Why Don't People Explore Anymore?

Danqazmlp

No offence to anybody who does or has done this, but why do people ask 'What should i do when i get members?'

I see threads like that all the time here on tipit, and it utterly confuses me.

When i first became a member, a majority of the fun was exploring the new places, not knowing what i was getting myself into, having a whole new world to explore. Doing any random quests i found while 'trying' to find this place called Ardougne i had heard about. If i could, i would erase any memory i have of the members world just to start over again, wandering aimlessly through the new world.

I had a few friends at the time who had just become members aswell, and we all enjoyed this exploration, i even remember 3 of us, following each other doing the first treasure trail one of us had found, wandering all across runescape doing it for a black battleaxe at the end.

But now, it seems people just want to get straight to the point, straight into training a new skill to x level, or getting x peice of content, where is the fun in that?

It even happens with new quests sometimes, people will wait for others to explore new areas, so they can just get straight to the best part of it and gain x item, or train x skill again. How fun? :?

Do people not like to just explore new areas anymore?

Also, i'd like to know what others do when they first have access to a new area, or when you first got members.

Want to be my friend? Look under my name to the left<<< and click the 'Add as friend' button!

zqXeV.jpg

Big thanks to Stevepole for the signature!^

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When i became a member 4 or 5 years ago the first thing i wanted to do was train my new skills, and in the process of doing i saw other things i wanted to investigate.

ie, people with dragon swords, and weird quest items.

I would read tipit guides alot, so i alread had a pretty good direction of what i wanted to do. And then i did it i suppose.

johannase.jpg

Thank you to tripsis for an awesome sig!

It's fairly simple: nerds/geeks aren't the most exploring, outgoing, etc. types. And let's face it, we play runescape, we're all at least a bit nerdy.

When everything's been said and done, more has been said than done.

All skills 80+

angel2w.gif

I like to go on random exploring expeditions. I just recently explored the troll area. Didn't get too far. I think the lack of exploring comes from people already knowing how to do basic things in members. People already know where some of the major areas are, likely due to easier access to the world map. Some new members also have a better idea of what certain skills involve. When I became a member I had no idea of how to train agility or farming or slayer, so I neglected them and did other things. But a lot of new members have a bit of knowledge on the subject and some care about them, so they ask how to level them. I, probably like a lot of you, didn't care. Again, I think new players know enough to want to do something other than explore, partially through more knowledge being put in the game and the world map for helping people know where to go, rather than figuring it out themselves.

Did that even make sense?

I'm nerdy fo' show just tell new players to "get lost" (explore).

a few years back maybe exploring was nice, now theres so much to do where do you start?

smellysockssigbyblfazer.png

And it will all change when Jagex releases Exploring.

You mean sailing?.....

SAILING@@@@@@@

Ontopic:

The thing that is the more people play Runescape the more it becomes goalscape- unreachable or hard-to-reach goals what people set to themselves to get money/good stats/good ranks in highscores.

I remember that when I first became members, I explored quite a lot, as I didn't actually have a clue where everything is, the exploring made things more familiar for me... For example where are good places to train thieving, where should I do some farming etc.

joke33.png

archsupportei2.png

My Blog of pure... Uhmm... Well... Something...

Proud owner of Quest Cape, achieved 05.08.2008

29062th to Woodcutting 99, 02.05.2009

@ sailing. The horse is dead. if you don't know what that means feel free to look the expression up.

As for exploring. Well I recently bought membership for the first time after being an active free player for over 8 yrs. One of the things I find least enjoyable is exploring this vast new world. So I don't. I choose to "discover" all these new regions, areas and dungeons in good time, when a quest takes me there. Or perhaps a treasure trail.

I don't personally find enjoyment in walking around aimlessly for the sole reason of seeing a place that I've never seen before. More than likely I will forget about this place anyway, if I have no purpose of being there.

On the other hand, I've started remembering many p2p areas of Runescape where I've had business to do there.

In other words. I remember the places that are useful to me, and the places that I haven't visited are the places where I have not had any business yet.... Yet.

