Punk ?

Sunwarriord

Just wondering, who's your favorite Punk Rock band?

i just started listening to it, just wanted some names of albums or bands i should listen to.

so far i really like Sex Pistols, the Ramones, Dead Kennedys and the Clash.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All the bands you listed arn't really punk rock, those are all classic punk bands. Punk rock is a relatively new genre

612d9da508.png

Mercifull.png

Mercifull <3 Suzi

"We don't want players to be able to buy their way to success in RuneScape. If we let players start doing this, it devalues RuneScape for others. We feel your status in real-life shouldn't affect your ability to be successful in RuneScape" Jagex 01/04/01 - 02/03/12

All the bands you listed arn't really punk rock, those are all classic punk bands. Punk rock is a relatively new genre

like what bands would be in the new "genre" of punk rock?

hopefully your not talking about that greenday etc. :?

Well yes greenday are considered punk rock, however id put them into the category of pop punk.

612d9da508.png

Mercifull.png

Mercifull <3 Suzi

"We don't want players to be able to buy their way to success in RuneScape. If we let players start doing this, it devalues RuneScape for others. We feel your status in real-life shouldn't affect your ability to be successful in RuneScape" Jagex 01/04/01 - 02/03/12

I've been listening punk/punk rock for years but I still don't really know whats the differense between punk and punk rock. :P

Well anyways I name a few bands for ya:

Rancid, Nofx,The Adicts, Misfits, Bad Religion.

Btw, I like them all so they must be good. :wink:

My favourite must be Rancid.

Oh and of that list The Adicts falls also to the category of classic punk.

Reality is hundreds of times more beautiful and more interesting than delusions. Fairy tales just tend to be easier to follow than the wonderful intricacies of life.

Greenday and Blink would be punk rock, which is crap. What both you and I adore are punk, plain and simple, like the Sex Pistols.

Anarchy, baby ;)

Simple plan is dumb and they are pop punk. I'd consider Sex Pistols straight up punk. It's all old school "punk" bands that are true punk. Like the Ramones and the Clash. Simple plan is just a waste of money and time. They can also be classified as crap.

simple plan is considered punk also, i like em. Linkin park is good. A kind of new band i'm really into now is Skillet.

Simple plan is not considered punk unless you're 7 year old who yells at their parents for making them eat their veggies. Linkin park is not either. That's for the whiney kids who's girlfriend broke up with them and their balls havent' dropped yet.

Greenday and Blink would be punk rock, which is crap. What both you and I adore are punk, plain and simple, like the Sex Pistols.

Anarchy, baby ;)

Youre mixing punk rock with pop punk.

Reality is hundreds of times more beautiful and more interesting than delusions. Fairy tales just tend to be easier to follow than the wonderful intricacies of life.

*sigh*

From what i gather, Punk Rock is the newer stuff (ala bowling for soup, sum 41, nofx, dropkick murphys, propagandhi, rancid etc etc) and has a faster sound than normal punk (which is bands such as sex pistols, the ramones, black flag, dead kennedys) which seemingly died about the mid 80's.

Punk was originally about teenage rebellion and anarchy, but degraded quickly into every teenagers listening to it (ala, NOFX - Seperation of Church and Skate) who refuse to do drugs and drink, and stick by good morales. Punk was about fighting and bringing down systems with no regard for the law, but now is just about music and teenagers in bed before 12.

Today's punk : C-32%20SEX%20PISTOLS%20smiling.jpg

Correct me if i'm wrong as i know very little in the way of the actual background of punk.

logo.jpg

*ahem*

Punk ( rock [let's just use that phrase for now because people are accustomed to it] ) was a lifestyle before it was music, first of all. Yes, what Futurama said is true, it represented rebellion, anarchy, and the word "punk" itself means rotten. The movement actually started with "garbage rock" or "garage rock" by bands in the 1960s. One of them was The Standells (which was a really good band actually, check out their song Riot on Sunset Strip or Dirty Water if you get a chance).

Not until the 1970s did punk (rock) actually have a full-fledged force behind it. During this time bands like The Clash, The Sex Pistols, The Talking Heads, The Ramones, etc. began to emerge to lead the movement. They are often known as the actual founding fathers of punk (rock). Usually, these bands contested political matters, had sexual innuendos, and pushed the limits of what their version of rock & roll was.

As punk (rock) progressed into the 1980s, "hardcore punk" or "heavy punk" began to form. This is the era where bands such as Black Flag were formed. Hardcore punk is basically more intense than normal punk (rock). As far as I know, "Ska punk" was formed during this time as well. Ska punk has influences from reggea and Jamaican music, making it one of the most unique forms of punk (rock) music. I classify bands like Rancid and Reel Big Fish under Ska (which is probably my most favorite genre).

During the 1990s skaters glorified punk so much that a genre was given to them known as "skate punk." It qualified almost all genres of punk, including hardcore, ska, original... everything. Skaters were usually associated with punk (rock) because of their image as rebels.

Finally, as we entered the new millenium/left the late-90s, came "pop punk" or "emo punk." It's given a bad image to all who listen to punk (rock) because it's created a hardcore image into something soft and less intense than it had been. Pop is usually associated with bands like Blink 182, Green Day, etc.

[EDIT] - After reading over this, I did not want to give the impression that "emo punk" is anything to be ashamed of. I actually enjoy some of the bands when I want to mellow out. Check out some bands such as Mae (Mae is for lovers :wink:), My Chemical Romance, and even Relient K.

That's about it for the history. If you wish to know my favorite bands, I'll name them off for you (in no particular order):

The Sex Pistols

The Cure

The Used

The Ramones

The Standells

Ranicd

MXPX (old stuff)

Pennywise

Black Flag

Anti Flag

The list goes on. Those are some of my favorite bands, but I have many more. I hate how I have only obtained an image that I listen to punk (rock) ONLY. I do not. I listen to all forms of music, but I had a phase where I loved punk (rock) more than anything, hence my name.

Hope this cleares up some things.

punk4ever.gif

By The_Jeppoz :wink:

Anarchy, baby ;)

Youre mixing punk rock with pop punk.

I was actually refering to punk crap.

simple plan is considered punk also, i like em. Linkin park is good. A kind of new band i'm really into now is Skillet.

LINKIN PARK IS SOOOO PUNK!!!11 :roll:

Ohz yeah!!! Lets blast it out of the speakers and watch everyone laugh at us! XD

smithie3.jpg

I just posted something! ^_^ to the terrorist...er... kirbybeam.