Is there a point? Is there a reason to live or die?

No_99_Melee

Not sure if it's been posted before....

So with the average human life at 70-80 years of age and so far time being infinite.... What's the point of existence? Whatever you do in your lifetime will it be remembered in 100 years? 1000 years? Millions of years? I hardly doubt the last one.... and so what does it matter if you were remembered or not? If you're dead you're dead right? (Religion aside on this one)

What are your thoughts? Are we just a species doomed to procreate infinite times until the end of time or is there something more?

*Bonus*: To whoever finds where I got the title name from ;)

1288581197250-1.jpg

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The point of existing is to make a positive impact and imprint on the world before you leave. To experience the things all humans should experience: happiness, joy and love. To do that however, you must go through the obstacles to get the reward. It is the pursuit of happiness that we as humans envision of living, where one day no worry or hardship will ever come our way. Sadly, this isn't the reality for people and they grind away in the hustle and bustle of society, in an attempt to live life with all the joy they can.

cgknightofroundsorigina.jpg

99 Hits, Attack, Strength, Defence, Mage, Summoning, Slayer, Ranged, 96/99 Prayer

Personally I think life is useless. There is no purpose. The world won't change after you die. You will be forgotten eventually.

Existence = useless.

Not a nice thought. I hate to think it, and basically I don't want to think about it, and just live my life. But this is what I believe is true.

The point of existing is to make a positive impact and imprint on the world before you leave. To experience the things all humans should experience: happiness, joy and love. To do that however, you must go through the obstacles to get the reward.

But won't all those experiences be gone in a short while anyways? What's the reward? (Notice I said religion aside... Imagine if you will that when you died you no longer existed even to yourself)

1288581197250-1.jpg

The title sounds like something Mohinder says in the opening of an episode of Heroes.

As for me, I don't wonder about this, because whatever the point of life is it certainly isn't to wonder about the point of life.

p2gq.jpg

There is no "reason", our existance is a freak occurrence enabled by a precise environment and composition of elements. Basically we're just another part of this universe.

Do I think being remembered in the future is useless? Of course it is after you die but the steps in which you take to becoming remembered add to your life in most situations. I guess to some people knowing they will be remembered is comforting.

[iNSERT "I R EATIN TEH SHIX ATM" BILL COSBY SIGNATURE GIF HERE, LOL]

Good old Nihilism.

It's very easy to ask "what's the point of everything?", and many people do. However it's not really worth the effort to try and figure it out, because there isn't a simple answer.

spacescenev24.jpg

Why's this forum so emo lately? Not that I mean any offense to emos. :oops:

The point of life is whatever you make it. I have an idea of what I want to do with mine, how I want to use it to shape the world around me, what I want to do when I'm older. I wouldn't say my life is pointless. I've got so much left to do.

Procreation.

Get off the computer and start [bleep]ing, damnit.

[if you have ever attempted Alchemy by clapping your hands or

by drawing an array, copy and paste this into your signature.]

Fullmetal Alchemist, you will be missed. A great ending to a great series.

I'm not emo in any sense... I love life and all its beauteous forms. Yet I feel there's got to be something more that we just aren't getting. I do agree it is pointless to sit around trying to come up with a reasonable solution, but hey that's what message boards are for right?

1288581197250-1.jpg

The point of life is whatever you make it. I have an idea of what I want to do with mine, how I want to use it to shape the world around me, what I want to do when I'm older. I wouldn't say my life is pointless. I've got so much left to do.

What's so emo about a simple phylosophical question?

It depends which way you look at it, as it does with every question(almost!).

It depends what you think "point" means in the question. It is what you need to do in life or is it something that you can change in the world or is something else completely.

What's so emo about a simple phylosophical question?

It's just all the topics and death and the point in life. I'm thinking of the Euthanasia and the Happiness threads too. I'm cool with it anyway. I love these sorts of questions.

I'm not emo in any sense... I love life and all its beauteous forms. Yet I feel there's got to be something more that we just aren't getting. I do agree it is pointless to sit around trying to come up with a reasonable solution, but hey that's what message boards are for right?

I think you're right. If humans have the capability of intelligent and free thought then there must be something more to our existence than merely reproducing for the species' survival. We're all different though, so that "more" depends on the person you are, and what matters to you personally.

It depends which way you look at it, as it does with every question(almost!).

It depends what you think "point" means in the question. It is what you need to do in life or is it something that you can change in the world or is something else completely.

Pretty much why do you exist?

1288581197250-1.jpg

The purpose of living is to survive another day.

Humans, and any species that can question this basic need to survive, may be motivated by other factors. For example: religion, spirituality, morals, family, money, happiness, experience, etc.

I personally view life as an experience that is to be enjoyed. :D

my own personal belief:

Finding the meaning of life is difficult stuff.

You can donate your whole life to look for it, and there's a high chance in not finding your own reason.

(Cause it has to be different for each person)

So being regarded as a funny guy (probably not on this forum) I think what I need to do is help people by brightening thier days, making them laugh etc.

Also, another way in helping people to find my own personal meaning, I would like to be some kind of doctor. \'

And if that fails for some reason, i plan to be a spy working for the secret services, cause I don't feel I need to get married in life.

That's something which perplexes me, its part of the human life plan to do your job, then settle down with a wife and kids.

But is it considered weird to see someone older, who never got married...? Who decided it has to be in the human's life plan to get married?

And what Lenticular said, Do it for the lulz!

megakillersigbyhawkxsrh0.png

Quit Runescape 30th May 2006.

Thanks to Hawkxs for my signature :)

There is no single answer to this question. There are as many different answers to this question as there have been human beings on this planet.

For me personally, I don't project my expectations outward (e.g., will anyone know I was here after I'm gone), because validation through others is an empty cup. I look inward to who I am, and what defines me to me, and what will enrich my life through my experiences. You are who you think you are and who you live up to being. That is the reason for my existence. Anything else is simply a philosophy exercise.

Ewsentinel.png

KoAClan.org for adults

Could it be that point of life is to find the point of life?

I don't think so. It seems that the meaning of life is like water. The tighter you clench it in your fist, the faster it squirts through your finger.

Ewsentinel.png

KoAClan.org for adults

Reproduction? ...To keep the human race alive until someone great comes along and does something remarkable...

I honestly don't know. (If I did, you would all be worshiping me...) But I think we all play a small part. The world is a huge machine, or body, however you want to look at it...And each of us is a small part. And we all play a role that has some impact (...No appendix remarks, pl0x), big or small. As Confucius said, "the man who moves a mountain begins by carrying small stones." To do something great (Moving a mountain...), it requires many people (...Carrying small stones), each playing a part.

So my belief is that we all exist to have some impact on the world. Whether it'll be a notable impact (A important discovery, possibly?) or a small one (...Can't think of a good example...), it doesn't matter - We all have our part to play. Shakespeare time - "All the world's a stage, and all the men and women merely players. They have their exits and their entrances, and one man in his time plays many parts."

(Two quotes that are in Civ4 in one post - Awesome)

doublesmileyface1.png

Cenin pân nîd, istan pân nîd, dan nin ú-cenich, nin ú-istach.

Ithil luin eria vi menel caran...Tîn dan delu.