~ Troacctid's Woodcutting Guide ~

Troacctid

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 280
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

nao add E-fail tree

My thoughts on evil trees is that they should be faster experience than chopping normally if you happen upon one, but that'll happen infrequently enough that you don't need to change your woodcutting habits to fit them unless you want to. However, if you did want to, the best way to spend your temporary unlimited inventory space would be on willows.

I don't plan on adding a section on evil trees until I know more about them, because I don't want to give out false information when I can help it. And since I'd rather not personally investigate the sort of rewards you get from them, it might be a while before I can fit them into the guide.

I remember seeing this title a while and I thought to myself "ok, I'm not gonna read a guide for something this simple and which will probably state the obvious", so I didn't. But today, I saw this in AOW and thought "that's strange, maybe I should give it a try". And wow, what a pleasant surprise was that. Amazing guide! =D>

When everything's been said and done, more has been said than done.

All skills 80+

angel2w.gif

As for Evil Trees...

I usually join a CC specifically for those and hop when someone calls a tree I want to cut and burn, once I get my reward, tele to lumby and use my leprechaun banking bonus at the 4 yews west of lumbridge castle. It is probably one of the most efficient way to use that bonus. If you are lucky, you can get 60 minutes of no banking per day which will improve your xp rates by about 10% for that time period.

langerkiller.png

Follow the progress of top players and my weekly updates here: 200M in all Skills

Latest Milestones Chart update : page 602

Latest top 15 update : page 602

6 slowest skills chart : page 563

• 3 weeks later...

One of the Yew cuttings areas no one ever thinks about is just south of Eagles peak. There are 11 or 12 yews there and after Swan Song you can take the boat to the fishing colony and bank in less than a minute. Never in my many trips have I ever seen anyone else cutting there.

21.jpg

You might want to add some information about evil trees and training with their magic. Cutting willows during the auto banking time(sadly teaks are not an option, and even if eucs are, thatd be a waste of the magic) is extremely fast experience if you find two or more secluded willows that are far enough away from any bank to go unnoticed.

Barrows: 9~2 V Brass,V Flail,2 Dh Plate,V Helm,V Skirt,T Legs,Malevolent Shield DKing: 48~6 W Ring,13 A Ring,8 M Staff,9 S Ring,7 B Ring,3 Seercull
Dragon Drops: 500+~50+ Med,26 Axe,3 Chain,10+ Legs,10+ Spear,2 D2h,10+ L Half,49 Boots,2 DDs,10+ Lump,9 Claws,50+ Dagger,14 Visage,50+ Mace,4 Scimitar,7 Hasta,Baxe,50+ Long,30+ Royal,2 Kite,4 Ward,2 Plate,Staff,Hammer,Limbs, Mattock,Halberd
GWD: 156~4 S Staff,50+ Shard,9 B Tass,13 B Plate,5 B Boots,6 A Plate,11 S Sword,8 A Hilt,4 A Skirt,9 A Helm,S Hilt,3 B Hilt,B Glove,2 A Buckler,Z Ward,Z Garb,2 Z Boots,B Shield,B Helm

Corp: 3~Elysian,2 Sp Sh Nex: 6~Torva Legs,Cere,P cowl,Z bow,2 T boots + GWD2: 9~2 Glaive,Wand,2 Crest,Blade,2 Essence,Core Araxyte: 5~Web,3 Pheromone,Fang + Raids: 4~3 Codex,P Boots  + Trails: 2~Bob Shirt,Fortunate

Etc: 64~3 Sceptre,B Mask,16 Whip,2 Focus Sight,5 D Bow,7 SOL,Ragefire,2 Steadfast,Arma Staff,6 Rider Armor,5 Vine,2 Razorback,2 A Wand,Abby Orb,3 Blood Shard,6 Hydrix,Gland,Asc Xbow
[spoiler=Capes]Quest Cape Aquired 12-7-07 ~ Level 93 + + + Completionist Cape Aquired 5-22-15 ~ Level 138
Hitpoints Cape Aquired 9-21-09 ~ Level 131 + Magic Cape Aquired 9-24-09 Attack Cape Aquired 3-5-10 ~ Level 135 Summoning Cape Aquired 3-12-10

