Allowance/Pocket Money

Knotch_Blade

I'm 14 and I'm trying to get an allowance from my mom/dad.

I was wondering, as I'm not legally allowed to work, what did you do @ 14 to earn money?

And how much did you earn?

I've read that some parents give 100USD per month to their kin for them to pay for almost everything, buying lunches at school/clothes/yearbooks etc.

My mom says if I do "x" chores she'll buy me stuff, but she never follows through, I'd like to have some control over what I can buy and when I can buy it.

And any ideas on how to get past the "You do chores and I'll buy you what you want" scam?

~Knotch

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm off to bed soon but I just want to say how much I get.

I do nothing and get £5 a week from my grandparents (parents too poor =/) and I'm 17.

I get £2 a day for dinner at college but sometimes I have to pay for that myself out of my own dwindling money, my mum and dad owe me about £60. At 14 I was on about £3 a week and I'm a lazy arse so I did nothing for money.

Lemonade stand? It works in cartoons...

Say 'No, how about you give me suchamanydollars rather than buying me something', try not to fall into the trap. Negotiate your own terms. Fight, WIN!

umilambdaberncgsig.jpg

I edit for the [Tip.It Times]. I rarely write in [My Blog]. I am an [Ex-Moderator].

My parents always bought me necessities (clothes, food, school stuff, etc.) but never gave me money to spend on my own or an allowance. They also buy me things that some people normally buy with allowance money (new phones when mine get old, new camera when mine got old, new computer, iPod, etc.), but there had to be a good reason. I can't just say "Hey that camera lens is hawt, buy it for me!" and they never gave me plain cash. Like indy500fan, I also did a few chores (mostly dishes) but I never got paid for it. But my parents are already very generous with what they buy me, so I'm certainly not complaining.

At 14 the most you can do is really just babysit and walk dogs or something.

Posted Image

- 99 fletching | 99 thieving | 99 construction | 99 herblore | 99 smithing | 99 woodcutting -

- 99 runecrafting - 99 prayer - 125 combat - 95 farming -

- Blog - DeviantART - Book Reviews & Blog

Don't go with the "i'll buy you something later". Get paid cash, then and there. I get $15 every two weeks. I used to do what you do, the "oh, ill buy you something nice sometime" and it never worked out.

Yea, I cleaned the house, washed the car, walked the dog @ 4 am. I got diddly squat.

@indy500fan, Aren't they supposed to clothe, feed, and shelter their children, by law? Did you learn how to budget money in your teen years...

Also, I'm 14, but I'm a freshman, this summer all my friends are working, and I'll be broke while they're out having fun... I need some source of income, but I can't legally work. Honestly, I'd be satisfied working at our local ice cream parlor for just above minimum wage over the summer, but I can't... :(

~Knotch

EDIT: @ Racheya Lol :)

EDIT 2: @ Tripsis yea, I've been trying to get an iPod touch because my first gen iPod mini just broke.

I get things at x-mas/b-day. But my birthday is in October, so it's wait for it... wait for it... Birthday... X-mas... wait...

It's small things like saving up for a Laptop/iPod or buying 1600 MS pts or renewing my XBL subscription that I want to be able to do myself, without the hassle of my parents. :XD:

EDIT 3 (ROFL): Yea, I wish I could get a job

I don't get allowance, however my parents generally don't make me pay for much, like lunches and clothes, within a limit. Personally, I'd rather they do the opposite, give me allowance and I have to pay for it myself, would actually teach me the value of money -.-

There's no such thing as regret. A regret means you are unhappy with the person you are now,

and if you're unhappy with the person you are, you change yourself. That

regret will no longer be a regret, because it will help to form the new,

better you. So really, a regret isn't a regret.

It's experience.

Every since 13 I've had part time jobs so I make around 300-400$/month. Last time i got allowance was many, many months ago although if I need something (food, cloth etc.) my parents buy it for me.

Also it's not hard to get a job at 14, just go to Mcdonalds they hire anyone, if you're over 13.

Every since 13 I've had part time jobs so I make around 300-400$/month. Last time i got allowance was many, many months ago although if I need something (food, cloth etc.) my parents buy it for me.

Also it's not hard to get a job at 14, just go to Mcdonalds they hire anyone, if you're over 13.

