Love�s power and influence over the Media

trapical

This is not a duplicate thread! I though Id try something different, sure in the past I did ten threads in ten days... but I have never done two sister threads at the same time. I don't mean to spam the forum with multiple threads, and in actuality the two threads are totally separate topics, they just share a background theme. Here I present some interesting observations, and even a mashed mp3 that I'm hosting \', while the other thread is a campfire or sorts to share amusing personal stories around. I hope you enjoy them both ::'

A little while ago my roommate broke up with his fiance, it was pretty awkward for me since I had been friends with both of them for the past 8 years. By far the most awkward part of it all though was about an hour after it happened. He wanted me to drive him to the liqueur store about five miles away. He didnt feel like talking so I turned on the radio. Well, chance has it that Sean Kingstons Beautiful Girl was playing on the radio station. I quickly changed stations to save my friend the ordeal of hearing the word love every 10 seconds.

Problem was the next radio station had another song about love, and so did the next one, and. actually, here, I split together this MP3 to show you what those 3 minutes seemed like. Really, just sit back and listen for 2 minutes and imagine that you were listening to this in my situation as I went through radio stations with a heartbroken friend in the next seat.

>>Click to hear "Trap's Love Mash" <<

mirror: here

Haha, Im not kidding, I was changing radio stations for a good 2 minutes or so and songs like those were all that came up. Finally as I changed stations from What is love to love shack my roommate just burst out laughing until he was out of breath. It was great, the situation was so absurd it was hilarious. It did make me realize just how many songs have love/relationship themes to them though. I mean, I always knew it was a lot, but man it is a lot

Anyway, hope you enjoyed my little mp3 rehash. I had fun making that, and thought the Brian clip from Family Guy was fitting to tack on the end. It really is quite easy to pick up a love theme in just about any song you hear on todays radio. But thats the music business for you I guess. Anyway, the thread title said media, so we need to take a look at movies as well. We all know tons of movies have hot women in them that the main character almost always gets, and we all know that the majority of movies have some sort of love theme in them. But what if I told you that the percentage of movies with love in them isnt just over 50% it is quite possibly at 100%.

Thats right, I want to make the statement that 100% of movies have a love theme in them. Sounds farfetched? Anyone else think of the Pokemon when you hear the word Farfetched? Gah, anyway, lets test this theory, but first we need two ground rules. When I say movie I mean a movie big enough to be in national cinemas, not some little obscure independent film (which are often great movies but thats besides the point). Second off, Im going to define a love theme as any of the three following acts: Romance; one character clearly fantasizing about another, even if they never hook up; family love (defined as a father or mother showing or acting on love for their family, lastly we have love for a child, defined in Oliver Twist type movies where a stranger will go out of their way and kindness to help some kid. You might not think these are all defined as love but oh well, I say they are :P

Alright, now I am going to do my best to pick 5 totally random movies. Lets go with Bourne Identity Finding Nemo Aliens... MomentoLOTR Liar Liar and A Knights Tale. There, well thats six or seven but whatever, that works. For starters we have Bourn Identity, thats an easy one, he meets a German girl and they have a little fling before he sends her away to safety. Lord of the Rings has several love plots that are prominent. Momento, a movie about a guy with amnesia, the plot is about him trying to get revenge on the man who killed the love of his life. Aliens, a nice scary movie from about 20 years ago. I dont remember much about this movie, but I do recall the main character donning a mechano suit to fight a huge alien in order to protect a little girl--Bam, thats love for a child. Next up: Finding Nemo ha ha, too easy, Nemos dad swam across to ocean to find him. Liar Liar comedy about Jim Carrey not being able to lie for a day, and about him trying to prevent his ex-wife from taking his son Max away from him (aww). Finally we have A Knights Tale, oh come on now, *yawn* also too easy, I need to pick harder movies.

But thats my point, you cant pick harder movies. Try it yourself, look at big box office films, look at scary movies, look at comedies, look at manly action movies. They all have elements of love. Why is this? Why cant a guy go see a movie about someone with guns who kills people and blows up cars without women and love getting in the way of the non stop action? I mean, last night I rented Body of Lies with DiCapprio and Russel Crow, a very good CIA/Iraq war flick that is quite realistic compared to 99% of action movies out there today. Anyway the story was rolling, the intel was going on, G36s were shooting at terrorists, they showed Langley was getting all into it, and bam, a romance appears out of nowhere between Leonardo DiCapprio and some Iranian Nurse. It was so out of place it was like seeing Sherlock Holmes appear as a character in a Tom Clancy novel, it was ridiculous. Likewise, you would think movies like Texas Chainsaw Massacure would be movies solely made to scare the crap out of people yet they manage to squeeze romance in there somewhere in between the heads getting chopped off. Its comical.

