My Journey into 3D (7 images) PAGE 3 CAR WIP!!

Nadril

Yeah, I don't really do it much now though (blame MMO's)

I would suggest maybe http://www.3dtotal.com they have a few decent tutorials to get you started. For lighting there are various different solutions, 3 point system, global illumination, object lights to name a few. Vray is a good renderer, I believe they do a pretty open free version too. Brazil by Splutterfish just recently unveiled a new version too, so maybe they have a demo of that on the site. I hear Maxwell Render is good, but takes a long time to render.

Try modeling things around you, that's probably the best way as you have actual live reference to look at.

Might as well say it too: That looks nothing like a rubix cube.

Cool, I'll check them out. I have a decent number of objects on my desk that I could probably model too :P.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A few links you might be intrested in:

http://www.aversis.be/extra_tutorials/v ... ghting.htm

http://www.cgarena.com/freestuff/tutori ... index.html

http://www.evermotion.org/tutorials/mic ... rior03.htm

edit:

I forgot I had this. Someone asked me how to make a super quick Rubik's cube awhile back, so I whipped this up to show an easy way to get away with it.

rubiksek2.jpg

2008sig2nb6.jpg

Quit RS 2005 | RSN: Johnalder

Back as of 5/7/2008!

Dragon Drops: x1 Med, x5 Legs, x4 Skirts, x25 Boots, x1 Visage | x7 Abyssal Whips

Thanks.

Probably not going to have anything posted for about a week because I need to get packed up tomorrow. Well, unless I squeeze in a new render today.

It is suprising how much more fun this is now that I'm starting to get the hang of it. Still going to stick with tutorials for a little more until I venture on my own though.

Thanks guys. I do think that the pawn head still isn't exactly right though... it's a bit squished.

The lighting is probably odd because I tried something different (Omni light overhead, two spot lights on left and right) to see if it helped. I should also note that the chessboard is a flat texture I did myself, actually turned out a lot better than what I thought. (seems like it has some depth almost).

The texture on the pawn is pretty basic -- mostly just me screwing around trying to make a slightly reflective piece.

Good job so far. Now make some cool abstracts that we can use.

Lol, I could churn those out so easy in C4D. I might try one later on in 3D Studio Max though.

The pawn looks great but the head looks slightly inflated (As you mentioned), also I think it's a bit too glossy for a chess piece, I suggest making a pale version, would work nicely for the opposite side.

I'll probably change the texture a bit if I do a full set, for now I think it's fine though. I remember having some fairly glossy chess pieces before =D

They look great so far. I'm personally using blender, and modding into Oblivion the Dark Dragon Sword from Ninja Gaiden. If only I could perfect those damn curves...

I was going to eat hot dogs for dinner tonight. I think I will settle for cereal.

OPEN WIDE HERE COMES THE HELICOPTER.

They look great so far. I'm personally using blender, and modding into Oblivion the Dark Dragon Sword from Ninja Gaiden. If only I could perfect those damn curves...

Does blender have a path tool of any kind? That seems to be the best way to handle complex curves and shapes from what I've seen. You pretty much control it like the pen tool in photoshop or illustrator (or gimp).

Good job so far. Now make some cool abstracts that we can use. :P

You mean the effortless boring crap everyone does and thinks looks good? Ok!

Nadril, I'd try push the boat a little. Chess Pieces, especially Pawns are extremely simple to make (Draw spline, lathe, done) so I'd like to see you do something more creative!

2008sig2nb6.jpg

Quit RS 2005 | RSN: Johnalder

Back as of 5/7/2008!

Dragon Drops: x1 Med, x5 Legs, x4 Skirts, x25 Boots, x1 Visage | x7 Abyssal Whips

Nadril, I'd try push the boat a little. Chess Pieces, especially Pawns are extremely simple to make (Draw spline, lathe, done) so I'd like to see you do something more creative!

The chess piece I did was actually a different technique other than drawing a spline. Certainly not advanced but was a decent tutorial.

I want to try a basic car now,I found a tutorial that looks within my grasp. I'll probably work on it this weekend.

edit: make that now :P opening up 3DSM.

Yes, if you want to call it that. :roll:

penguin.gif

pixel avvy by me deviantART

Yes, if you want to call it that. :roll:

They're useful as hell for signatures, whether they are boring and crappy or not.

C2b6gs7.png

Entangle, what's your problem?

2257AD.TUMBLR.COM

So I've been working on a car render. Currently I'm using Quad Meshes as my method for creating it, and I think it's working out well. Currently my biggest issue is to get the transition for the front windshield better and to finish off the rest of the body of the car, basics at least.

carprogress1vq8.png

This is just an SS without the blueprints or anything. I think my points are probably a bit screwy, nothing I can't fix though.

nr2big.jpg

This is the car I'm doing, or at least following the blueprints from. I also should note that while I learned the technique of what I'm doing from a tutorial (kind of, lol) I'm mostly just kind of trying to do this on my own without following a tutorial. Even if I do fail (which I may) this should really help me with modeling other objects. That is, if I can use this kind of technique for other objects as well. :P

UPDATE:

carprogress2hz2.png

I think I have the basic outershell about done now... Not sure how well I'll be able to do the details, it's got some screwy points and stuff atm even with a meshsmooth.