Why Don't People Explore Anymore?

Danqazmlp

I enjoy exploring.

The first thing I did when I became a member was see what was on the other side of that door by Goblin village (Taverly).

When I was going for 99 magic, I would wander the world wile is was High alching (you can walk and alch at the same time) looking for places I rarely visit.

Also My favorite is Rune Crafting because you get to move around wile doing it.

I'm not a very idle person :)

Prism_Swords.png

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It really has nothing to do with "nowadays." There's no giant movement away from exploring. For the most part, the people who want to are still doing it, and the people who don't want to aren't.

I disagree, from what i see, the game has turned into more of a race to get exp and gain ranks. Without the, what i would call 'Pressure' to train atm (which comes from things like skillcapes), i think alot more people would be off doing thigns that didn't gain exp than currently do.

Want to be my friend? Look under my name to the left<<< and click the 'Add as friend' button!

zqXeV.jpg

Big thanks to Stevepole for the signature!^

People have tried to tell me that my experience doesn't equal up to knowledge of a subject and that is just a really ignorant thing to say. If you just get out of law school and someone hires you onto their firm, chances are you won't be stupid, but you won't have as much experience in the field than some of the oldest members of that firm will. They know more about how things will run and have more life experiences to draw upon than you do. You will gain that in time.

Some people gain experience in life faster than others. Some don't see the same things others do. Some people get a chance to see the whole picture, or more of it than others, and base their opinions on what they've seen.

Point is, is I feel I've seen more of this game than a lot of players. Not all, but most. (We're talking about millions of people that have created accounts) I partake in skilling, minigames, grinding, combat, pvp community events and all the new updates. I've read the rs manual and all the fansites many times over and have retained an immense amount of knowledge on the game. I have spent hours and hours of time (and I really mean hundreds) doing different things in game that force me to be around people of all kinds. I also have had about 5 different homeworlds in my time and that gives me some more coverage. I've encountered people of all kinds and players of all levels and experience. I'm always at a new update the day of its release and will finish or accomplish the reward that same day if possible.

Believe it or not, I've never asked another player for help on this game regarding knowledge or exploration. If I can't find something, I look it up in the manual. If I need to know an exact exp amount, I do the same. What my point was, is that there are easy ways of becoming knowledgable about this game. Most people now though won't do that. They will seek help from high leveled players because usually we "know more."

This is my concern. When I was low level I never needed help. I was independent and that made the game fun. Figuring out something on your own instead of relying on other people gives you a sense of pride, and once you get the hang of it, you become better at figuring things out faster. Runescape in the grand scheme of things is one of the easiest games out there. It's not like you need to be really intelligent to play. This is why I'm like, "Really? You need me to help you with something you could have already figured out in the time it took to ask me?"

It's like children that go into their room to look for something and only glance around the room. They come back to you saying they can't find it and need your help. You go in the room and find it in 5 seconds simply by lifting up some clothes or looking in a drawer. The kid didn't do ANY work to try to figure it out on their own. They are still a child because they lack basic skills or desires to find things on their own, and often I feel that's what I have to deal with when I play RS. Children.

You can find this harsh or bias or rudely opinionated, but this topic was opened up to discuss our opinions on people and those who don't want to explore, and that is what I am doing. Giving my opinion and backing it up with personal experience. I could be someone who comes and says "People are lazy and stupid," and not put reasoning behind it. Be glad I'm not.

And to end all of my discussion (because really this topic is just wasting my time now) I will say that I am allowed to care as strongly or as weakly about something as I like. It's my body and mind and they are my opinions. If you think I'm making too large a deal out of it, then just don't even bother responding, knowing that I will retort with as much evidence and debate as I can.

archsupportei2.png

outsanitysig1jc0.png

|2,300+ Total|138 Combat|12 Lvl 99 Skills|99 Slayer|blogbutton.png

People have tried to tell me that my experience doesn't equal up to knowledge of a subject and that is just a really ignorant thing to say. If you just get out of law school and someone hires you onto their firm, chances are you won't be stupid, but you won't have as much experience in the field than some of the oldest members of that firm will. They know more about how things will run and have more life experiences to draw upon than you do. You will gain that in time.

Some people gain experience in life faster than others. Some don't see the same things others do. Some people get a chance to see the whole picture, or more of it than others, and base their opinions on what they've seen.

Point is, is I feel I've seen more of this game than a lot of players. Not all, but most. (We're talking about millions of people that have created accounts) I partake in skilling, minigames, grinding, combat, pvp community events and all the new updates. I've read the rs manual and all the fansites many times over and have retained an immense amount of knowledge on the game. I have spent hours and hours of time (and I really mean hundreds) doing different things in game that force me to be around people of all kinds. I also have had about 5 different homeworlds in my time and that gives me some more coverage. I've encountered people of all kinds and players of all levels and experience. I'm always at a new update the day of its release and will finish or accomplish the reward that same day if possible.

