Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince (SPOILERS WITHIN)

Greatsilverwyrm

Well thought-out post mayjest...

Oooo, Sirius' little brother! Never thought of that! I thought he was confirmed dead though?

could be...after all, look at petey pedigrew, confirmed dead is nothing

Either way I don't see how it matters. The note says, "I know I will be dead long before you read this" so him being dead fits perfectly.

they also said he wasn't important enough to be killed by voldemort himself so theres a chances hes alive :evil:

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I loved that book. It took me about 8 hours to read it, I bought i at about 3pm, read till 10pm, watched Kill Bill again, then read 'till 1am. When i found out Dumbledore died, i swore at the book and my mam came in and shouted...

And the Half Blood Prince is Snape?!?!!? I suppose that makes sense, but i thought it would be some cool old guy.

For anyone who hasn't read it and wants spoilers:

Dumbledore asks Harry to take private lessons with him, to learn about Voldemort's past. Dumbledore had loads of memories from other people in the pensieve and showed them to him. We found out that Tom Riddle as a child knew how to control his magic and used it to hurt people if he wanted to. Then that Merope, Voldemorts mother had used a love spell on his father, and when the spell was taken off him he deserted her, so Voldemort killed him, which is the story at the start of the Goblet of Fire. Dumbledore has a memory of the new DatDA teacher talking to Tom Riddle who asks about Horcruxes...but (goes to find book to remember his name) Slughorn had altered the memory himself. Harry got Dumbledore the original memory, and found out a Horcrux is when you split your soul so you don't die when you are killed. Tom decided to split his soul into 7, and so when Dumbledore dies, Harry decides that in his 7th year he is going to visit Godrics Hollow, and then go to find the rest of the Horcruxes.

pixelsigwg5.png

Well thought-out post mayjest...

Oooo, Sirius' little brother! Never thought of that! I thought he was confirmed dead though?

could be...after all, look at petey pedigrew, confirmed dead is nothing

Either way I don't see how it matters. The note says, "I know I will be dead long before you read this" so him being dead fits perfectly.

they also said he wasn't important enough to be killed by voldemort himself so theres a chances hes alive :evil:

Either way, he had the Third Horcrux, so H/R/Hr need to find him, or some record that says what he did with it. And even a comfirmed kill can come back in some form, be it a paper trail, or a portrait, or even a ghost. How odd would it be if RAB turned out to be Peeves or the Bloody Baron?

I also wonder who Harry's gonna confide in. I mean, he has Ron and Hermione, but even through the past 6 years, he's had people he can talk to about stuff he's had to hide from them (like the beginning of book 5). If those three are striking out on their own, then R/Hr are gonna learn a lot more about Harry than they have before, and are gonna be more at risk. I still think he will have someone 'left behind' who he can talk to. Personally, I'm betting on Lupin or Mr Weasley.

I also wonder about the structure of the next book. This one was unique in that it had 2 chapters that weren't Harry's point of view - one was the PM, and one was Spinners End, which seemed to be from Bellatrix's POV, though it could have been Snape's or Narcissas. Or none. But If H/R/Hr do leave Hogwarts, then we're still gonna need to learn what happens there. I just wonder who's POV it will be. I'm betting a split between McGonagall and Ginny. McGonagall because then we still get a glimpse of Dumbledore (via his portrait), so she can learn about the Horcrux's and H/R/Hr's plan. Ginny because... there's barely anyone left that's close to the Order inside Hogwarts, so it's gotta be here. Plus, we need to see how much she misses Harry (see below). I reckon we might get a 'His Dark Material's' type ending - love is the mechanism that saved the world(s) there. We know that Harry's power is love, so I think his love for Ginny (and Hr/R, coz I reckon they'll be captured) will give him the power to kill Voldy.

And H/G ain't over yet. There's still Fleur and Bills wedding, so he can't avoid her there. I reckon she's gonna go up to him and force him to go out with her again. The Death Eaters (Malfoy) and hence Voldemort know that he likes her, and that will be used against Harry whether Ginny is his official girlfriend or not. So I reckon they'll go out again because it won't make much difference anyway. Although my friend thinks it will be Ron that does the actual persuading, because he can see how much he misses her.

