATHIEST: Damn you, Christian! We hate you! We claim to be tolerant of all religions. But we really hate your's! That's because we athiests are hypocritical like that! Die, Christian!

THE END

Scary, isn't it?[/hide]

Lol =D> One of few things to get a chuckle from me. Where did you find these? Is there some religious forum somewhere?

Foogey.png

I <3 Gears of War 2.

Add me on Xbox Live and mention you are from Tif :D

Christian#2

ATHIEST MOM: There are two gay men [bleep] eachother in there.

THE END

Scary, isn't it?[/hide]

Lol =D> One of few things to get a chuckle from me. Where did you find these? Is there some religious forum somewhere?

http://www.fstdt.com/fundies/top100.aspx?archive=1

They give source and date, knock yourself out.

Christian#1

[hide=]One of the most basic laws in the universe is the Second Law of Thermodynamics. This states that as time goes by, entropy in an environment will increase. Evolution argues differently against a law that is accepted EVERYWHERE BY EVERYONE. Evolution says that we started out simple, and over time became more complex. That just isn't possible: UNLESS there is a giant outside source of energy supplying the Earth with huge amounts of energy. If there were such a source, scientists would certainly know about it.[/hide]

The SUN.

Christian#3

[hide=]What I believe is going on here is this: These objects in space have yet to receive mans touch, and thus have no sin to weigh them down. This isn't the case for earth, where we see the impact of transfered sin to material objects. The more sin, the heavier something is.[/hide]

The earth has more mass than the mountains thats why we don't fly around the rocks, and the moon is much closer to the earth then to the sun, the earth gravity keeps in in its orbit.

What evidence do you have to support your theory? If there is no such thing as gravity.. what causes tides?

Christian#4

[hide=][Replying to 'as for not seeing evolution it takes several million years... incase you missed that memo...']

several million years for a monkey to turn into a man. oh wait thats right. monkeys dont live several million years.[/hide]

That dosent even make sense.

Christian#5

[hide=]How can anyone beleive we evolved from monkeys heres a few questions for people who beleive that

1.If we did evolve from monkeys then how come babies arent born monkeys

2.Even Darwin said his theories were wrong before he died so why do you still believe them

3.do you really not believe the bible it says we were created in seven days not millions of years

4.how come we cant speak monkey[/hide]

1. As a fetus human babies resemble what we evolved from, that why fetuses have a tail.

2. He never said that, that is a lie. Many people after him have found more evidence to support his theories.

3. why would i believe a book that has no supporting evidence, and was made by ancient people that had very little understanding of the world, so they made stuff up, or at least pairtly.

4. We humans still have some body linguistics that monkeys also have.

And that whole atheist margiorty story, I am atheist i do not believe in any of thous things you said. (except for apportion for rape)

Oh and in my home country, atheist/agnostic/etc cover almost 25% of the population.

[hide=big pic]religionincanadaqs3.png[/hide]

canadasigxw2.gif

hoffman44redhd5.png

[hide=]

The SUN.

The earth has more mass than the mountains thats why we don't fly around the rocks, and the moon is much closer to the earth then to the sun, the earth gravity keeps in in its orbit.

What evidence do you have to support your theory? If there is no such thing as gravity.. what causes tides?

That dosent even make sense.

And that whole atheist margiorty story, I am atheist i do not believe in any of thous things you said. (except for apportion for rape)

[/hide]

Those are not my views, that was a response to Mage_Man0103 who was saying religious people are smarter than atheists. (read his post)

*Awkward moment*

I'm gonna be honest, this thread is kinda funny.

I was reading the post with all the fundie jokes, and I realize, those would be examples of the small fundamentalist Christian community, not the entire Christian community. (I am by no means a Christian, just letting you know this is examples of something a fundie would say, I've dealt with a fair few in my lifetime... crunchy and taste good with ketchup ;) )

I was reading the post with all the fundie jokes, and I realize, those would be examples of the small fundamentalist Christian community, not the entire Christian community. (I am by no means a Christian, just letting you know this is examples of something a fundie would say, I've dealt with a fair few in my lifetime... crunchy and taste good with ketchup ;) )

Agreed. Those quotes are completely skewed for your views.

If I was that narrow-minded, I'd search for atheist quotes that make everybody think you're complete morons, but I'm not.

Agreed. Those quotes are completely skewed for your views.

If I was that narrow-minded, I'd search for atheist quotes that make everybody think you're complete morons, but I'm not.

Find at least 10 good ones and post source, until then you are just another troll.