Some may ask for the point/intention of this thread, I dont know really. I just found it pretty weird how one theme can be so ingrained into everything we watch and listen too. I mean, it is everywhere. I have nothing against it, its just kind of strange when you step back and think about it.

2003676992682512083_rs.jpg

Omg, trapical posted, <3:

The way our society works, love is being portrayed as the key element of life which is not always true. Many oversee this and live happy, fulfilling lives without love and that's totally fine.

And I must agree with you on almost every single song out there today is about love, it's incredibly annoying.

^Then why not read it before posting?

Anyways, Good post, I will be reading the other thread right after this post.

I personally feel that it is impossible for 'love' to stay out of the media, mainly because it is such a big part of our lives. Our entire goal in life, as far as our biology is concerned, is to reproduce. As humans we seem to have slapped the label of 'love' on the feelings we have towards each other that boil down to wanting to screw each other. Seeing as how our basic goal in life is to create more life, we would be pursuing that goal everyday, would we not? This would create the situation for love to pop up everyday. In my spare thoughts, when I let my mind linger, usually I end up thinking of someone I have a relationship with, and I would say I am considering 'love'.

Movies and the media are often meant to reflect life. If life revolves around love, I would assume that also means that love would be involved in some way. Sure, there are some examples of media in which love is not involved (As far as I know, some video games do away with love, namely CoD4). Still though, media is also (Hopefully) meant to make us think and dream, and what better thing to dream about than something we gladly do - love.

I agree with you that sometimes it can be a bit frustrating to see love flashing at you with big neon signs around every corner, but it's a part of life, and something we all just have to accept. Now, what I would like to change is the whole concept of the younger imitating the elder, and the elder imitating the younger, and how this is seen as the 'right' thing to do in the media, especially when it comes to love (I am not against teenage sex, however I am against it being force-fed to teenagers).

There's no such thing as regret. A regret means you are unhappy with the person you are now,

and if you're unhappy with the person you are, you change yourself. That

regret will no longer be a regret, because it will help to form the new,

better you. So really, a regret isn't a regret.

It's experience.

It's hard to not include love in media, especially when everybody loves somebody. (love doesn't necessarily have to be the sexually attracted love)

Edit: :lol: @ the 'mash-up'

10postchm2105.png

WONGTONG IS THE BEST AND IS MORE SUPERIOR THAN ME

#1 Wongtong stalker.

Im looking for some No Limit soldiers!

Now that I think about it I went to the radio stations homepage and went to their playlist, many of them have love themes or even the word love in them multiple times. I was thinking though, you remind me a lot of Maddox. Are you him? :?:

You could be =p

Thanks for the meaningful, eventful, good reads yet again.

21ed8x.jpg

Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.

The usage of love in film/art/literature is for two reasons. Obviously it's one of the heights of human experience and it's something everyone can identify with. If it's treated correctly, then you can end up with something special, like Casablanca or For Whom The Bell Tolls (which is an interesting example, as Robert Jordan's love for Maria is both literal and an analogy of Hemingway/Jordan's love for Spain). Alternatively, it's used as a cheap marketing tool, and an easy way to write lyrics or sell tickets.

La lune ne garde aucune rancune.

Recently I've noticed a rise in topics about love.

Many people on my MSN contact list have wrote about love in their status messages (I only have my name, and sometimes a witty comment involving black humor).

More notes on Facebook are written about relationships, more quizzes are being done.

I don't know why, but people are now being more open about this topic.

TIF-SIG-PREVAIL.jpg

IRC Nick: Hiroki | 99 Agility | Max Quest Points | 138 Combat

Bandos drops: 20 Hilt | 22 Chestplate | 21 Tassets | 14 Boots

Yeah, I'm really annoyed about songs about love too. Probally why I started listening to rise agaisnt, I don't think they a single annoying song like that. In fact, the onlysongs I can stand about love are by nickelback.

And when I say "love", I mean that crap on the radio by eminem (spelling?) and whatnot. Only movie that I can't think of without love are movies about how to do something. Then again, I saw a tourguide movie where the little boy hugs his Mom at the end.

EDIT:

Yeah, I'm also annoyed by peoples MSN names that are " ilysfm (Name( <3<3<3"

Recently I've noticed a rise in topics about love.

