"N00b skillcapes" : they're also skillcapes!

Demoli

The Quest Cape is now currently the rarest weilded cape in the game! :thumbup:

Still. Any cape remains as an achievement but yeah, Quest Cape now with the grandmaster quest, hats off to those who've got it!

bppetrolsigfb6.png

Even on my death bed, I'll bare-hand that bloody shark.

• Replies 345
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Troacctid, generalizations will always be made, and there will always be exceptions.

Look at how "game intelligent" all the 99 cookers/fletchers/firemakers are, then compare it to how "game intelligent" the 99 slayers/rcers/agilty'ers/miners/smithers/herblorers/farmers/... Are. Look at the AVERAGE. You have idiotic slayer, you have cool cookers, true. I bet you'll find that those fletchers/firemakers/cookers are IN GENERAL a whole lot more "stupid".

Now about woodcutting/magic/fishing and perhaps some others. I might not have mentioned it, but I put these guys (in general, again) lots of times next to the cookers (in my mind, you know) etc, well a little behind it, since they actually take more time/money.

As for magic in particular, that's a hard one. You either got the "cool" players who get magic just by playing a lot, doing dks, doing cwars, doing barrows, bursting, doing bit of alching. Then you've got, in my opinion, the "noobs", who just high alch to 99. High alching to 99 is IMO nearly as stupid as burning for 99 firemaking. Little difference, the 99 is useful.

Actually, after a little thinking, I just disrespect skills everyone lvls, lol. Like woodcutting, every f2per does it, I hate it. Fishing, I somehow value higher (but not as high as, say, farming).

so bedman that means your own account should reflect that. i like all skills, and i dont have 99 cook/fletch/fm mainly because i cant be bothered and i might be the only runescape player who still thinks its hard to get them to 99. what most of the haters are saying is it would be an awesome 99 if only a few people had it, but the more who get it the worse it becomes or the less useful it gets.

fact is, in runescape you have all these skills. the higher your firemaking the better your character is in that skill, the higher your slayer the better your character is in that skill. makes no difference what skill it is - you can argue all day but you arent going to have 99 in all skills but firemaking are you, might as well train them all and if firemaking is what comes first good on ya. and by the way, i fished my own 25k monkfish and now im cooking them, when i eventually get 99 fish then 99 cook will i be looked down on for wearing my cooking cape even though i fished them all myself, or laughed at for fishing them all myself when i could have just bought them.

oh and its the people with 99s in the first place who encouraged every tom [bleep] and harry to have a 99 or no one would respect them, whereas i think 1600+ total level takes a long time and gives a lot of variety.

macho_munky.png

... i fished my own 25k monkfish and now im cooking them, when i eventually get 99 fish then 99 cook will i be looked down on for wearing my cooking cape even though i fished them all myself, or laughed at for fishing them all myself when i could have just bought them.

Well done, I fished all my fish to 99, then cooked them for 99 Cooking, I did the same with woodcutting to get fletching to 99. With Slayer automatically comes the combats etc etc.

Complementary skilling ftw!

shey.png

I dunno, but *ALL* skills are easy now.

Even those that alot of people say are "hard", are easy...

I played, well quiet alot in classic, from just after it started to just after our rsclassic high scores was no longer updated, then I quit. I return 6 monthes ago to find all this, I have gotten 21mill xp in 6 monthes on K O N K A R, It took me 3 years on K R I S K to get 20.

No "Make X" option.

Max of 30-35k per hour Str/Att/Def training.

Every rock had to be clicked while a big circle Pick came over your head till you got _1_ Ore, click again.

Every fish had to be clicked.

Ect Ect.

Prayer, people seem to respect. Me, not overly. I do remeber what it was like many a years ago compared to now. I went from 43 to 70 prayer in 2 nights, an that wasn't all nighters or anything, only 6 hours or what ever.

Most are more or less buyable.

Chins, Super sets, ect ect.

I do question if alot of people who never played classic, only RS2 would you of sticked around long enough to get to RS2, with the slow xp, no cape to 'show off' ect. We played to PK majority, it's what the game was about.

