Penguin bannings resolution

Master_Smither

Poll  

1. 1. Poll

We have now assessed the players who have been banned for abusing a bug involving being able to spot a penguin infinitely rather than the usual once. For the next few hours we will be in the process of taking the appropriate action for each account.

They fall into three categories.

In the first category, 159 players have been permanently banned. These are players who have spotted a penguin at least 250 times and cashed in their points. Most had spotted significantly more than 250. Many had spotted several thousand penguins.

When you bear in mind that you can only spot 50 penguins at once. This means the players had to click on a penguin 50 times go to Larry for lots of rewards, then go back to the penguin and click 50 times go to Larry etc etc. Thats not something you can possibly do by accident.

All these people got enough penguin points to gain hundreds of thousands of xp points in hard to level skills. For several players it was millions of xp gained.

This is an extremely flagrant abuse of rule 4.

We are very aware that we have a lot of customers who play this game mostly to compete in the hiscore tables. Using bugs to gain this much xp is not fair for all the many honest players who compete for places in the hiscore table by putting in a lot of effort to get up their experience by playing legitimately.

In the second category there are a number of players who also knowingly abused the bug and deliberately gained extra rewards from it. The numbers of penguins caught and the number of times they cashed in their points at Larry is quite clearly more than an accident, but the advantaged gained was not obscene.

These players received temporary bans for breaking rule 4

In the third category there are a number of accounts which we felt banning them was a little too harsh. They had all spotted several more penguins than normal. Contrary to what some people have claimed we didnt ban anyone who spotted very small numbers extra, but we feel we should have set the number even higher as on further review there are a number of users banned who we dont think were deliberately trying to break the rules.

Nearly all of the those accounts were unbanned on Friday night, which is only two or three hours after they were initially banned, so hopefully it didnt inconvenience to many people. We apologise to any of these people who did lose playtime as a result. We are giving some free membership credit to those users.

A number of people have suggested a roll back of XP. While we can certainly see the merits of this idea, its unfortunately not technically possible at this time

I would remind all players that making use of bugs to gain an advantage in the game is against the rules and not fair on other players. For Jagexs part we should try as hard as we can not to let these issues arise in the first place, and we have learned from this, but when we have a game as in depth and as complicated as Runescape, even with many people testing changes, its unfortunately impossible to guarantee that the game will be completely bug free.

Thanks for everyone that has brought this bug to our attention and thanks to everyone who withstood the temptation to abuse this bug you are the kind of player that makes the RuneScape community so special

Click for My Blog

Runescapew44.png

b3e1cfada6.png

670th to 99 Smithing July 21st, 07 |743rd to 99 Mining November 29th, 07 | 649th to 99 Runecrafting May 18th, 08 | 29,050th to 99 Defence October 20th, 08 | 20,700th to 99 Magic November 8, 08 | 47,938th to 99 Attack December 19, 08 | 37,829th to 99 Hitpoints December 24, 08 | 68,604th to 99 Strength February 4, 09 | 27,983rd to 99 Range February 9, 09 | 9,725th to 99 Prayer June 8, 09 | 6,620th to 99 Slayer December, 12 09 | 4,075th to 99 Summoning December, 28 09 | 3,551th to 99 Herblore February 24, 10 | 3,192th to 99 Dungeoneering November 11, 10 | 146,600th to 99 Cooking December 29th, 10 | 11,333rd to 99 Construction June 7th, 11 | 16,648th to 99 Farming August 1st, 11 | 19,993th to 99 Crafting August 2nd, 11 | 89,739th to 99 Woodcutting Janurary 1st, 12 | 55,424th to 99 Fishing May 9th, 12| 60,648th to 99 Firemaking May 12th, 12 | 16666th to 99 Agility May 17th, 2012 | 24476th to 99 Hunter June 1st, 2012 | 57,881st to 99 Fletching June 1st, 2012 | All 99s June 1st, 2012 | 3183th to 120 Dungeoneering July 24th, 2012 | 2341st to 2496 Total level July 24th, 2012 | Completionist Cape July 24th, 2012

Hehe, Nice thread runescapew44. It is good to see jagex is banning legimate rule breakers, as they have been making mistakes recently.

Ashcon4

K, you were forced to post, so am I. :shock:

Jagex finally wins with their resolution this time. :thumbsup:

80aa0daff6.png

Nate's Big Blog

4,000th to 99 crafting, 33,340th to 99 defence, 3,867th to 99 farming, 55,293rd to 99 hitpoints

I know people are supposed to follow rules, but many legitimate players have admitted it weas very hard to resist the temptation. I suggest Jagex make penguins give double the EXP for the next two weeks. :D

ixfd64.png

ARENAscape:

Baratus [AS] max hit: 166 with Moon Battle Hammer

ixfd64 [AS] max hit: 116 with (untitled spell #2)

Pfft so the temp banned people in category 2 get to keep their exp :(

People in category 2 should be banned from playing the Penguin D&D ever again.

612d9da508.png

Mercifull.png

Mercifull <3 Suzi

"We don't want players to be able to buy their way to success in RuneScape. If we let players start doing this, it devalues RuneScape for others. We feel your status in real-life shouldn't affect your ability to be successful in RuneScape" Jagex 01/04/01 - 02/03/12

It is a shame they cannot do a rollback, although it is very obvious why. A rollback (which they can do) would result in everyones data getting rolled back to a save point. If the bug was explioted for a prolonged period (30 mins+) then the impact it would have on legitimate players would be huge.

Imagine getting a sara hilt drop then logging on to find it's gone due to a rollback caused by other players breaking the rules.

The only solution as I can see for the tier 2 offenders is to wipe scores. Whatever XP they used the penguins for gets set to level 1. As these are hard to level skills it would really annoy them. This should be easy to do.

cat_sabbath.png

Trust the Gene Genie!

I know people are supposed to follow rules, but many legitimate players have admitted it weas very hard to resist the temptation. I suggest Jagex make penguins give double the EXP for the next two weeks. :D

Well duh it's tempting. I was looking at what might have been as much as 92 construction looking me in the face, or 85 in several skills. My solution? Log out and go play Baldur's Gate II:SoA. Problem solved.

Glad to see some banning.

I like the way they have sorted it all out now however I don't agree with giving out a free months subscription to those who were banned for a couple of hours/days, they should have just reimbursed the credit they lost. After all they still broke the rules even though they resisted the temptation to go over board. Those of us who didn't abuse this at all got nothing yet we stuck to the rules 100%.