Zierro

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No one has said Charles Darwin yet?

My top four:

1) Einstein (he's popular for a reason)

2) Benjamin Franklin (not a president AND on the $100 bill?) And yes I know, lots of other reasons.

3) Charles Darwin

4) Al Gore <3:

ew, why al gore?

For all the previously stated reasons.

like being able to give a video presentation?

awteno.jpg

Orthodoxy is unconciousness

the only ones who should kill are those who are prepared to be killed.

Me, of course...

You know what? As gifted as Einstein was, I think (and I hate to say it) Adolf Hitler was very intelligent, but he used his intelligence for more inhumane things to fix the world rather than make peace with everyone in a good way without all the deaths.

That's my opinion though. You don't have to agree.

Zhuge Liang. Because I'm not a West-Centric white supremacist like the rest of you. :P

Also, whoever said Einstein was the father of physics needs to stop playing games and start paying attention in class.

Untitled.png

My heart is broken by the terrible loss I have sustained in my old friends and companions and my poor soldiers. Believe me, nothing except a battle lost can be half so melancholy as a battle won. -Sir Arthur Wellesley

No one has said Charles Darwin yet?

My top four:

1) Einstein (he's popular for a reason)

2) Benjamin Franklin (not a president AND on the $100 bill?) And yes I know, lots of other reasons.

3) Charles Darwin

4) Al Gore <3:

ew, why al gore?

For all the previously stated reasons.

like being able to give a video presentation?

Like being able to give the same video presentation over a thousand times around the world and sway people to be just a bit more aware of human's impact on the environment.

And creating the Internet is also a plus.

Zhuge Liang. Because I'm not a West-Centric white supremacist like the rest of you.

Also, whoever said Einstein was the father of physics needs to stop playing games and start paying attention in class.

Blame our education.

Honestly, the main reason I stopped History when I could? Its too biased. We are taught very little about Eastern history. If we learned more about the time of the Samurai (sorry, forgot the period) and so on, I'd have considered it.

swordfinalqr7.jpg

Denizen of Darkness| PSN= sworddude198

Zhuge Liang. Because I'm not a West-Centric white supremacist like the rest of you.

While it's true that most of the people mentioned here are from the "west" there are good arguments for them being the smartest. But there are so many different kinds of smart that I wouldn't pick one person and say he/she is the smartest.

q8tsigindy500fan.jpg

indy500fanan9.jpg

I'd also throw Confucius and Laozi out there. At least, up there with the western philosophers like Socrates and Plato.

But I'll say da Vinci nevertheless. Simply an incredible man, with way too many amazing skills.

doublesmileyface1.png

Cenin pân nîd, istan pân nîd, dan nin ú-cenich, nin ú-istach.

Ithil luin eria vi menel caran...Tîn dan delu.

Lots of smart people come from areas other than the West. It's worth noting that when Rome was fighting with slingshots and bronze swords, China was fighting with steel weapons and armor, crossbows (some repeating crossbows), bombs and grenades, and flares for night battles. When the West was using leeches for medicine, the Chinese were using complex medicines and doing open-body surgery with much success.

Almost all of Western knowledge is based on Arabic studies that were passed down from the Orient on the Silkroad. It can be argued that the Mayans were plotting complex mathematics when we were still in the Dark Ages.

Penguin, don't forget Sun Tzu. All very wise men. I've recently had a chance to read the Chun Qi Annals and I was just in awe that they had been written almost 2500 years ago.

Untitled.png

My heart is broken by the terrible loss I have sustained in my old friends and companions and my poor soldiers. Believe me, nothing except a battle lost can be half so melancholy as a battle won. -Sir Arthur Wellesley

Lots of smart people come from areas other than the West. It's worth noting that when Rome was fighting with slingshots and bronze swords, China was fighting with steel weapons and armor, crossbows (some repeating crossbows), bombs and grenades, and flares for night battles. When the West was using leeches for medicine, the Chinese were using complex medicines and doing open-body surgery with much success.

Almost all of Western knowledge is based on Arabic studies that were passed down from the Orient on the Silkroad. It can be argued that the Mayans were plotting complex mathematics when we were still in the Dark Ages.

Penguin, don't forget Sun Tzu. All very wise men. I've recently had a chance to read the Chun Qi Annals and I was just in awe that they had been written almost 2500 years ago.

Have you read 1421: The Year China discovered the World by anychance ? May be bull for all I know, but people have said it is good.

