Market Instability and Gameplay

No_99_Melee

All they really need to do is remove price controls and the 5% rule (the GE is anonymous and random, anyways, so RWT is covered)

Clearly that is not correct. Gold buyer puts up a bronze dagger for sale at 100m. Gold seller puts an offer in for a bronze dagger at 100m. Yes it is anonymous to a certain extent, but without the price controls that are in place RWT would be stupidly easy. Don;t get me wrong, I think there are several flaws with the GE, but removing price restrictions totally is not an option.

What they should do imo is remove price floors and ceilings and keep the 5% band. That will allow items to drop and rise to the price that actually reflects their worth. The 5% band will make speculation harder - Jag has staff monitoring GE and setting prices anyway so it wouldnt affect their work much - all they'd have to watch out if common items are raising suspiciously high like buckets at 100-200 gp each since you can buy them in any store for 2 gp.

Removing GE is a step backwards into medieval style trading with merchants (theives essentially) rather than modern-ish investors (still thieves but a little more regulated). Never mind the RTW and RS Wars Episode II: Return of the Bots.

And the whole affair with people buying GS to sell them is very similar to what England's housing market looked like with the whole buy-to-sell affair. When the credit crunch thing hit suddenly all those people started crying because no one wanted their overprices houses. What they forgot is that a 4 bedroom house is still a 4 bedroom house no matter if it costs 80k or 150k. Similarily a GS has still the same stats no matter how much money it is... Buy to keep if you cant afford dont buy.

Dragon drops:

Medium helmet: 1 Shield left half : 1

Well, IMO, the price drops are natural. Seeing as first slayer came out, first ppl got whips. They dropped too, about 50% of their original price in a few months..

If you're afraid of buying a GS mainly for the price drops, don't buy it.

...on my way to a Def 1 Hybrid.. for the 2nd time - Wow !

As of right now, there are 5 (Count them, 5) threads on the front page of General that have to do with the runescape economy.

About 0 of them are original and actually took more than 5 seconds of thought before spewing out on the keyboard in a channel 4 news documentary style "Creamed corn, could this be killing your children? More at 6".

banner6jf.jpg

jomali.png

Sorry, but that's wrong. GE isn't based on the law of supply and demand. It's based on the prices the items are sold for and the amount of them. That's why phats don't drop (only a few buyers) and 3rd age doesn't go up (only a few sellers).

People shouldn't blame the current market but sould profit of it. Buy your lovely amour at low prices and sell your drops high. Be patient!

Idiot. "Profit of it"? The people that profit from it are always a small minority, there are way more people that lose money from it. Buy armour low and sell high? That means some other people have to sell low and buy high. Patience has nothing to do with it, there will always be more people losing cash to this then people making cash from it.

Thanks for flame.

Patience is a big part of successfull merchanting. Merchanting only works because there are enough people who aren't patient. They want to sell there things now and want everything now, so they sell low and buy high. Merchanters profit of it and you could do that, too. Tbh if enough people would do what I suggested this market wouldn't be so much instable...

And please think about it before you flame me again, thanks.

[404] Signature not found.

Sorry, but that's wrong. GE isn't based on the law of supply and demand. It's based on the prices the items are sold for and the amount of them. That's why phats don't drop (only a few buyers) and 3rd age doesn't go up (only a few sellers).

People shouldn't blame the current market but sould profit of it. Buy your lovely amour at low prices and sell your drops high. Be patient!

Idiot. "Profit of it"? The people that profit from it are always a small minority, there are way more people that lose money from it. Buy armour low and sell high? That means some other people have to sell low and buy high. Patience has nothing to do with it, there will always be more people losing cash to this then people making cash from it.

You only lose money if you fail to care about the trends in your item. Otherwise you can save money by simply waiting to buy your item.

2496 Completionist

All they really need to do is remove price controls and the 5% rule (the GE is anonymous and random, anyways, so RWT is covered)

Clearly that is not correct. Gold buyer puts up a bronze dagger for sale at 100m. Gold seller puts an offer in for a bronze dagger at 100m. Yes it is anonymous to a certain extent, but without the price controls that are in place RWT would be stupidly easy. Don;t get me wrong, I think there are several flaws with the GE, but removing price restrictions totally is not an option.

And those sorts of transactions would probably be pretty easy for Jagex to track and ban people for it, but if it does become a [major] problem, then just make the 5% rule into a 100% rule (you can only sell for up to twice market price) or, if that seems like too much, the 50% rule without a min price.

> SELECT * FROM users WHERE clue > 0;

0 rows returned

There's no place like 127.0.0.1

There are only 10 types of people

in this world: those who understand

binary and those who don't.

This statement is false.

$DO || ! $DO ; try

try: command not found

This isnt the stock exchange people, stop looking at items as an investment and more as tools. You need them to get the job done, they help you make more cash. Once you buy them thats money thats just gone. The only people that wory about price changes in items are merchants. Are you a merchant or are you a player, pick one and stop crying.

Fools_Taco.png

This isnt the stock exchange people, stop looking at items as an investment and more as tools. You need them to get the job done, they help you make more cash. Once you buy them thats money thats just gone. The only people that wory about price changes in items are merchants. Are you a merchant or are you a player, pick one and stop crying.[/quote]

WTF? < -- typing that as any other words that I can think to call you and your idiotic view on this would be blocked.

Sure thats true with say potions/food etc, other disposables. But with a GS or other high leveled equipment? DFS/bandos/armadyl/rangers/fury etc. Depending on your level of wealth these are a big investment. Sure a 5m drop when you have 100m or more isnt much, but for a big portion of the 90 - 120 players that have a bank of 30 - 50m thats huge.

So naturally you would worry about a drop like that because say you bought it one day, went to sleep and came back and it was down 2m, you would think damn thats 2m of *my* money I could have saved by 1 day if I'd have just waited. Doesnt matter to much with lower valued items, whip etc, but with godswords etc this is huge.

You can be both a player and worry about prices, RS isnt black and white, MERCHANT vs. PLAYER's. Anyone who views item drops and people worrying about them as being merchants when they are just average players who have a little bit of money, not much mind, is a little bit foolish...

Solo GWD'er

Drops: Bandos Hilt x 1/ boots x 1 / Steam staff x 1 / Shards x 9

99 Str/ 99 Att/ 99 HP (More to come...)

Whip hits 1.5 times faster than GS(as I'm told).

At my str (88) I can max 38 with GS, and a 28 with whip.

This means in the time I hit 1 38 with my GS I can hit 42 with my whip (theoretically).

Whip can be better than GS (in cerain situations).

It's not just about the max, but about how often you hit it. Otherwise Gs wouldn't be their cost.

tifsiggy.jpg

Thanks to Quarra for the awesome sig!

Xbox360 Gamertag = Tintin113