Woodcut>Firemake>Fish>Cook>Suply to PK

Mine>Smith>Suply To PK

Herblaw>Suply to PK

Runecraft>Mage>Pk

Do you see where I'm going, Pking was fun (Yes there was just skillers, but not near as many, bugger all tbh)

The game was played for more fun than addiction as the way I see it.

MY POINT: Don't play because some noob has a cape an thinks he runs the joint, he's immature dealing with puberty and you want to be JUST LIKE HIM. Play to relax, have fun, go for a cape that you enjoy not because you 'need' one.

I'm combat 115 with a total of 21mill xp>1110 Total>54 Qps(Done dragon slayer at 113cb)>4 lvl 1 skills

I ONLY do things I enjoy, I get called a noob for it, yet I know more about this game then everysingle person who has mocked me, and I prove it everytime because its funny.

This is not a game of 'skill' it's a game of time. To be honest, that's why I play it, it's easy enough to just chill out and do with so many options. (Aleit that I play for the combat and don't do skills anymore, not since classic).

I Respect the person who chats about what ever is going on in there country an what they get up to, more so than the person who snobs me (For what ever reason).

Onto people who 'waste money buying rares' ;

I have owned party hat sets, Santa hats, and Halloween mask sets (All at one time). Even back then, when pink was most expensive at 18mill, I still wore my 200k Santa hat over it. I plan on buying another Santa an An Blue mask once I have the money (Can only do so much in 6 monthes lol) As they make my time playing more worth while.

Currently going for 99 strength as I think hitting higher is more fun (FOR ME) than lastling longer with 99 defence. I don't care how many people have it, I have wanted it ever since I started all them years ago, now it's so much easyer I will be getting it with in a couple of weeks for my first ever skill cape. With a plan on trimming with either 99 attack, or 99 Herblaw. I could never ever play to 'just get a cape' I am just doing it in the things I love to do. The 99 is far more of a pay off than a silly cape to be honest.

~ K O N K A R ~ Konkar Jr ~ X Konkar X
99 Strength - 18/12/08 - 99 Attack - 5/2/09
99 Hp - 20/7/09 - 99 Defence 26/7/09
K_O_N_K_A_R.png

R.I.P.
K R I S K
Krisk Jr
RSC, Lives on in all of us

You should get a cape that is fun for you. Not to prove you are a absolute no lifer, that can play all nighters and such.

Owned_Nex.png

Dungeoneering isn't a skill.

I'm faster than bots at Sorceress Garden.

PM me if you want to chat. My PM is always off.

My keyboard is on fire. Want some?

I personally love firemaking hence why i am going for 99 in that skill. I cant help but burn logs, cept for magics, only logs i dont burn really, unless i put em in pyre mode. All my accs i've made so far have had fm right up there with wc. People ask why and i think to myself of an answer. And the answer is a question i've come up with: what is more exciting, making fires or putting logs in a bank? Im going to be cutting and burning yews all day today for the time that im on. Which wont be that much cuz of thanksgiving party. But yaaa 99 fm, cooking, fletch is not noob. If they are "cheap skills" then arent cb related skills cheap as well? You dont spend anything to train atk, str, def, hp. All you do is fight monsters, which involves a lot of clicking and time and effort. You do that with cooking, fletching and firemaking as well. You could also say that about crafting as well, just make a lot of bowstring and you have level 99 and a bunch of moolaa. Idk where im going with this haha.

doomdfence.png

i am doing fm to 99 atm too. i personally am doing it because i can and it was cheap at the time and at the moment it is fun. i feel more attached to my wc cape because it was my first one so it is likely that i will ware my fm cape for like the first hour then it will go into my house. it not that fm or cook or any other such skill that you can by is noob its that it is so much easier to get then other skills like slayer and farming. those take a lot fo time and patience any way you cut it. there are some that could go either way. wc could take you a month or it could take you five depending on what you cut ( id yews so it took me 5 :wall: ). you could even say the same with fletch. i would assume that most people buy their supplies ie the logs/ un-strungs the bs/flax. i personally bought the flax and cut all 73k of the logs i needed for 99 fletch. now does that make a noob. not really cause it has made me tons of money but does that make me not a noob idk. some call me a noob just because i cut all my logs to 99 fletch. i guess it is all a matter of perspective. i enjoyed getting my 99s. and that is all that really matters. if you are doing it for any other reason you should go find something else to do. atm i enjoy fm. and even though it is costing me money it still give me the chance to catch up with friends and make new ones. like i said b4 if you are getting a 99 to make boat loads of cash or to some other pointless end you should find something that you enjoy and stick to that rather then doing it for monetary gain.

