Clan Chronicle issue #7- JC finals, TT, Tip.It ML, changes++

Laikrob

May is here, and so is the biggest issue of the Clan Chronicle so far. 8-)

We can reveal a huge upcoming release: Tip.It memberlists. There is a big article about it, and there will of course be more information about it when it is released in a few months time.

The Jagex Combat Cup final was fought just this weekend, and we were there. We have an interview with a The Titans member before and after the final, pictures from final and The Titans is our featured clan this month. We also have the results of the Skilling and Combined cups.

Are the changes to the clan support happening fast enough, even with the new CEO? Are clan chats just a positive addition to the clan support? Two articles question this, and maybe you have questioned it too. A debate in the Clan Discussion forum about clan support makes it clear that many people have opinions about this. Do you?

Please post your thoughts, opinions or feedback to any of the articles in the Clan Chronicle in this topic.

You can find the new issue here.

Do you have an idea for an article yourself? Write it down and PM it to Laikrob, and you have the chance to be a guest article writer, or maybe even a Clan Chronicle Author.

Special thanks this month goes to the guest author, y_guy_4_life.

Thanks again to Crew member Cowman_133, who does the coding.

On behalf of The Clan Chronicle,

Laikrob

You're accusing me of bigotry, how ironic. It's a nice attempt at argument, but your responses are facile and asinine, if not diatribe. Who's arrogant now?

The Titans' IRC channel is #TheTitans, not #the_titans.

Also, you forgot to mention two of the clans we fought, the complete list is:

Corruption, Shining Paladins, Triforce, Violent Resolution, Shadow Elves, Divine Forces, Damage Incorporated.

Though they are smaller clans they certainly deserve a mention for giving it a try =D>

For a complete history (as this one only cover the first year or so), I'd like to refer to this topic on our boards: http://thetitans.ipbfree.com/index.php?showtopic=2575

Cheers,

Ward

10y3vig.png

proudtitan.png

Thank you for the corrections, some had just been lost in the coding. ::'

You're accusing me of bigotry, how ironic. It's a nice attempt at argument, but your responses are facile and asinine, if not diatribe. Who's arrogant now?

Omg Pureclip your soooooo right i always forget when i playing runescape or when im in the real world. Like the time i tried eating a shark in one bite......yeah that didnt work out to wel #-o

We've all been there, man... :P

Thanks for the positive feedback, all. It is very much appreciated. We would love to see some opinions and discussion come out of the articles aswell, and I know that the Crew would like to hear it if you have any suggestions or other feedback to the memberlists work so far. I swear, next issue we need to write a fake article just to provoke some debate on here. :twisted:

We're glad you enjoyed the read. ::'

TSG have decided to switch to Tip.It memberlists when they are released, due to the lack of cap on the member number on the list + tie with RuneScript. We'll only keep the current lists on RuneHead, but not maintain them after that.

We're glad you enjoyed the read. ::'

TSG have decided to switch to Tip.It memberlists when they are released, due to the lack of cap on the member number on the list + tie with RuneScript. We'll only keep the current lists on RuneHead, but not maintain them after that.

Quick question, what is the biggest reason to you guys switching?

22031_s.gif

No cap on the memberlists. We have several thousand members, and having to split up the top memberlists and exclude others from even appearing as members was not a viable solution for us. The lack of active support from RuneHead, plus the viruses in some of their ads last year were also deciding factors.

No cap on the memberlists. We have several thousand members, and having to split up the top memberlists and exclude others from even appearing as members was not a viable solution for us. The lack of active support from RuneHead, plus the viruses in some of their ads last year were also deciding factors.

I wonder how many clans then will, switch because of Runescript.

To be honest, the smartest thing Tip.it has done is partner with Runescript, seeing that now clan are literally forced to change to the Tip.it memberlists.

22031_s.gif

Pretty sure Corr will switch memberlists :)

But was a very nice chronicle and grats tt \'

enzock.gif

Proud Leader of the Corruption Clan. PM me to set up a fight or for any queries relating to my clan.

Pretty sure Corr will switch memberlists :)

But was a very nice chronicle and grats tt \'

If the memberlists are as good as they look, SE will switch too :D

polvCwJ.gif
"It's not a rest for me, it's a rest for the weights." - Dom Mazzetti

K, since you want some feedback, I took the time to read it more thoroughly and formulate my remarks/ideas on what is said about the memberlists.

# Clan administration login is tied with your Tipit forum login

# Other users can be added to manage the clan, however the creator retains founder status and is the only one who can add or delete users, unless they transfer that status to another user. There can only be one administrative user at a time.

This has basically led me to register a new forum account for the sole purpose of having it publicly available to fellow officials. So my question in this case would be:

- By add and delete users you mean add and delete "managers" or add and delete people from the member's list. If it's the latter, then my registering an account idea was justified, as well as it sounding a rather odd choice on your side. What exactly can these managers do then? Change ranks? Change lay out? It sounds rather unclear. In my eyes, a manager should be able to:

a. add members

b. delete members

c. update the list

d. change clanranks (leader, member, pk leader, w/e...)

e. Not be allowed to fiddle with lay out and the likes.

-----

Options for stat tracking - Global stat tracking (track the clan as a whole), sheet specific stat tracking, or no stat tracking. Stat tracking will take a snapshot of XP and number of members every day when the list updates and then make pretty graphs with it.

What exactly is sheet specific stat tracking?

