Why Don't People Explore Anymore?

Danqazmlp

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hehe, logged on just to post in this topic :P

This could take a while.

[hide=Wall of text]When I first started playing my sister saw me and thought it was a pretty cool game if it was free. She created an account and we both started mining and smithing. (which we both loved, wish I still had that attitude). Every time we went on we would mine at least once. We heard someone speak of falador. We had no idea where it was so we googled the runescape world map. I clicked on one and it brought me to tip.it. From then on we used Tip.it for everything; for guides; for quest guides etc; but most importantly, the world map.

We saw on the world map 'Dwarven mine', and where better than a dwarven mine to mine stuff. By this time we both had healthy cash piles which we tried to keep above 20k by mining/smithing, and when we had this much we thought we would be kind and help people fresh off tutorial island by making them sets of full iron. 20 sets we made, and we only gave it to people who said something along the lines of 'Really? Thanks!'

Upon further examination of Tip.it, we found the full world map. We had no idea that most of it was members only or indeed what members were. We looked and saw many interesting places on the map, and when we were looking through the mining guide we saw something about Keldagrim, and about it being the home of the dwarves or something like that.

We planned our route, and stocked up on self made supplies. I made us both a set of steel armour (I had an addy scimmy cause I was that good) and she fished and cooked 50 lobbies each. Eventually we were ready, and set off from Falador. As you can imagine the journey was short-lived but we still had a great time exploring all around the non-members areas.

As time went by she started playing less and less and soon she quit altogether. I carried on training my skills but F2p was boring me, it was normal now. I wanted to explore. I would spend ages walking up and down the wall boundaries at members only points, looking in to see what I could see.

Eventually, at a combat level of 60-something, with all non-member quests complete, I got members. I instantly bought a G maul and duelling ring and went to play a LOT of castle wars. Afterward I spent the next two days (when I was actually on) exploring, had quite a few deaths as I wandered deeper and deeper into members territory, got pked for my rune full helm and scimmy cause I didn't know what the ardy lever did :P. Painfully did agility so I could do the elf quests and generally had a great time.[/hide]

So yeah, in conclusion I think the reason people don't explore as much as they used to is because of a few reasons:

1. They 'explore' before they even become members by looking at the internet

2. The game warns them that they will die before they get a chance to experience it. (Who cares if the wyvern is going to freeze my face off I want to go in there!)

3. They don't see the 'point' in exploring anymore. As someone put it earlier in the thread runescape is a lot more goal oriented now. (The main reason I don't have any 99s is cause I don't find them fun or see the point in going just for the cape.)

I'm going to stop blabbering now (that really was bigger than I thought it would be)

TifSig.jpg

I remember when I first started I remember trying to make money to get through the gate to Al Kharid and then after I spent my money getting through the gate I figured out there was an open entrance at the top. :(

lol...i did exactly the same thing!

spuriousmonk.png

spuriousmonk.png

I guess I cheated a bit before becomeing a member. I had read alot of the members huides here on tip.it. Well, maybe I read them all at one point or another. I never expected to become a member, and I resisted for 3 years (until the Varrock museaum). In that time I read through most of the quest guides because I wanted to know the story line.

When I did get members, the first thing I wanted to try was Castle Wars. I teleported as far west as I could (Camalot), and followed the road from there. After desciding that Castle wars was not as awsome as I expected, I wen't off to visit the museaum that has caused my membership in the first place. Then I created some of my first ever goals in RS.

I wanted to complete the museaum.

I wanted access to the Fairy Rings.

I wanted access to the spirit trees.

I wanted access to the gnome gliders.

These 4 missions determined which quests I did. I also picked out other quests along the way that were easy, had good rewards, or had something cool about them (or the reward, such as initiate armour). To this end I gained access to mortania. I also did the quest for herblore.

Wanting accesss to things gave we my a starting point for questing. By picking something I wanted, I figured out what quest I would need. Then, I raised my skills to meet the reqirements. In this way, I discovered members. I use the quest guides rarely, often just to know where to start, what the rewards are, and what items to bring. So there was plenty of discoevry.