I doubt it, not with the strict labor laws on sub 16 year olds.
hopesolopatriot.jpg

The sophomore class (15-16) has over 700 people. There are very few places where I can work. I've tried. :)

~Knotch

@Laura +1 :)

Legal working age in Canada is I believe, however there is a certain amount of time your allowed to work/eek. I think its 20 hrs/week. Anyways. Go into stores, ask if they need someone to do something simple, such as sweep floors or (as i've seen, once) fold pizza boxes into shape. Find something like that. Most people don't work withmoney, or somtimes even people untel around age 15. anyways, research legal working age around your area, you never know. I wouldn't rely on allowance, if I were you.

Parents are annoying like this. I have like 1k (1.5k if you count what my Dad owed me and gave my brother to give me, but "mysteriously dissappeared" when my brother had it.)

The main reason is that parents want you to go to college. [bleep]ing expensive as that is.

LOTRjokesigedition-1.png

Get back here so I can rub your butt.

@ almost everyone :P; I ask my parents to pay for [something] and they won't do it, however I ask to earn money, and I don't get paid. I try to work, I'm too young.

May I ask what grade you're in and what your goals are, in order to give you a more specific opinion?

I'm a Freshman in High School, 9th grade. However, I'm a year younger, but a hell of a lot more mature than most people in my class.

My goals are to be able to go out to the movies/dinner with my friends/girlfriend and buy small things; i.e. new shoes, or top-"Knotch" soccer cleats :XD: or buy an iTunes or Microsoft Points card from my local grocery.

But I have some larger goals, my parents are divorced, so I can't ask for large gifts i.e. laptop for my birthday/xmas because they have split incomes (actually my dad pays for both him and my mom/siblings, until January of next year, regardless she gets a legal allowance from him.) So I want to be able to save up to buy a decent laptop, not a MacBook but not a uber bad one either. For example if they were set in levels "Easy" "Medium" "Expert" I'd go for medium. I also want to upgrade my slowly failing 1st gen iPod mini to an iTouch. I can ask for cash for my birthday to push me to goals, but I can't ask for the gift itself.

Our local community college does a daycare thing in the summer, where they take "camp-like" classes and I can work there for a few grand next summer, but I can only volunteer there this summer, even though I have friends who'll work there this year. :(

Hope this helps you guys in aiding my situation. :)

~Knotch

Try doing online surveys for cash, i have no idea if they rally work, though.

That's actually a fair idea; I'd suggest sending IGoddessI a PM if you're interested in learning how (I believe she's mentioned having had some success in pursuing those).

Interested in helping the Tip.It Crew?

Check out our Website Updates & Corrections Board!

Fey_Wanderer.png

I used to mow lawns and shovel drive-ways when I was 14/15 :)

Texas, everyone uses cheap mexican labour, and it doesn't snow. :)

~Knotch

Hah, been there, done that.
@ almost everyone :P; I ask my parents to pay for [something] and they won't do it, however I ask to earn money, and I don't get paid. I try to work, I'm too young.

May I ask what grade you're in and what your goals are, in order to give you a more specific opinion?

I'm a Freshman in High School, 9th grade. However, I'm a year younger, but a hell of a lot more mature than most people in my class.

My goals are to be able to go out to the movies/dinner with my friends/girlfriend and buy small things; i.e. new shoes, or top-"Knotch" soccer cleats :XD: or buy an iTunes or Microsoft Points card from my local grocery.

But I have some larger goals, my parents are divorced, so I can't ask for large gifts i.e. laptop for my birthday/xmas because they have split incomes (actually my dad pays for both him and my mom/siblings, until January of next year, regardless she gets a legal allowance from him.) So I want to be able to save up to buy a decent laptop, not a MacBook but not a uber bad one either. For example if they were set in levels "Easy" "Medium" "Expert" I'd go for medium. I also want to upgrade my slowly failing 1st gen iPod mini to an iTouch. I can ask for cash for my birthday to push me to goals, but I can't ask for the gift itself.

