Welcome to Rune Tips, the first ever RuneScape help site. We aim to offer skill guides, quest guides, maps, calculators, informative databases, tips, and much more to help you get the most from the Massive Online Adventure Game, RuneScape, by Jagex Ltd © 2009.

Report Ad

Welcome to Forum.Tip.It
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Windows 7 beta

• Please log in to reply
151 replies to this topic

Poll: Poll (0 member(s) have cast votes)

Vote Guests cannot vote

thrash-boy
[ Display Name History ]

thrash-boy

Scorpion Pit

• Members
  • 580 posts

I've never understood the Vista hate to be honest. Other than the fact that it comes in 8 or so different versions, it works great for me.

I used to love Vista, but now it is becoming annoying, plus it keeps BSoD in sleep mode for some reason.

Also with adding a partion, I came accross a problem with shrinking my OS (C:) drive, and also are Recovery (D:) and the two blank partitions needed?

image is xbox hueg!

i wouldnt delete that recovery partion. when you get a virus that destroys windows on you its your last option. without it you would have to go and purchase another copy of windows (if you couldn't fix the problem of course), or try and get a recovery disc from your system manufacturer.

Furah
[ Display Name History ]

Furah

Dragon Slayer

• Members
  • 5,081 posts
  • RuneScape Status:P2P
  • RSN:Emp Midget
  • Clan:Reddit

I've never understood the Vista hate to be honest. Other than the fact that it comes in 8 or so different versions, it works great for me.

I used to love Vista, but now it is becoming annoying, plus it keeps BSoD in sleep mode for some reason.

Also with adding a partion, I came accross a problem with shrinking my OS (C:) drive, and also are Recovery (D:) and the two blank partitions needed?

image is xbox hueg!

i wouldnt delete that recovery partion. when you get a virus that destroys windows on you its your last option. without it you would have to go and purchase another copy of windows (if you couldn't fix the problem of course), or try and get a recovery disc from your system manufacturer.

It came with CD's for EVERYTHING installed on the laptop when I got it, and if I need to redownload things I honestly don't care, as I'll only download what I will be using, aka dl it when I find out I need it, will reduce some clutter on my laptop anyways.

Steam | PM me for BBM PIN

Nine naked men is a technological achievement. Quote of 2013.

PCGamingWiki - Let's fix PC gaming!

Laura
[ Display Name History ]

Laura

Cor Aut Mors

• Members
  • 3,425 posts
  • RuneScape Status:None

image is xbox hueg!

I don't think that you have a large enough HDD to try out W7. For me, it needed like 23GB, and if you can't shrink it by that amount you'd have to upgrade from Vista. I would keep the Recovery drive, it's great if you ever run into trouble. W7 is great, but don't kill all your future options just to try the buggy beta. :?
Posted Image

Furah
[ Display Name History ]

Furah

Dragon Slayer

• Members
  • 5,081 posts

image is xbox hueg!

I don't think that you have a large enough HDD to try out W7. For me, it needed like 23GB, and if you can't shrink it by that amount you'd have to upgrade from Vista. I would keep the Recovery drive, it's great if you ever run into trouble. W7 is great, but don't kill all your future options just to try the buggy beta. :?

The main issue I am having is, I have 30GB of space, yet I can't use it for a partition

Sbrideau
[ Display Name History ]

Sbrideau

Ice Giant Melter

• Members
  • 4,387 posts
  • Location:Saint-Georges, Québec, Canada (very close to the Maine border)
  • RSN:Sbr
^ Did you defrag?

I don't understand the hate as well, ever since I used Vista, I don't want to use XP anymore as Vista has more options and that I got used to. Ok the UAC can be a bit annoying at times, but they did a better job with it in W7. Plus, Vista is faster and more stable than XP in my case.

Mamong
[ Display Name History ]

Mamong

Hobgoblin Killer

• Members
  • 1,561 posts
I had the same issue.

The problem is, Vista places some critical system files towards the end of your hard drive (the Master File Table I think it is, or MFT), so you can't shrink your hard drive as those files are there.

Go here - http://www.brighthub...cles/22459.aspx

Follow the steps there, it will cover the HD issue and will fix it so you can shrink it down much, much more than the pittance you're originally offered. Be patient, the tools used in there will take a few hours to do, just leave them be, and you'll a hard drive ready to dual boot.
Posted Image
Posted Image
[Tip.It Mod][Retired][Add your Steam name here!]

Furah
[ Display Name History ]

Furah

Dragon Slayer

• Members
  • 5,081 posts

I had the same issue.

The problem is, Vista places some critical system files towards the end of your hard drive (the Master File Table I think it is, or MFT), so you can't shrink your hard drive as those files are there.

Go here - http://www.brighthub...cles/22459.aspx

Follow the steps there, it will cover the HD issue and will fix it so you can shrink it down much, much more than the pittance you're originally offered. Be patient, the tools used in there will take a few hours to do, just leave them be, and you'll a hard drive ready to dual boot.

Awesome, thanks, and do you have any clue what the two unnamed drives are? As I am wondering if they are of any importance or not...

ClareJonsson
[ Display Name History ]

ClareJonsson

Dark Wizard Robe

• Members
  • 761 posts

I had the same issue.

GParted Live CD can do it, but you have to run a quick repair from your Vista install DVD which sorts out the MFT pointers. But it is possible to shrink Vista volumes!

Furah
[ Display Name History ]

Furah

Dragon Slayer

• Members
  • 5,081 posts
Ok, thanks to Mamong I got enough space (I also deleted a whole lot of junk I never use) and so I burned the beta onto a DVD using an iso burner and when I booted and hit F12 so I could select CD/DVD drive, it just loaded up normally, why is this?