....wow that was some sort of rant there..... sorry i did not mean for that to go that far.

Good luck to all who are virtuously going for a 99 or other such goal. do it for friendship and a good time. not the money and just plain boredom that it will bring you (if you don't enjoy it). :thumbsup:

~~~legoman187~~~

nee0cg.png

Clicky siggy for blog

Thanks Pendonub for fancy new sig

Thieving guide[WIP]

Loyal player since May 2005 and member since November 2005 and Tifer for many years

~~~legoman187~~~

Troacctid, generalizations will always be made, and there will always be exceptions.

Look at how "game intelligent" all the 99 cookers/fletchers/firemakers are, then compare it to how "game intelligent" the 99 slayers/rcers/agilty'ers/miners/smithers/herblorers/farmers/... Are. Look at the AVERAGE. You have idiotic slayer, you have cool cookers, true. I bet you'll find that those fletchers/firemakers/cookers are IN GENERAL a whole lot more "stupid".

How exactly did you come up with these so-called "averages"? You just made them up. What are you basing this on, exactly? The plural of anecdote is not data. :ugeek:

Actually, after a little thinking, I just disrespect skills everyone lvls, lol. Like woodcutting, every f2per does it, I hate it. Fishing, I somehow value higher (but not as high as, say, farming).
Well then. Combat skills are waaaaaay n00bier than fletching, cooking, or firemaking. ;)

How exactly did you come up with these so-called "averages"? You just made them up. What are you basing this on, exactly? The plural of anecdote is not data. :ugeek:

Well then. Combat skills are waaaaaay n00bier than fletching, cooking, or firemaking. ;)

Experience with people is enough. I dont need data for that...

And yes, combat is nooby in some way, nearly everyone is 99. But it's useful, by far the most useful skill there is.

The whole "anyone who gets a 99 just for the cape is a noob" ideology is idiotic. By that same logic, beating Jad for a fire cape, beating Legends for that cape, doing the circus stuff for ringmaster outfits, spending hours upon hours for cash to buy third age armor, or anything else that certain people consider to be unworthy of their time simply because there are "better" items, is also "nooby".

I don't have the patience for any 99s, personally. But I did take the time to earn the cash for and buy all three godrobes+ capes/blessed dhide sets. Not because their highly esteemed, but because I like how they look, and I enjoy wearing them. That's the main reason several of my friends have gotten their capes -- for the look, and the pride that comes from setting a goal and achieving it.

In my opinion, anyone who sets a goal, and achieves it, is to be congratulated, not spat upon in derision. Just because their goals are not your goals does not lessen their achievement.

The whole "anyone who gets a 99 just for the cape is a noob" ideology is idiotic. By that same logic, beating Jad for a fire cape, beating Legends for that cape, doing the circus stuff for ringmaster outfits, spending hours upon hours for cash to buy third age armor, or anything else that certain people consider to be unworthy of their time simply because there are "better" items, is also "nooby".

QFT. "Getting 99 cooking just for the cape" is no n00bier than "Getting 19m just for the red h'ween mask."

Ect Ect.

Chins, Super sets, ect ect.

Call me pedantic if you like, but ect means absolutely nothing. For those that are not aware, etc. is an abbreviation generally held to have stemmed from the Latin phrase ET Ceteri. Let's get the basic 3 letter words right shall we now?!

People dislike the easy skills simply because it doesn't mean nearly as much to get 99 in cooking as it does to get it in a much harder skill, such as smithing or runecrafting. It's like this with everything, whips used to be the most awesome thing in the game, now look at them.. just about everyone over level 80 has one.