Strength Cape Aquired 6-1-11 ~ Level 137 Fire Cape Aquired 6-23-11 Defence Cape Aquired 7-5-11 + Ranged Cape Aquired 8-1-11 Kiln Cape Aquired 2-26-12 ~ Level 138
Dungeoneering Cape Aquired 4-22-12 + Slayer Cape Aquired 6-25-14 ~ Level 200 + Herblore Cape Acquired 12-9-14 ~ Level 138 Prayer Cape Acquired 12-20-14
Agility Cape Acquired 1-4-15 + Hunter Cape Acquired 1-30-15 Construction Cape Acquired 1-31-15 Crafting Cape Acquired 2-22-15 Thieving Cape Acquired 3-18-15
Runecrafting Cape Acquired 4-14-15 Mining Cape Acquired 4-19-15 Fishing Cape Acquired 4-25-15 Firemaking Cape Acquired 4-26-15 Woodcutting Cape Acquired 4-26-15
Cooking Cape Acquired 4-26-15Smithing Cape Acquired 4-28-15 Farming Cape Acquired 4-29-15 Divination Cape Acquired 5-3-15 Dungeoneering Mastery 5-4-15
Fletching Cape Acquired 5-4-15 Max Cape Acquired 5-4-15 + Invention Cape Acquired 11-9-16 Invention Mastery 5-16-19 + Archaeology Cape Acquired 10-30-20

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

fancy guide :thumbsup:

i personally love my wc cape/inferno adze - although i did it doing yews for 5 months :wall: and i got my adze after i got 99 wc :wall: :wall:

oh well good luck everyone with your goals :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

~~~legoman187~~~

nee0cg.png

Clicky siggy for blog

Thanks Pendonub for fancy new sig

Thieving guide[WIP]

Loyal player since May 2005 and member since November 2005 and Tifer for many years

~~~legoman187~~~

This guide states you can use a familiar while chopping teaks and using the parcel method. Does that mean you can auto bank your inventory and your BoB at the same time?

I'm looking to do some chopping at teaks with pack yak and the inferno adze.

This guide states you can use a familiar while chopping teaks and using the parcel method. Does that mean you can auto bank your inventory and your BoB at the same time?

I'm looking to do some chopping at teaks with pack yak and the inferno adze.

I haven't parceled since the bank interface updates, so I don't know if you can use the Dump BoB option from there. But you can always just withdraw the logs from the BoB, and it'll be much faster than otherwise. I imagine with a pack yak it should be a very efficient method.

Mentioned earlier but you didn't put it in the guide...oaks are much better experience until high levels.

At level 30 woodcutting you get an oak log at almost every possible opportunity (every 4 chops you have the chance to get a log, level determines how high the probability is). So you'd have to be getting a willow log every 1.8 chops to compete with oak logs in exp, because oak logs are just as easy to bank. You don't get a log for sure about 50% of the time until higher levels, and until then, oaks are superior exp AND profit. Willow logs don't make money, and oak logs actually sell on the GE.

And you missed the best moneymaking familiar: the macaw. Using the macaw's scroll gives you a random herb. Activating the scroll doesn't even interrupt your woodcutting. The scrolls are worth less than even guams, which means it is guaranteed profit. The special takes time to recharge so you still spend the vast majority of your time woodcutting. Like other foragers, it is only good if you are banking, but if you are, it far outstrips the beaver, fruit bat, and granite lobster.

2496 Completionist

Wonderful guide :thumbsup: I've always thought that willows were the fastest exp, but with the info you provide about teak's, i definitely

will give this a shot. Just a question: do you recomend banking the teaks(aka cutting them in tai bwo wannai village) for some extra cash or do you do you think that ape atoll+burning is the best?

anyways, wonderful guide, 10/10:^_^: bravo

Don_XiliFied.png

31640 to achieve 99 Firemaking on 30/10-09

XiliFied.png

Thanks Zokot for the amazing sig! Visit my Rc-blog and leave a post:)

Mentioned earlier but you didn't put it in the guide...oaks are much better experience until high levels.

At level 30 woodcutting you get an oak log at almost every possible opportunity (every 4 chops you have the chance to get a log, level determines how high the probability is). So you'd have to be getting a willow log every 1.8 chops to compete with oak logs in exp, because oak logs are just as easy to bank. You don't get a log for sure about 50% of the time until higher levels, and until then, oaks are superior exp AND profit. Willow logs don't make money, and oak logs actually sell on the GE.

