Andylax38's 9 Lob Bursting/Barraging Guide

andylax38

First of all great guide, I have been using it for a little while now working towards getting 88 summoning. I noticed something about the guide you may want to change, or maybe add a quick note. The god cape adds +10 magic attack, and the Ardy (3) diary cape adds +6 magic/prayer bonus, it depends on how you use your prayer obviously, but the extra prayer bonus I think makes it better. Just wanted to add that.

Dakr06.png

• Replies 249
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is it good to use 10% or 15% mage prayer while you burst/barrage, or what about leech magic?

Still wondering this, also wondering how many magic potions to bring vs prayer pots, assuming 80 magic and 80 prayer. And what to let magic to fall to before using another dose.

You'll get the same charms per hour but more xp per spell

77yLQy8.png

First of all great guide, I have been using it for a little while now working towards getting 88 summoning. I noticed something about the guide you may want to change, or maybe add a quick note. The god cape adds +10 magic attack, and the Ardy (3) diary cape adds +6 magic/prayer bonus, it depends on how you use your prayer obviously, but the extra prayer bonus I think makes it better. Just wanted to add that.

Good call I'll add that in, pretty sure there's some other new stuff I need to add as well.

~>~Check Out My Bursting Guide~<~

Current goals - 99 Slayer, 99 Summoning, 85 Dungeoneering

Achieved goals - Quest Cape, 99 Strength, 85 Slayer, 99 Range, 88 Summoning, 90 Slayer, 99 Magic, 99 Farming

Good call I'll add that in, pretty sure there's some other new stuff I need to add as well.

Such as falador shield 3, free prayer restore ftw.

Also, It might be worth mentioning that if you have 90+ defense, you can effectively tank lobsters for most of the lure,(tho you still need to pray when there's 9 lobs on you!) saving you many, many prayer potions.

Linkzelda30.jpeg

image2ez.png

[hide=Siggy credits]The Awesome, Epic, Amazing, S3xah A-10 Sig By Unolexi! I wub u Uno!

InsanityV2 Did the Franz Ferdinand Sig.

Killerwatt is responsible for the Arctic Monkeys sig.

Pat_61 did the B-2 sig and the raptor sig.[/hide]

• 2 weeks later...

Aww andy, i just realized all your numbers are off now cuz of the 10% damage boost mage change...

Yea it'll definitely mean more exp per cast, which will probably change the charm counts. I don't have the time or cash to do more runs right now so just gonna have to stay like it is.

Achieved goals - Quest Cape, 99 Strength, 85 Slayer, 99 Range, 88 Summoning, 90 Slayer, 99 Magic, 99 Farming

• 3 weeks later...

Using ROW gives more crimsons imo. When I slay I use zerker and get less charms compared to using wealth.

Also farseer and ahrims hood have the same bonuses. A god mitre is also good there because it gives a prayer and magic bonus.

We now know ROW means nothing with charm drops (this is just for an update so no one wastes their ring slow anymore).

• 2 weeks later...

Using ROW gives more crimsons imo. When I slay I use zerker and get less charms compared to using wealth.

Also farseer and ahrims hood have the same bonuses. A god mitre is also good there because it gives a prayer and magic bonus.

We now know ROW means nothing with charm drops (this is just for an update so no one wastes their ring slow anymore).

Getting more charms with a RoW is purely in your head.

• 3 weeks later...

great guide, I'll probably use it for a large part of 99 mage / 88 summoning :grin:

here's a bit of info for anyone thinking about taking battle robes.

equipped inven:

full battle robes

glory

god cape

zammy book

void mace

barrows gloves

mystic boots

ring of life

that leaves me with +96 mage and +14 prayer while casting. I average about 19 casts per kill, bursting at level 91 mage.

