Secret German bomb-plane sketches

woopidoo2

These drawings were found by the allies in 1945 (In Germany), and they are getting auctioned now.

Its some kind of an arrow-dart with a 1000kg bomb on it, its a very narrow plane so it would be nearly impossible to take down from the ground.

The pilot would escape by using some kind of parachute after he would release the bomb.

[hide=Weblinks]http://www.geenstijl.nl/archives/images/dartpijl12.jpg

http://www.geenstijl.nl/archives/images/dartplane.jpg[/hide]

[hide=The (big) sketches]dartpijl12.jpg

dartplane.jpg[/hide]

HITLER'S SECRET AIR WEAPON:

An interesting, extremely rare set of original designs for a German Third Reich aircraft featuring a bomb. The five different detailed pencil drawings, with ink annotations, by an unknown engineer, are on two sides of a 4to sheet of graph paper, n.p., n.d., and depict a last ditch glider bomber designed to be mass produced for one-off missions against Naval targets. Also included is a further drawing showing the proposed course of flight by the glider. The drawings show that the mother ship, based on a late variant of the Ju 88, released the piloted glider, equipped with a 1000 kilo bomb, which, using the tungsten cored flying principle of a pub dart dived on its target at speeds in excess of 700 mph. The aircraft is also equipped with a balloon which would have been released simultaneously with the bomb and, taking some time to inflate, would produce a slowly enlarging drag inducer to keep the glider under some form of control whilst the pilot attempted to escape. These drawings were removed from the Reichs Chancellery in Berlin in July 1945 by Richard Rex who had been sent to Germany to help establish a medical dispensary for use during The Potsdam Conference. Accompanied by a detailed letter of authenticity signed by Rex and witnessed by a Notary Public. Also included is a letter from Terry Gander, an expert in German aviation of World War II, explaining that he has never seen anything like the glider previously and continuing to offer his interpretation of how the aircraft would have flown and been manufactured. A unique set of drawings illustrating one of Hitler's secret air weapons that may have changed the course of history and helped him win World War II. File holes to left edges, causing small areas of paper loss although not affecting the drawings and annotations. Otherwise VG, 2

£2000-3000

Source:

http://www.autographauctions.co.uk/bidc ... us=C&alot=

I wonder what would have happened if they continued this plan, and if it would have changed the course of WW2.

I'm not sure if the 'escape' plan would have worked, the pilot would be seen by lots of people and he would land on enemy territory.

Discuss :thumbup:

carsignatureis3.jpg

[http://woopidoo2.deviantart.com]

[Tip.it Moderator from Dec 10, 2006 to 03 Sep, 2008]

These plans were made in 1945?

That be why they lost the War. Well, not the only reason obviously, but one reason.

I wonder what would have happened if they continued this plan, and if it would have changed the course of WW2.

I doubt it. Would it really have won them Stalingrad? The Battle of the Atlantic? The Mediterranean campaign?

It just looks like a super version of the V2 attacks, and as we all know, they really didn't do anything either except a slight shock in morale of complacent Londoners.

There were many "Secret Weapons" of the Luftwaffe. Some were practical like the Gotha 229 Flying Wing and the Heavy Water bomb. Some worked out of desperation like the Komet (a one way rocket) and others were just ludicrous like that one plane that used ramjets on a rotor to fly like a helicopter.

Desperation leads to innovation. Many of those German designs went on to create projects like the X planes and made such things as supersonic flight, space travel, and such possible.

Untitled.png

My heart is broken by the terrible loss I have sustained in my old friends and companions and my poor soldiers. Believe me, nothing except a battle lost can be half so melancholy as a battle won. -Sir Arthur Wellesley

Ha, the thing probably wouldn't even fly. The center of gravity looks to be way to far forward.

Salamoniesunsetsig5.png

8,325th to 99 Firemaking 3/9/08 | 44,811th to 99 Cooking 7/16/08

4,968th to 99 Farming 10/9/09 | Runescaper August 2005-March 2010

Tip.it Mod Feb. 2008-Sep. 2008 | Tip.it Crew Sep. 2008-Nov. 2009

Hm. Strange, looks like a...oh wait, it's been said.

But there don't appear t be proper wings....

whalenuke.png

Command the Murderous Chalices! Drink ye harpooners! drink and swear, ye men that man the deathful whaleboat's bow- Death to Moby Dick!

BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE!

angel2w.gif

The front isn't topheavy. The reason that the tail fuselage is so long is to compensate for the weight in the front. Believe it or not that's actually pretty good looking for a German design in the late war and stranger things actually flew.

