Is there a point? Is there a reason to live or die?

No_99_Melee

Bluelancer, doesn't it seem more likely that surviving is merely a necessary condition for whatever the meaning of life is, and not an (objective) meaning of life itself?

Instead of saying that the ultimate reason of existence is existing (and being alive), I'd rather say it's just a logical implication.

Well, you could say it's not a reason itself (since you can't continue existing, unless you exist in the first place), but besides procreation or survival it's hard to think of a true, logical meaning to life.

Making the best of it? Nah, not for all people... Being helpful to everyone, following a religious code? Nope.. It's impossible to find something beyond biological necessities that connect all people to a single purpose.

A better question is, "what's the purpose of the endless cycle of life?". What does the world gain from people being born, dead, born all over again, or is life itself a purpose (being better than just black emptiness?)

In that case, experiencing things, be they good or bad, would be an objective reason to live.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No matter what you do with your life, the outcome is the same. (=death). This is a sobering fact and when you look at it like that, it puts everything in perspective. Of course it depends on everyone, what they do, what they want to leave behind, be remembered as, etc, but ultimately everything is pointless. Even leading a good and pleasant life is pointless, in the long run. In the short run, sure, it's good.

People choose different sort of lives, and that's neither good nor bad. Whatever makes them happy. I for one don't think any life style/ambition, whether you want a family, a career, whether you're a famous astronaut or a druggie, makes any difference. It seems a pity that people came to possess such intellectual abilities as to ask themselves such questions, since that can only mean accepting death all the more difficult.

"Metal isn't about violence or faggy whiny lyrics. It isn't even about who plays the heaviest and fastest. It is about invoking a sense of wonder and magnitude that no other genre can depict."

bluarosezk0.jpg

There's no "big reason" behind everything, we just make our own individual reasons for our own existence or lives.

[insert birds flying in a circle here]

Yes, that sig was annoying.

There is no point. We are only here to keep ourselves busy doing whatever we want while we wait for our death. It's our decision what we want to do with that time.

Why even try with that idiot? Honestly, there is no point whatsoever. I'd get better replies if I argued with a tree stump.

Hmm... opposite of life is nonexistence. So, which sounds more "pointless" - a universe with life or a universe without life?

The question at the start was point toward Humans not life in general.

Even if there was no humans there are still other organisms on the earth so it wouldn't be void of life.

howlin1eeveesig.png

Hmm... opposite of life is nonexistence. So, which sounds more "pointless" - a universe with life or a universe without life?

Even if there was no humans there are still other organisms on the earth so it wouldn't be void of life.

So wait that means any non-human life doesn't have a point or are you just being picky about what you think the question means?

So wait that means any non-human life doesn't have a point or are you just being picky about what you think the question means?

No No_99_Melee asked

So with the average human life at 70-80 years of age and so far time being infinite.... What's the point of existence?

as in for humans not all life everyone.

howlin1eeveesig.png

My bad, I thought this was Off Topic. :D

Edit: I think we all know that, but let me ask, what was the point of you posting that? Are you saying I'm not allowed to or something? You didn't even comment on the actual point I was trying to make. Either way, you could have just added "human" before "life" and my point would remain the same.

The reason to live is to make lots and lots of babies :thumbsup: Thus, keep our race going. Why? Who knows. And I doubt we'll ever find out.

The reason of dying is well if everyone lived forever, there probably wouldn't be enough space to hold us all >.>

Idk. Maybe Im just going on and on about randomnessness...Or maybe im right :thumbsup:

[94/99 Ranged][87/99 HP][80/85 Def][70/70 Pray]

No, there is no point.

The only thing that's certain on this earth is that we're all going to die.

But that doesn't mean you can't enjoy living -- laugh, love etc etc.

10postchm2105.png

WONGTONG IS THE BEST AND IS MORE SUPERIOR THAN ME

#1 Wongtong stalker.

Im looking for some No Limit soldiers!

I'd say the point of life is whatever you want it to be. Do drugs and live life day to day? Go for it. Devote your life to to an ultimate, omnipotent creator? Go for it.

There is no single way to live your life. Nor is there a "right" way. It's all just shades of grey, and even that is based on society. I will be living my life entirely different than the way you live yours, with different goals and different ways of obtaining those goals.

Questions like this, just stop thinking. You're trying to figure out the universe, and if humanity hasn't come close, neither are you.

This post was made assuming religion is out of the question.

