Windows 7 beta

stevepole

Poll  

1. 1. Poll

My only hope is that when the real deal comes out, you're never logged in as the Administrator account, and programs don't need it. Bad things happen when you're made the admin...

Actually if you're that paranoid you can easily create a standard user account as your working account, but being logged in as an Admin is fine as UAC takes care of you, unless you're daft enough to turn UAC off that is :D

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I got the beta and LOVE it. I have tried Vista and couldn't stand it, but all the things that annoyed me about Vista are fixed in Windows 7 (unless Microsoft screw it up, don't rule it out :lol: ) It also runs very fast on my computer.

And ya, you need to download it via Internet Explorer. Mozilla won't work :wall:

From what I've heard, some people have found the actual download link, and then you can download it from any browser...

I have not tried this, though.

I managed to download it fine in Safari so I guess it's possible in Firefox too.

I find it runs pretty quick, faster than any experience I had on Vista. It wont convert me back to Windows though.

SLwQsg1.png

"Unfortunately, the real world isn't the same as a fairy tale."

Hmm I just had a thought. Will this thing ever self-destruct? It's reasonably stable right now, and will be even more stable in the future, if I download a copy I could use it to run any Windows stuff I need while I'm on linux without having to buy anything.

C2b6gs7.png

I think the licence will last about 7 months.

More news, Fable works on Windows 7, I never got Fable to run on Vista.

Does it seemlessly upgrade from Vista? I don't have any mediums to do a backup to, except for the 10GB partition that Dell does, but that is mostly used up.

EDIT: Just remembered that I have a flash disk somewhere with most of my music on, I'll just back up the rest when I find it, and would it be possible to get my saved passwords from ff and copy it to my phone just in case?

Steam | PM me for BBM PIN

Nine naked men is a technological achievement. Quote of 2013.

PCGamingWiki - Let's fix PC gaming!

I think the licence will last about 7 months.

More news, Fable works on Windows 7, I never got Fable to run on Vista.

Does it seemlessly upgrade from Vista? I don't have any mediums to do a backup to, except for the 10GB partition that Dell does, but that is mostly used up.

EDIT: Just remembered that I have a flash disk somewhere with most of my music on, I'll just back up the rest when I find it, and would it be possible to get my saved passwords from ff and copy it to my phone just in case?

Well, nowadays, buying a hard drive and a case to make it an external hard drive doesn't cost much, you should try :). Oh, and don't upgrade, make a partition and install it in dual boot with you Vista.

install it on a new partion

if you wish to backup all your firefox details theres a very useful tool ive used many times:

MozBackup

it backs ups your entire firefox profile (all bookmarks, cookies, extensions, saved passwords, browsing history, absolutely everything). its extremely easy to use, takes about 30 seconds to make a backup, and then you can take that backup to any computer with firefox, and it takes about 30 seconds to restore a backup. then its just like you were still using the first computer, you would never know you have moved all your data across.

install it on a new partion

if you wish to backup all your firefox details theres a very useful tool ive used many times:

MozBackup

it backs ups your entire firefox profile (all bookmarks, cookies, extensions, saved passwords, browsing history, absolutely everything). its extremely easy to use, takes about 30 seconds to make a backup, and then you can take that backup to any computer with firefox, and it takes about 30 seconds to restore a backup. then its just like you were still using the first computer, you would never know you have moved all your data across.

Well, from what I have heard about Windows 7, I give up on Vista (BSoD in sleep mode ftl) besides once I get my desktop I am gonna turn this laptop into a Ubuntu laptop (used to dual-boot)

I'm not too keen on the massive taskbar but if I decide to buy the OEM version of 7 when ir is released, can I just reformat my hard-drive and install 7 or do I need a new component (ie. hard drive).

eggzs.png

I'm not too keen on the massive taskbar but if I decide to buy the OEM version of 7 when ir is released, can I just reformat my hard-drive and install 7 or do I need a new component (ie. hard drive).

You can just reformat. That is if your computer has the minimum requirements. If your running Vista right now, your computer will run Windows 7.

goldenblade995.png

Well, from what I have heard about Windows 7, I give up on Vista (BSoD in sleep mode ftl)

Don't compare Vista and Windows 7 to each other, they may look similar, but they are very different beasts under the hood.

I was saying that from what I've heard, not seen, it is better then Vista, which I am getting sick of.

I've never understood the Vista hate to be honest. Other than the fact that it comes in 8 or so different versions, it works great for me.

I used to love Vista, but now it is becoming annoying, plus it keeps BSoD in sleep mode for some reason.

