Why private servers?

Ax600

Ive made 2 private servers \' their lots of fun, especially if you have the servers that are exactly like real RS today even with d claws! :thumbsup:

Still wondering about how one would even go about doing that...

You have access to the client, which holds model data and textures.

You have access to the server, which allows integration of your models and textures.

You also have access to Jagex cache files located on your computer, which again, hold model data and textures.

So what CAN'T you do?

Give it enough time, a big/skilled enough team, and the right programs, and you got Runescape 3.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ive made 2 private servers \' their lots of fun, especially if you have the servers that are exactly like real RS today even with d claws! :thumbsup:

Still wondering about how one would even go about doing that...

You have access to the client, which holds model data and textures.

You have access to the server, which allows integration of your models and textures.

You also have access to Jagex cache files located on your computer, which again, hold model data and textures.

So what CAN'T you do?

Give it enough time, a big/skilled enough team, and the right programs, and you got Runescape 3.

The only problem is that coders that good probably won't consider endlessly coding a MMORPG just so they can give the source away for free.

Majority of the people making them are just leechers copying and pasting codes from one server to another.

oversized.jpg[/bads]

That is what I was wondering.

I'm no expert but I didn't think that what they leave on your computer is substantial enough to copy/build a new server from, especially one in HD that can actually run...

2dgucz6.png

i tried hosting one once

It was pretty good with godswords and dragonfire shield / special attacks

didn't host in the end though becuase of people attacking private severs will spam all the time.

Check it out, huge amount of effort has gone into this massive mod!

ODG6e0M.png

[hide=old sig]

newsig.png

[/hide]

Anyway, I'd recommend that anyone curious about private servers check YouTube first. The examples shown there are not too terrific...

Those are mady by the people described as "to lazy to get their money and levels on the real rs", but all the really good non-spawning servers don't have a lot of videos on youtube.

People who fail at the real game can do what they want without putting any work into it.

QFT.

A lot of banned players and lazy players who desire moar runescape will go to private servers to try to enjoy more entertainment without working for it. It's quite sad and I hope that all the private server owners get sued for copyright infringment.

Why do people play video games to work. Doesn't that defeat the whole purpose of playing videos games? People just use private servers to use objects and skills that would otherwise take a very long time of grinding just to get. And yet some of you in this thread feel as if it's a crime. Don't tell me you've never used a cheat code in a video game before just kicks and giggles.

awesomeaa9.png

building you own private server is a good way to see how runescape works, and also how coding in java looks like. But every server owner takes a risk once it goes public. They have the potential to sue, which really sucks. And if im not correct, Runescape is based in england. That would be international copyright infringement

And when you make a private server, your not nessesarily forced to give away source. Because if all games worked that way, we'd have to download runescape. (not a bad idea, seeing a my internets slow :thumbsup: )

But building a private server is a pain in the ___. Then after you make the server yours you still have to go through and clear out bugs. After a while, you will have to send people the source so they can help you.

Private servers are fun, but they dont outweigh the no-benefits (bleh i killed that word)

If you dont believe this post, go build a server. Try it. See how long it takes. If you've done it before, or found a tut, dont.

Excuses are tools of incompetence that builds monuments of nothingness. Those who specialize in excuses never accomplish anything.
If the world does end on December 21, 2012, I want to be doing hot stuff with Megan Fox and/or playing Runescape :D

Private servers are illegal, this topic should be locked.

im pretty sure this topic isnt locked because its about how private servers are bad, not saying "hey, you know what would be a good thing for you to do RiGHT NOW? Go build a server..."

No, i am saying in my previous post to TRY and build one and see the time being wasted.

Anyway I emailed Jagex about what they do to people who are running a private server. Waiting for a reply. bear with me

Excuses are tools of incompetence that builds monuments of nothingness. Those who specialize in excuses never accomplish anything.
If the world does end on December 21, 2012, I want to be doing hot stuff with Megan Fox and/or playing Runescape :D

Maybe as an Intro to higher level capabilities, Jagex should run their own version.

Call it "Runescape Express trial", and have everything available, but everyone will be "Guestnnnn" and scores not kept. Any quest available without prerequisites etc.

One golden rule, of course, if you ever use a private server, then do not use your registered username and pass, as it could be stolen if the private server owner chose to.

I'm sure we all know the major name of server M----scape - and it ain't Mechscape, and it runs around the net keeping one step ahead of attempts to check it - good luck to the M!

It's a way for noobs to pretend that they actually have the patience to get a 99 skill. Also a way to laugh at the ridiculous speed with which you get 99's before going back to the real thing.

MR. OCTOPUS BEARD DISAGREES!

30259it.jpgNo, THAT's what she said.

Wanna know how to keep an idiot busy? Read below.

Wanna know how to keep an idiot busy? Read above.

[hide=OMG DRAGON KITESHIELD IN-GAME!!!!]rickrollad5.png

Never gonna give you up...[/hide]

I cant use a chair, evidence that Lucien's men are sitting on them.