Believe it or not, I've never asked another player for help on this game regarding knowledge or exploration. If I can't find something, I look it up in the manual. If I need to know an exact exp amount, I do the same. What my point was, is that there are easy ways of becoming knowledgable about this game. Most people now though won't do that. They will seek help from high leveled players because usually we "know more."

This is my concern. When I was low level I never needed help. I was independent and that made the game fun. Figuring out something on your own instead of relying on other people gives you a sense of pride, and once you get the hang of it, you become better at figuring things out faster. Runescape in the grand scheme of things is one of the easiest games out there. It's not like you need to be really intelligent to play. This is why I'm like, "Really? You need me to help you with something you could have already figured out in the time it took to ask me?"

It's like children that go into their room to look for something and only glance around the room. They come back to you saying they can't find it and need your help. You go in the room and find it in 5 seconds simply by lifting up some clothes or looking in a drawer. The kid didn't do ANY work to try to figure it out on their own. They are still a child because they lack basic skills or desires to find things on their own, and often I feel that's what I have to deal with when I play RS. Children.

You can find this harsh or bias or rudely opinionated, but this topic was opened up to discuss our opinions on people and those who don't want to explore, and that is what I am doing. Giving my opinion and backing it up with personal experience. I could be someone who comes and says "People are lazy and stupid," and not put reasoning behind it. Be glad I'm not.

And to end all of my discussion (because really this topic is just wasting my time now) I will say that I am allowed to care as strongly or as weakly about something as I like. It's my body and mind and they are my opinions. If you think I'm making too large a deal out of it, then just don't even bother responding, knowing that I will retort with as much evidence and debate as I can.

It's a pretty far cry between "I hate it when people do this" and "All the new players do this and it's ruining the game." You may be right on the first point, but you're wrong on the second, and if you really want to retort with as much evidence as you can, I'd like to see that.

What updates have given you an indication that Jagex is only going to impliment updates that help the grinders? Your saying things without examples or references.

Games are an escape, and if people want to be totally innoculated with training a skill for a couple of hours to get away from life, why not let them? Your seemingly saying that if people aren't doing things the way you want them to, then they can't possibly be having fun.

To avoid more stupid posts, make some references please. :pray:

"Only implement updates"? Stop twisting my words. Jagex are releasing updates that make the game easier but not all of them are geared to it.. Such as skill capes, the quest-helper thing, grand exchange, Make X, and other easier methods of skilling.

Of course, whatever floats their boats, but I can't stop to think that what the grinders do is a tad routine and boring. If everybody does the same thing, it's not exciting you know what I mean?

This is starting to hurt my head. Didn't even realize I was twisting your words, sorry. I'm having a hard time understanding, how does Make X not make the game easier? Rephrase it please?

Can't really argue about matters of opinion, so I won't try to dissuade you. Whatever floats their boat. I did the ape atoll agility course to get 99 so you know. I'm not a grinder, Doresh-kaan was faster. Ape had more people; in reality I'm the example your trying to prove doesn't exist.

[hide=Eh?]

[/hide]

Jeesome, you remind me of a teacher I had last year. Going on and on about God knows what, arriving at a conclusion that no one can follow. Concise that up for me; if your still around.

What dan said v

I agree games are an excape, i guess it's down to more people now-days finding grinding towards goals more fun than exploring a CG world. That or they just seem much more notice-able.

But i do ask, if anybody does grind skill all the time, and doesen't enjoy it, (if it applies to anybody here) why do you do it? Try exploring, you won't be gaining any ranks or exp, but if you try to find some far-flung areas, examine anything strange you see, that time will stick in your mind and go much quicker than any grinding will.

I just have a problem with how you generalized everyone into not exploring. I mean I explore all the time. I led the fishing guild on a parade from nardah to the lighthouse then to relleka then to camelot. That's 45 minutes of walking. O_O

So saying no one explores is just blasphemous to me. People still examine things dan come on, your acting like all us players with ADHD are gone. :P

4455.jpg

Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Oscar Wilde

This is starting to hurt my head. Didn't even realize I was twisting your words, sorry. I'm having a hard time understanding, how does Make X not make the game easier? Rephrase it please?

