Are parent too harsh on Jagex? or misunderstood?

kill2pleasure

They should do a "Tip.it Speaks Out" followup article :lol: We seem to have some very strong opinions in here.

Posted Image

- 99 fletching | 99 thieving | 99 construction | 99 herblore | 99 smithing | 99 woodcutting -

- 99 runecrafting - 99 prayer - 125 combat - 95 farming -

- Blog - DeviantART - Book Reviews & Blog

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wish the news station would have done their research more...

Instead they've made fools of themselves. >_<

http://www.abc15.com/content/news/inves ... lekJw.cspx

^ Text version of the report if anyone missed it earlier.

Last year, a Dutch court took virtual crime seriously. They sentenced two teens to community service for stealing imaginary armor on RuneScape

Oh man like a slap in the face :lol:

Zamuraii.png

Zamuraii.png

zamuraii.png

Last year, a Dutch court took virtual crime seriously. They sentenced two teens to community service for stealing imaginary armor on RuneScape

Oh man like a slap in the face :lol:

Wait... my country's law actually did something RIGHT?

Welp, seems like the Apocalypse is setting in. You might want to put a paper bag over your head and lay on the floor. Sure, it won't do anything, but you can do it if you want to.

Valten_1.png

I wonder how many times he's been looked up on the highscores lately. :P

As stated above:

a. Shoulda had a bank pin

b. Shoulda known better then to navigate to a site like that

c. Shoulda known not to enter his pass on said site

d. Shoulda known about RWT rules

etc. etc.

He has somewhat substantial stats, 24m xp total, enough to have been still playing when the Anti-RWT/Bot campaign began. Unless he was taking a break from the game (entirely unlikely after watching the news clip) he should have known about the heavy enforcement over RWT at Jagex HQ.

*Uses opportunity to rally support for taking a common sense quiz before being allowed to play rs*

It shows that they have no idea what they're doing. The fact that they are upset because their (11 year old) son got hacked of all his ill-begotten goods is laughable.

The fact that so many people here don't have the simple human decency to have a little compassion for a kid who's been cheated out of his time and money is sickening.

Qeltar, aka Charles Kozierok

Webmaster, RuneScoop - Premium RuneScape Information for Expert Players -- Now Free!

Featuring the Ultimate Guide to Dungeoneering -- everything you need to know to get the most of the new skill!

signew2.png

It shows that they have no idea what they're doing. The fact that they are upset because their (11 year old) son got hacked of all his ill-begotten goods is laughable.

The fact that so many people here don't have the simple human decency to have a little compassion for a kid who's been cheated out of his time and money is sickening.

Its because:

A: It wasn't his money, it was his family's who were stupid enough to trust an 11 year old with $140 online

B: All the items he got were gotten against the rules of the game

C: He cheated, we don't like cheaters.

Want to be my friend? Look under my name to the left<<< and click the 'Add as friend' button!

zqXeV.jpg

Big thanks to Stevepole for the signature!^

Its because:

A: It wasn't his money, it was his family's who were stupid enough to trust an 11 year old with $140 online

B: All the items he got were gotten against the rules of the game

C: He cheated, we don't like cheaters.

+1

we would care if he got his items legally, meaning working for the money. not asking for actual RL money to buy stuff from RWT'ers...we would care if he was hacked and he was a respectable player. but we dont because he cheated in the first place

modmarkl.jpg
~ 3,072nd to 99 Mining on August 30th, 2009 ~
~ 112,084th to 99 Magic on April 16th, 2011 ~

~ 131,681st to 99 Crafting on March 29, 2019 ~

~ 178,385th to 99 Prayer on April 2, 2019 ~

~ 234,921st to 99 Defence on May 9, 2019 ~

~ 173,480th to 99 Herblore on June 21, 2019 ~

~ 155,160th to 99 Smithing on July 16, 2019 ~

Its because:

Bullpuckey. I've seen these threads before, and they are ALWAYS filled with the usual "blame the victim" BS.

RWT'ing was wrong. Doesn't change the fact that he was still a KID who got abused online. It is not "laughable", it is really quite sad. But not as sad as the wretches on this thread. I can only hope they do the species a favor and never reproduce.

And it was money he got for Christmas, which he could have used for something else. It WAS his money.

Webmaster, RuneScoop - Premium RuneScape Information for Expert Players -- Now Free!