And you missed the best moneymaking familiar: the macaw. Using the macaw's scroll gives you a random herb. Activating the scroll doesn't even interrupt your woodcutting. The scrolls are worth less than even guams, which means it is guaranteed profit. The special takes time to recharge so you still spend the vast majority of your time woodcutting. Like other foragers, it is only good if you are banking, but if you are, it far outstrips the beaver, fruit bat, and granite lobster.

Oaks quickly become irrelevant once teaks enter the picture anyway. Regardless of whether they're good at low levels, it's evident that they're not good at high levels. I just assume that it scales down, since pretty much every other tree does. If you want to offer data comparing oak-chopping at 99 to oak-chopping at wherever you think the speed tops out, I would applaud you for your devotion to research...I just don't know if it's worth the time to test something that would only be useful for a few thousand experience points anyway. You're not the first person to talk about oaks as fast experience, but it's something I haven't been able to duplicate, and I find it hard to believe that they can be chopped at 1.8x the speed of willows. *shrug*

As for macaws, I confess I've never seriously considered them for foraging. I only tried it once and found that the scroll is often unsuccessful, and often produces a low-level herb that isn't very valuable. It also cuts into your inventory space, since the macaw doesn't hold the herbs for you--you have to pick them up yourself. (And the scrolls take a slot too.) The cost of the scrolls cuts into the profit as well, not to mention the hassle of clicking to use the ability every minute, which brings back painful recollections of renewing familiars before the summoning update. All things considered, I would expect the magpie to beat out the macaw...but that is an untested hypothesis.

I guess there's still plenty of woodcutting-related stuff out there I could research to improve my guide, but I've been playing Runescape less often lately, and my inclination is to rest on my laurels and get other people to research stuff they want to learn about. :-w

Wonderful guide :thumbsup: I've always thought that willows were the fastest exp, but with the info you provide about teak's, i definitely

will give this a shot. Just a question: do you recomend banking the teaks(aka cutting them in tai bwo wannai village) for some extra cash or do you do you think that ape atoll+burning is the best?

anyways, wonderful guide, 10/10:^_^: bravo

I'd recommend burning. Parcelling the teaks is like a wishy-washy middle ground between powercutting teaks and cutting eucs, and I'm not a big fan of middle ground. It's exp or profit, folks--pick a side! :evil:

In all seriousness, though, I really do worry that the numbers I have for parcelling are inaccurate. It's the kind of method that scales a lot based on which familiar you use and stuff. For example, if you had the full get-up, with a pack yak and inferno adze, banking teaks would probably be the best method, easily. But I have no idea how much better it would be than other methods. I just know that it sure blows willows out of the water.

But I wouldn't think too much about it if I were you. The thing about woodcutting is that it isn't efficient. Ever. The skill itself has no real application in the game, so just by training it you're giving up time and money. The only reason you'd train it to a high level is that, plain and simple, you just want to.

...There was somewhere I was going with that, but I guess what I'm trying to say is that you have to decide for yourself which method you want to use to train. (That's code for "I'm nervous that my data is insufficient, so I'm avoiding giving a straight answer. You should parcel teaks, time your exp/hr and gp/hr, and tell me your results.") Does that answer your question? ;) ;)

Oaks quickly become irrelevant once teaks enter the picture anyway. Regardless of whether they're good at low levels, it's evident that they're not good at high levels. I just assume that it scales down, since pretty much every other tree does. If you want to offer data comparing oak-chopping at 99 to oak-chopping at wherever you think the speed tops out, I would applaud you for your devotion to research...I just don't know if it's worth the time to test something that would only be useful for a few thousand experience points anyway. You're not the first person to talk about oaks as fast experience, but it's something I haven't been able to duplicate, and I find it hard to believe that they can be chopped at 1.8x the speed of willows. *shrug*

As for macaws, I confess I've never seriously considered them for foraging. I only tried it once and found that the scroll is often unsuccessful, and often produces a low-level herb that isn't very valuable. It also cuts into your inventory space, since the macaw doesn't hold the herbs for you--you have to pick them up yourself. (And the scrolls take a slot too.) The cost of the scrolls cuts into the profit as well, not to mention the hassle of clicking to use the ability every minute, which brings back painful recollections of renewing familiars before the summoning update. All things considered, I would expect the magpie to beat out the macaw...but that is an untested hypothesis.

