The Media

Da Pirates

Poll  

1. 1. Poll

Personally, I hate the media. The media takes trivial things and blows them out of proportion, and also puts a major bias on things and most people consider it the truth.

That is my opinion on the media, what is yours?

BR BR BR? HUEHUEHEUEHUE

I read Digg and the New York Times. Both tend to avoid the crap news, in their own ways.

[if you have ever attempted Alchemy by clapping your hands or

by drawing an array, copy and paste this into your signature.]

Fullmetal Alchemist, you will be missed. A great ending to a great series.

Personally, I hate the media. The media takes trivial things and blows them out of proportion, and also puts a major bias on things and most people consider it the truth.

That is my opinion on the media, what is yours?

The media is a lot of things. If you dislike media, then you basically dislike music, television, and all forms of entertainment.

Having a little media in your life is healthy, it keeps you updated with the world but then again you need to practice balance, as with all things.

Here's an interesting video, it shows how everyone gets influenced by the media, even the advertisers themselves: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZyQjr1YL0zg

It just goes to show the powerful impact that media has on our lives, whether be it subconscious or consciously that we think about it.

cgknightofroundsorigina.jpg

99 Hits, Attack, Strength, Defence, Mage, Summoning, Slayer, Ranged, 96/99 Prayer

Some media sources blow trivial things way out of proportion and are biased, but then again some don't. When it comes to bias, Fox News and MSNBC in the States come to mind. Sources like these seem to have a problem separating real news from opinion, politics or just plain trivial things.

Over here in Aus the (news) media doesn't seem to be anywhere near as comical, but current affairs programs like A Current Affair and Today Tonight are still the [wagon] of journalism as far as I'm concerned. We tend to get pretty straightforward, no nonsense nightly news, though I have spotted a touch of bias on the rare occasion, and slow news days do tend to produce the odd trivial "news" story. I think the best way to go when it comes to news is to get information from multiple sources - I often watch 9 News, 10 News, and ABC news as well.

The benefit these days is that the news is all over the internet as well, so you can get many different sources for news at the click of a button, any time of the day.

I see nothing wrong with the (mass) media. I wouldn't expect any less from them -- they are, after all, seeking profit.

The problem is with the public reaction. All too often news reports, advertisements and TV sitcoms are taken as some sort of "accurate depiction of reality." This often contributes to issues such as anorexia, stereotyping, panic, etc.

You can't say you hate the media, like someone else said, that includes pretty much everything in the public consciousness.

You hate the press and journalists. I assume specifically the tabloids, which I hate, too, since they are essentially just scaremongering parasites that sensationalise everything to sell more papers and get more viewing figures.

spacescenev24.jpg

If the "media" didn't blow everything out of proportion, the "media" would be out of a job. They rely on sensationalists headlines and falsified information to capture the masses attention.

Cheap tabloids, seedy jounarlist scum, verbal paparazzi, I think, is what you are referring to.

Then again, we couldn't survive without the media.

Here in Australia, quack job TV programs, such as the 6:00 "News Reports" are intended more for gossiping housewives and disenchanted single-women.

If the "media" didn't blow everything out of proportion, the "media" would be out of a job. They rely on sensationalists headlines and falsified information to capture the masses attention.

Cheap tabloids, seedy jounarlist scum, verbal paparazzi, I think, is what you are referring to.

Here in Australia, quack job TV programs, such as the 6:00 "News Reports" are intended more for gossiping housewives and disenchanted single-women.

Are you sure you don't mean A Current Affair/Today Tonight? The 6:00 news is pretty much fine as far as I'm concerned. If anything, I'd accuse your comments of being sensationalist, not the 6:00 news.

Occasionally I will watch MSNBC, Fox News, CNN, etc and I personally think the most reliable of all cable news is Fox. My main problem with the media is that its corrupt and rather than reporting stories, they mostly report idealogy and what a lot of people look for is accurate news. I'd rather watch a conservative and liberal debating late at night than Chris Matthews slobbering over Obama anyday.

safari20hat11.jpg

We should euthanize anyone who lacks the capability to contribute to society in any way.

Please don't elect this man for president in 2012

Are you sure you don't mean A Current Affair/Today Tonight? The 6:00 news is pretty much fine as far as I'm concerned. If anything, I'd accuse your comments of being sensationalist, not the 6:00 news.

Yeah, Today Tonight, particularly. News anchor, previously Anna Coren. (Sp?)

Got mixed up with the timings.

In regard to your last sentence. Yes, but who cares what I say.

Occasionally I will watch MSNBC, Fox News, CNN, etc and I personally think the most reliable of all cable news is Fox.

Faux is definitely not reliable.

Yeah, I hate the sensationalist or extremely conservative ("Obama is a Muslim!") because they tend to contain about the same amount of crap. For news sources, I read a newspaper maybe one or two people in all of active Tip.It would know of, and listen to NPR.

C2b6gs7.png

It can be annoying but all you have to do is switch on your brain and think critically. And I agree with warrior on "today tonight" I can't stand the amount of pathos they use in their program, it's ridiculous.

igoddessIsig.png

The only people who tell you that you can't do something are those who have already given up on their own dreams so feel the need to discourage yours.

Occasionally I will watch MSNBC, Fox News, CNN, etc and I personally think the most reliable of all cable news is Fox.

Faux is definitely not reliable.

Yeah, I hate the sensationalist or extremely conservative ("Obama is a Muslim!") because they tend to contain about the same amount of crap. For news sources, I read a newspaper maybe one or two people in all of active Tip.It would know of, and listen to NPR.

You've got to love Bill "Fair and Balanced" O'Reily.

If the media you mean is the one where you get your news, it serves a purpose. The important thing is to figure out what parts are true, and what parts are "blown out of proportion".

Then again, over the election time, the newspaper I read pretty much described Mccain as the devil, and Obama as Jesus... Not outright, but you could tell they wanted to :lol: . That's the kind of bias that's annoying.