Featuring the Ultimate Guide to Dungeoneering -- everything you need to know to get the most of the new skill!

signew2.png

Its because:

Bullpuckey. I've seen these threads before, and they are ALWAYS filled with the usual "blame the victim" BS.

RWT'ing was wrong. Doesn't change the fact that he was still a KID who got abused online. It is not "laughable", it is really quite sad.

And it was money he got for Christmas, which he could have used for something else. It WAS his money.

how about this....

a kid kills his mom.

he knows what hes doing is wrong.

it was his mom.

do u feel bad for the kid? does the fact that it was his mom make it ok?

murder is bad. because it was his own mom, it doesnt make it ok.

RWT is bad. because it was his own money, it doesnt make it ok.

modmarkl.jpg
~ 3,072nd to 99 Mining on August 30th, 2009 ~
~ 112,084th to 99 Magic on April 16th, 2011 ~

~ 131,681st to 99 Crafting on March 29, 2019 ~

~ 178,385th to 99 Prayer on April 2, 2019 ~

~ 234,921st to 99 Defence on May 9, 2019 ~

~ 173,480th to 99 Herblore on June 21, 2019 ~

~ 155,160th to 99 Smithing on July 16, 2019 ~

how about this....

How about this -- stick to the topic if you can't come up with non-ridiculous analogies.

And yes, I would feel sorry for any kid who killed his parent, because it would only happen if there was something seriously wrong with him.

signew2.png

Its because:

RWT'ing was wrong. Doesn't change the fact that he was still a KID who got abused online. It is not "laughable", it is really quite sad. But not as sad as the wretches on this thread. I can only hope they do the species a favor and never reproduce.

I'm not sure about you, but smart parents keep track of a kid's money when its that much. Hell, my parents kept track when i spent £10 when i was 11, the parents were idiotic to let him go off with the money they gave him. And the kid blatantly ignored the numerous warnings around rs against RWT'ing and entering your password around the internet, I'm not feeling sorry for somebody when its 100% the victim and his family's fault.

Want to be my friend? Look under my name to the left<<< and click the 'Add as friend' button!

zqXeV.jpg

I'm not sure about you, but smart parents keep track of a kid's money when its that much.

And it's the kid's fault if the parents aren't smart?

Hell, my parents kept track when i spent £10 when i was 11, the parents were idiotic to let him go off with the money they gave him. And the kid blatantly ignored the numerous warnings around rs against RWT'ing and entering your password around the internet, I'm not feeling sorry for somebody when its 100% the victim and his family's fault.

Then you're a cretin just like all the other people on this thread who are incapable of feeling any empathy for a kid who gets cheated out of hundreds of dollars.

Stop playing RS for a while and grow a soul. You may need it later.

signew2.png

Then you're a cretin just like all the other people on this thread who are incapable of feeling any empathy for a kid who gets cheated out of hundreds of dollars.

He got cheated out of hundreds of dollars he used to cheat. If he didn't RWT, i bet he wouldn't have been lead to the site that lad to him getting hacked. He blatently ignored the rules, it was his choice to spend the money on cheating, yeshe should have been stopped, but in the end he decided to cheat, and cheaters get what's coming to them. Maybe next time this kid will stop and think about what he's doing before he does something bad that comes around and kicks him in the arse.

Edit: Theres also a line i find really funny, timmy says 'its YOUR items, and to have someone steal it with no hesitation is just not on'. The items were not his, he had done NO work at all for them, his idiot parents who gave him the money to spend on the game did the work for the money, timmy did f all for them, He lost nothing, its the parents who lost the money.

zqXeV.jpg

If he didn't RWT, i bet he wouldn't have been lead to the site that lad to him getting hacked.

Of course there is absolutely no reason to believe this, you just made it up to justify your unconscionable position. :roll:

signew2.png

If he didn't RWT, i bet he wouldn't have been lead to the site that lad to him getting hacked.

