Reference

wizarthas460

have you ever seen anything in runescape that you might think: "hey, I have seen that before.." like in a movie or somthing like that?

i found some references or cameo's

you found more? post them!

here they are:

almost 100% sure:

first of course, monty python. these references are most known by most rs players

first one: "This is not the mightiest tree in the forest." when using a raw herring on a tree

second: "he's a lumberjack and he's ok" when examining the lumberjack on miscelania.

Tenzig, the sherpa from the death plateau quest could be referring to Tenzig Norgay, the one who went with sir edmond hillary to reach the mount everest top for the first time.

Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde (random), uhm....The Strange Case of Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde?(book) or movie:Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde

stronghold of security, referring tot the bible, the apocalypse

not really sure:

again , monty python:

holy grail quest? could be, but also could just be referring to the king arthur tales

ali morrisane with his fake beards?

king vargas on miscelania could be referring to final fantasy:

look at this pic:

vargas.jpg

link to site

although the king looks like the yeti ulmaro, it has the name of the other personage underneath it.

coincidence?

You found more? post them so we can make a nice collection of it

I believe there is already a topic, but w/e.

During one of the conversations with a Karamthulu Overlord, it goes (or fairly close):

KARAM:"Bow down before my awesome might!"

YOU:"You see...I would but I have a cramp on my knee"

Perhaps from 300? When Xerxes has a parley with Leonidus:

XEX:"...and all you need to do is kneel"

LEO:"...but the concept of kneeling, you see I have a nasty cramp on my leg from killing all your men. So kneeling will be difficult for me"

Sorry if the dialouges aren't correct. This is from memory.

There was a post that compared the Tzhaar to Predator lol, and there were striking similarities.

In the church in Varrock, there's someone called Jeremy Clarksin.

There's someone else, too, but I can't remember off the top of my head.

I love when games use allusions and parodies of popular culture, it adds that extra element to the game.

spacescenev24.jpg

I think this will provide an interesting read:

http://runescape.wikia.com/wiki/Cultural_references

My personal favorite:

Bork from the Hunt for Surok miniquest has references to the species Borg from all Star Trek TV series. His name included, the Ork legions he summons say the Borg phrase: "Resistance is futile!", and refer to themselves as the Collective. (By saying "We are the collective!")

pepijn777.png

Rocnar - POH Dungeun Monster

Backwards=

RANCOR - Star Wars (mainly) dungeun Monster

08fbca3311.png

Electrone0.png

Winged Fish on a RWT complaint-

There's four complaints on the whole site, one from a mother who was convinced by her son that the RWTers she was buying him items from were from Jagex (and then got scammed and is taking it out on Jagex), two people complaining about having their accounts taken away, and one ranting on the trade restrictions and wilderness removal.

Now just change the background color and page layout, and you have the RSoF

In the giant mole's lair, there are a few references to the Austin Powers movies.

When you examine the baby moles it either says, "I shall call him, mini mole" or "mooooole!"

The first reference comes from Dr. Evil, when he says "I shall call him... mini-me"

And the second one is when Austin Powers meets the undercover mole, who funnily enough, has a large mole on his face. Austin Powers can't seem to ignore it, and says silly things like "mooole"

Those two weren't even on the RS wiki, I'm pretty proud of myself.

-Recksash

Recksash.png

Politics,n. Strife of interests masquerading as a conflict of principles. -Ambrose Bierce

Barrow drops:

Verac's Helm

In the giant mole's lair, there are a few references to the Austin Powers movies.

When you examine the baby moles it either says, "I shall call him, mini mole" or "mooooole!"

The first reference comes from Dr. Evil, when he says "I shall call him... mini-me"

And the second one is when Austin Powers meets the undercover mole, who funnily enough, has a large mole on his face. Austin Powers can't seem to ignore it, and says silly things like "mooole"

Those two weren't even on the RS wiki, I'm pretty proud of myself.

-Recksash

Dr. Evil one is, sorry. But the other is not.

NPC Contact, contacting the "random" NPC brings a lot of such references. Ex: Prank calling Blurberry=Prank Calling, Lunar Service System (or something like that)=annoying thing when your telephone call doesn't work, etc.

I once encountered this monster that once said "get in ma belly!"

And the spirit scorpion says "say hello to my little friend"

ibiteu2death.png

[hide=Funny Quote]

Cbow! Cbow!!!!! +120 range is orgasmic. Or maul, thats what I'd get out of those two options.

I agree with baconisbacon, Cbow looks freaking sensual

Runescape: Where strong weapons bring sexual pleasure.

The size of the e-peen0r is directly proportional to the rarity/power of one's equipment.

[/hide]

I have no idea what Monty Python is, but everyone talks about the reference with the herring and the tree.

It must be a pretty well known reference if it reaches someone who doesn't even know what Monty Python is. ;)

cgknightofroundsorigina.jpg

99 Hits, Attack, Strength, Defence, Mage, Summoning, Slayer, Ranged, 96/99 Prayer

Haha, I love the Monty Python ones. :D What a great show. And to someone who said that the Dr. Evil reference was one, but the other one wasn't... I'm sure it is. :P Have you even seen Austin Powers Gold Member? I believe that's where it comes from.

Blakdragon39.png

Dr. Evil one is, sorry. But the other is not.

Yes because you know their inspiration for these examines.

I mean the other one was on the Wiki. I did not mean to suggest that it wasn't a reference.