Will global tracking keep the xp per member or only keep track of the averages?

Will it be left to the user which intervals of the tracking he wants to check or only predetermined ranges?

-----

Requirements search - Find a clan accepting applications that has requirements matched by the user

Am curious how you plan on implementing that efficiently when (going by current pics) you allow text as the input there. Wrong wording would put many clans out, not to mention when a DB becomes huge you'll end up with a very CPU-intensive searches for just one user.

Don't get me wrong, it seems like a nice idea in se, I just wonder how you'll implement that efficiently without heavily restricting what can be picked as requirements.

-----

http://img32.imageshack.us/img32/6757/clansmockup.png

The stats part seems placed rather low, especially if a list gets bigger and you have to end up scrolling a few pages down just to quickly check an average or the amount of members

-----

The whole "apply from tip.it site" idea seems to me as a waste of expensive developer time. Only clans where you basically get auto accepted would, in my eyes, use this system since most, if not all, self-respecting clans tend to have some sort of process you need to go through and most likely will need a forum account of some sorts for. So basically only useful for big useless lists the likes of "Belgian players", etc..

-----

Is there any estimate on when this will be released? Personally I was planning on writing up a quick clan tracker for my clan but if this comes out soon (and fulfills my desires), then I won't bother.

-----

Along the same lines of the previous question: are you looking for testers? I tend to see myself as someone with some experience on the matter :P

Cheers,

Ward

The Titans

Root Admin, IRC founder and scripting junkie

10y3vig.png

proudtitan.png

K, since you want some feedback, I took the time to read it more thoroughly and formulate my remarks/ideas on what is said about the memberlists.

This has basically led me to register a new forum account for the sole purpose of having it publicly available to fellow officials. So my question in this case would be:

- By add and delete users you mean add and delete "managers" or add and delete people from the member's list. If it's the latter, then my registering an account idea was justified, as well as it sounding a rather odd choice on your side. What exactly can these managers do then? Change ranks? Change lay out? It sounds rather unclear. In my eyes, a manager should be able to:

a. add members

b. delete members

c. update the list

d. change clanranks (leader, member, pk leader, w/e...)

e. Not be allowed to fiddle with lay out and the likes.

Yeah, that was a bit confusing the way it was worded. Basically what I intended by it was that the head clan guy/whatever (the one who creates the memberlist account) has the ability to add and remove other Tip.it forum accounts as "managers" of the clan. These "managers" can do everything with the clan administration that the "founder" can, aside from managing the "managers". (If that makes any sense). Eventually when this is integrated with the TWR there could be specific "managers" added with the ability to only manage TWR stuff. We added this in solely to discourage the sharing of forum accounts and the creation of a dedicated "clan account". The "founder" can transfer his foundership to any of the managers if there is a change in clan leadership or something like that.

(I hope that made sense :P)

What exactly is sheet specific stat tracking?

Will global tracking keep the xp per member or only keep track of the averages?

Will it be left to the user which intervals of the tracking he wants to check or only predetermined ranges?

Sheet specific stat tracking is tracking the XP of the members on each individual memberlist, as opposed to global stat tracking, which will track the XP of every member on every sheet and lump it into one big graph. Sheet-specific tracking will create a different graph for each sheet. It won't track individual members, no.

Am curious how you plan on implementing that efficiently when (going by current pics) you allow text as the input there. Wrong wording would put many clans out, not to mention when a DB becomes huge you'll end up with a very CPU-intensive searches for just one user.

Don't get me wrong, it seems like a nice idea in se, I just wonder how you'll implement that efficiently without heavily restricting what can be picked as requirements.

Actually, the applications on the Clan Information page is more of a general thing (i.e. "A positive attitude", "able to make events" that kind of stuff). The image here shows the fields that will be searched for an application. I haven't written that bit yet, let alone profiled it, but I'm sure we'll be able to thin things out to where it's not too much on the server.

http://img32.imageshack.us/img32/6757/clansmockup.png

The stats part seems placed rather low, especially if a list gets bigger and you have to end up scrolling a few pages down just to quickly check an average or the amount of members

That's still a bit of a tentative arrangement. I originally had stats and stat tracking above the memberlists, but then we moved it down so the memberlists would be easier to see. Maybe just having the stats and stat tracking boxes only show the header and then open up when they're clicked on and then placing them above memberlists would work. Dunno though, it's still tentative.

The whole "apply from tip.it site" idea seems to me as a waste of expensive developer time. Only clans where you basically get auto accepted would, in my eyes, use this system since most, if not all, self-respecting clans tend to have some sort of process you need to go through and most likely will need a forum account of some sorts for. So basically only useful for big useless lists the likes of "Belgian players", etc..

That was me having a block with writing the regular code, actually :P

I just wrote the applications stuff out of boredom and thought it would be nice to add. So meh if it gets used or not, but it's there if it is.

Is there any estimate on when this will be released? Personally I was planning on writing up a quick clan tracker for my clan but if this comes out soon (and fulfills my desires), then I won't bother.

Probably (hopefully) July. Was originally going to be June, but things came up for me and it had to go on hold for a bit.

Thanks for the feedback.

--Errdoth

I knew one day Tip.It would be getting their own memberlist feature. :P

If all of the features listed in that chronicle are present upon release or are eventually released, RuneHead is going to go out of style fast. Glad to see Tip.It continuing to work hard on becoming the clan cool spot once again.

I guess I should pay more attention now to these Chronicles, lol.

Good job.