Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince (SPOILERS WITHIN)

Greatsilverwyrm

Guest GhostRanger

The only question this book raises for me is what was Malfoy doing in becoming Moaning Myrtles friend. Other then that, I'm pretty pleased with the book.

I think it was because he had mixed feelings about killing Dumbledore. In fact, I'm pretty sure there's something in the book about it, but since I'm not @ home, I can't quote directly :|

Its not that he had mixed feelings, more that he didn't think he could do it but he knew that if he didn't Voldemort would kill his whole family.

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought it was good but it did seem to lack.. detail, if I can say that. It seemed unnaturally short, even though it wasn't exactly short compared to the first three. Just seemed to be something missing. Am leaning towards saying the 5th is still my favorite.

I too thought the messages Harry kept receiving were extremely odd. It seemed like she had introduced this new method of communication very late. I don't recall random students handing Harry letters in the past five books. For some reason, this really struck me as odd.

I agree with everything except that this is my new favorite HP book.

Playing off and on since July 2001

Everyone is saying "this happened, and that happened" because no one wants to accept the fact that he's gone. Though I suppose anything is possible, I don't think we will be seeing Dumbledore anywhere other than in a memory (pensive, portrait, or otherwise)

Well based on all other books, Dumbledore seemed like much too wise a Wizard to die the way he did. Thats why everyone thinks there is something more to it, in fact, I am sure there is something that we have not yet been told.

signaturecj5.jpg

:? I really dont see why others can accept the death of Dumbledor. Sure, to me he was the greatest book character ever, but the story is about Harry. And i feel that if the story continued as it did with Dumbledor, it would turn out to be mostly about him because he woul probably be the one to find all the soul parts (cant remember how to spell the word).

Edit-fixed some spelling... need to perfect my spell cheack spell..

-Also i was thinking, if the movies of this is ever made, it will definitly be not for the younger crowed, id say 16A.

mergedliongr0xe9.gif

Sig by Ikurai

Your Guide to Posting! Behave or I will send my Moose mounted Beaver launchers at you!

Hey, I just finished the book due to the fact tha to had to share :evil: and work and stuff. I'm not going to read all the pages of this topic so sue me if i bring something that's already been brought up.

So sad Dumbledore died...

Do we really think Harry isn't going to go to Hogwarts next year? I just find it odd that she'd have a book where Harry, Ron, and Hermione did the LOTR thing..

Ron: We found the Horcrux!

Harry: I must hold it, it's my burden.

Hermione: But you've gone through so much.

Harry: Give it to me!

Ron: But, Harry, maybe I could just carry it for a little.

Harry: No! You want it all for yourself. My precious...

:lol:

Guest GhostRanger
Hey, I just finished the book due to the fact tha to had to share :evil: and work and stuff. I'm not going to read all the pages of this topic so sue me if i bring something that's already been brought up.

So sad Dumbledore died...

Do we really think Harry isn't going to go to Hogwarts next year? I just find it odd that she'd have a book where Harry, Ron, and Hermione did the LOTR thing..

Ron: We found the Horcrux!

Harry: I must hold it, it's my burden.

Hermione: But you've gone through so much.

Harry: Give it to me!

Ron: But, Harry, maybe I could just carry it for a little.

Harry: No! You want it all for yourself. My precious...

No I don't believe that's what will happen. That's what is being led to happen so I think it will obviously change.

The fact that RAB already found at least one of the Horcruxes will have a lot to do with whether or not Harry has to find the rest by himself I think.

I'm getting a suspicion that in the end harry wont be the one that kills voldemort or if so not in a fight....

Snape kicked his [wagon] in the last fight and hes supposed to be way weaker than voldemort....

And in one of the meetings with dumbledore he told that he might not actually have to do anything himself to bring about the fulfillment of the prophecy....

sig16xk.jpg

Superknight/Blademaster: Level 150; Hps: 132

Theoretical damage per round: 234

Highest recorded damage in one round: 104

I'm getting a suspicion that in the end harry wont be the one that kills voldemort or if so not in a fight....

Snape kicked his wagon in the last fight and hes supposed to be way weaker than voldemort....

Argh! The whole point of the series is that Harry does have the ability to defeat Voldemort.

That is so harsh, yet pretty funny. Thank God no one did that to me.

Goals to get my skills back up to a barely respectable level on the high scores:

mayjest.png

Currently going for Bone to Peaches spell. It's amazing how boring doing the same repetitive task is! Stupid MTA

http://pottercrash.ytmnd.com/

Says I need a plugin and I'm too lazy to get it. What happens?

