Manga/Anime Discussion

Warrior_B666

It shouldn't work

It works

10:53 PM - retech9691: I feel the need
10:53 PM - retech9691: To include many chasms in my story arc
10:53 PM - Resistance: You mean plotholes?

Remember, Remember, the 4th of November

RIP Dawngate ;-;

Just letting all you anime fans know about a brilliant Kickstarter a games journalist here in the UK has launched - a book called The Untold History of Japanese Game Developers. Probably of interest to some of you.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1748556728/the-untold-history-of-japanese-game-developers

"Imagine yourself surrounded by the most horrible cripples and maniacs it is possible to conceive, and you may understand a little of my feelings with these grotesque caricatures of humanity about me."

- H.G. Wells, The Island of Doctor Moreau

Shingeki no Kyojiin is really good so far, but I haven't been watching anything else. What are some other good currently-airing shows?

Depends on what you're looking for.

If you want a good comedy, Hataraku Maou-Sama is alright.

If you're looking for some occasional action and a mildly interesting story, and don't mind a terribly pandering first season, and the fact that all of THAT was based on another two-season series, parts of which can be even WORSE... To Aru Kagaku no Railgun S.

Also, though I haven't watched it in a while, there's Suisei no Gargantia. I don't even know what that's supposed to be like, I didn't watch it for more than an episode or three.

RIP Dawngate ;-;

Suisei is pretty good. Not as good at shingeki though :P they've moved on from the slice of life/fanservice stuff to actual serious story, so that's nice. I don't know how they'll finish the storyline with so few eps left.. too short.

2480+ total

Suisei is rapidly transitioning from SoL to existential horror, so it's good if you like that and are patient.

I've recently (well, in the past several months) completed:

-The Higurashi series

-The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya and The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya

-Code Geass

And holy double Atche Eee double hockeysticks the Haruhi Suzumiya movie was beautiful.

The only difference between Hitler and the man next door who comes home and beats his kids every day is circumstance. The intent is the same-- to harm others.

[hide=Tifers say the darndest things]

I told her there was a secret method to doing it - and there is - but my once nimble and agile fingers were unable to perform because I was under the influence.

I would laugh, not hate. I'm a male. :(

Since when was Ireland an island...? :wall:

I actually have a hobby of licking public toilet seats.

[/hide]

the last two episodes of shingeki no kyojin could've v. easily been merged into one and been a lot better for it. the characters are pretty good but they're dragged down by the anime bullshit and terrible over explanatory dialogue some animes have.

definitely looking forward to the next one tho

also the opening theme owns bones

FBqTDdL.jpg

sleep like dead men

wake up like dead men

• 2 weeks later...

Just finished watching Samurai 7 and damn is it good. Good story, excellent character development and just enough comedy and action thrown in between all the story in the first few episodes to keep it from dragging too much. I just wish it was longer.

...is it just me, or does that seem to happen a lot with really good anime series?

f2punitedfcbanner_zpsf83da077.png

THE place for all free players to connect, hang out and talk about how awesome it is to be F2P.

So, Kaida is the real version of every fictional science-badass? That explains a lot, actually...

Just finished watching Samurai 7 and damn is it good. Good story, excellent character development and just enough comedy and action thrown in between all the story in the first few episodes to keep it from dragging too much. I just wish it was longer.

...is it just me, or does that seem to happen a lot with really good anime series?

I still haven't filled the voids following Madoka and Angel Beats!, they suffered from the too-good-to-last problem as well.

RIP Dawngate ;-;

I've been burning through anime at an absurd pace lately....

I've recently finished:

-Another: It's a decent horror anime but nothing amazing. The buildup was really well done but once

people started dying in improbable ways it started to lose a lot of the atmosphere in my opinion.

-Bakemonogatari: Home to the best ahoge in all of anime.

Also it's refreshing to see an anime have a love story that isn't agonized over (and doesn't get in the way of the rest of the plot), and to see two characters start dating early on with no complications

-Valvrave: Vampiric highschoolers pilot mechas in space to save their school which is now a country. It's insane, but fun.

-Durarara: This show was too much fun.