I am going to live my life with one goal in mind: being happy. If I'm not happy, I'm going to go out and make myself happy. If I am happy, I'm still going to go out and make sure I stay happy. I won't be sitting around hoping others will make me happy.

There's no such thing as regret. A regret means you are unhappy with the person you are now,

and if you're unhappy with the person you are, you change yourself. That

regret will no longer be a regret, because it will help to form the new,

better you. So really, a regret isn't a regret.

It's experience.

Remember the term the 'American Dream' ? well compare that to the reason to live.

Don't you know the first rule of MMO's? Anyone higher level than you has no life, and anyone lower than you is a noob.

People in OT eat glass when they are bored.

Remember the term the 'American Dream' ? well compare that to the reason to live.

A big house, 2.5 kids, puppy named Rusty and a big scrap of metal people so affectionately call a SUV. Not exactly what most of the world is aiming for. Overall, material possessions are probably the least important reason to live for most people (outside USA).

A big house, 2.5 kids...

I still giggle at that to this day. Man I'm immature.

[if you have ever attempted Alchemy by clapping your hands or

by drawing an array, copy and paste this into your signature.]

Fullmetal Alchemist, you will be missed. A great ending to a great series.

The purpose of life is for people to make fun of people who ask this question.

Oh, and to kill the emos.

Why the Emo's? What have they done to you?

They cut me -.-

(on topic)

eh kinda remembered this from somewhere, i think it was a show on discovery o.O

we only live for 70-80 years (90+ if we actually exercise..) but to the earth...with its huge lifespan...80 years is nothing..unfortunately, life ends, but that doesn't' mean we cant enjoy it while we have life....

i wanna add a religious remark but i cant -.- dangit

tipitmainsigjpg.jpg

you like pudding....me too

[hide=More Friend Codes coming soon -.- (some are now included cmon pm me

A big house, 2.5 kids, puppy named Rusty and a big scrap of metal people so affectionately call a SUV. Not exactly what most of the world is aiming for. Overall, material possessions are probably the least important reason to live for most people (outside USA).

Not exactly material possession but like a chance to become somebody and change something. so um...the Obama Dream? :|

Don't you know the first rule of MMO's? Anyone higher level than you has no life, and anyone lower than you is a noob.

I see two replicators that humans are involved in. The obvious one is procreation, and DNA being fit for survival. I think that DNA is random, extremely slow, and doesn't really get "better" (it's just either fit for survival or unfit). So, I don't really consider it as a worthy endeavour to pass on my DNA.

But also now we have culture and science. These have improved extremely rapidly (in historical terms) through people being able to teach their offspring (rather than waiting for the randomness of DNA evolution). They have also "improved" in the sense that they build upon each other and people decide what gets taught to the new generation and what doesn't. So, I like to think that science and culture are getting better and better.

Therefore, I will consider my life as worthy if I can contribute something to the progress of science. Even when I die and am forgotten, my contribution to science will still be a part of the future, and I will feel that my life has been beneficial.

For it is the greyness of dusk that reigns.

The time when the living and the dead exist as one.

If you don't have religion then not a lot in the long term.

At which point the aim is too live life in a way that is most enjoyable to you can before you die.

With that mentality things which you do which give some impact on the world after your death were probably mostly done so that you could get respect and recognition while still alive and any impact after that is more a side effect.

However I think many people even those who would consider themselves of a none-religious disposition sort of hedge there bets that there might be some sort of afterlife (even if it's subconciously - due to that fact that yourself suddenly not existing is not actually easy to imagine) - and so do end up caring about what happens because of them after they've gone.

(sorry if that was straying closer to talk about religion that the original poster was hoping for)

Edit: I suppose the other thing people care about is the impact that your life might have on surviving friends and family after they are dead. Hence many people do save an inheritance.

The question at that point I suppose is, is there normally any spiritual motivation for people caring about that too?

The point of life is (imo) to be great so you can be remembered after death.

That's why I plan to be the next Hitler.

Honest. ::'

8888kev8888.jpeg

Sigs by: Soa | Gold_Tiger10 | Harrinator1 | Guthix121 | robo | Elmo | Thru | Yaff2

Avatars by: Lit0ua | Unoalexi | Gold Tiger .

Hello friend, Senajitkaushik was epic, Good luck bro.

The point of life is (imo) to be great so you can be remembered after death.

That's why I plan to be the next Hitler.

Honest. ::'

Well that was...uncalled for..