:lol: Its a weird backround, then this guys comes on and is like "hey snape kills dumbledor!" And some girl says "noooo you [bleep], you [bleep]!

mergedliongr0xe9.gif

Sig by Ikurai

Your Guide to Posting! Behave or I will send my Moose mounted Beaver launchers at you!

no one knows if dumbledore is actually dead. He's a very tricky person, so I wouldn't assume it. He could come back in the 7th book :P (*crosses fingers*)

Yessssss.... Dumbledore the Gray -> Dumbledore the White.

:P

That made me laugh.

Hmm it seems that many like Dumbledor, but no one posts reason. So along with your normal post, say why you like him!(i would start a new topic but it would probably get locked)

I like Dumbledor because he is much like Gandalf. But there is a big diffrence. Sure they are both wizards, but Dumbledor has alot more of a human feeling, and i think it is even more amazing he can think like this and be right mors then 3/4 of the time. Gandalf on the other hand seems to know about everything he is doing, and seems to be a guide that know whats gonna happen.

Even though i thought Dumbledor was a very good character, i still think he is dead, not coming back....

Then again, like him... i can be wrong to great porportions!

mergedliongr0xe9.gif

Sig by Ikurai

http://pottercrash.ytmnd.com/

Says I need a plugin and I'm too lazy to get it. What happens?

Well the night the book came out people from Europe were posting spoilers [i posted a pic in pag one of this thread taken by someone from Europe] and this guy saw it and decided to drive past a huge line of people waiting outside the bookstore and yell out "HEY... SNAPE KILLS DUMBLEDORE!" and they freak out over it :lol:

PS. Dumbledore is going to pull an Obi-Wan Kenobi in the next book and be a spiritual guide of sorts 8)

I know the price. I pay it gladly.

PS. Dumbledore is going to pull an Obi-Wan Kenobi in the next book and be a spiritual guide of sorts 8)

Actuly i doubt spiritual, but it just came to me, he could be a pictorial guid :lol: . He has that picture in the headmasters room.

mergedliongr0xe9.gif

Sig by Ikurai

Just finished it. Pretty good book I must say. My thoughts:

- Why doesn't Harry date Hermoine? In the movies she's a lot hotter then Ginny :/

- Harry dumping Ginny = Total rip off from Spider Man "My enimies can't know I love you"

- How can Snape be the half blood prince when he was in James's grade and Lupin said the date on the book showed it was much older then James? :?

- Harry wasn't the brightest, when he's chasing Snape/Malfoy he runs into the HugglePuff dormatory and see's several wizards equally as capable as himself/Ginny/Ron. They ask him whats going on and he runs past them. HELLO!! How hard would it be to say "Hey guys, anyone who has a wand follow me; someone who doesnt have a wand handy run into the common room and get some 7th years tell them to get there buts outside! NOW!. "

Alone, Harry runs after 4 Wizards strong enouph to take on people as powerful and experianced as McGonagall and Lupin. Instead he could ahve had 20 or so other people of his age and skill with him. Sure they might be 10 seconds slower then if just Harry ran but if you had 20 kids shooting hexes at 4 people... you're bound to hit them. Instead Harry goes alone and gets the crap beat out of him, lol.

2003676992682512083_rs.jpg

- Why doesn't Harry date Hermoine? In the movies she's a lot hotter then Ginny :/

- Harry dumping Ginny = Total rip off from Spider Man "My enimies can't know I love you"

- How can Snape be the half blood prince when he was in James's grade and Lupin said the date on the book showed it was much older then James? :?

- Harry wasn't the brightest, when he's chasing Snape/Malfoy he runs into the HugglePuff dormatory and see's several wizards equally as capable as himself/Ginny/Ron. They ask him whats going on and he runs past them. HELLO!! How hard would it be to say "Hey guys, anyone who has a wand follow me; someone who doesnt have a wand handy run into the common room and get some 7th years tell them to get there buts outside! NOW!. "

Alone, Harry runs after 4 Wizards strong enouph to take on people as powerful and experianced as McGonagall and Lupin. Instead he could ahve had 20 or so other people of his age and skill with him. Sure they might be 10 seconds slower then if just Harry ran but if you had 20 kids shooting hexes at 4 people... you're bound to hit them. Instead Harry goes alone and gets the crap beat out of him, lol.

-well its already known that Hermoine has a thing with Ron, and also this is in the year 6, So Ginney might be hotter (forgot what she looked like... might watch a movie again just to see, lol)

-Well i doubt its a rip off cause i bet thats been used before spiderman. And i could see what he is doing as logical, cause it shows he cares.

-Perhaps that was a text book that was old too? Also it could of been Snape's mother's, and that could be it.

-This should seem really obviouse. He cares about the school. Why would he endanger the life of others when its not needed? Also slow shim down, and he is enraged from the death of Dumbledor.

mergedliongr0xe9.gif

Sig by Ikurai

Uh, first of all, who cares what she looks like in the movie? Second, Hermione is obviously going to end up with Ron.