Our local community college does a daycare thing in the summer, where they take "camp-like" classes and I can work there for a few grand next summer, but I can only volunteer there this summer, even though I have friends who'll work there this year. :(

~Knotch

Being a Freshman, would advise not getting a job. This mainly goes for part time jobs, as I can't see mowing a lawn or shoveling a driveway getting in the way of school, but other types of jobs do. Well, you may think, "It's not as if I'm doing anything in my free time anyways," or "I'm going to have to sacrifice somethings in order to fit my job, but I believe the benefits outweigh the negatives." I've also been though that - getting a job as a freshman - and it didn't work out so well. I, like yourself, wanted to spend my own money with my friends and on material investments which I could call toys; something I wanted rather than needed. But I quickly saw that my grades were beginning to decrease. Yet, my time before a job was spent freely and outside, the last of which studying. So I asked myself, "What changed? Why did my grades go down?" I'm not sure I have the answer but I think I spent a bit to much time in class calculating my savings and the materials that followed. That said, I wouldn't advise getting a job until you're past your freshman year. But I'm certainly not going to deter you from leaning such a value as effort and I am not going to question your circumstances. :)

Right now you're in the borderline of ages acceptable in the workplace. Because legally you're allowed to work at any non-agricultural job (which I just noted because I think you can work agriculturally at a younger age, though I am unsure) yet some employers refuse to hire teenagers under sixteen years of age. So go local, as others suggested. Put up fliers with your number telling others that you'll mow their lawn, fix their computers, walk their dogs, wash their cars, powerwash their driveways, paint their houses, fix their roofs, wash their animals, or whatever else you can come up with. I picked fruit at a local plantation at that age, which by the way, I got fired from for throwing fruit with another guy, solving my grade issues.

If you're just trying to get around your mom, ask to sit down and talk with her about your situation. Or more manipulative, tell her that you see into her game of tease and free labor (heh). :P

hopesolopatriot.jpg

I used to mow lawns and shovel drive-ways when I was 14/15 :)

Texas, everyone uses cheap mexican labour, and it doesn't snow. :)

~Knotch

Hah, been there, done that.

~Knotch

Being a Freshman, would advise not getting a job. This mainly goes for part time jobs, as I can't see mowing a lawn or shoveling a driveway getting in the way of school, but other types of jobs do. Well, you may think, "It's not as if I'm doing anything in my free time anyways," or "I'm going to have to sacrifice somethings in order to fit my job, but I believe the benefits outweigh the negatives." I've also been though that - getting a job as a freshman - and it didn't work out so well. I, like yourself, wanted to spend my own money with my friends and on material investments which I could call toys; something I wanted rather than needed. But I quickly saw that my grades were beginning to decrease. Yet, my time before a job was spent freely and outside, the last of which studying. So I asked myself, "What changed? Why did my grades go down?" I'm not sure I have the answer but I think I spent a bit to much time in class calculating my savings and the materials that followed. That said, I wouldn't advise getting a job until you're past your freshman year. But I'm certainly not going to deter you from leaning such a value as effort and I am not going to question your circumstances. :)

Right now you're in the borderline of ages acceptable in the workplace. Because legally you're allowed to work at any non-agricultural job (which I just noted because I think you can work agriculturally at a younger age, though I am unsure) yet some employers refuse to hire teenagers under sixteen years of age. So go local, as others suggested. Put up fliers with your number telling others that you'll mow their lawn, fix their computers, walk their dogs, wash their cars, powerwash their driveways, paint their houses, fix their roofs, wash their animals, or whatever else you can come up with. I picked fruit at a local plantation at that age, which by the way, I got fired from for throwing fruit with another guy, solving my grade issues.

If you're just trying to get around your parents, ask to sit down and talk with them about your situation. Or more manipulative, tell them that you see into their game of tease and free labor (heh).

Haha, I'll try that. Thanks Laura. :)

Btw, I like the new haircut. ;)

~Knotch

Never had an allowance or job in my life, yet pay for most of my things myself (clothes, lunch money, games) through frequent poker games at a friend's house. $20 buy-in, two tables of six initially, $160-60-20 payout. Why get a part-time job when you can make money doing something you love? :)

Thanks for removing my post kindly asking him to stop posting "~Knotch" at the end of his post. I see my error and now have on of my own.

What does a 14 year old need with money anyway? I lived with an old phone and a semi-good computer. Girlfriends are not supposed to cost money until 15-16.

~Pureprayer says people who put their forum user at the end of their posts are idiots. You have a signature for a reason. Its annoying.

image.pl?URL=171577-4798

hatzyv.png

Pureprayer, you're awesome.