So to me exploring is not fun. Neither is it a necessity. As I rest assured that the quests and treasure trails will take me to the new places in good time.

First thing I did when I got members was climb over White Wolf Mountain (it was scary I was only level 50-something). I couldn't teleport to Camelot either! :o After which I camped in Catherby raising my fishing level eventually leaving to explore the world!

O_M_G_Guasto.png

I did a bit of exploring when I got members but as I'm not allowed to stay member I wanted to take my membership to full use and I studied the world map to see all the places and I looked them up here on Tip.It

But that's a few years ago now though.

KADrb.png
260pifq.jpg

when i first got members i walked all the way from faladar to yanille just to visit the hunter store..:P en then got to the feldip hills :P i think i'm going to explore morytania and karamja after 99 woodcutting so im still exploring ;)

PurplSlayR.png

PurplSlayR.png

When I first became p2p, I had quite a bit of knowledge on what to do and so on. Did the basic quests, then spent time in Seers training Fletching and Herblore, then bought some items to prepare for quests and so on.

I'm level 130 with over 1900 total and I still enjoy exploring. Once in a while I'll walk from lumbridge to the elven lands, then walk from the elven lands to the desert, morytania, karamja, ect ect.

It's a fun experience, even better when friends decide to join me.

ezegyc.png

That's why you're on the TZDF blackdawn. Even your balls can tear zombies to shreds.

I was still pretty new to the game when I got membership. I was around a lvl 20. The first thing I did in the game was exactly what you pointed out. I found a map of the world and I walked all over it, since my Magic was too low to teleport anywhere. If any members haven't explored the world on foot, I'd recommend it. Of course, eventually everything gets explored, then it's off to the races. I think the last time I went "exploring" was to check out the new graphics when HD was released.

rssig2.png

@ sailing. The horse is dead. if you don't know what that means feel free to look the expression up.

As for exploring. Well I recently bought membership for the first time after being an active free player for over 8 yrs. One of the things I find least enjoyable is exploring this vast new world. So I don't. I choose to "discover" all these new regions, areas and dungeons in good time, when a quest takes me there. Or perhaps a treasure trail.

I don't personally find enjoyment in walking around aimlessly for the sole reason of seeing a place that I've never seen before. More than likely I will forget about this place anyway, if I have no purpose of being there.

On the other hand, I've started remembering many p2p areas of Runescape where I've had business to do there.

In other words. I remember the places that are useful to me, and the places that I haven't visited are the places where I have not had any business yet.... Yet.

So to me exploring is not fun. Neither is it a necessity. As I rest assured that the quests and treasure trails will take me to the new places in good time.

I agree and disagree with you. I explored the same way as you, but I enjoyed very much the bonus of exploring, while doing the quest in new area.

but i'll never forget my first day in members, heres the story (hide, bit long lol)

[hide=]well on the first day i wanted to do a members quest, so i started to check quest requirements one by one in the questlist, i was very frustraited every quest needed another quest. i thought that all the quests are one giant completed tower of requirements :x

anyways eventually i found the quest, clock tower, reward was 500gp but meh, i started by opening wall from fally to taverly, and started to find myself how to get over the white wolf mountain. by that 2 players followed me and got it by "using me". when i've done successfully one of them traded me, and gave me free glory (and i didn't knew wat glory is, wear and said hmm nice) and that's my first member item :)[/hide]

so...i say that may be the only negative thing about jagex putting map ingame :-#

want_a_box.png

I loved exploring. I had no idea what these things called law runes were, there was no home teleport, and I spent months just exploring the world. I remember getting a friend to take me to the Gnome Stronghold, but he had to logout, and I had to find my way back. I was so happy when I found civilisation, Ardougne, it took my 30 minutes to reach there :D

Good times <3:

Retired Tip.It Crew Mapper.

No offence to anybody who does or has done this, but why do people ask 'What should i do when i get members?'

I see threads like that all the time here on tipit, and it utterly confuses me.