Been used before Spiderman, too, and it's not like it's such an original idea that it has to be ripped-off somone..

It was mentioned towards the end that the book belonged first to Snape's mother who then gave it to him.

That wouldn't have fit well with the plot now, would it have?

Plus that could have caused some serious delays..

Also.. I don't remember him going into the Hufflepuff common room.. He ran through the entrance hall where he walked by several Hufflepuffs, but..

IRKAa.jpg

The actress playing ginny is not going be near hot enough to keep playing her. I know that sounds shallow, but when she's supposed to be so popular and gets so many boys in this book they're going to need a new person. Otherwise, Hermione will be a lot hotter like she is now and it won't work.

But seriously, if you look at Hermione outside of the movies all dressed up :shock:

How can Snape be the half blood prince when he was in James's grade and Lupin said the date on the book showed it was much older then James? :? I"d like to know that too.

And I'm sad no one laughed at my joke dialogue about the LOTR thing a page back :cry:

Well he obivously didn't go in the Hugglepuff common room but he said he ran past a hallways with painting and suddenly there were 2 or 3 kids in pajamas looking like they just woke up. Obviously they were close to there dorm, meaning they were probably within shouting distance.

And yes it's obvious that Hermione is going to end up with Ron but why's that? How come Harry never really went for her? She only went for Ron because he's there and single whilst Harry is clearly showing no intrest. And it's not like Harry wants to stay single either from the looks of it. I know if I was in his position I wouldn't have waited more then a year :wink:

Which brings me to my next point. People say that everyone will, at some point in there life, read a book/watch a movie that the find interesting. Not just interesting, but the like the story line and the plot so much that if they were given the choice: "Keep on living life like normal" or "Leave this life, never see your current friends/family again and live in the world you just read/watched" they would instantly pick the latter. It's a rare feeling that most people really onle feel once. Previously common stories were "Star Wars", "King Arthur", "Spirited Away", or "Lord of the Rings".

Question: How many of you would choose the latter of the two choices if right now they were offered to you. My guess is 90+%.... A poll would be nice, but simply posting would do.

Personally, I would have to choose the latter.

2003676992682512083_rs.jpg

Well he obivously didn't go in the Hugglepuff common room but he said he ran past a hallways with painting and suddenly there were 2 or 3 kids in pajamas looking like they just woke up. Obviously they were close to there dorm, meaning they were probably within shouting distance.

And yes it's obvious that Hermione is going to end up with Ron but why's that? How come Harry never really went for her? She only went for Ron because he's there and single whilst Harry is clearly showing no intrest. And it's not like Harry wants to stay single either from the looks of it. I know if I was in his position I wouldn't have waited more then a year :wink:

Which brings me to my next point. People say that everyone will, at some point in there life, read a book/watch a movie that the find interesting. Not just interesting, but the like the story line and the plot so much that if they were given the choice: "Keep on living life like normal" or "Leave this life, never see your current friends/family again and live in the world you just read/watched" they would instantly pick the latter. It's a rare feeling that most people really onle feel once. Previously common stories were "Star Wars", "King Arthur", "Spirited Away", or "Lord of the Rings".

Question: How many of you would choose the latter of the two choices if right now they were offered to you. My guess is 90+%.... A poll would be nice, but simply posting would do.

Personally, I would have to choose the latter.

I'd become part of the Harry Potter world in a heartbeat. Not even that long. I'd love magic. I mean school has a purpose here, but it's so different in that world. Everything you learn can be used in the real world. Not to mention you will be able to defend yourself.

Plus, there's no talk of aids or cancer in their world. No std's either :wink: :D

And no one has lauged at my lotr joke still :( (couple pages back)

http://www.mugglenet.com

Very nice site for Harry Potter info!

Anyways, Harry and Hermione are not gonna date. They are best friends and thats not gonna change. Sometimes people are just meant to friends and nothing more. I do believe that if Harry lives in book 7 (which I do think there is a chance he will die) then he will end up back with Ginny, since the threat of Voldemort will be gone and he wont have to worry about losing her.

Another thing is that everyone is accusing Snape of being a traitor, but after thinking about it for a while and reading some stuff on MuggleNet, it might not be so.

Lets say Snape IS an insider for the Order of the Phoenix and is spying on Voldemort for them. Well, if the Death Eaters/Voldemort are doubting his trustworthiness, what would be the one thing that would remove all doubt? Kill the person they think he is allied with: Dumbledore! Dumbledore realizes this and expects it. He chooses to lose his life, rather than to lose someone that can spy on Voldemort and report the findings back to the Order which would be very helpful.

Some of my views on things =)

supdarklinkel1.jpg