Are parent too harsh on Jagex? or misunderstood?

kill2pleasure

RWTers ruin the game for everybody.

Hackers ruin the game for individuals.

Timmy tried to kill my game. And yours. Nothing we can do about it. We can do something about hackers ourselves.

He doesn't feel sorry about trying to kill our game. That's regrettable.

spuriousmonk.png

spuriousmonk.png

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If his relative played RuneScape and got a party hat, then gave it to him, I wouldn't have any problem at all with it. But by being a RWT'r he paid macroers. That's not right and is in no way acceptable.
Actually, chances are he paid someone who just goes to GWD regularly. But even if he did pay a macroer, it's the macroer ruining the game - NOT the real world trader on the buying end (in this case Timmy).

Timmy tried to kill my game. And yours. Nothing we can do about it. We can do something about hackers ourselves.

RWTers don't ruin the game for anybody. Timmy did not try to kill our game, therefore the only thing he should feel sorry for is being irresponsible enough to let himself get hacked.

Honestly, you guys are all interchanging macroers and people who use stolen credit cards with real world traders. Macroers ruined the game, players who used stolen credit cards didn't necessarily ruin the game but they sure as hell hurt Jagex, real world traders on the other hand didn't affect the game in any way for you and I.

May the presents of our lord and savior, Santa, be with you this holiday season!

First annual Clausmas - 2009 December 25

Just forget it. I remember now why I left the last time. It's quite obvious that I don't fit in around here any more, so y'all just go back to your laugh riot about the 11-year-old who got scammed. Bye.

Couldn't have said it better myself. Just because something's against a game's little rules, it doesn't mean that people should act like immature jerks because someone broke the rules. It's really not that big of a deal, and it certainly is no one's business. If Jagex has a problem with it, it should only be between them and the client, not between them, the players, and the client.

Whether you agree with it or not, this WAS the kid's present from his guardians. They did it because they thought that it would be a gift that he would enjoy since he loves to play Runescape. They have every right to be angry that this other [online] person took away the child's present and then taunted him.

SWAG

Mayn U wanna be like me but U can't be me cuz U ain't got ma swagga on.

Just forget it. I remember now why I left the last time. It's quite obvious that I don't fit in around here any more, so y'all just go back to your laugh riot about the 11-year-old who got scammed. Bye.

Couldn't have said it better myself. Just because something's against a game's little rules, it doesn't mean that people should act like immature jerks because someone broke the rules. It's really not that big of a deal, and it certainly is no one's business. If Jagex has a problem with it, it should only be between them and the client, not between them, the players, and the client.

If they start whining on tv, it becomes everyones business instantly. :roll:

priest_wiz.png

rules are rules. if you break them, you deserved to be punished, no matter what age you are. ever since you start preschool, everything is structured around rules. by saying this kid is 11 and we should feel bad for him because he didnt know better is laughable. hes had ~7 years to learn about right and wrong. and why shouldnt that knowledge be put to use in the virtual world? its the real world that the virtual world is structured on. there are rules in the real world, and there are rules in the virtual world. both sets are meant to be followed.

jagex takes all these precautions to make sure none of this stuff happens to their players, and they have so many features that seem to baby players. but there are here for our safety. if he chooses not to heed them, thats his problem.

modmarkl.jpg
~ 3,072nd to 99 Mining on August 30th, 2009 ~
~ 112,084th to 99 Magic on April 16th, 2011 ~

~ 131,681st to 99 Crafting on March 29, 2019 ~

~ 178,385th to 99 Prayer on April 2, 2019 ~

~ 234,921st to 99 Defence on May 9, 2019 ~

~ 173,480th to 99 Herblore on June 21, 2019 ~

~ 155,160th to 99 Smithing on July 16, 2019 ~

I'm surprised by the amount of people defending rule breakers. Its not his parents fault, its not our fault, its not Jagex' fault, its his fault. When his parents wanted to buy him something in RuneScape, he should of told them Real World Trading was against the rules and could perm ban his account. I'm sure his family would understood.

Its people like him who, in my opinion, destroyed the game. Gold sellers will continue to sell if there are buyers and this kid's was buyer. It was gold sellers who made Jagex do the Dec 10 updates and after that RuneScape was forever changed towards the negative to me. It's people like this 11 year old that, in essence, interrupted my gaming experience and for Jagex and anybody else to give him sympathy makes me furious. Why can't people give me sympathy? I played a perfectly good game until RWTers messed it up. It ruined my gaming experience and now I want people to cry for me.