Also with adding a partion, I came accross a problem with shrinking my OS (C:) drive, and also are Recovery (D:) and the two blank partitions needed?

[hide=image is xbox hueg!]2hx7spd.jpg[/hide]

I've never understood the Vista hate to be honest. Other than the fact that it comes in 8 or so different versions, it works great for me.

I used to love Vista, but now it is becoming annoying, plus it keeps BSoD in sleep mode for some reason.

Also with adding a partion, I came accross a problem with shrinking my OS (C:) drive, and also are Recovery (D:) and the two blank partitions needed?

i wouldnt delete that recovery partion. when you get a virus that destroys windows on you its your last option. without it you would have to go and purchase another copy of windows (if you couldn't fix the problem of course), or try and get a recovery disc from your system manufacturer.

i wouldnt delete that recovery partion. when you get a virus that destroys windows on you its your last option. without it you would have to go and purchase another copy of windows (if you couldn't fix the problem of course), or try and get a recovery disc from your system manufacturer.

It came with CD's for EVERYTHING installed on the laptop when I got it, and if I need to redownload things I honestly don't care, as I'll only download what I will be using, aka dl it when I find out I need it, will reduce some clutter on my laptop anyways.

I don't think that you have a large enough HDD to try out W7. For me, it needed like 23GB, and if you can't shrink it by that amount you'd have to upgrade from Vista. I would keep the Recovery drive, it's great if you ever run into trouble. W7 is great, but don't kill all your future options just to try the buggy beta. :?
hopesolopatriot.jpg

I don't think that you have a large enough HDD to try out W7. For me, it needed like 23GB, and if you can't shrink it by that amount you'd have to upgrade from Vista. I would keep the Recovery drive, it's great if you ever run into trouble. W7 is great, but don't kill all your future options just to try the buggy beta. :?

The main issue I am having is, I have 30GB of space, yet I can't use it for a partition

^ Did you defrag?

I don't understand the hate as well, ever since I used Vista, I don't want to use XP anymore as Vista has more options and that I got used to. Ok the UAC can be a bit annoying at times, but they did a better job with it in W7. Plus, Vista is faster and more stable than XP in my case.

I had the same issue.

The problem is, Vista places some critical system files towards the end of your hard drive (the Master File Table I think it is, or MFT), so you can't shrink your hard drive as those files are there.

Go here - http://www.brighthub.com/computing/windows-platform/articles/22459.aspx

Follow the steps there, it will cover the HD issue and will fix it so you can shrink it down much, much more than the pittance you're originally offered. Be patient, the tools used in there will take a few hours to do, just leave them be, and you'll a hard drive ready to dual boot.

Mamong.png

336489.jpg

[Tip.It Mod][Retired][Add your Steam name here!]

I had the same issue.

The problem is, Vista places some critical system files towards the end of your hard drive (the Master File Table I think it is, or MFT), so you can't shrink your hard drive as those files are there.

Go here - http://www.brighthub.com/computing/windows-platform/articles/22459.aspx

Follow the steps there, it will cover the HD issue and will fix it so you can shrink it down much, much more than the pittance you're originally offered. Be patient, the tools used in there will take a few hours to do, just leave them be, and you'll a hard drive ready to dual boot.

Awesome, thanks, and do you have any clue what the two unnamed drives are? As I am wondering if they are of any importance or not...

I had the same issue.

GParted Live CD can do it, but you have to run a quick repair from your Vista install DVD which sorts out the MFT pointers. But it is possible to shrink Vista volumes!

Ok, thanks to Mamong I got enough space (I also deleted a whole lot of junk I never use) and so I burned the beta onto a DVD using an iso burner and when I booted and hit F12 so I could select CD/DVD drive, it just loaded up normally, why is this?

I never use any software unless it has clear, concrete advantages compared to other available ones on the market... Just burned the .iso and installed Win7 on another hard-drive, I'd recommend it just for the speed improvement alone... On a pretty basic dual-core rig with 4gb of RAM, it boots from the BIOS screen onto the desktop within 20 seconds. Vista takes me about a minute or so.

The visual style is a pretty bad reason 'not' to upgrade. Just because it "looks" like Vista doesn't mean it's anything like it. Sure, the kernel is probably 99% based on it. It does look similar as well. But it's a horrible point to consider when weighing the cons and pros of trying it. It doesn't even cost anything.

The only problem is compatibility issues. Some games and programs that worked on XP and Vista will not run on Win7 beta. In the worst case, your graphics card will not support Windows 7 at all. Also, if you use cracked "no-CD exes", expect a lot of problems, rendering issues, or the application not starting up at all etc.