Many people on my MSN contact list have wrote about love in their status messages (I only have my name, and sometimes a witty comment involving black humor).

More notes on Facebook are written about relationships, more quizzes are being done.

I don't know why, but people are now being more open about this topic.

People get older, people experience more. Yeah, not saying your experience is confined to your age group, but your age group is going to be a large part of it (espcially on MSN).

Yeah, I'm really annoyed about songs about love too. Probally why I started listening to rise agaisnt, I don't think they a single annoying song like that. In fact, the onlysongs I can stand about love are by nickelback.

Saviour? A lot of RA's songs have a deeper meaning. But who cares, RA are god damn awesome.

Some may ask for the point/intention of this thread, I dont know really. I just found it pretty weird how one theme can be so ingrained into everything we watch and listen too. I mean, it is everywhere. I have nothing against it, its just kind of strange when you step back and think about it.

It catches the audiences attention. Love is still a pretty mystical thing for a lot of people, and having it included in a film is another way of getting more viewers. Of course, that's a pretty basic and simple reason and there are undoubtedly many more deeper and interesting ones.

'Tis I, 'tis Vindice, 'tis I!

Love is part of life, a movie often tries to portray a part of life, so it's only normal that love is involved in movies. I don't know why you are so surprised about it. It's not even that important either, if you want to there's always a way to find a love theme in a movie, but that doesn't mean that every movie has got something to say or is about love.

Why cant a guy go see a movie about someone with guns who kills people and blows up cars without women and love getting in the way of the non stop action?

Wouldn't such a movie be a movie with a lack of love? You'd still have the love theme.

It's Memento by the way, not momento.

21o4pav.jpg

Signature by Maurice Sendak

When the stars make you drool just like a pasta fazool, that's amore!

I would walk something something miles.

rofl.

that mp3 pwned hard.

And I would walk 500 miles and then I'd walk 500 more just to be the man who walked 1000 miles to end up at your door. Or something like that. Wait, was that in there? I missed it, I actually like that song.

I see the point, though. I've noticed a few times now that love in some form or another is all over the place in music, almost dominating today's popular music. There may not be a single Kelly Clarkson song in existance that doesn't have something to do with love/a [ex]boyfriend.

whalenuke.png

Command the Murderous Chalices! Drink ye harpooners! drink and swear, ye men that man the deathful whaleboat's bow- Death to Moby Dick!

BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE!

angel2w.gif

I would walk something something miles.

rofl.

that mp3 pwned hard.

And I would walk 500 miles and then I'd walk 500 more just to be the man who walked 1000 miles to end up at your door. Or something like that. Wait, was that in there? I missed it, I actually like that song.

I see the point, though. I've noticed a few times now that love in some form or another is all over the place in music, almost dominating today's popular music. There may not be a single Kelly Clarkson song in existance that doesn't have something to do with love/a [ex]boyfriend.

When I'm working, yes I know I'm gonna be

I'm gonna be the man who's working hard for you.

And when the money, comes in for the work I'll do

I'll pass almost every penny on to you

Yea, it was in there, last 1/3 or so. I did love that song

2003676992682512083_rs.jpg

That mash-up combined with the 90's flashback thread just gave me an incredible nostalgia trip. Even if about half the music isn't form the 90's.

I Would Walk 500 Miles is the third last clip. Then comes the clip from the Little Mermaid followed by the Family Guy clip.

Also, just an after thought to actually contribute, I personally think that it isn't love influencing the media, it's the media using love's influence over us to their advantage. In a way, these threads are about the same thing, just each with a different perspective.

There's no such thing as regret. A regret means you are unhappy with the person you are now,

and if you're unhappy with the person you are, you change yourself. That

regret will no longer be a regret, because it will help to form the new,

better you. So really, a regret isn't a regret.

It's experience.

"Love actually is everywhere" <3:

I guess love is such an integral part of being human it's not surprising it's such a common - essential, even - element of every film, song, TV show, comedy sketch. Something we can all relate to in some way.

Liez, My MSN only has a Poetic Line in German....That isn't love.

OT: Its all starting to turn into "We're in a resession, so lets love each other and forget about it! While your at it, why not buy my latest CD? only $15.99RSP." Honestly we dont need more love pumped into the world, we have things like Cut-Out Cardboard features of James Blunt for that.

Popoto.~<3

The concept of love is an interesting one so the media takes advantage of this intriguing element of life, just like the conflict between good and evil. It really works for people who've experienced or want to experience love because then they can witness an example of what true love is or should be and relate it to their own experiences.

• 4 weeks later...