Tip.It Times Present: Double Feature!

n_odie

Stranger things happen in RS. I have been playing for a little over 3 years now, usually every day. Very close to 92 slayer and almost 2000 levels. I've have my share of drops, to include several drag meds at barrows mostly. Yes the first one excited me, but after that the novelty wore off.

What I really was hoping for was the vaulted drag left half shield. To carry that impressive armor has always been a goal of mine, and while I have plenty of cash, I always wanted to get a "drop", not a purchase.

So earlier today I'm at turoths in the Polly dungeon when lo and behold, my FIRST drag left half!!! No one was around, so I quickly went to the GE, and also the items data base to count my good fortune. Lo and behold, as has been discussed in other threads, the shield drop is really a money loser. You can buy a Drag large for 500k, but to make your own with the drop its 750K. So almost a 250k loss in gp by smithing this incredibly elusive drop. Decided to save it as a memory rather than waste the cash.

So I go back and finish my task that had 40 left. Heck, I got more in value from the 2 clues than the drag left half. Sumona gives me 157 more turoth in back to back tasks - UGH (I really should block them). My 2nd turoth, guess what is the drop is;

---- another drag left half ----

So 2 halves in 42 turoth's. Go figure. Yes, this time I was virtually unmoved, knowing it was about a 66k drop if I alch them. Sort of like cave horrors, over 1k killed and no black mask. Last week got 3 in 40 horrors in 1 task. Oh well, at least I now have 2 halves in the bank and that all things are truly random in RS.

Dragon drops have never failed to surprise me. They are possible drops from a lot of monsters, but none of them has a high drop rate(except boots). So when I kill those monsters I don't expect dragon drops, and when I do get them I feel that I'm very lucky. On the contrary, players can always get god wars/barrows items if they try hard enough, so the feeling of surprise is not there like in the case of dragon drops.

My first dragon drop was a left half. At the time, I didn't realise my luck! Then after a lot of general gameplay and numerous slayer tasks later, and on steel dragons (what a downer - they are always so crowded) my very last one assigned dropped dragon legs!!!! At first, I was so astounded I thought it must surely be a mistake. Then once I picked them up, and tele'd out, I did a little happy dance here all by myself. I had actually lucked out on something!!!! And to think I was cursing having received steel dragons as a slayer task with all that competing for them etc etc etc (I haven't yet received them as a slayer task again, but I will spend the 100 points and ban them if I do - I hate having to compete for them as badly as what it is - jagex please take note and add more steel dragons or put extra ones somewhere long-term players can access them more easily - I know they won't but just in case ha ha). The fact that receiving a decent drop purely on luck still (for me) makes the receiving of a dragon drop a litttle moment of excitement - even after playing for all these years. Do newer players expect better value drops as a matter of course, or is it more of a thrill for those who have played longer-term???

So far in dragon drops I have had:

2 left halfs (both from Fire giants)

3 Spears

1 Med (And about 10 more from GWD, on lootshare)

1/2 a Chain

Never had Skirt, Legs, Visage ect.

I was excited when i got my 1st left half at 90 range at fire giants. The spears and second left half were a massive disapointment, since one spear was from dusties my heart jumped thinking it was a chain >.< then i was gutted to see spear.

I think the excitment was because they were valuable, like getting 3rd age from a clue scroll would make me pee myself :|

But now they are barely worth there alch value..

Touch Me

man_ov_milk.png

To be honest, I really don't care about dragon drops anymore.

The only one I did care about was D meds as I was 129 cmb before I got one, turned out Bandos dropped the first for me, lol.

I guess I'd get excited over a DFH as I've never had that as a drop before, all the rest are kinda "Oh, wow."

[hide=Stuff]2x Visage

102x Boots

97x Axe

12x Med

1x Legs

3x Skirt

6x Spear

3x Chain

7x Left Halves.

... Can't remember what other dragon there is lol.[/hide]

getting 3rd age from a clue scroll would make me pee myself

Me too ;)

Follow me on Twitter!

FORGET NOT THE CHICKEN.

gravy.png

I have no intrest in helping "keyers" farm xp.

I guess I'm always a little skeptical of ppl who claim to have had dozens of dragon drops. I'm combat lvl 134, with 92 slayer and 99's in all melee skills, and I've never had a dragon drop. Most of my higher lvl combat friends, while not as unlucky as me, still say they have only had a few. Maybe when you first create your character, Jagex assigns it a "lucky" or "unlucky", but I've heard so many claims from lvl 80 characters about their myriad dragon drops that I can't help but wonder. Either way, you can bet that if I ever get a d drop, it will feel special. (Unless maybe it's that loser shield left half :-)

I've killed countless monsters that suposedly drop dragon stuff and have only ever got 1 item a skirt. The only good drop I ever got was from a clue scroll and I got a sara platebody. Sold it for 1.7 mil. The luck I have on this game, I could have a charector that is completely invulnerable to any attack and did 1000 points of damage. Take it and fight the KQ for 10 hours a day for 30 straight days and I still wouldn't get the chain drop.