BlueLancer
[ Display Name History ]

BlueLancer

Dragon Slayer

• Members
  • 5,114 posts
I never use any software unless it has clear, concrete advantages compared to other available ones on the market... Just burned the .iso and installed Win7 on another hard-drive, I'd recommend it just for the speed improvement alone... On a pretty basic dual-core rig with 4gb of RAM, it boots from the BIOS screen onto the desktop within 20 seconds. Vista takes me about a minute or so.

The visual style is a pretty bad reason 'not' to upgrade. Just because it "looks" like Vista doesn't mean it's anything like it. Sure, the kernel is probably 99% based on it. It does look similar as well. But it's a horrible point to consider when weighing the cons and pros of trying it. It doesn't even cost anything.

The only problem is compatibility issues. Some games and programs that worked on XP and Vista will not run on Win7 beta. In the worst case, your graphics card will not support Windows 7 at all. Also, if you use cracked "no-CD exes", expect a lot of problems, rendering issues, or the application not starting up at all etc.

ClareJonsson
[ Display Name History ]

ClareJonsson

Dark Wizard Robe

• Members
  • 761 posts

The only problem is compatibility issues. Some games and programs that worked on XP and Vista will not run on Win7 beta. In the worst case, your graphics card will not support Windows 7 at all. Also, if you use cracked "no-CD exes", expect a lot of problems, rendering issues, or the application not starting up at all etc.

It's odd you should say that, but so far what I have found is more programs work on Windows 7 than on Vista. I feel Windows 7 is more backward compatible than Vista. I am rapidly resigning Vista to the same box as Dos 4 and Windows ME.

BlueLancer
[ Display Name History ]

BlueLancer

Dragon Slayer

• Members
  • 5,114 posts
It actually has better overall compatibility with earlier Windows platform programs, like ones designed for Win98, XP, etc...

The worst problem is probably that if you have an older graphics card (which still performs adequately under Vista) that has nVidia/Catalyst drivers that don't run under Windows 7 (which needs specific drivers, old Catalyst ones for example may not support Radeon X800 and older cards), you'll be unable to game at all & the desktop will look horrible at 800x600. You would have to wait until they release Windows 7 drivers for it.

Here's one such typical thread from another forum I occassionally visit

http://www.overclock... ... alyst.html

Especially for laptops it can be a pain in the behind, you'll first have to install XP drivers (on Windows 7), and even then, installers, games & applications will freeze or crash often

dsavi
[ Display Name History ]

dsavi

Dragon Slayer

• Members
  • 6,869 posts
^ Once W7 is released possibly at the end of this year, I'm pretty sure that they'll be done with the graphics drivers. The beta obviously isn't meant for normal use, so it's no big deal.

C2b6gs7.png

blade995
[ Display Name History ]

blade995

Ghost Cloak

• Members
  • 1,897 posts

^ Once W7 is released possibly at the end of this year, I'm pretty sure that they'll be done with the graphics drivers. The beta obviously isn't meant for normal use, so it's no big deal.

I would think they should be released even before that. They should have learned from the Vista driver problems that you have working drivers for your products before the operating system is released. The drivers should take a shorter time to port because Vista and Windows 7 are a lot more similar than Vista to XP.
Posted Image

sparky1_2007
[ Display Name History ]

sparky1_2007

Scorpion Pit

• Members
  • 568 posts
ive been having issues like no other with windows 7 :(

ATI vid drivers have been failing on loading a new portion of the RS world

and the windows installer wont re-install java for me :|

im going to be re-installing vista x64 bit business in a bit.

ohh, and my specs:

Core2Quad Q6600 @ 3.0ghz

8gb ddr800 Gskill ram

Asus Maximus formula x38 mobo

Powercolor HD4870 1gb

2x74gb raptors in raid 0

thats about it.

moral of the story is dont touch it with a 10ft. pole till they come out with a new build :)

Sbrideau
[ Display Name History ]

Sbrideau

Ice Giant Melter

• Members
  • 4,387 posts
  • Location:Saint-Georges, Québec, Canada (very close to the Maine border)
  • RSN:Sbr
Wait, how did you get Java to work on W7? I tried, installed, but can't load it on Firefox or IE64bit =\.

Furah
[ Display Name History ]

Furah

Dragon Slayer

• Members
  • 5,081 posts

Wait, how did you get Java to work on W7? I tried, installed, but can't load it on Firefox or IE64bit =\.

I am pretty sure you don't need to install Java, I didn't, and not only that but I didn't have to update any drivers, or download anything apart from an AV program (I chose Kaspersky, annoying me)

dsavi
[ Display Name History ]

dsavi

Dragon Slayer

• Members
  • 6,869 posts

ive been having issues like no other with windows 7 :(

Chill out, it's just a beta.

C2b6gs7.png

RSBDavid
[ Display Name History ]

RSBDavid

Ice Giant Melter

• Members
  • 4,113 posts
  • RSN:Davidd
I officially tried it out today.

Advantages:

-Loads faster then Vista Home Premium.

-Cool start up logo.

-Color of the windows Aero changes with the background.

-You can set the background to change periodically.

-Plays older games and newer games better then VHP.

Cons:

BETA

I would recommend it.

Posted Image

[Software Engineer] - [Ability Bar Suggestion] - [Gaming Enthusiast]

Faux
[ Display Name History ]

Faux

Dragon Slayer

• Members
  • 8,805 posts
I hope this is better than Vista.

I despise Vista with a passion. Other than the media centre, the whole thing is a beautiful piece of crap. My laptop that runs XP is so much more fluid than the PC with home premium (w/c has quad core and four gig ram).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users