Is Ice Barrage Overused in PvP?

TheAncient

Mage vs Mage :

Chances are the other will be using barrage so it's down to hits.

Mage vs Range :

If you dont think your gonna win and can pull a freeze off you have a chance to get out of range and away.

Mage vs Melee :

Mage wins hands down. Freeze them and there useless against you.

That's the obvious ones. Bring in Range + Mage hybrid, Melee + mage hybrid, and theres more skill involved.

Melee can pull off some nice specs, easy K0s

Range can hit from distance, causing prayer changes, making a possible advantage.

Ice Barrage rules PvP.

X_kaylin_X.png

A very important fact you forget about freezing is the possibility to farcast. Mage can hit from very far away, much further then the r cbow (most used pvp ranged weapon) and MSB. The only weapons which stand a change are the karils bow on long range and the crystal bow. Most people don't bring those weapons when they are PVPing (either BH, clan wars, cw, or duel tournaments). And therefore farcasting has serious potential agaisnt 1-2 opponents (anything more and it becomes very hard to pull it off).

Of course farcasting can also be done with god spells and entangle, but the fact entangle doesn't do any damage is a major disadvantage. The godstaves themselves are quite decent, but you make the specs seem more useful then they are. Those 5% less defence isn't gonna make much difference. So is the 1 less prayer point, for people with 70 prayer, that's 1/24 of a prayer dose. Only good option is the zammy one. Mage defence is 60% based on mage level, so lowering that is quite effective, especially in Mage vs Mage. However, not many mage vs mage fights actually happen. And those stat lowering spells require too much time to cast for no damage. They'll only help in marathon fights.

However, I agree with you the other ancient spells are severely underused. Especially the smoke ones. In large CW games and clan wars fights, one smoke barrage spammer is very useful. And starting each duel tournament round with a smoke barrage (or 2 if pots are on) will also give you a big advantage. And as you already said, it's very accurate. I hit a lot more often with smoke bar then with ice bar.

And to those people saying, ice barrage has the highest hits, a 2 lower max hit isn't making big difference.

When everything's been said and done, more has been said than done.

All skills 80+

angel2w.gif

It's "overused" because it's the most effected spell for PVP. 20 secs freeze is the major bonus, when people get frozen, adrenaline kicks in and people freak out.

Latino has it. Melee'ers rarely have the ability to mount magic defense even without metal armour. 20 seconds freezing means the mage in question can sing a song and do a dance and still have time left over to kill an opponent.

Also, Zammy and Guthix's god spells dont stack... Sara's does though

Apparently they were updated this year, I still have to test this but Im powertraining atm

Mage vs Mage :

Mage vs Range :

If you dont think your gonna win and can pull a freeze off you have a chance to get out of range and away.

Mage vs Melee :

That's the obvious ones. Bring in Range + Mage hybrid, Melee + mage hybrid, and theres more skill involved.

Melee can pull off some nice specs, easy K0s

Range can hit from distance, causing prayer changes, making a possible advantage.

Ice Barrage rules PvP.

Lol that is way too simplified.

It's "overused" because it's the most effected spell for PVP. 20 secs freeze is the major bonus, when people get frozen, adrenaline kicks in and people freak out.

Latino has it. Melee'ers rarely have the ability to mount magic defense even without metal armour. 20 seconds freezing means the mage in question can sing a song and do a dance and still have time left over to kill an opponent.

Then just entangle. Or bring an ancient friend

Of course farcasting can also be done with god spells and entangle, but the fact entangle doesn't do any damage is a major disadvantage.

It's just one tempo of damage. This isn't a "major disadvantage". More important about entangle is the fact that it's probably less accurate

Those 5% less defence isn't gonna make much difference.

IF the spec stacks then it is huge. Think about it, within 5 turns you've basically nullified piety's defense bonus

So is the 1 less prayer point, for people with 70 prayer, that's 1/24 of a prayer dose.

Either way it increases the chance that you drain his prayer...

sigcopyaf.png

Ever wanted to find street prices of RS items? Check out the SPOLI Index

Nex Drops: Pernix Cowl, Pernix Chaps, Torva Helm, Torva Platebody, Zaryte Bow, Pernix Chaps, Virtus Robe Legs, Virtus Robe Top, Torva Platelegs, Zaryte Bow, Pernix Chaps, Virtus Robe Legs, Zaryte Bow, Virtus Mask, Torva Legs, Virtus Robe Legs, Virtus Robe Top, Virtus Robe Top, Zaryte Bow, Virtus Robe Legs, Virtus Robe Top, Virtus Robe Top, Torva Platelegs, Zaryte Bow, Pernix Body, Torva Platelegs, Torva Platelegs, Virtus Robe Top

I can understand your argument for the use of shadow spells and such, I think there great and are way too overused. Modern mage spells I still think have no use now. The time it takes to entangle or curse (The high level curses) takes time away from when you could be inflicting a lot of damage on your opponent. God spells may hit 30, but you still need to freeze your opponent. Ancients are like a combination of some modern spells which makes them so much more superior. When your in bh and trying to beat your opponent, its all about how quickly you do something. If your too slow then your dead.

