When publishing a website.. (font questions)

woopidoo2

I'm currently learning the basics of xHTML and CSS at school and at home.

As an 'own project', I want to make my own website where I can publish my photos as a photographer. This has nothing to do with school, I just want to see how I will manage.

I have a question, both the teacher and the text book say that not all kinds of fonts are supported by computers because the user hasnt installed every font on his machine. Browsers will automatically insert alternatives for uninstalled fonts, but thats not what I want because I want that everyone sees the font that I used on my website.

Is there a way to make my font visible to all websites? I could try to fix something in flash, but this could result in clickable images instead of links.

I'm thinking about making something like this website, clean and simple. Look at the links at the left, thats what I'm trying to achieve.

Help is appreciated :)

carsignatureis3.jpg

[http://woopidoo2.deviantart.com]

[Tip.it Moderator from Dec 10, 2006 to 03 Sep, 2008]

There are is only one work around when you want to use a font which isn't installed on the viewer.

Use images.

Each of the links in that page are small images.

IMO, I hate it when people create sites which use images like that as they are not very browser friendly or user friendly.

You see each images size will be a fair bit larger then the same text as text.

This increases the loading time of the page, reek havoc with text/screen readers and makes the page un-viewable in some browsers.

On top of this old people can't increase the text size to help them view the pages, mobile device users will have to scroll the page(s).

If you are going to do this create the site in Photoshop or GIMP and the slice the images.

[hide=Drops]

• Dragon Axe x11
    Berserker Ring x9
    Warrior Ring x8
    Seercull
    Dragon Med
    Dragon Boots x4 - all less then 30 kc
    Godsword Shard (bandos)
    Granite Maul x 3

Solo only - doesn't include barrows[/hide][hide=Stats]

joe_da_studd.png[/hide]

Alternatively you can use flash to use fonts for things like menus and titles (not reccomended for full page text). Lots of news websites use this feature. The good thing is that if people dont have flash or its disabled then it shows a regular font in its place for compatability :)

http://www.creativepro.com/article/use- ... ite-design

612d9da508.png

Mercifull.png

Mercifull <3 Suzi

"We don't want players to be able to buy their way to success in RuneScape. If we let players start doing this, it devalues RuneScape for others. We feel your status in real-life shouldn't affect your ability to be successful in RuneScape" Jagex 01/04/01 - 02/03/12

Use font-familys like Time New Roman, Arial, Georgia, etc

Those are the most common fonts and probably something like 90% (complete guess) of people will have at least one of those installed.

As for the people who will actually see your site (tip.it, DA etc), it's likely that everyone is going to have all of them installed.

spacescenev24.jpg

Thanks for the replies,

I already thought of using the 'standard' fonts,

but my main concern is what to do with the lesser-known fonts, and how I solve that problem.

I will read your article later Merc, I think that answers the question above :)

carsignatureis3.jpg

[http://woopidoo2.deviantart.com]

[Tip.it Moderator from Dec 10, 2006 to 03 Sep, 2008]

You can choose a particular font and then add other fonts into the tag so the computer will display alternate fonts if the user doesn't have the 'preferred font' installed.

You can do this by listing additional fonts under the tag (in HTML); something like should work.

You can choose a particular font and then add other fonts into the tag so the computer will display alternate fonts if the user doesn't have the 'preferred font' installed.

You can do this by listing additional fonts under the tag (in HTML); something like should work.

No, that's a deprecated tag. You'd be using the font-family attribute in your stylesheet.

For something small like that, the easiest way to do it is going to be with images, but you could do it with flash or even with a bit of php:

http://p27.us/fonts.php?font_size=24&text=Helvetica%20Beeyotch

fonts.php?font_size=24&text=Helvetica%20Beeyotch

[hide=Quickly written code]

<?php

$font = 'Helvetica CE Regular.ttf';

$text = $_GET['text'];

$size = $_GET['font_size'];

$box = imagettfbbox($size, 0, $font, $text);

if(!$box)

{

die('error');

}

$height = abs($box[7]) + abs($box[1]) + 6;

$width = abs($box[4]) + 6;

$pic = imagecreatetruecolor($width, $height);

if(!$pic)

{

die('error');

}

imagealphablending($pic,false);

$col = imagecolorallocatealpha($pic,255,255,255,127);

imagefilledrectangle($pic,0,0,$width,$height,$col);

imagealphablending($pic,true);

$colour = imagecolorallocate($pic, 0, 0, 0);

$x = ($width - $box[4])/2;

$y = ($height - $box[5])/2;

if(!imagettftext($pic, $size, 0, $x, $y, $colour, $font, $text))

{

die('error');

}

header('Content-Type: image/png');

imagealphablending($pic,false);

imagesavealpha($pic,true);

imagepng($pic);

imagedestroy($pic);

?>

[/hide]

Using the method i posted is the only way to keep your site accessable and search engine friendly. Images are a quick and easy way but not ideal.

612d9da508.png

Mercifull.png

Mercifull <3 Suzi

"We don't want players to be able to buy their way to success in RuneScape. If we let players start doing this, it devalues RuneScape for others. We feel your status in real-life shouldn't affect your ability to be successful in RuneScape" Jagex 01/04/01 - 02/03/12

If you're only going to make like a title with a "lesser used/known" font, just use an image.

But if you're going to use it for a giant block of text, do what the other people here have said.

10postchm2105.png

WONGTONG IS THE BEST AND IS MORE SUPERIOR THAN ME

#1 Wongtong stalker.

Im looking for some No Limit soldiers!

The mug is cool though. :thumbsup:

I see myself as a graphic designer in some years, creating things on a computer behind a desk..

with a 'Ban Comic Sans' mug like that full of coffee :)

As well a massive bags under your eyes, grey hair and chain smoking. :lol:

spacescenev24.jpg