You know what I did? I wrote down "Jagex are releasing updates that make the game easier. Such as skill capes..." then added the " but not all of them are geared to it.." later on the post. As you can notice by the two periods...lol. My bad. :lol:

"The cry of the poor is not always just, but if you never hear it you'll never know what justice is."

siggy3s.jpg

Because whenever I explore, I end up needing items to go farther, and when I don't have them it infuriates me to no end ([bleep]ed boots, diving helmet..etc).

Once you've been around the game awhile, there isn't anything to explore to be honest. It's like trying to forget how to ride a bike and re-teach yourself. No matter how hard you try your logic tells you that cutting willows at Draynor is faster than 1 willow that you found in the wilderness.

:wall:

"To all you youngsters reading this, if you are under 25 STOP PLAYING THIS GAME RIGHT NOW. Life is to short and you are only that young once. Trust me when i say this, take advantage of the girls now. Once they are 25+ and have been around a few times they arnt dumb anymore, the fun is all over."

--BAHAHAHAHAHAH.

Jeesome, you remind me of a teacher I had last year. Going on and on about God knows what, arriving at a conclusion that no one can follow. Concise that up for me; if your still around.

Laymen's Terms: I have more experience and knowledge of the game. There is a broader spectrum of the game's players I have met than a lot of people. Experience = knowledge = my arguments retain more water than someone with less of each. Unlike some people on this thread I don't spew out thoughts without making sure I know what I am talking about first.

I'm sorry I had to dumb down my thoughts for you. I get the feeling you saw a wall of text and you turned off to reading it. That's ok though now that I've made it clearer for you.

:roll:

archsupportei2.png

outsanitysig1jc0.png

Laymen's Terms: I have more experience and knowledge of the game. There is a broader spectrum of the game's players I have met than a lot of people. Experience = knowledge = my arguments retain more water than someone with less of each. Unlike some people on this thread I don't spew out thoughts without making sure I know what I am talking about first.

So basically you're pulling an appeal to authority on us? Anyone can do that though:

"I am Zierro the great. I have won many debates. Therefore, I am correct here."

I'm sorry I had to dumb down my thoughts for you. I get the feeling you saw a wall of text and you turned off to reading it. That's ok though now that I've made it clearer for you.

I read all of it twice and still didn't get your main point. :| If credibility is what you're trying to seek, it's not a very wise idea to make accusations like that.

I could be someone who comes and says "People are lazy and stupid," and not put reasoning behind it. Be glad I'm not.

Yeah... Instead, you just talk about yourself and how experienced you are and use that as your reasoning and support. To be honest, I'd rather you be one of those people that say, "people are lazy and stupid".

It really just sounds to me like you're doing everything in your power to make me feel arrogant for knowing my experience in the game exceeds the average player's experience. Well, it's not working. I think it's truthful and blunt and a lot of people here can't handle that. I get it.

Have your opinions of me and of the game. At the end of the day no one's won anything. But I do suggest you talk a waltz through the Runescape Official Forums once in a while just to see exactly how many "I want it easy and fast," kinds of people there are. There's more than the people who are grateful for challenges, I'll tell you that.

archsupportei2.png

outsanitysig1jc0.png

Heh, sorry, I like to know what I'm responding to. So your saying that because you've played the game longer than me, that I should listen to what you have to say? :mrgreen:

Now that I have my arrogant comment out of the way. I'm not doubting the existence of people who grind for the sake of grinding. I just don't have a problem with them like you do. I have no moral obligation to raise an attack against them.

4455.jpg

Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Oscar Wilde

Exploring, I did it when I first became a member, I opened up the world map saw this place, I was like "Cool! I want to go!" So me and my friend set out to go there.We never did take much because we might die. But I ended up with lots of started quests.

Munchful.png

9839.png

99 Cooking achieved Sunday, September 13th, 2009.

99 Woodcutting achieved Friday, December 11th, 2009.

All skills above 50, July 25th, 2008.

All quests completed as of March 23rd, 2009.

You know what beats experience? Evidence. Here, let me give you an example. I'm arguing against the suggestion that there is a trend that "people don't explore anymore." I'll provide some evidence then, shall I?

[hide=Evidence]

I've always wished I could erase everything I knew about Runescape from my mind and start over. The most fun I ever had while playing the game was back in the day where I got lost everywhere, killed by everything, etc. Not having a clue what to do was just so much fun. Now, as hard as I try I can't do that, I already know where everything is.

i agree. i remember looking forward to becoming a member and then all the exploring. i even got lost alot of times but that was the fun of it!i like exploring places, but the problem is, to few places. jagex should wrok on instead of some sort of graphical update, a land area update! :thumbsup: like increase the land area with tons more new towns, places, and people.

I enjoy exploring.

The first thing I did when I became a member was see what was on the other side of that door by Goblin village (Taverly).