A very important fact you forget about freezing is the possibility to farcast. Mage can hit from very far away, much further then the r cbow (most used pvp ranged weapon) and MSB. The only weapons which stand a change are the karils bow on long range and the crystal bow. Most people don't bring those weapons when they are PVPing (either BH, clan wars, cw, or duel tournaments). And therefore farcasting has serious potential agaisnt 1-2 opponents (anything more and it becomes very hard to pull it off).

Actually Rune crossbow on long range has exactly the same range as ancient spells. I used it a lot in duel tournaments. Still, it's an extra click for the ranger from rapid to long-range and an extra hit the mage gets i guess.

red-mask-sig.gif?t=1238621802

MSSW4Banner.gif

you qoute me and say way to simplified? wow, isnt that the idea of most things, simplify it and you can understand it easier.

Lol.

Mage vs Mage :

Provided you're using no obstacles,

Blood >= Barrage

Shadow >= Barrage

Provided Zamorak special stacks,

Zamorak >> barrage

It is not "down to hits."

Mage vs Range :

Yes, barrage is the best but not only for that reason. You want to get out of THEIR range and farcast. Just cause you're losing a bit doesn't mean you have to run, just switch to another combat style.

Then again whoever does pure mage vs range has issues

Mage vs Melee :

Entangle them and theyre useless against you

Get someone else to barrage and use Godspells

Use shadow spells.

And no person worth fighting will ever ever just stand there

All of that I previously said in this post. If I'm simplifying it's only because I hate repeating myself.

Actually Rune crossbow on long range has exactly the same range as ancient spells. I used it a lot in duel tournaments. Still, it's an extra click for the ranger from rapid to long-range and an extra hit the mage gets i guess.

It takes 2 extra clicks + reaction time to switch to longrange

If they switch to longrange you get in normal rune c'bow range and start ranging them. They're still stuck on longrange so you have an advantage

sigcopyaf.png

Nex Drops: Pernix Cowl, Pernix Chaps, Torva Helm, Torva Platebody, Zaryte Bow, Pernix Chaps, Virtus Robe Legs, Virtus Robe Top, Torva Platelegs, Zaryte Bow, Pernix Chaps, Virtus Robe Legs, Zaryte Bow, Virtus Mask, Torva Legs, Virtus Robe Legs, Virtus Robe Top, Virtus Robe Top, Zaryte Bow, Virtus Robe Legs, Virtus Robe Top, Virtus Robe Top, Torva Platelegs, Zaryte Bow, Pernix Body, Torva Platelegs, Torva Platelegs, Virtus Robe Top

Just tested, Zamorak flames doesn't stack

Anyone wanna do Guthix?

sigcopyaf.png

just to tell you you cant have 2 mages on at once, as soon as 1 of you splash the other is kicked off. In the event you werent suggesting that ancients are not only easier but more practical due to the amount of space the runes take up in ancient spells v.s. god spells. You really dont want to be caught in the middle with say 4 brews 3 sharks due to limited inventory space.

Evil_Ruler7.png

Modern mage died with teleblock.

I agree. When the new pvp comes out i'll be mage+ranging with modern if it comes out with teleblock if it doesnt I'll have to get my mage to 94 -.-

kingvictor13.png

GWD Drops- Sara Swords-3 Sara Hilt-2 Zammy Hilt-1 Zammy Spears-3 Arma Helms- 2 Arma Skirt-2 Arma body-2

I gud Pk

I can understand your argument for the use of shadow spells and such, I think there great and are way too overused. Modern mage spells I still think have no use now. The time it takes to entangle or curse (The high level curses) takes time away from when you could be inflicting a lot of damage on your opponent. God spells may hit 30, but you still need to freeze your opponent. Ancients are like a combination of some modern spells which makes them so much more superior. When your in bh and trying to beat your opponent, its all about how quickly you do something. If your too slow then your dead.

keep in mind god spells only hit 30 if u charge. normal is 20

modmarkl.jpg
~ 3,072nd to 99 Mining on August 30th, 2009 ~
~ 112,084th to 99 Magic on April 16th, 2011 ~

~ 131,681st to 99 Crafting on March 29, 2019 ~

~ 178,385th to 99 Prayer on April 2, 2019 ~

~ 234,921st to 99 Defence on May 9, 2019 ~

~ 173,480th to 99 Herblore on June 21, 2019 ~

~ 155,160th to 99 Smithing on July 16, 2019 ~

Tbh the best setup would be a tribrid, barrage from a distance, range until bind is gone, then g maul/dds/ags spec when they get close. They're all useful by themselves, even mage, but honestly they're best put together :P

wl7w9j.png

Tbh the best setup would be a tribrid, barrage from a distance, range until bind is gone, then g maul/dds/ags spec when they get close. They're all useful by themselves, even mage, but honestly they're best put together :P

My str phails :( I'll be using d bow spec when they are half hp KO :twisted:

OT:Barrage has it's usefullness of dealing out high damage plus high hits but if (like i said before) you will be seeing people entangling plus teleblocking(if it comes back) alot more often then seeing people using barrage

kingvictor13.png

GWD Drops- Sara Swords-3 Sara Hilt-2 Zammy Hilt-1 Zammy Spears-3 Arma Helms- 2 Arma Skirt-2 Arma body-2

I gud Pk