From here on, little basis on books, just what I think will happen.

I'm thinking that H/R/Hr hunt down and destroy all the Horcux except one. We learn how the war is going on (not well, expect to see a lot more dead. I reckon we'll lose Percy Weasley, Fudge, and probably another teacher. Not McGonagall, but expect Ravenclaw to be missing a Head of House) through McGonagall and Ginny. Hagrid will be the new head of Griffindor, simply because there isn't really any teacher that we know well left.

H/R/Hr will find Bellatrix during their hunt for the Horcrux, who will tell them of the unbreakable vow. He will realise that Snape may not be all bad, but he still cannot trust him. Bellatrix will try to kill Harry, but the spell will just bounce off him and Kill her instead. I think the Prophesy means that Harry can only die by Voldy's hand, and Voldy can only die by Harrys hand. Unless he is fighting Voldy, Harry is pretty much invincible. He can be weakened, but he cannot die unless by Voldy's hand. Not sure if that bit counts, but I'd like it to be. Also, remember that bit I meantioned about 'Dumbledore's gleam of triumph', and one person said it might be that having Harry's blood and Lilly's protection might backfire upon voldemort? That might come into play soon.

There will be two 'climaxs' to the book. H/R/Hr will go for the last Horcrux on the same night as the Death Eaters attack the MoM and Hogwarts. The Ministry will fall, Hogwarts will barely survive. The remainder of Voldy's opposition will travel into Hogwarts, which will cease to be a school, and is now a base of opperations for an army. Ginny and several students will get captured. Because H/R/Hr have gone to find the Horcrux, they will have seemingly dissapeared to the wizarding world. The world will lament the loss of the 'chosen one' and will believe all hope is lost.

Meanwhile, H/R/Hr have gone after the last Horcrux. Voldemort is there, having realised what is going on. Possibly accompanied by Malfoy. The rest of the Death Eaters are attacking Hogwarts or the MoM (remember, this all happens on the same night). Right after the 3 get the Horcrux, Voldy shows himself, and H/V duel, while R/Hr keep Malfoy off him. Malfoy gets defeated, but not dead. Voldemort is pinned, as the wands don't work properly against each other, and with 3 wizards against him in an enclosed space he is steadily being worn down. Eventually, in desperation, he touches Malfoy's Mark, which call all the Death Eaters to him (which saves Hogwarts, but too late to save the MoM). Voldy scarpers. R/Hr are stunned by the Death Eaters. Harry can't be killed, but he's certainly weakened. Eventually he has to apparate out, leaving R/Hr behind. Gets to Hogwarts, is patched up by Madam Pomphrey (who can survive anything), finds out what's happened in the wizarding world.

Do you see where the two/three different perspectives come in? The two battles are going on at the same time, so we cut between them.

So Ginny, Ron and Hermione, plus a few other students (people like Colin Creevey and such) have been captured, simply to lure Harry in. In he goes, except the Order won't let him go alone. This is the counter attack. Backed up by an army of wizards, Harry eventually breaks through, and has a final showdown with voldemort. They deul, blah blah blah, JKR can work out how that works. Harry wins but is severly weakened (possible clash of blood, involving Lilly's protection here). The left overs of the Order come through (severly reduced, the Death Eaters took their toll). They've won, the world is saved, H/G R/Hr and Tonks/Lupin can get married, but there'll inevitably be some kind of twist that changes Harry. I think he'll be haunted by Voldemort. While most people choose to move on, Voldemort is afraid of death, so comes back as a ghost, and decides to haunt Harry til he dies. That last bit can be in the epilogue, some kind of 'to be continued.... but it won't be' kind of thing.

So yes, that's how I think book 7 will happen. I will be almost undoubtedly wrong. As my copy of book 6 is now being read by someone else, I can't read it again to glean some information, such as my spot about dumbledore in book 4. Ah well.

And mugglenet has to re open! I couldn't give a damn about their forums, but the editorials are necessary!

