Wow, Do I have bad grammar...

AniseCookies

Over awhile Ive seen my posts on how BAD my grammar is. Ive been getting to attached to internet lingo over the summer :lol: So I'm making an attempt to get better :) Heh, Shiva, Mummi says you are a master at great spelling :shock:

It is annoying too, how people talk. It's sometimes hard to understand :? "phr33 st00f pl0xz!" even though that is steriotyped.

I think everyone should have to get used to typing right. Because the first day of school I had SO much trouble typing :lol:

Anyone to help me out on how to get better?

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ahh, a grammar topic. Well, I'm sure some of you remember, but when I first joined on Scapeboard I used to type...however, no caps, no punctuation, etc. I figured "What's the point?" as I did have a 90+ average anyhow, so it shouldn't matter how I typed. After looking at my own posts, I realized how much of an idiot I appeared to be. Grammar is just one of the simple things that's so tough to keep up with on the internet at first, due to tempting shortcut lingo such as "ur" instead of "you're".

Well, what I'm just trying to say is that by talking properly online, you're just developing a better...vocab, and understanding of what exactly you're saying. It really cleans your vocab up, makes it less sloppy, if that makes any sense. Some tips: I'm not sure if it'll work for you, but how others view me is important in it's own ways. I just try not to come off as an illiterate moron, and by typing properly, perhaps people will percieve that I'm at least a decent guy.

So just give it a try, see how it goes, and I'm quite sure you'll get rid of the annoying habit to type in a quickie in no time. :wink:

AD

signaturecj5.jpg

Yep - decent grammar defiantely gives other people the view that your IQ is at least 50 points higher than if you don't use good grammar.

I almost invalidate (in my mind) every post that I see with poor spelling/grammar, unless I can tell that English isn't their first language.

summerpngwy6.jpg

:? I dont think that grammer should be what a person judges anothers intellegence by... Its just a simple little thing, and when a person writes a long post, of course some of it will be forgoten.

I almost never use short forms on here, and only thing is like lol and omfg. And im just to lazy to use 's. Its just spelling i have a problem with...

mergedliongr0xe9.gif

Sig by Ikurai

Your Guide to Posting! Behave or I will send my Moose mounted Beaver launchers at you!

:? I dont think that grammer should be what a person judges anothers intellegence by... Its just a simple little thing, and when a person writes a long post, of course some of it will be forgoten.

I almost never use short forms on here, and only thing is like lol and omg. And im just to lazy to use 's. Its just spelling i have a problem with...

I dunno... think about:

'ya i no wat u mean its just not rite if he wud be nicer everything wud turn out for thebest. mayb talking 2 him wud help'

As opposed to

"Yeah, I know what you mean. It's just not right - if he would be nicer to you, everything would turn out for the best. Maybe talking to him would help?"

Maybe that will help clarify.

summerpngwy6.jpg

I almost never use short forms on here, and only thing is like lol and omg. And im just to lazy to use 's. Its just spelling i have a problem with...

I dunno... think about:

'ya i no wat u mean its just not rite if he wud be nicer everything wud turn out for thebest. mayb talking 2 him wud help'

As opposed to

"Yeah, I know what you mean. It's just not right - if he would be nicer to you, everything would turn out for the best. Maybe talking to him would help?"

Maybe that will help clarify.

:lol: I dont think that does. It shows nothing about the person intellegince to me. Just I have a hard time reading it :wink:

mergedliongr0xe9.gif

Sig by Ikurai

Your Guide to Posting! Behave or I will send my Moose mounted Beaver launchers at you!

Heh, I found that typing correctly saves me more time than abreviating every second word :P

I could understand a bit of if forums were in real-time but they're not. So I honestly have no idea why people can't make the effort to make their posts understandable :x

It's picking up since I first joined but it still seems to be confined to Off-Topic and the Areascape section; I don't know about any other boards because I don't use that many :P

@sunmann99: As for getting better. Just use full words and punctuate. I got a writing guide in the Varrock Library which has some general tips for how to use everything correctly if you want to read it :lol:

Seriously though, just make the effort to make decent posts and things will fall nicely into place ;)

I got a writing guide in the Varrock Library which has some general tips for how to use everything correctly if you want to read it :lol:

Seriously though, just make the effort to make decent posts and things will fall nicely into place ;)

I just read it! Wow, my IQ just went up 25 points. :shock: Thanks alot! :D

Mummi and I talk grammar alot. ^.^

Yep I agree with insane.

I try to write properly as to not look a fool.

I understand some people are bad at spelling (and I know they will improve) and I will go as far to say I don't mind people writing with their accent style, but I can't stand people writing things like "wad" for "what". That's just annoying especially when they are trying to write a (semi-) serious post.

If people can't be bothered to write correctly don't expect me to be bothered to read it. :)

sig2ho7.jpg

I simply try not to make bad habbits out of typing wrong :)

When you get to the point where you can type over 100 wpm easily, taking the time to type proper grammer is like second nature

- Only character in Runescape History maxed out in RSC and RS2

x843.png

Yep - decent grammar defiantely gives other people the view that your IQ is at least 50 points higher than if you don't use good grammar.