And now moving off spelling and onto capes...

If a firemaking, fletching, cooking cape etc are all nooby, explain what exactly is to be respected about all the other capes?

In the great scheme of life, not a single one of them will amount to any tangible improvement in your quality of life, your wages, your social life, house, family etc etc... To me those are things that matter and it is the preservation of these which deserves the greater respect. Thus a friend of mine without skillcapes who stops playing early every evening to be fresh for taking her children to school the next morning commands more respect than Zezima (an unmistakable all-time great player). Sure Gertjaars is top at the moment, but Zezima the real life person finally woke up to the life he was wasting and I believe is currently studying for a degree. If not for that he would probably still be sat on top spot with a few hundred million xp to spare, but somehow I respect him more for that now than I ever did in the many years he was number 1.

I will congratulate anyone I see with any form of cape, such that even months ago before the harder quests came out, the quest cape got a special congratulatory message from me as well. Or rather, the person did. However, does that mean I respect them? No. I can appreciate that they have the kind of drive I do not in pursuing an essentially pointless cause to the pinnacle of achievement in it, but I do not respect that person by default, or write them off as a noob because they don't have one of the rare capes.

I myself have no 99s, with a total lvl in excess of 1700 and am neither especially wealthy nor an especially remarkable character. But why should I respect somebody with full combat 99s because of the time they wasted in getting there? I've played for years and I've met plenty of people chasing crazy targets in game, and I enjoy the diversity they bring to the gaming community. To say these people should be respected purely based on skills is a pathetic fallacy that will leave you ill-prepared for the real world, where such crude measures of attainment are rarely so highly prized.

It is surely unfair to criticise someone for spending their time attaining a skillcape in a lesser skill, because that alone signifies a remarkable commitment to what may be deemed a pathetic cause. But perhaps a little rethink is in order for whether it is the capes or the people behind them that deserve respect. I will gladly call a 138 a noob and think nothing of their multitude of capes if that is what they deserve. And I will gladly give my respect to ANYONE worthy of it, regardless of skill totals or wealth. There is something a lot more noble to the notion of respect than simply the cheap purchase of achievement.

i feel that there is no point to getting a skill cape unless there is a legit reason behind it. why spend many hours for a cape? if u were doing it on a skill which makes u money fair enough but y spend 5 or so mil on a cape? for a pat on the back from your fellow rs peers? waste of what ever it cost you.

i agree that most skillcapes are a waste of time, i dont quite understand why fletching was brough up as a hated one tho. even tho it is easy to achieve it is one i am near not out of a goal but because it is fairly easy money, and it saves me trips to the bank every yew load.

i am currently training fm, once again not for the cape but because of the inferno adze, many of my runescape goals are based around getting items or being able to do things or quests. i dont think there is anything wrong with training for a purpose, and assuming somebody is training a "noob skill" simply for a skillcape is an unfair asumption to make.

what on earth made you think to set it on fire?

i... um, guess... because it was there

P.S. i realise this may be despite the point considering the extra 200 or so k shouldn't be much money to anybody who is in a position to get a skillcape but the skillcape is actually cheaper and in a few cases better looking than the obby cape

what on earth made you think to set it on fire?

i... um, guess... because it was there

Seeing how there are already 8 pages on this thread, and I have not read through them all, if I repeat someone's point already, I do apologize.

Some believe cook, fletch, and fire making are "noob" capes. But imo, prayer, mage, and many others can be put into the same category. Buy bones and bury. Buy alch items and alch. It all depends on the money you have. Just about every skill can be bought or enhanced with money in one way or another. To many players, the whole point of this game is to get 99 in evertyhing... not all folks mind you, but some. So to me, noobie capes or not, they are accomplishments in one form or another. If someone calls you a noob, and doesn't possess a cape of their own.... chalk it up to some hateraide. And to those that refuse to get the "noob" capes just because they feel they won't get respected, give me a break. Go get that slayer cape. When I come by and show you 4 or 5 different capes and you show me the same ol emote over and over.... we will see who gets more praise.

*shrugs*

artien.png

99 Fletch/Cook/Farm

{Started- 11/06}