And thanks for the comment about my previous post :lol: Hopefully this one was as good. Took me long enough to write anyway.

Goals to get my skills back up to a barely respectable level on the high scores:

mayjest.png

Currently going for Bone to Peaches spell. It's amazing how boring doing the same repetitive task is! Stupid MTA

omg snape you backstabber, noob. gaaaaa. just finished.

CANE

Just to be different.

Think about it. A freaking Dragon Cane with a Dragonstone gem.

The spec will simply your character equiping a glove and beachslapping the enemy, who will break down and do the Cry emote for 10 seconds straight.

Guest GhostRanger
blah blah blah, JKR can work out how that works.

For all our sakes, I hope she does that for the whole story. Although yours fits into the plot, it seems way too predictable to be in a Harry Potter book.

I'm also waiting to find out way Dumbledore trusted Snape. Rowling said we would find that ou.

Harry and ron get married

Yeah that would work :P I assume that you haven't read it and have recently decided to be anti-HP, like me. I only bothered reading this to see what happened and I didn't really find out... well, I did a bit. And I know what it means a bit since I read the other 5.

ANYWAY I'm overthrowing HP. Huzzah! Discworld p0wnzorz all other books anyway.

* she needs to stop killing off my favorite chars...... :evil: god that was a depressing book.

Ya Sirius was my favorite... He died in the 5th one

Dumbledore was my second favorite... He dies in the 6th one..

I think J.K. Rowling hates me.

Hope it isn't Lupin next

Nice sunman, my familly got two books, one for me and one for my sister.

But anyways, I just finished the book like two hours ago (finally got a chance to come onto tip.it... I was away last week and didn't come on here because I knew I would be tempted to look at spoilers :roll: ) So...

Yeah, I was prety sad that dumbledore died but I pretty much figured that he would before I read the book... and the the time at the end pretty much summed up my reasoning for suspecting it; harry no longer having protection from voldomort and now on his own (like what happens in most books.)

And yeah I was prety surprised about snape doing it, but was guessing that he might do something like that from the first two chapters. I mean, here he was talking openly about him supplying information to the order and all. Anyways, if he is a skilled enough oclumens to keep information away from voldemort, the master of parsimen, he must have been able to do it back to dumby.

Also, about harry having lily's blood to protect him, I just want to clarify something. It protects him from all fatl harm done to him except for voldemort because he now has some of it in him from becoming a man again (until harry comes of age.) Right? The idea that mayjest said (which was over all pretty good) kind of confused me about this.

Finally, I'm almost positive that harry will look for the other horcuxes with ron and hermione but I don't really know if I believe that he will stay away from school. I have this feeling that somehow the DA will come into this again and come to harry's support when he most needs the. However, I am positive that harry will fight voldy alone.

Finally (I know I already said this,) mabey harry's greatest weapon, love, will somehow save his life. I'm thinking that harry might fight voldy and win but not kill him. And if harry had killed voldy, harry would die because voldy made an inferi drink polyjusice potion to look like voldy and then curse him so that whoever killed the inferi would die. But, because harry loves he won't kill him and somehow voldy's plan will back fire on him and he will be weakend, lose his mind, or die. Whatever happens, I have a feeling that love will somehow save harry and will be a major focus of the seventh book. Lastly, harry might be able to solve his problem with oclumens by just thinking about love whenever voldy tries to read his mind.

So yeah, theres my two cents (for now anyways.) I would probably make this book tied for second with number five, and my favorite remaining number 3.

And about R.A.B. I don't know but I'm thinking i might be a nickname of someone, mabey someone that voldy new personally, but was more powerful than Serius's brother... mabey an old childhood friend or enemy.

PDM

PDM

Guest GhostRanger
Nice sunman, my familly got two books, one for me and one for my sister.

But anyways, I just finished the book like two hours ago (finally got a chance to come onto tip.it... I was away last week and didn't come on here because I knew I would be tempted to look at spoilers :roll: ) So...

Yeah, I was prety sad that dumbledore died but I pretty much figured that he would before I read the book... and the the time at the end pretty much summed up my reasoning for suspecting it; harry no longer having protection from voldomort and now on his own (like what happens in most books.)

