Olympics 2008

mrpez

The thing about this whole Chinese gymnast controversy is really only a question of two athletes out of six. Four of the girls look perfectly 15 or 16 without any question. They have been training just as hard as the two who look prepubescent, who are the girls that are the issue.

Also about the American coaches. None of them are American. There's a Russian, Romanian, and Chinese coach, all of which who are gold medal winners. If they complain, they probably have a legitimate reason.

Untitled.png

My heart is broken by the terrible loss I have sustained in my old friends and companions and my poor soldiers. Believe me, nothing except a battle lost can be half so melancholy as a battle won. -Sir Arthur Wellesley

• Replies 386
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The thing about this whole Chinese gymnast controversy is really only a question of two athletes out of six. Four of the girls look perfectly 15 or 16 without any question. They have been training just as hard as the two who look prepubescent, who are the girls that are the issue.

Also about the American coaches. None of them are American. There's a Russian, Romanian, and Chinese coach, all of which who are gold medal winners. If they complain, they probably have a legitimate reason.

They're complaining because they lost. People have been doing it since the beginning of time. Politicians, athletes, kids playing games, everyone tries to find an excuse as to why they lost. Think of it this way, if China didn't get the gold, do you think anyone would be complaining about a girl being underage?

TETsig.jpeg

YOU! ATTEND TET EVENTS! CLICK HERE!

this is the medal count link (which will now be found in the first post): http://sports.yahoo.com/olympics/beijing/medals

this is the article link (read this! it is pretty interesting): http://sports.yahoo.com/olympics/beijin ... oly,101537

That article is incredibly immature, baised and twisted, to be honest.

Plus that's about the only medals table I've seen which puts number of medals above gold medals won. In every other medals table, even without the events where judges are involved, China is still beating the US.

It just reeks of sour grapes. Can't you guys just enjoy the sport on show instead of whining because you don't get Gold whenever China beats you?

No, because like I said before, the Olympics are just a political spectacle; an act of going to war without going to war. It's been like this for decades.

They're complaining because they lost. People have been doing it since the beginning of time. Politicians, athletes, kids playing games, everyone tries to find an excuse as to why they lost. Think of it this way, if China didn't get the gold, do you think anyone would be complaining about a girl being underage?

Probably not, considering that all of our girls (and those from the other nations) have, can, and will provide concrete proof that they are eligible for competition beyond the call of the IOC's meager requirements. Yuyuan can't even provide a freaking birth certificate, just the passport which is sadly all that is required.

I've spent the past year with people aged 14-17, including ones who have been training for athletic competition. They generally look *more* mature for their age, even the gymnasts. I have not met a single person who has not said "bullcrap if that girl is 15" yet.

Untitled.png

My heart is broken by the terrible loss I have sustained in my old friends and companions and my poor soldiers. Believe me, nothing except a battle lost can be half so melancholy as a battle won. -Sir Arthur Wellesley

Well I guess I'm the first then, Bari. I know people as old as 18 who are as short as 5ft tall and look to have baby fat on them. On of my oldest friends can't grow facial hair and is mistaken for an 11 year old often ( :lol: )

So yes, I think she is old enough.

TETsig.jpeg

Well I guess I'm the first then, Bari. I know people as old as 18 who are as short as 5ft tall and look to have baby fat on them. On of my oldest friends can't grow facial hair and is mistaken for an 11 year old often ( :lol: )

So yes, I think she is old enough.

One of my best friends is 5 ft. tall. She's going to be a Senior this year and looks nothing like those girls do.

Hell I'm going to be 19 in 2 months and I can't grow facial hair longer than 1/2". It's...disappointing.

phpFffu7GPM.jpg

"He could climb to it, if he climbed alone, and once there he could suck on the pap of life, gulp down the incomparable milk of wonder."

The chinese obviously lie about their athletes ages, theres no way all of the chinese gymnists are 6 years, they don't looks, act, or just simply are not 16... :lol:

Crazeattic.png

99 Fletching - 08/14/08

Fire Cape - 3/7/09

Quest Cape - 12/29/09

99 Defense - 3/17/10

Is this just a gymnastics thing? Because we had a diver called Tom Daley that is 14. :?

That's the thing that gets me. Why is it only in gymnastics that we have this rule?

Because children are far more limber and nimble at younger ages. Your flexibility decreases a great amount as you age, especially in that particular age-bracket.

Normally I would be like "Well, who really cares?", but in gymnastics it is quite a big deal. :|

edit: Hmmm...interesting 1_man_army.

Is this just a gymnastics thing? Because we had a diver called Tom Daley that is 14. :?

That's the thing that gets me. Why is it only in gymnastics that we have this rule?

From my reading it is to prevent younger gymnasts from sustaining injuries (presumably ones that would affect them as they continued to grow). I always thought it had something to do the muscles being more supple when your younger but that doesn't appear to be the case.