Untitled.png

My heart is broken by the terrible loss I have sustained in my old friends and companions and my poor soldiers. Believe me, nothing except a battle lost can be half so melancholy as a battle won. -Sir Arthur Wellesley

Oooooh very cool! I collect German artifacts, but I don't do the Third Reich because I mostly collect flags and well, can't have Nazi flags lol. I have lots of flags from the DDR that are as large as 4x10 feet (and other 4x6 flags from other communist countries (although all manufactured in DDR and some have wholes or are dirty)), and I have a flag of the FDJ, and flags of the BR (well, it's the same as today's flag, but the flags say "West Germany" on them), and I have an East Prussian flag, and the Kaiserreich war ensign. I would like other Prussia flags (West and the Empire), and a German Empire flag, the tricolour.

Just for kicks, I may model the plane sometime this weekend so I can fly it in my flight sim and see if the design would have actually worked. :P

Salamoniesunsetsig5.png

8,325th to 99 Firemaking 3/9/08 | 44,811th to 99 Cooking 7/16/08

4,968th to 99 Farming 10/9/09 | Runescaper August 2005-March 2010

Tip.it Mod Feb. 2008-Sep. 2008 | Tip.it Crew Sep. 2008-Nov. 2009

Ha, the thing probably wouldn't even fly. The center of gravity looks to be way to far forward.

i don't think it was designed to fly. it was designed to fall out of the shy at huge speeds with huge amounts of explosives on board, to destroy huge targets.

That doesn't look particularly aerodynamic, more important, how does it take off?

it would be attached to a 'Mother ship' which would drop it when over or near the target, and it would then be flown straight into it, which also solves the problem of how to land it. (it wouldn't exist to land)

I bolded the main bits

HITLER'S SECRET AIR WEAPON:

An interesting, extremely rare set of original designs for a German Third Reich aircraft featuring a bomb. The five different detailed pencil drawings, with ink annotations, by an unknown engineer, are on two sides of a 4to sheet of graph paper, n.p., n.d., and depict a last ditch glider bomber designed to be mass produced for one-off missions against Naval targets. Also included is a further drawing showing the proposed course of flight by the glider. The drawings show that the mother ship, based on a late variant of the Ju 88, released the piloted glider, equipped with a 1000 kilo bomb, which, using the tungsten cored flying principle of a pub dart dived on its target at speeds in excess of 700 mph. The aircraft is also equipped with a balloon which would have been released simultaneously with the bomb and, taking some time to inflate, would produce a slowly enlarging drag inducer to keep the glider under some form of control whilst the pilot attempted to escape. These drawings were removed from the Reichs Chancellery in Berlin in July 1945 by Richard Rex who had been sent to Germany to help establish a medical dispensary for use during The Potsdam Conference. Accompanied by a detailed letter of authenticity signed by Rex and witnessed by a Notary Public. Also included is a letter from Terry Gander, an expert in German aviation of World War II, explaining that he has never seen anything like the glider previously and continuing to offer his interpretation of how the aircraft would have flown and been manufactured. A unique set of drawings illustrating one of Hitler's secret air weapons that may have changed the course of history and helped him win World War II. File holes to left edges, causing small areas of paper loss although not affecting the drawings and annotations.

These plans were made in 1945?

That be why they lost the War. Well, not the only reason obviously, but one reason.

I doubt it. Would it really have won them Stalingrad? The Battle of the Atlantic? The Mediterranean campaign?

It just looks like a super version of the V2 attacks, and as we all know, they really didn't do anything either except a slight shock in morale of complacent Londoners.

Thats true. It really looks like the V1/v2 combined, and logically designing a new one is the next step to improving on it.

polvCwJ.gif
"It's not a rest for me, it's a rest for the weights." - Dom Mazzetti

Oooooh very cool! I collect German artifacts, but I don't do the Third Reich because I mostly collect flags and well, can't have Nazi flags lol. I have lots of flags from the DDR that are as large as 4x10 feet (and other 4x6 flags from other communist countries (although all manufactured in DDR and some have wholes or are dirty)), and I have a flag of the FDJ, and flags of the BR (well, it's the same as today's flag, but the flags say "West Germany" on them), and I have an East Prussian flag, and the Kaiserreich war ensign. I would like other Prussia flags (West and the Empire), and a German Empire flag, the tricolour.

A neighbour of mine fought in WW2 and stole a Nazi flag, which he still has to this day. I haven't seen it, though.

It would be really interesting to see whether this thing would actually work. Even though it doesn't 'fly' as such, the question is whether the balloon would work for long enough for the guy to keep reasonable control and get out.

~ W ~

sigzi.png