~ Troacctid's Woodcutting Guide ~

Troacctid

Nice guide, it's in-depth and very detailed! But I have a question.

I'm F2P, and I want to know which tree makes more money for me right now, oaks, or yews?

-Oaks: 50gp each, fast cutting speed

-Yews: 450gp each, slow cutting speed

Not sure what to cut... :-?

douvdFX.jpg

Blog

Trimmed | Master Quester | Final Boss

Boss pets: Bombi | Shrimpy | Ellie | Tz-Rek Jad | Karil the Bobbled | Mega Ducklings

120s: Dungeoneering | Invention

• Replies 280
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm F2P, and I want to know which tree makes more money for me right now, oaks, or yews?

Yews should be faster, but not by a huge margin.

Then I'll cut oaks, because the difference isn't huge, I'm too impatient and oaks are very close to a bank. (Draynor Bank)

douvdFX.jpg

Blog

Boss pets: Bombi | Shrimpy | Ellie | Tz-Rek Jad | Karil the Bobbled | Mega Ducklings

Then I'll cut oaks, because the difference isn't huge, I'm too impatient and oaks are very close to a bank. (Draynor Bank)

I believe the Varrock west bank is faster.

[hide=Quotes]

[/hide]

I believe the Varrock west bank is faster.

Actually Draynor Bank is faster since they are directly east of a bank.

EDIT: Nevermind, I didn't know the other tree beside the oak was a normal tree. Sorry.

douvdFX.jpg

Blog

• 1 month later...

hi i am currently trying for 99 wcing with 38k yews and 19k magics or just magics the whole way depending on what i decide. i have cut over 1k magics and over 3k yews and i find them quite plesant, especially with a terror bird. i was sad to see them not included in your guide but i understand why. they are slow and boring to most people and not really a good idea for 99 wcing and are a slow money maker.i suggest coming at them with an open mind and they dont seem so slow.

• 6 months later...

My goal: 99 woodcutting and 99 fletching. I was originally going to cut magics to fletch.

But appearntly teaks and eucs are faster exp for my 99 woodcutting goal but dont allow me to reach my fletching goal. Therefore I want to know if on a per hour basis the number of teaks i can cut will pay for the same amount of magic trees that I could cut within that hour?

mehhfortipetou8.jpg

My goal: 99 woodcutting and 99 fletching. I was originally going to cut magics to fletch.

But appearntly teaks and eucs are faster exp for my 99 woodcutting goal but dont allow me to reach my fletching goal. Therefore I want to know if on a per hour basis the number of teaks i can cut will pay for the same amount of magic trees that I could cut within that hour?

Considering that you can't chop very many magic logs in an hour, I think so, yes.

• 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

All in all, this is a very good and useful guide, however there are couple flaws in my opinion.

I'm personally aiming for 99 woodcutting currently (81 only yet), but I've already had quite a bit of time to check and measure the possible options. The only real options for person seriously wanting to get 99 woodcutting are sawmill (arguably the fastest method), teaks (not so much behind, and the firemaking experience adds on) and mahogany. I wouldn't certainly do eucalyptus ever, as according to my calculations mahoganies are a tiny bit better xp in long run. I wouldn't certainly bank teaks either, it just is not worth it.

Also another often used candidate - ivy - is certainly not worth it either. It doesn't match teaks or sawmill on the xp rates, and even at the afkable level it doesn't bring in even close to what mahogany does.

If your goal is only to achieve 99 woodcutting, your place is sawmill. At my 81 woodcutting, I can get upto 80k xp/h with relaxed pace. According to few sources (mostly 99 woodcutters) the xp rate can go upto 105-110k xp/h at level 99 in sawmill. This is about ~ 20k more than teaks are even at the best. Not to mention that fastest ways of doing teaks (inferno adze and dropping/alching) requires quite a bit of attention. Sawmill has quite a few parts (gathering the logs and loading the belt hopper especially) where you don't need to pay much of attention. Only thing where teaks are better option than sawmill, is if you're in need of firemaking/magic xp and don't mind clicking alot more often. Also teaks have the ability to drop occasional bird nests which do add up. Downside of them both is that you don't make money from them. Nothing from sawmill and close to nothing from teaks. If you don't need money, or have high enough levels to go for the best moneymakers in the game (boss hunting/frost dragons mostly), these are the choices you have to choose from.

