17th April 2009 - Concept Fairy area improvement

Carl

Nice. Those graphics look great. Hopefully the quests will bring something to do in Zanaris. It's rather dead at the moment. It only has a black dragon cave and a slayer master, pretty much.

1) evil chickens lair (black dragons)

2) puro-puro (implings)

3) fungies (slayer monster)

4) cosmic runes (rc)

5) slayer master

6) fairy ring concept

^^ actually i think zanaris is one of the places that already have enought. what about...*cought*durgeshuun*cought*....

OP: actually great one, enjoyed it very much, hopefully jagex will make more of those :thumbsup:

1. Already named it.

2. Not quite inside Zanaris, it only has the portal, and off you are.

3. Fungies suck.

4. Hardly anyone uses Zanaris to craft the runes. Abyss is the way to go.

5. Already named it.

6. Merely used as a teleport relay. Not actually something you do in Zanaris.

Nice. Those graphics look great. Hopefully the quests will bring something to do in Zanaris. It's rather dead at the moment. It only has a black dragon cave and a slayer master, pretty much.

2) puro-puro (implings)

4) cosmic runes (rc)

5) slayer master

6) fairy ring concept

^^ actually i think zanaris is one of the places that already have enought. what about...*cought*durgeshuun*cought*....

OP: actually great one, enjoyed it very much, hopefully jagex will make more of those :thumbsup:

1. Already named it.

3. Fungies suck.

5. Already named it.

Well, Evil chicken's lair isn't really in Zanaris either then is it? The shrine is, but not the actual lair.

2) puro-puro (implings)

4) cosmic runes (rc)

5) slayer master

6) fairy ring concept

1. Already named it.

3. Fungies suck.

5. Already named it.

Well, Evil chicken's lair isn't really in Zanaris either then is it? The shrine is, but not the actual lair.

Kinda true, yeah.

2) puro-puro (implings)

4) cosmic runes (rc)

5) slayer master

6) fairy ring concept

1. Already named it.

3. Fungies suck.

5. Already named it.

Kinda true, yeah.

1&5. you named it, i didn't :P

2. kinda all activities are not exactly in zanaris, but still brings income to the city. like not all varrock activities are in varrock square...

3. fungies are for ones who use the slayer master. true for the higher slayers of us it's not saying much but don't forget not all are high lvled

4. with high agility to use all shortcuts, and terrorbird, i found this even faster than the abyss. when i crafted there few months ago i did saw people -.-

6. merely? i can bet alot of people use it much more than once a day...i do.

OP: well in ROSF theres some guy answering questions, and mod joe seemed to be sending us some good answers before going on weekend....

post 1:

[hide=]Hi guys,

thanks very much for all your comments - myself and others on the RS team are glad you all find these blogs interesting to read. From our point of view it's really good to give you sneak peeks of what we're working on

With it being Friday afternoon we're all about to leave for the weekend, but I wanted to answer a few questions now while I could...

"Will this "line" of fairy-upgrade-development-diaries been finished before releasing?"

Yes, although we will have finished the concept, modelling and animation stages or art development the project still needs to have code attached and be playtested and QAed. We are hoping to be able to release part 2 in a couple of weeks and part three perhaps two weeks after that. The actual fairy improvements and quest itself will be much further in the future.

"I couldn't ignore the part of the first houses pic to have a little "approved" on side of it, there's anyway we could ever see any "cancelled" or "not approved" projects on Jagex? that could be a very interesting read."

If this is something you guys are interested in we can do our best to tell you more on future dev blogs. A lot of what we do involves trial and error - something that seems like a great idea to begin with often requires either modification (or sometimes a total rework) before we can get it fully working in the game engine.

"One question- It was a bit vague but did it say that the faries would become human-sized? If so, great, should make banking and getting slayer tasks easier "

Okay - to clarify we have made the fairies larger, but they are still not as large as humans as we felt would remove a lot of what makes them unique. If banking is an issue because the npcs are too small to click on there are tips and tricks we have up our sleeves that will help. You may notice that although implings are relatively small their 'clickzone' of where you need to click to activate them is larger than it looks...[/hide]

post 2:

[hide=]"But is it really possible to make it look like it does in the pictures?"

Glad you asked - it's definitely a challenge, but if you play in hardware mode with all your graphical options set to the max we aim to get it as close as possible...

"Do you plan on doing modelling for INSIDE a Fairies dwelling?"

Yes we are (and have done). This is one of the things that will probably be mentioned in the next diary...

"Will there be a wider variety of Fairies? Most of them seem to be the same thing which can get boring."

We are hoping there will be enough variety, I think without checking there are between twenty five and thirty different npcs which feels about right to me.

"Can you talk about the quest? Will we get fairy magics? "

Sadly I can't mention the quest itself...

"I have a qeustion about the other creatures in Zanaris:

are they going to have a different look to? -like the otherwordly being and the mutated zygomites?"

...maybe...

"Really cool Diary and the new look Zanaris looks amazing! Any chance of it being released as a Desktop Wallpaper?"

Sure - if there's a demand then we'd be happy to do a wallpaper.

Thomas154321 - I can tell you that Chaelder *has* been updated

P8dre - We use in-house 3d modelling and animation software to build and animate our meshes (we may go into more detail in the modelling dev blog). Our 2d concept artists all use Adobe Photoshop.

Thanks again for your interest,

Mod_Joe[/hide]

to anyone that want to find it, quick find code is 16-17-236-58701839, the sticky theard on the DD, on page 6.

want_a_box.png

This thing is just wonderful! Especially the many pictures are exactly what I want, visual infotainment! And breathing some new life in a partly-deserted town is also something I like to see. Perfect DD :thumbsup: !

Due to my epic stats, I have now started WGS (but I still hate spoilers).

sighistorian.jpg

The concept pictures look good - but really, anything would have been a vast improvement over that neon nightmare that is now Zanaris.

The only place where grass should be that blue is Kentucky.

PvP is not for me

In the 3rd Year of the Boycott
Real-world money saved since FT/W: Hundreds of Dollars
Real-world time saved since FT/W: Thousands of Hours

The concept pictures look good - but really, anything would have been a vast improvement over that neon nightmare that is now Zanaris.

The only place where grass should be that blue is Kentucky.

kentucky bluegrass isn't actually blue

on topic I really liked this diary, huge step in the right direction.

[hide]

Damnit, I tripped over Magzar's half inflated blow-up doll and hurt myself. I wish he wouldn't leave that thing lying around. -.-

[/hide]

This Diary definitely wipes the floor compared to the recent ones. The concept of Zanaris looks amazing, I can't wait to see its' rendered 3D counterpart.

Very good read, & I can't wait for Fairy Tale Part III. :thumbup:

Only fear God,

Know the weapons of the weak,

The weakness of the hard.

Jagex is going to make them bigger! Yay! How will they do it though? SFGH (Super Fairy Growth hormone)? This way we will get to see their intricate wings! Still waiting for an elven quest! But, to all of Jagex: =D> well done! Best Diary Yet!

It's Easter Time!!!!!!!! Yay!!!!!! Chocolate eggs and ... wait? Bunnys? Nooooooo!!!!!! Why couldn't they take the rabbits?!? Why??????????

Bunnys186.png

=D> =D> <--The art deserves that!

The dairy was good, it's a shame they don't make diaries as interesting as this one when it comes to content...

From experience, I know atleast one of you who read this was going to quote me and say "A new Fairy Tale series?! Now THAT's content!" or something along those lines. I'm not saying it's not a big deal, only that this dairy wasn't around content, it was around artwork and graphics.