I almost invalidate (in my mind) every post that I see with poor spelling/grammar, unless I can tell that English isn't their first language.

proper...i mean...actual proper grammar is almost never used in english speaking countries

like in Germany...i highly doubt Germans speak with "high" German...

Guest GhostRanger
Ahh, a grammar topic. Well, I'm sure some of you remember, but when I first joined on Scapeboard I used to type...however, no caps, no punctuation, etc. I figured "What's the point?" as I did have a 90+ average anyhow, so it shouldn't matter how I typed. After looking at my own posts, I realized how much of an idiot I appeared to be. Grammar is just one of the simple things that's so tough to keep up with on the internet at first, due to tempting shortcut lingo such as "ur" instead of "you're".

Well, what I'm just trying to say is that by talking properly online, you're just developing a better...vocab, and understanding of what exactly you're saying. It really cleans your vocab up, makes it less sloppy, if that makes any sense. Some tips: I'm not sure if it'll work for you, but how others view me is important in it's own ways. I just try not to come off as an illiterate moron, and by typing properly, perhaps people will percieve that I'm at least a decent guy.

So just give it a try, see how it goes, and I'm quite sure you'll get rid of the annoying habit to type in a quickie in no time. :wink:

AD

I remember when you first came on the boards and typed with such bad puncuation and grammar. I would get so annoyed thinking you had to be like 5 years old.

Now I read your posts and its like (in my mind of course) you've matured beyond belief in however many years youo've been here...but really you just use proper puncuation and grammar.

Interesting how that works...

my posts hardly ever contain capitalization. microsoft word ruined that for me by auto-capitalizing everything. im sure i dont use correct grammar, but for the most part i think my posts are more or less readable. i do have a problem with blabbering about anything and getting way off topic, and trying to make it all fit in, and i have a problem with run on sentences.

Bad habit I have is replacing . with an Wink

i do that too, i get into a smiley mood and start using them a lot. then my posts have smileys as periods :lol:

q8tsigindy500fan.jpg

indy500fanan9.jpg

my posts hardly ever contain capitalization. microsoft word ruined that for me by auto-capitalizing everything. im sure i dont use correct grammar, but for the most part i think my posts are more or less readable. i do have a problem with blabbering about anything and getting way off topic, and trying to make it all fit in, and i have a problem with run on sentences.

i do that too, i get into a smiley mood and start using them a lot. then my posts have smileys as periods :lol:

I sometime's get into a habit of leaving off the period altogether.

- Only character in Runescape History maxed out in RSC and RS2

x843.png

Apart from the odd stupid post, I always try to talk decently. Try not to forget to type like I should. Basically, try to do what a fair bit of the native english speakers tend to neglect.

It's a shame: Despite the fact they want that they think english will get them anywhere in the world and be understood, they neglect their own language.

I don't want to sound arrogant, but I can say I'm fluent in 3 languages, and get along quite well in a fourth. Some americans only know english, and not even that could be called 'decent'.

*Sigh* It's an attittude thing, I guess?

Vmser.png

I always do it. Not to learn from it myself, I do it so others can read what I wrote, without too much effort. Of course it's far from perfect, but atleast I try. :)

21o4pav.jpg

Signature by Maurice Sendak

When the stars make you drool just like a pasta fazool, that's amore!

i have the same problem with capitalization, but i always try to use at least basic grammer and spelling.

i also seem to use a damn lot of paragraphs..

Apart from the odd stupid post, I always try to talk decently. Try not to forget to type like I should. Basically, try to do what a fair bit of the native english speakers tend to neglect.

It's a shame: Despite the fact they want that they think english will get them anywhere in the world and be understood, they neglect their own language.

I don't want to sound arrogant, but I can say I'm fluent in 3 languages, and get along quite well in a fourth. Some americans only know english, and not even that could be called 'decent'.

*Sigh* It's an attittude thing, I guess?

i dunno what it is..we are taught proper english in like 2 grades of school..and we never speak it..so it goes away...then SAT time when we need it...we gotta study like its foreign...i dunno though mate

I cant stand people who use incorrect grammer or abreiviate (sp) words eg. you = u. I also hate people saying ty instead of typing the whole either 'thankyou or thanks' if they were truly thankful they would. I actually changed one of my friends typing habits because he got sick of me correcting him :P

And no lol why do you always want to get stuff from John Lewis. Its over ̣̉300 more then than what i paid.

John Lewis is a great, great shop.

I used to use 'u, y, wot' and whatnot, but I started actually using it in writing unintentionally. So, I started spelling properly, including punctuation, on MSN, forums and other internet mediums. It's also a lot less confusing, and I don't come off as a [wagon] (until they get to know me).

I think that using bad grammar and abbreviating words results in people getting into bad habits. It's happened with the texting craze, young children are using abbreviated forms of words in school because they use them on their mobile. It just ain't right. I generally don't judge people purely on their grammar and spelling, i know that people with dyslexia have a hard time spelling and i would never look at them in an inferior way. However people who just use stupid abbreviated words are generally annoying to me, since it takes me longer to figure out what they're trying to say, and could lead to misinterpretation. The one thing that really ticks me off is abbreviation that doesn't actually abbreviate the word. I mean, what's the point? :?

"Da mihi castitatem et continentam, sed noli modo"