Of course there is absolutely no reason to believe this, you just made it up to justify your unconscionable position. :roll:

I have good reason to beleive it. In 5 years of playing, I've never personally, or heard through various clans of anybody just walking up to another person asking them to join a clan then leading them to a fake rs. (on a side note, the kid makes it sound as if the guy gave him the fake rs ingame, definately not, becuase to do that, the guy would ahve to try and by-pass the chat filter, and the kid would have just typed the url himself normally and not gone to the fake one etc, si im betting the kid either added the guy on msn or went to a fake clan site and went through a link to rs there, that or the kid is lieing his arse off about the whole 'guy' story)

Much more likely, the hacker got the kids name by looking on a RWT site for easy pickings of accounts with too much money for their brain, by that i mean bucket loads of RWT'd items and cash, and not enough smarts to know what not to do relating to rs.

zqXeV.jpg

He cheated and payed for it. End of story. It really needs no further analysis than that. He knew full well that he was breaking the rules.

As stupid as they were, I only feel bad for the family for losing that money. They could have spent it on something far more worth while than this stupid kid.

LOTRjokesigedition-1.png

Get back here so I can rub your butt.

At this point in RS history there's really no excuse for not knowing that RWT is against the rules and will get you banned. If he was an 11 year old RWT who got banned would you still defend him? The fact that he got hacked is just icing on the irony cake. He was a RWT and either he gets banned and loses his 140 or he gets hacked and loses his 140. Or he doesn't get banned or hacked and there's another RWT'r traipsing about without any consequences, probably leading him to RWT again. This outcome is the most karmic possible. Not only did he lose his misbegotten goods, a hacker also got banned out of this. If he weren't hacked, he would have been banned and then that hacking site would still be up, probably getting someone else much less deserving before its discovery

To anyone who has an opinion in this matter:

Bottom line:

This kid and his guardian claim he was "so good at the game"; "People ask him for help." Meaning, there is no way this kid didn't know the strict rules of RWT. Therefore, ya, it's people like him, the gold-buyers, who are ruining this game. Karma is a [bleep]...

But ya, I feel bad for any 11 year old kid who gets there account hacked; I would also say he deserved it.

bike.png

Suggest a poll for Tip.it - Here!

I for one would of felt half bad for the kid if he hadnt of cheated. Its the fact he likely didnt earn what he lost ingame honestly. The fact he didnt either read the rules or decided to ignore them is. I would feel worse for the guardian losing their cash if it wasnt for the fact they are a grown adult who should of educated themselve better of the rules. Its fairly obvious to most people that rwt is cheating and although its debatable if he knew or not he was still cheating. Then theres ofcourse the guardian who didnt check the rules. Its one thing for them to not check the rules.. Its another thing to not check the rules then go on TV humiliating themselves by admitting they helped their child cheat. Aiding real life criminal activity.

Not mentioning the news team that decided to stick up for the cheater? Making idiots of themselves focusing the hate towards jagex.

No sympathy. I played other great games before that have gone to hell due to rwt. It makes multi player gameplay impossible for the honest players or atleast severely removes the enjoyment from the game. Jagex are a company that choose to make this game fair for the honest players and considering the amount of effort gone into it lately I hope this child is banned for rwt. I hope the guardian goes through the efforts to read the rules etc. Explaining to that child what he did was wrong and deserved to lose those items he didnt earn to begin with. Next time he can put the effort into his account if he wants to play with the rust of us honest players.

This is purely my opinion but I feel he knew what he was doing to begin with so my sympathy goes to the next 'honest' player who gets 'hacked' losing items they earnt. Even if he didnt know it was his responsibility to check the rules. (He wishes to play then he must play by the rules whatever his age.) Jagex do the best they can so this news team passing hate onto them is rather despicable of them.

I understand Qeltar's point, but I'm still don't have much sympathy for him, especially after the great lengths Jagex went through to educate people against RWT (and prevent it).

Sure, hacking is a terrible reality in RuneScape, but it is much better to prevent something (don't RWT and give out information) than deal with it once it has been done.

Most of what I would say now has already been said ;)

Want to help the Tip.It Crew? Visit the Website Updates & Corrections forum!

You people -- I use the term loosely -- just don't get it.

I am not defending this kid's behavior. I am criticizing yours.

It doesn't matter that he did something wrong. It doesn't change the fact that it's a bloody 11 year old kid who got cheated out of a lot of time and money. It's NOT funny.

You all act so high and mighty because the kid RWTed. Of course, none of YOU ever cheat at a game, right? Or bend the rules a little in some other activities?