And sometimes, I would just go someplace and see what I could get myself into. Where for the museaum I had needed to look up quests to know what ones gave kudos, I saved mortania for my own wanderings, and descided to just wander. So after priest in peril I hit Canifis, the first place I had been that I legitimatly knew nothing about.

I guess members can be overwhelming. I coped by picking a goal (well, 4 of them), and using that as a jummping off point to get me going.

I love exploring. I've been playing RuneScape a lot longer then a lot of my real-life friends, but my levels aren't that much higher then theirs, because I love exploring every single little nook and cranny of everywhere I can get to. One of the main reasons I'm becoming a member is so I can explore the members-only area. I've spend hours standing by Taverly's gate, just longing to enter. Being a musical sort of person, I'm even writing a song about it.

R.I.P. Lena, Rosa, Dougan, Tammy, Neil, and Patton!

OH yeah..people...i'm your classic explorer.....although i am kinda doing skilling now since i am kinda noobish....but i rememeber i used to stare at the world map to see what place has what and which way to go to where trespass the most feature without being inefficient...wish Jagex give us f2p player more land...i remember when mudskipper point were release i instantly got my self to port sarim and walked down there...kinda disappointed nothing was there for f2p but at least another place to see... and back in my newb day the first exploration i thought was to go over to the digsite area...only I was oblivious to the fact that i am f2p...can't wait until i get enough of skilling and get mem to explore more....hopefully won't get killed on white wolf mt. :D

p.s...in case you are wondering my real-world hobby are political geography and cartography... ::'

I went exploring last night with Omnitec and Deejay Hr.

We went to Olaf's cave, sledding in the Trollweiss, trekking the ice path and plundering some pyramids!

TIF-SIG-PREVAIL.jpg

IRC Nick: Hiroki | 99 Agility | Max Quest Points | 138 Combat

Bandos drops: 20 Hilt | 22 Chestplate | 21 Tassets | 14 Boots

I went exploring last night with Omnitec and Deejay Hr.

We went to Olaf's cave, sledding in the Trollweiss, trekking the ice path and plundering some pyramids!

Good one.....that must be tons of fun....

I remember when I was member for a first time. I got lost near Fishing Colony when just walking around. Spend like 2 hours walking round and then teled to Lumby... It was also so hard for me to find my way to Gnome Stronghold. I needed some kind of gnome robe cause' clue scroll. It took ages to find those gates... (Can I read map?!) <3: After Priest in Peri-quest I was wandering in south of Canifis, in the swamp. There was shades and some odd things. I almost died there, I had chance to teleport to Lumby - But no. I wanted to explore, it was great fun. I love those times. :cry:

When I first got members, it wasn't for any of the shiny new weapons or armor, it was purely for the expanded areas. The very first thing I did when I got members was go straight through the taverly gate. God that was a great feeling. I'm kind of disappointed that I know all of the rs map now, nowhere new to explore :cry: .

As for quests, I love the story lines, and I make sure to read through every dialogue box when I do them, but if I'm to get frustrated it just ruins the experience. So that's why I always wait for quest guides.

bling3.png

[blingkachi50]

To be honest, I became member's because of all the "You must be on a member's server to access this feature" and stuff like that. So I asked my mom for her credit card and said "It's summer and everyone is on vacation! Plz lemme have it! Only $5!!!" I left out the "per month" part \'

Woot my first day of members! I asked everyone where they gor their red armor and transparent shields, and they said it was from X quest. Ok, so I look on the quest list and see the biggest load of reqiurements in my lifetime :cry: and the ones I did have the requirements for required another quest to be done, ect. :|

I did troll stronghold as I became a member around the time of the GWD release. I was scared as heck because back in the old days, I didn't even have protection prayers! :o

Dad scared me when he started hitting in the 20's. I cried when I died and lost my defence amulet :lol:

Then I explored the GWD (after getting 60 strength of course) and died instantly :thumbsup:

Also, when I did lost city, I trained from around 50-60 attack on otherworldly beings :mrgreen: I about fainted when I got my Dragon Longsword.

Exploring is the 1st thing member's do when they enter the world of high standards :P

There are three sides to any argument: your side, my side and the right side.

RS BILLYMAYS.png