When i first became a member, a majority of the fun was exploring the new places, not knowing what i was getting myself into, having a whole new world to explore. Doing any random quests i found while 'trying' to find this place called Ardougne i had heard about. If i could, i would erase any memory i have of the members world just to start over again, wandering aimlessly through the new world.

I had a few friends at the time who had just become members aswell, and we all enjoyed this exploration, i even remember 3 of us, following each other doing the first treasure trail one of us had found, wandering all across runescape doing it for a black battleaxe at the end.

But now, it seems people just want to get straight to the point, straight into training a new skill to x level, or getting x peice of content, where is the fun in that?

It even happens with new quests sometimes, people will wait for others to explore new areas, so they can just get straight to the best part of it and gain x item, or train x skill again. How fun? :?

Do people not like to just explore new areas anymore?

Also, i'd like to know what others do when they first have access to a new area, or when you first got members.

Agreed. I've never had more fun in RuneScape than the times when I was exploring.

Join Future Update News! The longest running update speculation thread on the RSOF, currently on its 24 Edition

QFC 16-17-671-59680498

314v28z.jpg

Thanks to Killerwat for the sig!

well since im not p2p i cant really say why or why not, but when i played first few times it was doing some skill or quest a bit and that brought me to new places (varrok spend 1 hour going thru each house XD) . afther taking a break of 2 years and coming back like 2-3 weeks ago i spend 2 hours walking around refreshing my memory and see how it looks in high detail.

i might be getting p2p in a few weeks so there will be a post in help on wat i should do first but more in a way that i can unlock new places and items. i dont like walking around for nothing but if a quest or skill takes me there i always check it out.

I have fond memories of exploring, particularly doing those treasure hunts from Making History (I still have all of the Mjolnirs <3: ) and doing the 150th quest without a guide (Which sounds pathetic I know :lol: , but it had been the first time in a while that I was left to my own devices). My favorite feeling of acomplishment exploring usually comes from unlocking new songs, even though I already have the air guitar emote, it still gives me such a rush ::' .

http://i700.photobucket.com/albums/ww6/aspeeder/Siggy_zpsewaiux2t.png

99 Strength since 6/02/10 99 Attack since 9/19/10 99 Constitution since 10/03/10 99 Defense since 3/14/11

99 Slayer since 8/30/11 99 Summoning since 9/10/11 99 Ranged since 09/18/11 99 Magic since 11/12/11

99 Prayer since 11/15/11 99 Herblore since 3/29/12 99 Firemaking since 5/15/12 99 Smithing since 10/04/12

99 Crafting since 9/16/13 99 Agility since 9/23/13 99 Dungeoneering since 1/1/14 99 Fishing since 2/4/14

99 Mining since 2/28/14 99 Farming since 6/04/14 99 Cooking since 6/11/14 99 Runecrafting since 10/10/14

9 Fletching since 11/11/14 99 Thieving since 11/14/14 99 Woodcutting since 11/20/14 99 Construction since 12/03/14

99 Divination since 2/22/15 99 Hunter since 2/23/15 99 Invention since 01/20/17 99 Archaeology since 5/14/22
Quest Point Cape since 08/20/09
Maxed since 2/23/15 Fire Cape since 02/27/13
Slayer: 3 Leaf-Bladed Swords, 8 Black Masks, 2 Hexcrests, 26 Granite Mauls, 5 Focus Sights, 32 Abyssal Whips, 9 Dark Bows, 1 Whip Vine, 3 Staffs of Light, 15 Polypore Sticks

Dragon: 9 Draconic Visages, 7 Shield Left Halves, 20 Dragon Boots, 40 Dragon Med Helms, 8 Dragon Platelegs, 6 Dragon Spears, 20 Dragon Daggers, 5 Dragon Plateskirts, 1 Dragon Chainbody, 63 Off-hand Dragon Throwing Axes, 19 Dragon Longswords, 27 Dragon Maces, 1 Dragon Ward
Treasure Trails: Saradomin Full Helm, Ranger Boots, Rune Body (t), Saradomin Vambraces, Various God Pages
Misc:1 Onyx,1 Ahrim's Hood, 1 Guthan's Chainskirt, 1 Demon Slayer Boots