And yeah I was prety surprised about snape doing it, but was guessing that he might do something like that from the first two chapters. I mean, here he was talking openly about him supplying information to the order and all. Anyways, if he is a skilled enough oclumens to keep information away from voldemort, the master of parsimen, he must have been able to do it back to dumby.

Also, about harry having lily's blood to protect him, I just want to clarify something. It protects him from all fatl harm done to him except for voldemort because he now has some of it in him from becoming a man again (until harry comes of age.) Right? The idea that mayjest said (which was over all pretty good) kind of confused me about this.

Finally, I'm almost positive that harry will look for the other horcuxes with ron and hermione but I don't really know if I believe that he will stay away from school. I have this feeling that somehow the DA will come into this again and come to harry's support when he most needs the. However, I am positive that harry will fight voldy alone.

Finally (I know I already said this,) mabey harry's greatest weapon, love, will somehow save his life. I'm thinking that harry might fight voldy and win but not kill him. And if harry had killed voldy, harry would die because voldy made an inferi drink polyjusice potion to look like voldy and then curse him so that whoever killed the inferi would die. But, because harry loves he won't kill him and somehow voldy's plan will back fire on him and he will be weakend, lose his mind, or die. Whatever happens, I have a feeling that love will somehow save harry and will be a major focus of the seventh book. Lastly, harry might be able to solve his problem with oclumens by just thinking about love whenever voldy tries to read his mind.

So yeah, theres my two cents (for now anyways.) I would probably make this book tied for second with number five, and my favorite remaining number 3.

And about R.A.B. I don't know but I'm thinking i might be a nickname of someone, mabey someone that voldy new personally, but was more powerful than Serius's brother... mabey an old childhood friend or enemy.

PDM

Love will obviously be the key focus of Harry being able to trump Voldemort. Dumbledore said its Harry's power over him in the first book and reiterated it A LOT in this book.

I don't think that Harry will have to find all the Horcruxes. I believe he will find RAB and RAB will have found them. My reasoning is that Dumbledore was the only one who really knew enough about Voldemort to find all those and he's gone. JK had another plan for that part - PLUS, that's way too predictable.

* she needs to stop killing off my favorite chars...... :evil: god that was a depressing book.

Ya Sirius was my favorite... He died in the 5th one

Dumbledore was my second favorite... He dies in the 6th one..

I think J.K. Rowling hates me.

Hope it isn't Lupin next

Man I have to agree with you guys. I need to go play a violent game to get the depressedness out of my system :evil:

on a side note, does anyone else realize that she just destroyed teh entire structure of the series? I mean it was always one year at Hogwarts for one book. The next one (AND IT HAD BETTER COME OUT SOON) could be over the course of many years, although she'll probably try and put Harry back in Hogwarts for some strange reason.

no one knows if dumbledore is actually dead. He's a very tricky person, so I wouldn't assume it. He could come back in the 7th book :P (*crosses fingers*)

Yessssss.... Dumbledore the Gray -> Dumbledore the White.

:P

Im only half way done.

Things I have noticed:

(not actual quotes btw...)

"Oh, another dead person. How awful... Anyways you were saying?"

They don't seem to care as much...

"Hey Harry I have a message for you."

"Hey Harry I have another message for you."

"Hey Harry, The owls are on strike so I was sent to give this message to you."

"Hey Harry guess what! I have another message!"

I see alot of wasted paper...

Harry: "Malfoy is a death eater!"

Everyone: "No he isnt you silly goose."

Harry: "He's a death eater!"

Everyone: "Sure buddy, we'll check on him then."

Harry: "Thats not good enough! I must snoop!"

Everyone: "Shut up Harry!"

Harry: "But im telling you he's a death eater!"

Everyone: "Have you heard about the guy who cried wolf?"

Harry: "Yea! He was a death eater too!"

The whole "I told you so" skit is getting old...

Other things...

It seems Harry likes under-aged girls. Im talking about Ginny...

There are very few references to "candy" in the novel now.