In response to I think, Christian #3:

You're really thinking too horizontally, having no weight (you mean mass, I think) wouldn't pull you down, as you think it.

I.e, if the Earth weighed less, we wouldn't drop -.-

And Darwin never said his ideas were false, nice try though.

Igor_U_Noobs.gif

tweaked.gif

If a man is not a worker, he is nothing.

BOSS.

Find at least 10 good ones and post source, until then you are just another troll.

I'm a troll? You consider someone believing in a higher power unintelligent, lesser people, and I'm the troll?

Well-played, you're obviously the bigger person. I don't even think I'm going to keep in this topic, as you're turning a debate (with a shaky foundation in the first place) into name-calling.

I'm Catholic and my entire church hates me because I brought this up, but this is my belief. As a Catholic, I follow the Bible. The problem is, too many people take the Bible too literally. Was there and Adam and Eve, the God told not to eat from an specific tree in the Garden of Eden? Then when they did, a serpent that turned out to be Satan came? Then, because of this, God sent them to Hell and closed the gates of Heaven? My church believes it to be true. I don't, and they all hate me for it. But here's the thing. It really sounds like a lesson of obedience to me. Don't obey your superiors, and there will be consequences. Do, and you will live in happiness. The same goes for every Bible story. It is HIGHLY unlikely that they are true, but they all have a lesson to teach. Trouble is, most people take it literally. These people are known as Rosie O' Donnel's.

LOTRjokesigedition-1.png

Get back here so I can rub your butt.

this subject is clearly touchy.

personal i view alot of young atheist's and doing it to look cool. like "aw dude i threw my religion away to be unique." My friend ryan is a BIG example of this. perhaps he warped my view on other atheist's as being atheist simply for the shock value. He is your typical goth kid(22 years old) who is a democrat. And has an entirely skewed perspective on MOST things. Good guy and all, but not exactly... uh, i dont know how to explain him well. Perhaps, naive but hes not either.

nice guy, great guy really. I avoid listening to his opinions on serious subject such as religion and human rights.

I believe in, a super being like "god" well, i hope their is. I couldn't ever say if it was real. Just hope.

I find evolution to be a great theory. And is most likely true. And i really dont think that all species were created by a being. Maybe the primordial ooze was created by god? maybe the universe was created by god or whatever. Who knows, whatever. Not exactly my biggest concern.

These people are known as Rosie O' Donnel's.

oh [cabbage], dont even start that stuff up about her. She said something about someone who was black had DNA memories of slavery. or something, feel free to correct me as it was ridiculous and want to know she exactly said.

I would like to know exactly what she said. Tbh, I don't like her so I make fun of her any chance I get :-#

You know who else is a bad person like that? Rosie O'... awww forget it.

LOTRjokesigedition-1.png

Get back here so I can rub your butt.

Ah of course. Now people who don't believe in God have an excuse to say they're smarter. Because of statistics. how wonderful.

[hide=]

tip it would pay me $500.00 to keep my clothes ON :( :lol:
But then again, you fail to realize that 101% of the people in this universe hate you. Yes, humankind's hatred against you goes beyond mathematical possibilities.
That tears it. I'm starting an animal rebellion using my mind powers. Those PETA bastards will never see it coming until the porcupines are half way up their asses.
[/hide]

montageo.png

Apparently a lot of people say it. I own.

http://linkagg.com/ Not my site, but a simple, budding site that links often unheard-of websites that are amazing for usefulness and fun.

In my opinion most people who believe in god know nothing about the religion they follow and just stuck with whatever religion they were brought up to believe in.

However if you become more knowledgeable and look into other things other than just god creating everything you might see them as more rational and logical.

Exactly, people with enough knowledge to go look up the fact that the story of Jesus is an almost exact carbon copy of the story of Mithra are allot less likely to believe anything actually happened.

I'm a troll? You consider someone believing in a higher power unintelligent, lesser people, and I'm the troll?

Well-played, you're obviously the bigger person. I don't even think I'm going to keep in this topic, as you're turning a debate (with a shaky foundation in the first place) into name-calling.

When did I say Christians are unintelligent, lesser people? I was replying to the person who said Christians are smarter, I wasn't saying atheists are a lot smarter either. Stop changing around what I've posted. You clearly ARE a troll, I will stop replying to your posts from this point on.

How is calling me narrow-minded and pretty much calling atheists complete morons isn't trolling and turning this discussion into name calling?

Just because smarter people are nonbelievers doesn't mean they are necessarily right. It only shows that their different style of thinking will lead them to different conclusions - at least on a subject like this.