But it doesn't work like that, does it?

"The cry of the poor is not always just, but if you never hear it you'll never know what justice is."

siggy3s.jpg

If his relative played RuneScape and got a party hat, then gave it to him, I wouldn't have any problem at all with it. But by being a RWT'r he paid macroers. That's not right and is in no way acceptable.
Actually, chances are he paid someone who just goes to GWD regularly. But even if he did pay a macroer, it's the macroer ruining the game - NOT the real world trader on the buying end (in this case Timmy).

RWTers don't ruin the game for anybody. Timmy did not try to kill our game, therefore the only thing he should feel sorry for is being irresponsible enough to let himself get hacked.

Honestly, you guys are all interchanging macroers and people who use stolen credit cards with real world traders. Macroers ruined the game, players who used stolen credit cards didn't necessarily ruin the game but they sure as hell hurt Jagex, real world traders on the other hand didn't affect the game in any way for you and I.

If there were no RWTers there would be no macroers. Why would macroers exist if there weren't someone to buy the things they macro to get? Without RWT there would be no macroers, and hence, by RWTing Timmy supported macroing

If there were no RWTers there would be no macroers. Why would macroers exist if there weren't someone to buy the things they macro to get? Without RWT there would be no macroers, and hence, by RWTing Timmy supported macroing

Actually. Before macros were used to gold farm in MMO's they were first used to level up your character without you having to be at your computer while your character leveled up.

1ow37b.jpg

I loled so hard at this :lol: what kinda idiot says ok ima give this kid 140$ for virtual coins :lol: kid deserves to b hacked for RWT.

I would have said that you put that a bit to harsh, but yeah, he shouldn't have bought RS money with real life money.

What's Runescape?

I'm surprised by the amount of people defending rule breakers. Its not his parents fault, its not our fault, its not Jagex' fault, its his fault. When his parents wanted to buy him something in RuneScape, he should of told them Real World Trading was against the rules and could perm ban his account. I'm sure his family would understood.

Its people like him who, in my opinion, destroyed the game. Gold sellers will continue to sell if there are buyers and this kid's was buyer. It was gold sellers who made Jagex do the Dec 10 updates and after that RuneScape was forever changed towards the negative to me. It's people like this 11 year old that, in essence, interrupted my gaming experience and for Jagex and anybody else to give him sympathy makes me furious. Why can't people give me sympathy? I played a perfectly good game until RWTers messed it up. It ruined my gaming experience and now I want people to cry for me.

But it doesn't work like that, does it?

Likewise, I'm surprised at the amount of people condemning Timmy for his actions when the fact of the matter is they didn't affect any of you in any way. If your opinion is that it's players like Timmy who 'destroyed' the game, well then I'm sure's hell glad I don't share your opinions.

May the presents of our lord and savior, Santa, be with you this holiday season!

Likewise, I'm surprised at the amount of people condemning Timmy for his actions when the fact of the matter is they didn't affect any of you in any way. If your opinion is that it's players like Timmy who 'destroyed' the game, well then I'm sure's hell glad I don't share your opinions.

Just because they don't affect me doesn't mean that they're "okay." Him being scammed doesn't affect me, so should I not feel sorry for him? Should we just not care when people break the rules, simply because their actions do not directly affect us?

Posted Image

- 99 fletching | 99 thieving | 99 construction | 99 herblore | 99 smithing | 99 woodcutting -

- 99 runecrafting - 99 prayer - 125 combat - 95 farming -

- Blog - DeviantART - Book Reviews & Blog

Omg ,

sorry but do u have any Idea of this game ?

RWT nearly affect anything.

1. Prices drops very fast ( thousends of bots cutting Yews / Mining coal 24/7 ...)

2. Player see lvl 3 with P Hats and then u know this is a RWT, they will be angry and do it like them... RWT goes on)

3. Much more Player will be Hacked (for the RWTrader it would be profitably)

Since the Wildy / Trade Updates in Dec. 2007 there are much less Hacker on Runescape.

Im not glad they removed the Wildy but it was the right and the only way.