-Cowboy Bebop (well, I picked it back up after procrastinating the last 5 episodes for a while)

I'm also starting Serial Experiments Lain and it seems really promising. The first few episodes were hard to get through but now I'm really curious as to what's going on.

So, what anime do you guys think you'll be following next season? I'm guessing Free! is a guaranteed yes, right?

The only difference between Hitler and the man next door who comes home and beats his kids every day is circumstance. The intent is the same-- to harm others.

I told her there was a secret method to doing it - and there is - but my once nimble and agile fingers were unable to perform because I was under the influence.

[/hide]

So, what anime do you guys think you'll be following next season? I'm guessing Free! is a guaranteed yes, right?

... Maybe

• Like 1

RIP Dawngate ;-;

• 3 weeks later...

^It seems like it's almost an unspoken rule that an anime must change OP's when a new season starts. And when you manage an almost perfect first OP your chances of matching it are really low.

So I just finished reading Narutaru. It's well written, but I'm not going to suggest it without a huge warning:

This manga gets really, really dark after a while. I'm just going to leave it at that because the content of some of the last volumes is probably against TiF rules to even mention. If you like grim-dark stuff and are overexposed enough to handle it you'll probably love Narutaru, but if you're not then please stay away from it. I mean I enjoy dark themes a lot and I was really put off by some of the stuff in this.

On a lighter note I decided to pick up Stella Jogakuin Koutou-ka C3 because I've been following too many dark shows lately and needed to recharge. It's actually not half bad, and for being a show about the airsoft gun fighting club in an all-girls school it has a surprisingly small amount of fanservice so that's nice.

[/hide]

So I just finished reading Narutaru. It's well written, but I'm not going to suggest it without a huge warning:

This manga gets really, really dark after a while. I'm just going to leave it at that because the content of some of the last volumes is probably against TiF rules to even mention. If you like grim-dark stuff and are overexposed enough to handle it you'll probably love Narutaru, but if you're not then please stay away from it. I mean I enjoy dark themes a lot and I was really put off by some of the stuff in this.

Test tubes

Also the anime version sucked so bad

RIP Dawngate ;-;

Test tubes

Also the anime version sucked so bad

Don't even bring up the [bleep]ing test tubes. And then Norio....

And I tried to watch the anime several months ago and had to drop it at the fifth episode.

Also I've finally stopped streaming anime and am now downloading it like some kind of professional.

[/hide]

• 3 weeks later...

So not been particularly impressed with Monogatari - far too much focus on Hanekawa when she's already had 2 arcs.

Watamote - love it, reminds me far too much of what I was like as a teenager.

The world god only knows 3 - Good so far, only recently watched the previous 2 seasons. I kind of wish that there had been a bit more of the back story filled in. There's a big gap between Season 2 and this one - watching the OVA helps a bit but there's still a lot of story that has to be explained.

Fate/Kalied Liner Prisma Illya - Only watching it because it's Fate/Stay even though it's not really. Pretty average magical girl show with tenuous links to Fate/Stay.

And that is my summary of the new season - oh and Kyojin continues to be awesome.

umilambdaberncgsig.jpg

I edit for the [Tip.It Times]. I rarely write in [My Blog]. I am an [Ex-Moderator].

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm currently reading the light novels for Toaru Majutsu no Index (A Certain Magical Index; the parent series of Railgun). I've read 29 out of the 31 light novels, and I'm planning on watching the anime once I'm all caught up with them. Is anyone here a fan of the series?

I've made my way through a good amount of the series (to about where Acqua is defeated), but I can't take too much of the light novels because (whether due to translation or not) the writing in them can be pretty mediocre.

On the other hand, there's nun punching and that makes up for a lot of it.

[/hide]

Which translated version are you reading? I'm reading the ones available on Baka-Tsuki and I'm enjoying them. I wouldn't say the writing is incredible, but it hasn't acted as a deterrent, at least.

And yes, nun punching does fix any translational problem.

The same ones. I guess it's mainly a matter of taste- the heavy use of onomatopoeia and caps lock tends to bug me.

[/hide]