Smartest person on earth

Zierro

They don't have to be alive. I think it would either be Benjamin Franklin or Leonardo da Vinci. They've both contributed so much to society because of their intelligence it makes me jealous. They also both applied their capabilities to more than only one domain unlike your average person. Leo was an inventor and painter. Ben was a politician and I would undoubtedly give him the label as a true philosopher. Just take a look at all his notorious quotes.

Who do you think it would be?

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh god, this is a hell of a question. Einstein comes to mind; relativity is no small feat. How a person's mind can conceive of something as abstract as that is beyond me.

For insight into human existence I nominate Dostoevsky. Everything you need to know about life is in The Brothers Karamazov.

Gutenberg for inventing the printing press! The collective inventors of the written word! Bah, I don't know.

La lune ne garde aucune rancune.

I nominate myself!

seriously though, i doubt there is any one smartest person and there are loads of ways to define how smart someone is.

iteme3721.jpg

I'd add aristotle and plato to the list too, im a great beleiver in the ancient philoosophers (sp?) They laid the backbone for so much of what we know today.

Who was the one on one of the islands near italy, malta i think it was?

Want to be my friend? Look under my name to the left<<< and click the 'Add as friend' button!

zqXeV.jpg

Big thanks to Stevepole for the signature!^

Leonardo da Vinci is the one that springs to mind. He's probably the most talent man ever. And it's freaky how he conceptualised the things we have nowadays like the helicopter.

I studied him for my artwork, the way he pinpointed everything to it's last detail is just amazing. His anatomy drawings are <3:

rc1tzc.png

☢ CAUTION ☢ CAUTION ☢ CAUTION ☢ CAUTION ☢

Dostoevsky

Wasn't he the one who thought of existentialism? I haven't even heard of that term since last year, but I must admit it's probably the most interesting and enlightening concept I've ever heard.

Dostoevsky

Wasn't he the one who thought of existentialism? I haven't even heard of that term since last year, but I must admit it's probably the most interesting and enlightening concept I've ever heard.

His work was definitely the foundation that existentialism was built upon. I don't think the term was coined until after he had died. Interestingly, unlike most existential thinkers, he was a fairly devout Christian. Much of his work is shows his struggle to reconcile existentialism with faith (Ivan and Alyosha arguing in The Brothers Karamazov) and he eventually identified with what would now be called Christian Existentialism.

La lune ne garde aucune rancune.

I'm not sure. Isaac Newton, Da Vinci, or Galileo Galilei. That's as far as western society goes. Alhazen was a brilliant Muslim physicist, and much of his work built the foundation for all modern physics. He was also the pioneer for the scientific method. He's not given much credit.

William James Sidis.

[if you have ever attempted Alchemy by clapping your hands or

by drawing an array, copy and paste this into your signature.]

Fullmetal Alchemist, you will be missed. A great ending to a great series.

Either Albert Einstein for his science, Ben Franklin for politics, and Churchil seems like he SHOULD be the most intelligent, but I can't really think of anything he's done besides have the ability to make everything he said quote worthy.

LOTRjokesigedition-1.png

Get back here so I can rub your butt.

I don't know about the smartest single person, but my vote for smartest group of people goes to the Myans...mind boggling stuff right there.

May the presents of our lord and savior, Santa, be with you this holiday season!

First annual Clausmas - 2009 December 25

When I think of smartest person on earth right away I think "Stephen Hawking."

But really I have no idea. Jesus? :lol:

10postchm2105.png

WONGTONG IS THE BEST AND IS MORE SUPERIOR THAN ME

#1 Wongtong stalker.

Im looking for some No Limit soldiers!

That guy that came up for the cure of _______.

But to be serious, I'd say Bill Gates, I don't think snyone knew how to make the internet except him. (bad guess/person, I know)

Don't you know the first rule of MMO's? Anyone higher level than you has no life, and anyone lower than you is a noob.

People in OT eat glass when they are bored.

No one famous. I'm guessing someone reclusive and antisocial.

I agree. I guess half of determining their intelligence is what they contributed to society. Basing some of it on that, the first one I want to say would be da Vinci. He's contributed to so many different things. Art, science, engineering, literature, architecture, math... And he was also physically a very strong and athletic man. He's everything in one. A packaged deal!

tvnet_banner-2.jpg

Oh god, this is a hell of a question. Einstein comes to mind; relativity is no small feat. How a person's mind can conceive of something as abstract as that is beyond me.

For insight into human existence I nominate Dostoevsky. Everything you need to know about life is in The Brothers Karamazov.

Gutenberg for inventing the printing press! The collective inventors of the written word! Bah, I don't know.

Gutenberg was a [bleep]arse, who was essentially made the equivalent of today's millions through bribery, theft and essentially the misfortune of others. {What I've been led to believe - from a !book!, cant remember exact title}

Agree on Dostoevksy, haven't read The Brothers Karamazov, planning to have read parts of Notes from the Underground and some of his critical essays.

Aryabhata - astronomer, mathematician and general awesome'ness.

Edison coupled with Tesla - the men who made the modern world.

Awesome French Philosopher [he didn't like to think himself as one] called Michel de' Montaigne. Great if you ever need relevant toilet humor.

I seriously think that Churchill is over-rated, both as a leader and as a human.

Albert Einsten to some degree.

Galileo, however he had a neon sign whereas another [forget this guy's name] had a guy in a chicken suit. - Reffering to development on the theory of planetary motion etc...

I came in and was disappointed when I found out this wasn't about me.

:P

I dunno, whoever found out how to somehow... encode or w/e... data and crap into a weird form of plastic chip thingy...

image.png image.png

Oh yeah, and I've thought of taking babies and throwing them. For funsies. - Lenticular J

ShamanSniper.gif

ShamanSniper.png

"Isn't it pathetic how everything in our society is built around someone screwing someone else out of their money?" - killerbeer0 on American Society

Rebdragon can't wiz a woz.

i feel like that there isn't such a thing as the smartest person, with as many different fields out there, its really a tragedy to say there is only 1 smartest man. does Einstein get it for his work in general relativity, defiantly no easy task, or is it newton, who by any means solved many problems facing man. by why limit it to just science? the inventors of language, to fine dining, all in their own respected are geniuses in my opinion. no one is good at everything, if there was such a man, he wouldn't be human now would he?

legends2.jpg

The cavemen who made tools fire and the wheel for the first time. Where would we be today without them. [/thread]

that was a collection of numerous different people, and was created by different people, at different times, multiply times in the past, all independently

legends2.jpg

Karl Marx

wrote a theory about a great political system, which was unfortunately spoiled by the People.

chat.png

"Happines only real when shared."

[hide=Stats]Gago.png

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Gag0.png[/hide]