Now don't get me wrong, I am only level 73 woodcutting, but there are some seriously large problems with comparing teaks to oaks and willows at level 35 (you said "once teaks enter the picture"). Again, taking the opportunities per logs gained of oaks to be nearly 1:1, you'd need to average a teak log every 2.3 tries. Judging from how difficult willows are to cut in the 30s and 40s (I recently trained a character from 36 to 65 woodcutting, and switched over to oaks until 60), teaks would probably not outstrip either willows or oaks until higher levels. Of course, it's very hard to tell when specifically, but you should let people make an educated guess themselves on which log to chop, and teak should wait until higher levels. And by the way, 1.8 is the minimum number of oak logs you must get for every 1 willow log for equal experience between the two, and even at 1.8, oaks outstrip willows due to being much more valuable. Also, your guide partly caters to a f2p audience, so oaks vs. willows is very relevant.

As to macaws, I would not like to argue theoretically, but rather I should show you proof. I'm going to be taking excerpts from a guide written on another forum by Woodmidget on making money with foraging familiars, which lists the ibis, fruit bat, and macaw as the best foragers in increasing order of profit and usability.

Here is a bit of the text guide (ignore the parts where she talks about cutting willows :P, that was for little concentration training):

The Macaw uses 12 summoning points per special (5 specials per full bar) and with each special it produces a random grimy herb (excluding snapdragon, toadflax, spiritweed, and torstol). While it is not guaranteed that you get a herb like the previous 2 foragers, it seems to produce a herb for me approximately 75% of the time so it's still more than worth the use. Typically I use 2 herbcall specials per invent of willows with a roughly 75% herb drop rate meaning I bank between 50-75 (depending on luck) grimy herbs per hour. In all honesty you *DO* get a lot of avantoe/irit/guam/harralander but about half the time you get a ranarr+ herb which bring up the profit per hour considerably depending on some luck.

While you might frown at getting a lot of guams you have to remember that herbcall scrolls sell for 105gp and even the lowly guam, the charlie brown of herbs, sells for almost 500gp each giving you an extremely fair profit. Throw in the 5+ ranarr per hour you'll get as well as other high level herbs that sell for 1500-3000 each and suddenly the profits per hour start picking up.

Giving a profit per hour is difficult with the Macaw since a lot of it depends on luck. In addition I`m unsure if levels influence what herbs you get (im 99 herblore and summoning) so perhaps anyone with lower levels that has tried a macaw can comment, it might turn out that it`s not good at lower levels. That said, the reason why the Macaw get`s the golden midget seal of approval as my personal favourite foraging familiar is that while fishing and woodcutting (as well as other skills) using the Macaw special, unlike the Ibis and Fruitbat, does not cut into hourly xp rates at all and so the 50+ grimy herbs I bank every hour while training are complete profit as well as an almost unending supply of herbs for herblore training and combat. Yesterday I spent a fair amount of time woodcutting with my Macaw and at the end of the day I had a new WC level as well as over 350 grimy herbs banked.

If you are looking at going from level 80 to level 99 that's roughly 165,000 willows. If you bank 2 herbs for every 25 willows you're looking at over 13,000 grimy herbs by the time you achieve 99 WC. Considering you`re looking at probably 1500gp profit average per herb or 100-125 herblore xp per herb you`re talking either 20m gp profit or over 1.5m herblore xp potential.

So to get better results you need to be outside a ways (although a few squares is all it takes). Since it doesn't cut into the time spent woodcutting, the only loss is of 3-4 inventory spaces, which is a very minute disadvantage that is made up for and more. Don't believe me? Check this out:

macaw1.png

•  
    [*:2tzbnodl]45 days of using Macaw while farming

[*:2tzbnodl]2,267 herbs collected

[*:2tzbnodl]1,535 gp average per herb

[*:2tzbnodl]subtract 105gp each herb for cost of scrolls

[*:2tzbnodl]subtract 1,275gp for each macaw pouch

So you get 2-5 herbs per woodcutting inventory (depends on if you get herbs, and how long each inventory takes (type of log and level)), and you average 1535 gp per herb, minus the 105 for the scroll and minute extra costs from herbless scrolls and pouches. That leaves approximately 1.4k money per herb, and you get multiple herbs per woodcutting inventory, at a negligible rate loss. See why I stressed this point?

And no offense intended to what you wrote in the guide, but this is added in the summary:

So you may be saying, "What about the other foragers?"

Beavers, Magpies, Wyrm`s...they *ALL* suck completely. The profits available are so low they aren`t worth mentioning here.

2496 Completionist