I myself play on a Private Server, for both RSC and Todays Modern HD Runescape. I dont do it for fancy levels because as said, theres no real acheivement in that, its just for fun. I learned how Jagex alter levels, spawn items, create NPCs, Animations etc. To me its like exploring the Back-Bone of Runescape.....With a Level 1 Character Summoning a Rune Minotuar. :lol:

EDIT: Its also good for Jad practising, all I do is use commands to altar my levels to my RS ones, use armor i can afford on RS and trial it. (Same with other bosses)

Popoto.~<3

Runescape private servers are the failure of MMO private servers.

They're a big bucket of crispy fried failure.

In the case of reviving old, dead MMO's like Asheron's Call or Helbreath, I even respect those GM's running the server. The owner no longer has any potential to turn a real profit from the games, they are old and outdated & the official servers are permanently down, but the community still likes them.

What about RSC? Supply and demand just don't meet. There are thousands of people who want to try the old version, and only people who played way back can still log into the server (a couple hundred active ones now). That's the primary reason why private servers exist.

Jagex's version is much safer than unstable private RSC servers, just about impossible to cheat or dupe in any longer, the only threat is 'autoers'. Other than that, they could just charge the typical $5 and just let people play it, instead of filing costly lawsuits against students who run those servers for other people's enjoyment. I don't really understand Jagex's motives on this one. They should be only concerned about cash flow.

With maybe 2,000 or more people paying for RSC (about 1% of RS2 paying members), $10k a month might seem like a drop in the ocean, but that would still be $120,000 extra revenue every year in Jagex's pocket. They could even put a disclaimer "no customer support" and run low-end servers, they'd get practically free money just by running RSC to all interested players again.

I myself play on a Private Server, for both RSC and Todays Modern HD Runescape. I dont do it for fancy levels because as said, theres no real acheivement in that, its just for fun. I learned how Jagex alter levels, spawn items, create NPCs, Animations etc. To me its like exploring the Back-Bone of Runescape.....With a Level 1 Character Summoning a Rune Minotuar. :lol:

EDIT: Its also good for Jad practising, all I do is use commands to altar my levels to my RS ones, use armor i can afford on RS and trial it. (Same with other bosses)

Very well put by a mod :P

calzer101.png

Thanks mods I lost all my record of my 99's GF

Runescape private servers are the failure of MMO private servers.

They're a big bucket of crispy fried failure.

In the case of reviving old, dead MMO's like Asheron's Call or Helbreath, I even respect those GM's running the server. The owner no longer has any potential to turn a real profit from the games, they are old and outdated & the official servers are permanently down, but the community still likes them.

What about RSC? Supply and demand just don't meet. There are thousands of people who want to try the old version, and only people who played way back can still log into the server (a couple hundred active ones now). That's the primary reason why private servers exist.

Jagex's version is much safer than unstable private RSC servers, just about impossible to cheat or dupe in any longer, the only threat is 'autoers'. Other than that, they could just charge the typical $5 and just let people play it, instead of filing costly lawsuits against students who run those servers for other people's enjoyment. I don't really understand Jagex's motives on this one. They should be only concerned about cash flow.

With maybe 2,000 or more people paying for RSC (about 1% of RS2 paying members), $10k a month might seem like a drop in the ocean, but that would still be $120,000 extra revenue every year in Jagex's pocket. They could even put a disclaimer "no customer support" and run low-end servers, they'd get practically free money just by running RSC to all interested players again.

i agree with this. They should open RSC, even for at least 2-3 weeks, just to let players experience how the game was played years and years ago.

I tried a private server and liked it, actually. Now I don't really fail at RuneScape-I have a level 93 that I'd been playing for 3.5 years. =p But then somewhere along the line I got really bored of it. I guess the fact that I've always been F2P and wanted to be a member. So instead of paying $5.00, I wanted to try a server. This one and its client has no lag, sweet special attacks, skillcapes, GS, and it's very easy to make money. The interface (around the inventory and on the chatbox) is very similar to the interface we have on the real RuneScape too. I'm poor on the account I have on a server, and poor in real RuneScape too XD (2.3B total value on server, incredibly rich to real RS standards, but in real RuneScape only worth 300K >_>)

RIP RU_Insane. August 3rd, 2005 - November 11th, 2012.
RU_Insane.png

My Stats on Old School RuneScape: 

RU_Insane.png
O4zgH.png
Reform Customer Support
Check Out My Threads UNRoA.gif

I tried a private server and liked it, actually. Now I don't really fail at RS-I have a level 93 that I'd been playing for 3.5 years. =p But then somewhere along the line I got really bored of it. I guess the fact that I've always been F2P and wanted to be a member. So instead of paying $5.00, I wanted to try a server. This one and its client has no lag, sweet special attacks, skillcapes, GS, and it's very easy to make money. The interface (around the inventory and on the chatbox) is very similar to the interface we have on the real RuneScape too. I'm poor on the account I have on a server, and poor in real RS too XD (2.3B total value on server, incredibly rich to real RS standards, but in real RS only worth 300K >_>)

i was kinda in the same situation when i tried my first -.-

EDIT: DEAD FTW?!