Everyone here's a goddamned saint. Nobody's ever sped while driving, or cheated a bit on a homework assignment, or taken a substance that's, uh... not quite legal. Nobody here ever drank any alcohol before age 21. Right?

And gee, if anyone does ANYTHING wrong they they TOTALLY deserve EVERYTHING that happens to them. Right?

I wonder how you self-righteous jerks would behave in other comparable situations.

John's going 55 in a 45 zone. He hits a patch of ice and slides off the road, totalling the car he spent two years saving to buy.

"Ha ha! What a loser! He deserved it because he was speeding!"

Joe goes to a party and has a couple of beers. He's only 19. His friend decides to drive him home and they get in an accident. Joe is paralyzed from the waist down.

"Serves him right! He shouldn't have been drinking before he turned 21."

Mary goes jogging late at night at the park. She's jumped by a masked man and sexually assaulted.

"What a noob! Everyone know you shouldn't go in the park at night!"

Grow up. All of you.

signew2.png

[hide=]

You people -- I use the term loosely -- just don't get it.

I am not defending this kid's behavior. I am criticizing yours.

It doesn't matter that he did something wrong. It doesn't change the fact that it's a bloody 11 year old kid who got cheated out of a lot of time and money. It's NOT funny.

You all act so high and mighty because the kid RWTed. Of course, none of YOU ever cheat at a game, right? Or bend the rules a little in some other activities?

Everyone here's a goddamned saint. Nobody's ever sped while driving, or cheated a bit on a homework assignment, or taken a substance that's, uh... not quite legal. Nobody here ever drank any alcohol before age 21. Right?

And gee, if anyone does ANYTHING wrong they they TOTALLY deserve EVERYTHING that happens to them. Right?

I wonder how you self-righteous jerks would behave in other comparable situations.

John's going 55 in a 45 zone. He hits a patch of ice and slides off the road, totalling the car he spent two years saving to buy.

"Ha ha! What a loser! He deserved it because he was speeding!"

Joe goes to a party and has a couple of beers. He's only 19. His friend decides to drive him home and they get in an accident. Joe is paralyzed from the waist down.

"Serves him right! He shouldn't have been drinking before he turned 21."

Mary goes jogging late at night at the park. She's jumped by a masked man and sexually assaulted.

"What a noob! Everyone know you shouldn't go in the park at night!"

Grow up. All of you.

[/hide]

Whoah calm down. I don't think all of your analogies really work. But putting that aside -

I'm not saying he "deserved what he got," etc., but I still do not have any sympathy for him. I mean, this kid broke the RuneScape rules. He had an unfair advantage over legitimate players by RWTing. So he breaks the rules, then he gets upset when another kid breaks the rules. To me that sounds like he doesn't care about rule-breaking as long as it doesn't negatively affect him. But once he's the victim, it's a terrible crime? I'm not saying that I'm proud of the scammer for stealing all his items, etc., but I do not think that this kid has a good reason to complain. The parents are completely ignorant in this situation too. They are acting like this is a huge criminal offense and that Jagex is a terrible company for letting people get away with this. But these parents have no idea how difficult it is to verify that someone scammed another player. It's hard to collect enough evidence to back up a claim like that. The parents are making a huge deal out of this and are trying to target Jagex when it's not their fault whatsoever.

Yes, the kid is young, and I can sort of sympathize with him for falling for a scam because of his age/ignorance. I fell for one when I was younger too (not on RuneScape). Identifying scam sites is not common sense when you're that young. But that doesn't change the fact that it is HIS fault. Rather than try to blame Jagex for it, he should learn from this and accept that he made a mistake and try to grow from that.

So yes, I do feel bad for him for being scammed. But because he's making such a huge deal out of it and acting like he's such a victim and is trying to pin this on Jagex AND given the fact that he is also a rule-breaker, I do not sympathize with him. I know that probably makes zero sense, because one minute I say I do sympathize with him and the next I'm saying something totally different, but I don't know how else to put it. I guess, if you look at the fact that he was scammed all by itself without taking the rest of the story into consideration, I feel bad for him. But once you factor in everything else, my sympathy disappears.

Posted Image

- 99 fletching | 99 thieving | 99 construction | 99 herblore | 99 smithing | 99 woodcutting -

- 99 runecrafting - 99 prayer - 125 combat - 95 farming -

- Blog - DeviantART - Book Reviews & Blog