B2T:

he deservs what he get ...

Sorry but thats a good exemple for Jagex, they made the Game for 13+

Just because they don't affect me doesn't mean that they're "okay." Him being scammed doesn't affect me, so should I not feel sorry for him? Should we just not care when people break the rules, simply because their actions do not directly affect us?

The difference between someone getting scammed and someone real world trading is there is a negative outcome in the scamming equation, there isn't one in the real world trading equation.

I'm not saying we shouldn't show compassion towards the guy who gets mugged on his way home, but rather we shouldn't get all riled up about the person speeding on an open road - let alone laugh at the guy who got mugged because he was speeding on an open road.

To Pire666: Yes, I have a great understanding for how this game works...and it's evident you can't say the same.

The difference between someone getting scammed and someone real world trading is there is a negative outcome in the scamming equation, there isn't one in the real world trading equation.

I'm not saying we shouldn't show compassion towards the guy who gets mugged on his way home, but rather we shouldn't get all riled up about the person speeding on an open road - let alone laugh at the guy who got mugged because he was speeding on an open road.

But RWT does affect us. One person doing it won't have an affect on the game or economy, but it does affect the players. If there are people who buy their items/gold/etc. and get away with it, how is that fair? This guy claims to put a lot of hard work and time into his account, but he BOUGHT his items. Some players actually put real time and effort into EARNING them and it isn't fair to us that some people can effortlessly obtain them.

And if you want to use the car analogy, I think I would say that a man is speeding down a road, then he gets his car taken away, and he complains because he wants his car back so he can continue speeding.

Posted Image

- 99 fletching | 99 thieving | 99 construction | 99 herblore | 99 smithing | 99 woodcutting -

- 99 runecrafting - 99 prayer - 125 combat - 95 farming -

- Blog - DeviantART - Book Reviews & Blog

But RWT does affect us. One person doing it won't have an affect on the game or economy, but it does affect the players. If there are people who buy their items/gold/etc. and get away with it, how is that fair? This guy claims to put a lot of hard work and time into his account, but he BOUGHT his items. Some players actually put real time and effort into EARNING them and it isn't fair to us that some people can effortlessly obtain them.

And if you want to use the car analogy, I think I would say that a man is speeding down a road, then he gets his car taken away, and he complains because he wants his car back so he can continue speeding.

2 players each do a level 3 clue, one gets junk and the other gets a double 3rd age clue.

2 players each do a level 3 clue, they both get junk but one of them is a real world trader and buys a couple pieces of 3rd age.

There's a great deal of luck involved in this game, and that alone means that things aren't going to be fair when it comes to making money.

I have a friend who spends every minute he plays trying to make money so he can someday afford an sgs, while I sit on my hoard of wealth (compared to him) that I obtained in a fairly short period of time by getting lucky with monster drops. I can honestly say he's 'worked' harder for his 30m or so than I have for my near 1 billion, so how is that fair?

I will agree that there is something wrong with real world trading for skills versus wealth, but even with that there's always going to be players who have more time in a day to play than you do.

THIS JUST IN! Underaged Runescape player, Timmy HIS ACCOUNT STOLEN. This is big news people, a big first. A scary first.

Timmy, being only 11 years old (yes ELEVEN YEARS OLD, poor kid) is awesome at Runescape. He has powers, big points, and lots of abilities. He's so cool, other players ask him for help! (Does this generous child actually help them? Tune in at 10 and find out!) Timmy recently SPOKE to someone in Runescape, and asked something UNHEARD OF. "Will you join my clan?" asked the other youngster (or so he lead us on to believe). He then told Timmy to go to a different website!!

Poor Timmy didn't know advertising websites was against the rules, nor was he taught that there are many suspicious sites out there! The fault of uncaring programmers, as you can see. The site looked identical to the real Runescape website, yet only with a totally different address! Poor Timmy was never told about common sense about the internets, someone else is to blame, here.

He input his password the evil site, and before Timmy could even start crying, his account was STOLEN.

But who cares? This is just some stupid fake game, with little pixels and pretend items, right? WRONG. The game costs 60 dollars a year! You'd have to give up precious precious foodmoney to play this game. Not only that, but little Timmy had his relatives fork over 140 dollars for him to activate cheats in Runescape to get more swords and armors.