The author isnt as secretive as before. Parts of the plot are obvious.

There seems to be more flashbacks than usual.

The author doesnt give background information about characters, settings and the various other magical things anymore...

Its like she's saying, "OMG you should know by now! Stupid 12 year olds..."

Being the second last book, I thought it was rather slow and boring...

The explanations are short and vague. Nothing much happened. The book is not that thick and it took half the pages just to pick up!

All in all, it has lost the "Hmm, I cant seem to put this book down! I must read on!"

I only manage to finish half the book.

What ive said might still be proven wrong though.

The Enrichment Center reminds you that the weighted companion cube will never threaten to stab you and, in fact, cannot speak.

In the event that the weighted companion cube does speak, the Enrichment Center urges you to disregard its advice.

I thought it was good but it did seem to lack.. detail, if I can say that. It seemed unnaturally short, even though it wasn't exactly short compared to the first three. Just seemed to be something missing. Am leaning towards saying the 5th is still my favorite.

I too thought the messages Harry kept receiving were extremely odd. It seemed like she had introduced this new method of communication very late. I don't recall random students handing Harry letters in the past five books. For some reason, this really struck me as odd.

sithbridgeay2.jpg

blah blah blah, JKR can work out how that works.

I'm also waiting to find out way Dumbledore trusted Snape. Rowling said we would find that ou.

My prediction is that Dumbledore knew that Snape loved. We know how powerful Dumbledore believes love is. So, who was it, you might ask, who Snape was so in love with? Lily Potter, of course :D Enter lots of rivalry with james, her future husband... etc :D

As for how the book will end... well, I happen to think Harry himself might be a Horcrux, and maybe Harry will have to kill himself in order to destroy Voldemort... but erm... yeah...

Everybody hug and spread the love :D

siggypooro0.jpg

Guest GhostRanger
Im only half way done.

Things I have noticed:

People can get hardened by death. Its a perfectly natural transition.

Umm...how else were we suppose to know how Harry got his messages from Dumbledore?

It helps build Harry's character and show that he is developing in ways the others aren't. Preparing to fight Voldemort.

Other things...

Ginny is one year younger than Harry. Guys gnerally date down. There's nothing awkward or "under-age" about Ginny.

The author doesnt give background information about characters, settings and the various other magical things anymore...

Well they should shouldn't they? If they've read 5 books so far than they should already know whats going on.

14 books in Vancouver (Canada) were sold by mistake a week early. Apparently, the people who got the book early had to sign a confidentiality agreement not to reveal any of the plot before the actual release of the book comes :shock:

My buddy got a copy, as I live 5 minute from the store that sold them by mistake :o

This is two Harry Potter books in a row now that the end has been told to me by freinds before I start reading it. It's starting to tick me off :evil:

Im only half way done.

Things I have noticed:

Doesnt sound right, especially if its a one book leap like that.

Umm...how else were we suppose to know how Harry got his messages from Dumbledore?

Wasn't just dumbledore...

It helps build Harry's character and show that he is developing in ways the others aren't. Preparing to fight Voldemort.

Been there done that? If you meant it helps him stay in character, im just saying its getting a bit old... Thats just IMO though.

Other things...

Ginny is one year younger than Harry. Guys gnerally date down. There's nothing awkward or "under-age" about Ginny.

Didn't she had a crush on her? Now its the opposite it seems, IDK.

Well they should shouldn't they? If they've read 5 books so far than they should already know whats going on.

Well what about those people who are new to this?

I mean in the past books the author often goes out of the way to explain stuff even though they appeared in a previous story.

I dont know, it just seems that her way of telling the story has changed somehow... Like its doesnt sound the same. I liked her way of narrating in the previous books...

Look, I just gave my observations... :(

The Enrichment Center reminds you that the weighted companion cube will never threaten to stab you and, in fact, cannot speak.

In the event that the weighted companion cube does speak, the Enrichment Center urges you to disregard its advice.

Im only half way done.

Things I have noticed:

Doesnt sound right, especially if its a one book leap like that.

Wasn't just dumbledore...