However, not everyone of us either have alot of money, or have high enough levels for constant and fast money sources. Some of us don't even like boss hunting or endless camping against monsters. Then your choice is certainly mahoganies.

I don't really know why mahoganies are so underrated. First of all, at my level (81 wc) they yield decent 50k+ xp/h. About 15-20k less than ivy and 25k less than teak. Obviously these rates are turning to unfavour mahoganies a bit more as the levels go higher. However, the fact where mahoganies clearly outlast all of the other options is it's profitability. Each mahogany log costs about 470 gp each, and they're faster to cut than either yews or eucalyptus. That being said, 99 woodcutting would already earn you nice profit of (~ 100,000x470) 47m gp's. But we don't stop at that. The fact why mahoganies are extremely profitable, is because they have 2-3% chance to give you occasional "special mahogany logs". If you have two of these logs in your inventory, you can swap full inventory of mahogany logs into mahogany planks for no fee. Let's consider person would need to cut 100k mahogany logs for 99 woodcutting. For those 100k logs he could get from about 2,5k upto 3,5k special logs. One special log holds a potential value of 13x1500 (13 mahogany logs transferred into 13 mahogany planks). This would mean you could swap from 32k upto 45k mahogany logs into planks for free. With base value of 2k per plank, these planks would already be worth from 64,000,000 gp up to 90,000,000 gp. You would still have like 60k logs to top that. So the profit you could expect from chopping mahoganies is atleast (32k x 2k + 68k x 0,5k) ~ 98,000,000 gp. Of course you would have to spend few million gp's to trading sticks, but we didn't even calculate the price of nests there. Nests would most likely cover the cost of trading sticks, if not even more. So profit from mahoganies is most likely to be over 100m gp. Not too bad for xp rate from 50 upto 60k xp/h.

Yeah, there is one con on the calculation I gave you. It didn't measure the fact that you still have to spend fair bit of time when using your special logs to get your free change of logs to planks. However, with the Enlightened Journey balloon travel from castle wars to sawmill (and then teleporting back to castle wars with ring of dueling) you can do swap upto 1500 plank in hour. That already is over 3m gp/h. If you had a pack yak you could double that almost to 6m gp/h. I don't think there is faster way of making money in this game? ;)

If you're profit oriented person, and want to make a tiny buck even from, in it's afkability, quite easy skill like woodcutting, you certainly shouldn't forget about mahoganies. Remember, there is even chance that a new bonus xp weekend happens to show up when you have 100m worth of mahogany logs and planks in your bank. You could either get crazy amounts of construction xp or sell them all for like 40% price raise.

EDIT: There also is a guide about plankmaking while chopping mahogany logs. Plankmaking doesn't interrupt chopping, so you can basically turn all your mahogany logs into planks simultaneously. With this you could get 90 xp for every log you cut. For 100k logs, that would mean 9m magic xp. If you're in need of some extra magic xp, this would be one way to do it while still making nice buck out of it.

u5zhkTY.gif

• 11 months later...

Remember how I said "If you plagiarize my work, don't think I won't find out."?

BUSTED

I don't check for these often, but it always ticks me off when I find them. Look, he even left in the FAQ entry that says "See copyright notice" despite deleting the copyright notice.

Remember how I said "If you plagiarize my work, don't think I won't find out."?

BUSTED

I don't check for these often, but it always ticks me off when I find them. Look, he even left in the FAQ entry that says "See copyright notice" despite deleting the copyright notice.

Pretty blatant rip off. They have since edited theirs to remove that from the end, and changed the answer to the "how often will this guide be updated" question.

I do like how you posted and called him out on it. :grin:

f2punitedfcbanner_zpsf83da077.png

THE place for all free players to connect, hang out and talk about how awesome it is to be F2P.

So, Kaida is the real version of every fictional science-badass? That explains a lot, actually...

• 1 month later...

I'm wondering why the authors are not updating these guides, even though they are active themselves. This is an another awesome guide, but unfortunately its once again missing the latest updates. Urns and teaks + alching are the one big thing that this guide needs.

I'm wondering why the authors are not updating these guides, even though they are active themselves. This is an another awesome guide, but unfortunately its once again missing the latest updates. Urns and teaks + alching are the one big thing that this guide needs.

Cuz I don't really want to. :shades:

Cuz I don't really want to. :shades:

Fair enough ;)