Age falsification has been a problem in gymnastics since the 1980s, after the minimum age was raised from 14 to 15 to protect young athletes from serious injuries. The minimum age was raised to its current 16 in 1997.

http://sports.yahoo.com/olympics/beijin ... &type=lgns

wild_bunch.gif

He who learns must suffer, and, even in our sleep, pain that cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart,

and in our own despair, against our will, comes wisdom to us by the awful grace of God.

- Aeschylus (525 BC - 456 BC)

[hide=]
I'm getting sick of these Olympics and more particular the women gymnastics.

Nastia Liukin got robbed (Shawn Johnson too). I mean what the hell is up with that tie breaker last night? (Thanks a lot Aussies)

ept_sports_oly_experts-387509374-1219085034.jpg?ymrb13_CkOpbX8EM

Look @ the Middle Girl "He Kexin"

If she is 16, then I must over 25. (I'm 18)

Chinese people are naturally short and look younger than the rest of the world. But just because a girl is good at a sport, why does everyone automatically assume that she cheated to get there? Is it so hard to believe that she is actually old enough to be there? Besides, it's not exactly easy to fake you way into the Olympics.

Another thing, why does everyone think the judges are stupid and robbed Nastia Liukin of a gold medal? I'd like to think that those x-olympians know what to judge rather than some random spectator :? .

"But just because a girl is good at a sport, why does everyone automatically assume that she cheated to get there?"

Are we saying that about any other girl? Even when half the sports in the olympics are womens sports?

Either way, excessive exercising from a young age can stunt growth, and basically delay the start of puberty. I can't find an article I had that backs that up.

I still think 16 is a stretch, but she's not 9...

Do you mean to tell me that

This person

juwenjun01.jpg

is the same age as that chinese girl at the olympics? I don't think so.

And if anybody was even WATCHING the event, you could see that Shawn Jhonson had a near perfect routine, and then the chinese person makes 2 mistakes, steps out of bounds once, and falls once, and yet they get the same execution score. I don't care how "pro" you are at gymnastics. I don't see how the two are worth the same execution value.

Yeah I'm hearing a lot about how we got ripped off. The judges are either idiots, blind, or biased

[/hide]

I'd say it was either the first one or the third :P

Anyway, can somebody tell me why the judging system is set up the way it is? (In other words, why they drop off the two highest and the two lowest scores?)

Factor out anomolous or what you might consider biased results, so if you get 5 10's you will get 10 regardless.Im sure theres a better explanation for why and i know theres a mathematical reason but i dont remember...

Ok, so then would someone please explain to me how putting back in 3 of those results as a tie breaker is fair?

It's the first competition for the new judging system, we were expecting bugs. And we found a way to break it. As I said earlier, ties should be rewarded with two medals just like EVERY other Olympic event. Especially in such a subjective sport. This isn't swimming where Omega has sensors that measure to .00001.

Untitled.png

It's the first competition for the new judging system, we were expecting bugs. And we found a way to break it. As I said earlier, ties should be rewarded with two medals just like EVERY other Olympic event. Especially in such a subjective sport. This isn't swimming where Omega has sensors that measure to .00001.

Are you saying that both of them should get a gold medal instead of a tie-breaker?

TETsig.jpeg

Are you saying that both of them should get a gold medal instead of a tie-breaker?

That's how it used to work, and how it works in every other sport.

Two golds, no silver, bronze.

Untitled.png

That's how it used to work, and how it works in every other sport.

Two golds, no silver, bronze.

I thought they said something as to why they wouldn't do this. The olympics are there to decide who the best in the world is, not to see who gets the best score. If they get an even score, they've got to do further tests to decide who should be crowned the best.

TETsig.jpeg

Bolt just broke the 200 record. And this time he actually gave effort. That was sure a hell of a run.

Yeah you're right, since he failed to run for 5m he really didn't give effort the whole race. :roll: Get over yourself and stop being such a misanthrope. Get a hobby and stop finding every little thing to complain about.

phpFffu7GPM.jpg

"He could climb to it, if he climbed alone, and once there he could suck on the pap of life, gulp down the incomparable milk of wonder."

Bolt just broke the 200 record. And this time he actually gave effort. That was sure a hell of a run.

Yeah you're right, since he failed to run for 5m he really didn't give effort the whole race. :roll: Get over yourself and stop being such a misanthrope. Get a hobby and stop finding every little thing to complain about.

I meant the last race.

My carbon footprint is bigger than yours...and you know what they say about big feet.

These are the times that try mens souls...

I meant the last race.

Yeah and for the 100m you were complaining he didn't try, even though he still set the record.

phpFffu7GPM.jpg

I'm quite interested to see the boxing finals,since my teacher thinks China will get it and I think its possible for France (well,I've watched and thats what I think).My wallet says betting time.

devilgod.jpeg

so i herd u liek devarts?

If you look at me and feel offended by my 666-ism,think.I could be just as offended by your "cross".

[hide=This's why I'm hot]

The Eleventh Commandment:Thou Shalst only say "Amen,brother".

Amen, brother :lol:

Amen, brudda (referring to the 10th commandment)

amen Bruder! (german ftw)

I'm invulnerable to everything, except Lenin and Dragoonson.

That's impossible.

I love people.[/hide]