All that is gone now, and there's no way he can play the game anymore. It would take him a COUPLE OF HOURS to make that 140 dollars worth of fake pixel items. Poor Timmy is even mocked when he plays on his other account (already worth $300!), saying he will be hacked again, and again, and again, and AGAIN.

The creators of Runescape didn't give any support at ALL. Instead of spending precious hours upon hours reading the safety regulations and rules, the parents had to directly contact the creators. They got a ROBOTIC REPLY saying that they have 180+ workers for customer support, and that her message was INVALID?

The message she wrote was as follows: "My son payed 140 dollars to get money in your game, and it was stolen by a theif! This criminal mocks our poor little 11 year old boy, Timmy, saying he will be hacked again! Please get his account back, we payed so much money for him to become cool!"

It was ignored, and Timmy was left without anything at all... He says he can't play the game anymore, because all of his things were stolen. Cry for poor Timmy, and he may just feel wanted in this cruel, evil internets. There is no hope for poor Timmy, so the moral of this story is...

READ THE RULES, DAMMIT!

trains2.png

[spoiler=I LOVE MY STATION]

01001001001001110110110100100000010101000111011101100101011011000111011001100101

00100000011000010110111001100100001000000111011101101000011000010111010000100000

To Pire666: Yes, I have a great understanding for how this game works...and it's evident you can't say the same.

"there is a negative outcome in the scamming equation, there isn't one in the real world trading equation."

Do you even remember what RS was like the few months prior to the Dec. 10 trading and wilderness updates?! It was a fetid cesspool of macroers and it was all because of RWT! So don't come here on your moral high horse and say that RWT doesn't have consequences, because it DOES. For EVERYONE.

[hide=Cheefoo124]

THIS JUST IN! Underaged Runescape player, Timmy HIS ACCOUNT STOLEN. This is big news people, a big first. A scary first.

Timmy, being only 11 years old (yes ELEVEN YEARS OLD, poor kid) is awesome at Runescape. He has powers, big points, and lots of abilities. He's so cool, other players ask him for help! (Does this generous child actually help them? Tune in at 10 and find out!) Timmy recently SPOKE to someone in Runescape, and asked something UNHEARD OF. "Will you join my clan?" asked the other youngster (or so he lead us on to believe). He then told Timmy to go to a different website!!

Poor Timmy didn't know advertising websites was against the rules, nor was he taught that there are many suspicious sites out there! The fault of uncaring programmers, as you can see. The site looked identical to the real Runescape website, yet only with a totally different address! Poor Timmy was never told about common sense about the internets, someone else is to blame, here.

He input his password the evil site, and before Timmy could even start crying, his account was STOLEN.

But who cares? This is just some stupid fake game, with little pixels and pretend items, right? WRONG. The game costs 60 dollars a year! You'd have to give up precious precious foodmoney to play this game. Not only that, but little Timmy had his relatives fork over 140 dollars for him to activate cheats in Runescape to get more swords and armors.

All that is gone now, and there's no way he can play the game anymore. It would take him a COUPLE OF HOURS to make that 140 dollars worth of fake pixel items. Poor Timmy is even mocked when he plays on his other account (already worth $300!), saying he will be hacked again, and again, and again, and AGAIN.

The creators of Runescape didn't give any support at ALL. Instead of spending precious hours upon hours reading the safety regulations and rules, the parents had to directly contact the creators. They got a ROBOTIC REPLY saying that they have 180+ workers for customer support, and that her message was INVALID?

The message she wrote was as follows: "My son payed 140 dollars to get money in your game, and it was stolen by a theif! This criminal mocks our poor little 11 year old boy, Timmy, saying he will be hacked again! Please get his account back, we payed so much money for him to become cool!"

It was ignored, and Timmy was left without anything at all... He says he can't play the game anymore, because all of his things were stolen. Cry for poor Timmy, and he may just feel wanted in this cruel, evil internets. There is no hope for poor Timmy, so the moral of this story is...

READ THE RULES, DAMMIT!

[/hide]

Love it. ::'

READ THE RULES, DAMMIT!

"there is a negative outcome in the scamming equation, there isn't one in the real world trading equation."

Do you even remember what RS was like the few months prior to the Dec. 10 trading and wilderness updates?! It was a fetid cesspool of macroers and it was all because of RWT! So don't come here on your moral high horse and say that RWT doesn't have consequences, because it DOES. For EVERYONE.

