Updates=Lag (solved)

Imamonkey

Sorry if there is a thread about this already, but I have searched and cannot find one.

Not sure if this is the correct forum, and I am not really ranting, although I am starting to get a wee bit frustrated.

Ever since the last two updates, the ones where they gave a ten minute warning (I do by the way really like the extra time they are now giving, actually gives you time to tie up loose ends if you are doing something that is somewhat time intensive and can't just drop what you are doing at the drop of a hat) the game has become almost un-playable for me. And I am pretty sure it is not my computer. I have plenty of processor and memory, in fact, overkill for what is needed to play. And I have broadband Internet.

I am still having this problem to this moment. I figure it is from so many people downloading the updates, and I am guessing they are bigger than the usual updates.

I can be playing, and the game just locks up. I have to hit the home button, reload, and log in again.

I quit Temple Building because I got tired of losing my sanctity. It happened quite a few times on Slayer Assignments when I have been fighting Greater Demons and Iron Dragons. And you can Imagine how this makes me feel when that happens. Especially at the Dragons.

Is it just me, or is this a problem with a lot of you other players?

If this is the case, maybe a dedicated server for downloading updates? I would rather have to take longer to download updates than for it to be affecting my game play for so long!!!

Peace

in4F.gif

I agree, my computer with my new graphics card should be running it completely lag free. It basically does, even on Fullscreen autoaliasingx4. But it still lags a tiny bit but more in GE and Party Pete. And Smartme, that wasn't very smart.

Flaw of it being browser based? :?

I am not ranting. I am simply stating the the game play experience I have had lately, and asking others if they are having the same problem. Seeing as how it started after the last two updates.

And over the Internet, you suggest what I should do with my computer like you are some kind of Guru with a magic ball and know what is wrong with my computer.

I guess having gone through a CISCO Academy and numerous other Computer Networking and Security courses I have no clue about computers.

GTFOH

Peace

in4F.gif

I am not ranting. I am simply stating the the game play experience I have had lately, and asking others if they are having the same problem. Seeing as how it started after the last two updates.

And over the Internet, you suggest what I should do with my computer like you are some kind of Guru with a magic ball and know what is wrong with my computer.

I guess having gone through a CISCO Academy and numerous other Computer Networking and Security courses I have no clue about computers.

GTFOH

Peace

There's no need to be rude, some users are just trying to find reasons to help you in regard to the lag. And personally, I've not seen an increase in lag.

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

RIP Michaelangelopolous

Well, maybe in their world, they cannot discuss an issue without it being a rant.

In my world, I can discuss an issue without it being a rant.

Problem solved. I am a Linux user, therefore restarting my computer usually does not cross my mind. I have not turned off or restarted my computer in over a year. Usually the only time it gets restarted is during a power failure. Anywho, I got to thinking, maybe I will just restart it like all those Windows users do sometimes to solve little issues like this. Wa-la, it worked!!!

Peace

in4F.gif

I am just assuming the reason it is better than before for you (and I am completely assuming) is that maybe before you were using low detail? Now there is not the option to run low detail.

Not considering HD. Before that ever came along, contrary to popular belief, RS actually rendered better in high detail, hence less lag in high detail. The reason is, it is meant to render in high detail. In low detail, it actually had to remove some graphic detail, thus actually increasing the problem with lag. High detail wasn't adding to, low detail was taking away, if you get my drift.

But as I mentioned, problem solved.

Peace

in4F.gif

weird how i play like always. i felt no chance at. no lag no dc no nothing.

My private chat is always ON.

Winner of The Tip.It Teamcape Outfit Contest!

6 years. 1 dragon CS drop and some barrows, bad luck?

99melee.jpg

i think you mean change

but anyway, things like this do happen occasionally. TBH, i have no idea how they happen or how to fix them. Sometimes updating things like your java works, clear your cache. But apparently the restart worked for you... so yeah. Maybe this could serve the rest of us, try the restart if all else fails.

i think you mean change

but anyway, things like this do happen occasionally. TBH, i have no idea how they happen or how to fix them. Sometimes updating things like your java works, clear your cache. But apparently the restart worked for you... so yeah. Maybe this could serve the rest of us, try the restart if all else fails.

rofl yeah i meant change :lol:

My private chat is always ON.

Winner of The Tip.It Teamcape Outfit Contest!

6 years. 1 dragon CS drop and some barrows, bad luck?

99melee.jpg

i think you mean change

Actually, I would say to restart first before you try anything else. Nothing worse than doing too much to fix a problem that would just require restarting. Prime example: I was having problems playing a game and I thought that it had something to do with outdated video card drivers, so I went to my video card manufacturer's website and downloaded new drivers. Long story short, the new drives screwed up my frame rate so much that you could see the screen refresh ever-so-slowly from the top to the bottom when you scrolled down any page. I ended up going back to the old drivers, restarting my computer, and the problem was fixed.

mrE.png

"We will certainly not be gaining money or members with this update. Instead, we are doing this for the good of the game, which is as dear to our hearts as it is to you."

- JAGEX, December 13, 2007

There's definitely been an increase in lag, it shows itself whenever I open a second browser. And I have comcast high speed internet.

Lugia_Lvl138.png

4x Phat owner: Blue, Green, 2x Purple

3100+ GWD bosses soloed.

Solo GWD Drops:

5 Bandos Plates, 4 Bandos Boots, 3 Bandos Hilts, 2 Arma Helms, Arma Skirt, Arma Plate, 3 Arma Hilts, 4 Zammy Spears, Steam Staff, 15 Sara Swords, 6 Sara Hilts, 29 Shards.

There's definitely been an increase in lag, it shows itself whenever I open a second browser. And I have comcast high speed internet.

That's probably more to do with your ram and processor power than your internet connection. The new high detail mode needs alot more resources to keep a decent frame rate (With most settings) with OpenGL than the previous Java display. Lag is quite often mistaken for a low fps but really its to do with their set up not server communication.

That's what I found out anyway, upped my ram from 1gb to 4gb have no problem whatsoever now.

TERA.pngtera2.gif

tera.pngsig_corner.png

Thanks Gradeskip93 for my awesome sig!

Lag reeeally doesn't depend on your computer, it's usually based on your isp. I have less than 100Mhz over the min reqs for hd, and 512M of ram (not much) and I never lag. At all.

Yes, but if its only happening while running more processes (such as another browser window or program) it can cause a lag like effect. If its just lagging all the time then its likely there is either an overloaded server or you have a poor connection. Restarting often helps clear up any memory issues which can fix similar lag problems.

Try opening a few memory intensive programs while playing high detail...

TERA.pngtera2.gif

tera.pngsig_corner.png

Thanks Gradeskip93 for my awesome sig!

It could be: your memory, your processor, your isp, where your house is in relation to your isp's servers, the weather and probably a few other things, I personally get some lag but put that down to the fact my computer doesn't have a stand alone graphics card and thus all my computers memory gets used up (also I only get lag sometimes, irrelevant of (RS)world population and/or where I am on the world).

Two things people can try if they are still having problems is updating your Java via your control panel>java options>update and also updating your video card drivers.

You can update the drivers by going to control panel>system information to find out what brand card and type of card you have, then visiting the website of that manufacturer or for older cards searching on internet search engines for that card type and adding the word driver to the search.

This last one solved my lag problem immediately.