I haven't ever recorded the amount of runes saved, but at 88 mage i had 6k ice bursts and 400 blood bursts. It took me 750k hitpoints xp to use them up (not sure how much mage xp)

one must with the robes is to unequip them for lures, since they degrade during all combat. i take proselyte plate, legs and neitiiznot. I also take a stole, since I get bored staying for a full load of ppots and so don't need the inven space. It can be an effort changing every lure, if this bothers you.

as for worrying about fog time to get the robes, I had mine long before I considered bursting and so it wasn't a problem... since the latest update they only cost 275 tokens to recharge, which only take an hour or two to get. My robes were on 20 after the first trip, in which i used about 4k casts worth of runes, though i probably cast more like 4,8k spells. When recharging, use the robes on the guy to first degrade them to 0 (if you finished a trip before they did themselves), then use them on him again to recharge.

all said, and from reading / seeing other people bursting with the same level, I'd highly recommend them to anyone who enjoys playing fog - if 99 mage cost you 60m, it would potentially cost only 48m with the robes.

another quick tip. If for any reason you end up with a dag on you while bursting, always cast on him. The game mechanics take the defence of the target, and they have much lower magic defence than the rock lobs. When I do this every spell hits for damage, meaning more xp and cheaper charms.

That said, never do this deliberately, as only 9 monsters can be hit at once so you'll end up with a rock lob at the end. This only applies if you accidently lure one and can't be bothered to repeat the lure, or if you're interrupted by a range dag half way through.

great guide, I'll probably use it for a large part of 99 mage / 88 summoning :grin:

here's a bit of info for anyone thinking about taking battle robes.

equipped inven:

full battle robes

glory

god cape

zammy book

void mace

barrows gloves

mystic boots

ring of life

that leaves me with +96 mage and +14 prayer while casting. I average about 19 casts per kill, bursting at level 91 mage.

I haven't ever recorded the amount of runes saved, but at 88 mage i had 6k ice bursts and 400 blood bursts. It took me 750k hitpoints xp to use them up (not sure how much mage xp)

one must with the robes is to unequip them for lures, since they degrade during all combat. i take proselyte plate, legs and neitiiznot. I also take a stole, since I get bored staying for a full load of ppots and so don't need the inven space. It can be an effort changing every lure, if this bothers you.

as for worrying about fog time to get the robes, I had mine long before I considered bursting and so it wasn't a problem... since the latest update they only cost 275 tokens to recharge, which only take an hour or two to get. My robes were on 20 after the first trip, in which i used about 4k casts worth of runes, though i probably cast more like 4,8k spells. When recharging, use the robes on the guy to first degrade them to 0 (if you finished a trip before they did themselves), then use them on him again to recharge.

all said, and from reading / seeing other people bursting with the same level, I'd highly recommend them to anyone who enjoys playing fog - if 99 mage cost you 60m, it would potentially cost only 48m with the robes.

another quick tip. If for any reason you end up with a dag on you while bursting, always cast on him. The game mechanics take the defence of the target, and they have much lower magic defence than the rock lobs. When I do this every spell hits for damage, meaning more xp and cheaper charms.

That said, never do this deliberately, as only 9 monsters can be hit at once so you'll end up with a rock lob at the end. This only applies if you accidently lure one and can't be bothered to repeat the lure, or if you're interrupted by a range dag half way through.

I wouldn't recommend using the battle robes w/o the staff of light, and I wouldn't recommend using the staff of light w/o battle robes. People only use battle robes there when they've got a SoL because you save a massive 50% of your runes. You're really not getting the most bang for your buck (or your time either) if you aren't using those two together. The optimum setup is:

Battle robe set

Staff of light

Ring of life

God stole

Soul wars cape

Boots of lightness (not worth risking infinity boots for a magic boost which won't help you)

Barrows gloves (don't need penance gloves cuz of energy update)

Zammy book

77yLQy8.png

I agree... yet surely there's no harm in using only one, if you don't have the cash for the staff or the patience for the robes?

For myself I have very little money at any one time since I spend impulsivelyy on expensive skill training (such as this!), and no friends who own a staff to lend me. I could try and rent one but I imagine it would be difficult to get for the 6 hours or more that i'd spend on a trip.