Been there done that? If you meant it helps him stay in character, im just saying its getting a bit old... Thats just IMO though.

Other things...

Didn't she had a crush on her? Now its the opposite it seems, IDK.

Well what about those people who are new to this?

I mean in the past books the author often goes out of the way to explain stuff even though they appeared in a previous story.

I dont know, it just seems that her way of telling the story has changed somehow... Like its doesnt sound the same. I liked her way of narrating in the previous books...

Look, I just gave my observations... :(

Frankly, by book 6, if you don't know whats going on, you never will. She could have made the book 5 times a long, filling in as much detail as possible, but if you haven't read the rest of them, you will never understand.

As for the underage girls quip. They're both 16. She has her birthday during the school year, I think before Christmas (sept - Dec, I think). Harry has his in late July. If he'd have been born a few months later, he'd be in her year group at school. As it is, there's barely 6 months age difference between them. So it's not that bad.

And anyway, wasn't Cho in the year above Harry? Or was she the same on?

Goals to get my skills back up to a barely respectable level on the high scores:

mayjest.png

Currently going for Bone to Peaches spell. It's amazing how boring doing the same repetitive task is! Stupid MTA

A rabid Harry Potter fan took his life yesterday after inadvertently learning a plot spoiler from the soon-to-be-released J.K. Rowling opus, Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (Book 6)

How about this :? . Quote there kinda explains it all, guy commited suicide after overhearing a spoiler at the mall. Here's the article: http://www.yubanet.com/artman/publish/a ... 2620.shtml

phx.jpg

Gamertag: King Arizona

A rabid Harry Potter fan took his life yesterday after inadvertently learning a plot spoiler from the soon-to-be-released J.K. Rowling opus, Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (Book 6)

How about this :? . Quote there kinda explains it all, guy commited suicide after overhearing a spoiler at the mall. Here's the article: http://www.yubanet.com/artman/publish/a ... 2620.shtml

You really need to check your sources better. The guy who wrote the article "writes a daily humor column at http://www.borowitzreport.com". It comes from a comedy website.

And just read the article:

Jude Ralston, 32, of Hudson, Ohio left a suicide note indicating that since overhearing the plot spoiler at a shopping mall earlier in the day, "I no longer have a reason to live."

Family and friends who gathered for a candlelight memorial outside Mr. Ralston's house remembered a man who seemed to live only for Harry Potter ÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ã¢ââ¬Ãâ and wondered if they could have done anything to prevent his tragic fate.

"When Jude got that vanity license plate that said ÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ãâ¹ÃâHogwarts,' that seemed harmless enough," said Polly Clovis, who attended Model U.N. with Mr. Ralston while the two were in high school. "But when he started wearing that wizard hat around town, we really should have seen that as a cry for help."

According to friends of Mr. Ralston, the Potter fanatic had done everything in his power to protect himself from stumbling across Potter plot spoilers, even disconnecting his computer from the Internet and avoiding his favorite vintage comic book store.

Ms. Clovis said that she hoped Mr. Ralston's death would cause federal authorities to tighten the flow of Harry Potter plot information to prevent similar tragedies from taking place.

"In my heart I believe that could have saved Jude's life, even if he didn't have one," she said.

Elsewhere, President Bush called the jailing of a New York Times reporter "a positive step," but warned that many other reporters were still at large.

If you can read that and take it seriously, you have no sense of humour.

Of course, if the guy was real, then he was bit of an idiot. What was he gonna do with his life once he'd finished the book? Sit around in front of the computer for 4 years waiting for the next one? I highly doubt that's real.

mayjest.png

You really need to check your sources better. The guy who wrote the article "writes a daily humor column at http://www.borowitzreport.com". It comes from a comedy website.

If you can read that and take it seriously, you have no sense of humour.

Of course, if the guy was real, then he was bit of an idiot. What was he gonna do with his life once he'd finished the book? Sit around in front of the computer for 4 years waiting for the next one? I highly doubt that's real.

Well, you can consider my post void, perhaps the Bush quote at the end spoils it.

phx.jpg

Gamertag: King Arizona