Also, interesting to note, many arabic studies of medicine are based on or directly interpreted from Ayurveda. Indians were also using complex surgical tools at the same time.

My fellow historians and I have confirmed that 1421 is a crock of BS. It has less supporting evidence than most History Channel TV shows, and that says a lot.

Untitled.png

My fellow historians and I have confirmed that 1421 is a crock of BS. It has less supporting evidence than most History Channel TV shows, and that says a lot.

:pray:

Thank you God.

and thank you Barihawk

Whilst it's true that mathematics developed earlier in China and Arabic countries it certainly died a death after the Golden Age of Islam. And as to the mathematics being complex that's debateable, most of these cultures were using it purely for functional means (understandably), India was the first country to introduce the concept of zero which took it in a more abstract direction. But I'm ignorant of Mayan mathematics so I may be missing something.

It's true that science/mathematics owes a lot to Arabic and Eastern cultures I'd still put western mathematicians and scientists up there in terms of their influence.

The problem with this kind of question is that success in academia (which seems to be a judge of intelligence) is a lot down to luck and being in the right place at the right time. Many brilliant men may have been pipped to the post by slightly less brilliant men who happened to get their results out there first, but it's almost impossible to tell because history is not a perfect record of the past. The smartest person may never have come into the spotlight.

"Da mihi castitatem et continentam, sed noli modo"

"Pay attention in class."

What? You act like classes teach about the Chinese/Indian/Mid-East contributions...and besides, Einstein can be considered the father of physics depending on how relative you're speaking. He could be considered the father of "modern" physics.

Richard Dawkins, his theories and arguments are the strongest the atheist movement has ever seen.

...so that makes him the smartest person on earth then you absolute dipshti

Good job on incorrectly spelling your insult. Makes your flame that much more ironic and full of fail.

And Da Vinci.

I shall take my flock underneath my own wing, and kick them right the [bleep] out of the tree. If they were meant to fly, they won't break their necks on the concrete.
So, what is 1.111... equal to?

10/9.

Please don't continue.

wm1c2w.jpg

Richard Dawkins, his theories and arguments are the strongest the atheist movement has ever seen.

My god, can you just appreciate the science of his work rather than how it fulfills your teenage rebellious pseudoatheism?

Tl;dr: you're annoying.

[if you have ever attempted Alchemy by clapping your hands or

by drawing an array, copy and paste this into your signature.]

Fullmetal Alchemist, you will be missed. A great ending to a great series.

Good job on incorrectly spelling your insult. Makes your flame that much more ironic and full of fail.

I'm assuming he misspelled it on purpose to avoid the censor. I don't agree with the flames but I also don't think Dawkins is the most intelligent man just for furthering the atheist movement. He is intelligent but there are many others who have surpassed him. A lot of his arguments are flawed too. Like you, I prefer Da Vinci and he was someone who believed in god.

teenage rebellious pseudoatheism

I used to be like that until I realized nonconformity is the new conformity.

I'm assuming he misspelled it on purpose to avoid the censor. I don't agree with the flames but I also don't think Dawkins is the most intelligent man just for furthering the atheist movement. He is intelligent but there are many others who have surpassed him. A lot of his arguments are flawed too. Like you, I prefer Da Vinci and he was someone who believed in god.

Heh.

Rebdragon and Zierro. No homo but, you know I love you guys, right ?

<3:

Conforming so that you wont conform to the masses of the nonconforming is simply the second stage of unwilling conformity.

On a large enough scale, we're all the same.

You already acknowledged this. I just rephrased it in a way that made me seem unique. Even though I am not.

But I don't want to go among mad people!

Oh, you can't help that. We're all mad here..."

On a large enough scale, we're all the same.

Yes, in the sense that we're all humans who have dreams, hopes, problems, opinions, etc. but we don't all share the same ones. Some have much different ideals than what you'd find in an average sample of people which makes these people stand out and it makes the word "unique" justifiable.

Rebdragon and Zierro. No homo but, you know I love you guys, right ?

My dream came true. I've become famous on a random and fairly unpopular internet site. <3:

But anyways, why is that?

My dream came true. I've become famous on a random and fairly unpopular internet site. <3:

I don't think Tip.it is too unpopular, it seems pretty big.

It's popular for a fansite but when you compare it to the top Google searches and stuff like that then we just seem like a little blurb inside cyberspace.