I agree... yet surely there's no harm in using only one, if you don't have the cash for the staff or the patience for the robes?

For myself I have very little money at any one time since I spend impulsivelyy on expensive skill training (such as this!), and no friends who own a staff to lend me. I could try and rent one but I imagine it would be difficult to get for the 6 hours or more that i'd spend on a trip.

Well the problem with robes is they only save you one death or blood rune if the set effect takes place. If you have the SoL too, you have a 50% chance of saving 4 deaths, 2 bloods, and 6 waters, as well as the normal chances of saving 1 blood or 1 death from the robes. If you're not gonna use both, it's better to use the SoL since it saves you every rune instead of just one. The robes on their own aren't worth the time spent recharging them.

77yLQy8.png

Safespot mentioned in the guide doesn't work anymore. Now you have to just catch them on the end of the same rock but they will not come down if you go right and left in that area, and if they do come down there will be no place where they get stuck for a safespot. You have to go up a bit and when the drops come you have to pray when they respawn so you don't get owned. Either that or you can use the ladder or one of the rock walls near the ladder.

Safespot mentioned in the guide doesn't work anymore. Now you have to just catch them on the end of the same rock but they will not come down if you go right and left in that area, and if they do come down there will be no place where they get stuck for a safespot. You have to go up a bit and when the drops come you have to pray when they respawn so you don't get owned. Either that or you can use the ladder or one of the rock walls near the ladder.

that spot is fine if you pick up loot quickly, before they spawn. However you can instead stand one step to the right of the one in the guide, luring the lobs round the corner by standing a step left from the lobs' position in the guide. Looting like this you won't get spawned on, but if the one to the north of you dies first and spawns before you fnish killing he'll be on you (doesn't happen 90% of the time)

that spot is fine if you pick up loot quickly, before they spawn. However you can instead stand one step to the right of the one in the guide, luring the lobs round the corner by standing a step left from the lobs' position in the guide. Looting like this you won't get spawned on, but if the one to the north of you dies first and spawns before you fnish killing he'll be on you (doesn't happen 90% of the time)

Haven't been there in a while but what Icarium says is how I remember it so I'm gonna go with what he said. Thanks for all the replies and data everyone, I'll get around to updating the guide later this week. Finally got some free time :P

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

normally uou can get 440 per 1k barrage, since battle robes and SoL halves rune cost you are in essence casting 20k barrages therfore you should obtain 20*440= 8800 crims

So I was thinking of using the SOL and getting battle robes, but is the Tome of frost and the new necklaces worth it?

[hide]

99 Strength 99 Fletching 99 Range 99 Hitpoints 99 Attack

99 Dungeoneering <3 99 Magic 99 Smithing 99 Herblore

99 Theving

Slayer Drops: 14 whips, 22 D boots, 27 Granite Mauls, 42 Effigies, 5 Dark Bows.

What would be cool is if Drakan and his minions kill all the sig heroes in the quest except Raptor who is wrecking. You and him team up and cave in some vampyre heads. He becomes a total bro in future quests and in a GM quest he receives a fatal injury and his last dying words to you are "Brofist, mang"

[/hide]

normally uou can get 440 per 1k barrage, since battle robes and SoL halves rune cost you are in essence casting 20k barrages therfore you should obtain 20*440= 8800 crims

So I was thinking of using the SOL and getting battle robes, but is the Tome of frost and the new necklaces worth it?

I don't think they'd help too much, unless you already have them. Not sure if the new necklace boosts would help with only one lob or every lob, since extreme mage pot boost only affects the lob you target. But I would assume it would affect every lob since I believe the SoL's boost effects every lob (not sure on this one). The tome of frost would help, but it wouldn't save too much money really, compared to the rest of the runes. Unless you already have the tokens for the new stuff, I'd say its not worth it, unless you enjoy dungeoneering and are willing to give up tokens.

C_ac_t_u_a_r.png