I didn't realize we were calling lions ducks now. My bad, I'll get off my moral high horse, or is it a moral high kitty cat now?

I didn't realize we were calling lions ducks now. My bad, I'll get off my moral high horse, or is it a moral high kitty cat now?

How about instead of sarcasm, you respond to the points I raised?

2 players each do a level 3 clue, one gets junk and the other gets a double 3rd age clue.

2 players each do a level 3 clue, they both get junk but one of them is a real world trader and buys a couple pieces of 3rd age.

There's a great deal of luck involved in this game, and that alone means that things aren't going to be fair when it comes to making money.

I have a friend who spends every minute he plays trying to make money so he can someday afford an sgs, while I sit on my hoard of wealth (compared to him) that I obtained in a fairly short period of time by getting lucky with monster drops. I can honestly say he's 'worked' harder for his 30m or so than I have for my near 1 billion, so how is that fair?

I will agree that there is something wrong with real world trading for skills versus wealth, but even with that there's always going to be players who have more time in a day to play than you do.

Stop putting words in her mouth. We both know when she said "effortless" she meant with ordering gold on a website.

Didn't affect me in any way? Did you even READ my post? :roll:

"The cry of the poor is not always just, but if you never hear it you'll never know what justice is."

siggy3s.jpg

thought i'd just express my opinion on this

firstly, to all people who say leave him alone, its unfair he is judged so harshly, you should ignore him:

if he got hacked and lost those items if he gained them legit, i would think he was a bit dim, but pity him

now he fell victim to a phishing scam and lost items he bought with irl money, he broke the rwt rule so he should have lost those items, normal prodcedure for this would have been to get banned, but losing them to hacker is probably a bit more poetic justice/karma/whatever you want to call it, but i wouldn't really bother about it, even though he likely funded the organised crime running the bots with $140 dollars, tbh many people do that, as long as they get whats coming to them (a ban, or at least losing their items in a way such as this), i don't see why we should be too bothered,

the fact that he goes to complain to a major news company how people broke the rules by hacking him, stealing all the stuff he got by breaking the rules in the first place, and should have been banned, makes it everyones business, and he deserves all the flames he get. His account should have been deleted, and he shouldn't have just lost his items, if he recovered his account he got off light, yet he is still complaining.

so basically

if you break the rules, get caught and publically admit you were wrong and you were at fault and apologise for it, i would think the punishment was deserved, but i would respect you for admitting your mistakes and hope you learned your lesson

if you break the rules, get caught don't kick up a fuss about it, just start over/quit, i would say the punishment was deserved and hope you learned your lesson

if you clearly break the rules and kick up a great fuss, and whine when you get what was coming to you, whether it be karma/poetic justice, or a more accepted form of punishment (ban, mute etc.), i would think that the punishment was well deserved, and i would lose any respect i had for you and hope you would just leave the game

also another thing i want to rant about is the recent state of the media

how bloody desperate must a news channel/site like this be to use a story like this, it happens all the time its nothing new, why should people start caring now. All this article did is defame jagex and encourage people to break the rules since he still isn't banned and since the news agency is so full of idiots that they found the part on the jagex site that says "we aim to return lost accounts" and that advertising websites is against the rules, while they completely ignore the rwt rule because it would mean they couldn't use this story.

there have been other articles here these days that really should have not been in the newspapers as it just gives people who got into a really bad situation through their stupidity, get a lot of fame and support from it which frankly they don't deserve (talking about that 13 year old in uk btw) (this part was a rant about media in general, nothing to do with rs)

How about instead of sarcasm, you respond to the points I raised?

I did respond to the points you raised, you're calling macroers real world traders when the fact is macroing =/= real world trading (otherwise why are they 2 separate rules?). I'm still standing by my statement of real world trading doesn't have consequences, macroing and using fake credit cards does.

Also, how the hell am I even close to being on a moral high horse? I'm here trying to defend rule breakers, whereas you guys are the ones insinuating how much better you are than rule breakers and that all rule breakers are bad regardless (so if anything, YOU are on a moral high horse).

And Nick, yes I did read your post ... I just disagree with you. People buying in-game wealth with real world money doesn't affect you, macroers affect you.