Gonavycv64.png

Gonavycv64.png

262.png

I think the excitement over drops all depends on your wealth. When I got my first ever dragon drop at dust devils (a shield left half, irony ftl) I wasn't excited at all because it was worth next to nothing for me. My second dragon drop was from rex, and so were my next 20 or something :P . The first time I saw a dragon axe on the floor was really exciting as it was also on my first ever DK trip. The other axes and berserker rings also managed to get me thrilled. The same was true for warrior rings because they were still worth something back then. After I quit RS (around the time of GWD) and then came back in november I went DKing again and my zerkers and axes then felt less special. My own net worth was about 10m at the time, so those drops were a nice addition to my bank, but with all of my friends having made 100s of millions the 1.7 for a d axe didn't feel as special any more. When I got a 5m bandos hilt share a couple of weeks later I was a bit more excited, but it was nothing compared to the excitement I used to have when I got my first Barrows drop (Torag helm doubling my total net worth, ~2 years ago). It wasn't until recently that a good drop gave me such an adrenaline rush that I was bouncing all over the room. The sara hilt share of 14.5m that doubled my net worth. How you value a rare drop all depends on your bank value. When I have 5m in my bank a spirit mage task with 2d boots isn't that good, but the same task after spending all but 100k on a dfs feels much better.

Retired

2146 overall - 136 combat - 6 skillcapes

Plus I think the whole teenage girl thing will end soon (hopefully), because my girlfriend is absolutely in love with him(she is 18), and im beginning to feel threatened by his [Justin Bieber] dashing looks.

I've only had one dragon drop(skirt) and it gave me a great feeling. I feel that the feeling would be the same and the author was, as he guessed, just spoiled from his abundance of dragon drops. :D

Pirate Rosetta stone. Learn a language while you scape.

Sounds interesting, but these days how many people really speak Pirate?

5 years of playing, and only managed to get 3 dragon drops, all in the past 2 months.

Dragon plate shard at tormented demons before they got nerfed.

Dragon med helm from pvp trick

Dragon spear from pvp trick

I got pretty excited, to get my first dragon item drops, but I don't consider those drops 'special'. They were either gained unfair or from creatures with a immense drop rate. I am still waiting for my first dragon item from a fire giant or whatever.

Some Dragon drops are still special. Like Dragon Claws at Tormented Demons. And I still think Dragon Boot drops are special even after getting like 124 of them.

Lugia_Lvl138.png

4x Phat owner: Blue, Green, 2x Purple

3100+ GWD bosses soloed.

Solo GWD Drops:

5 Bandos Plates, 4 Bandos Boots, 3 Bandos Hilts, 2 Arma Helms, Arma Skirt, Arma Plate, 3 Arma Hilts, 4 Zammy Spears, Steam Staff, 15 Sara Swords, 6 Sara Hilts, 29 Shards.

I can identify with "that dragon feeling." When I got a left half shield at the giant mole, or when I got TWO d meds at barrows, I just ran arround yelling "W00T@!!!!!@~~!~@" for like ten minutes :lol: . Then I sold them for better dragon items lol :pray:

Indie_Kids.png

"Don't push me; what's the hurry?" - Imogen Heap

I understand DarkDude98's feelings about rare drops. Getting a dragon drop more than once will wear off the excitement. The same goes for getting a dragon drop instead of another rare drop - you feel dissapointed. I got my first dragon spear drop a week or so ago and my first reaction was... :shock: Then I realized that its price is only ~30k. I was still happy to get it, though. <3: But when I get another dragon med drop, I just tell myself "Yay, another 60k." :roll: The excitement dies.

--------------

I really enjoyed reading ForsakenMage's story! <3: Good job! :thumbsup:

Sir_Sibz.png

Sir_Sibz.png

45f0d8e6a6.png

BlogSignature-March11.png

I can actually remember the first time i saw a D-square. They stayed rather rare for a very long time (quite a rare drop and not that many high lvls around at the time). But now a days within 2 weeks of an update new items are the standard, which is just way to fast and really take the specialty out of an item. I have the feeling there are more bandos armours floating around then D chains.

i honestly think u have been spoiled with 43 dragon drops! plus others i would love to have that happen to me and im sure there are other poeple that feel the same way.

In other words: We got a ban hammer in varrock mines. It's jackin yo [censor] bots, slappin yo macros up, tryna ban em, so ya'll need to hide yo scripts, hide yo clicks, and hide yo logs cause they bannin errbody up in here.

8.jpg