When I was going for 99 magic, I would wander the world wile is was High alching (you can walk and alch at the same time) looking for places I rarely visit.

Ah the days of new membership. Happy memories.

Story time.

A few years ago when my parents decided that is wasn't okay for me to be playing videogames I was only allowed to go on the web for research. And research I did, mostly castlewars \' .

When they decided it was okay for me to play games again I asked them if it was okay to borrow their credit card to get members. Answer is "Yes". Boom I get members. The first thing I do is ask my ex-member friend where castlewars was. The next 3-4 hours of my life were spent trying to find out how to get over this huge mountain with wolves on it, sheesh what wolf in their right mind would want to stay on one mountain their whole lives. After multiple attempts to jump off the cliff onto this unknown beach I gave up and decided to walk around a bit. Amazingly after a bit of wandering I find myself looking up at aforementioned cliff wondering how I got there. Then out came the handy dandy world map that didn't work as I had hoped (ended up in this place called yanille a few times went back up to ardougne then got lost in a forest of trees oh how fun). Well the story ended up like this: I found my way to castlewars, played about 7 rounds, won 2, said "This stinks" then proceeded to pickpocket men. THE END

I remember that I kept looking on the map on the west side of runescape, east seemed like a big pile of crap, north was wildy so nty and west was so much bigger and so much more interesting... so when I got members I went through taverly... wolf mountain... catherbay....seers village... done some dwarf quest for the coal mine there... went south through ardoughe.... south to yannile.... west past ogres and into castle wars where I was scared that I'd lose my items... (there was NO place in f2p where you wouldn't lose your items at the time) actually got a few kills there and went east to the ogres to get lvl 40-70 attack for whip, and after I got it, I was expecting some sort of 45 hit but.... only ~18 instead.... well it was still fun exploring! best time in rs, everything was "new content" for me

This brings back some memories. When I first started RuneScape, I couldn't wait until I had 10,000 gp. I had decided that when I had made that amount of money I would take half of it and go exploring. I was knew to the game, and exploring some of the places was great fun. Constantly coming across new NPC's to talk to, many new quests to start, and many shifty characters. I ended up dieing to level 22 skeleton's in Crandor Isle.

About six months after this, I made a pure (they were all the rage back then :P) and I decided to get members. I used about 15 days of my month of members exploring, it was an amazing feeling seeing all the new areas, and all the different monsters which I hadn't even heard of.

Now I have seen everything there really is to see in the game. There's no new areas to explore, there's hasn't been a huge NPC update.

When the High Definition graphics were released to free players, I spent a very long time just roaming around, and got the old feeling that I hadn't had for a long time. It was very nice(great update), but got old a lot quicker than I would've liked.

I think players will explore a lot more when getting members, or even exploring just for fun in free to play if the map was substantially increased. From what I've heard, I'm sure that there will be some type of map increase this year, and I am greatly looking forward to it, and hope to have that special feeling return when I see new places.

Even though I'm F2P, I still "explore" once in a while. I'll walk around the long way instead of teleporting (not always, but sometimes), or I'll just walk around aimlessly when I get too bored of skilling. I've found a lot of new features while doing this.

Anyway, the first thing I did when I became member... I remember thieving on men in lumbridge for a good hour, then I decided that I wanted to walk across the falador-taverly gate and just explore everything across it. I remember almost dying on White Wolf Mountain, but I barely made it. I remember walking to to Ardougne and doing Clock Tower and Hazeel Cult (I didn't even know that guides existed at the time), the quests that sparked the quest interest I still have today.

Agreed. I've never had more fun in RuneScape than the times when I was exploring.

well since im not p2p i cant really say why or why not, but when i played first few times it was doing some skill or quest a bit and that brought me to new places (varrok spend 1 hour going thru each house XD) . afther taking a break of 2 years and coming back like 2-3 weeks ago i spend 2 hours walking around refreshing my memory and see how it looks in high detail.

i might be getting p2p in a few weeks so there will be a post in help on wat i should do first but more in a way that i can unlock new places and items. i dont like walking around for nothing but if a quest or skill takes me there i always check it out.

I have fond memories of exploring, particularly doing those treasure hunts from Making History (I still have all of the Mjolnirs <3: ) and doing the 150th quest without a guide (Which sounds pathetic I know :lol: , but it had been the first time in a while that I was left to my own devices). My favorite feeling of acomplishment exploring usually comes from unlocking new songs, even though I already have the air guitar emote, it still gives me such a rush ::' .

I love you.

You just brought back my memories of being a level 17(yes i got mem at level 17) noob wandering around the members world.

The way you described it is exactly how it went down. just wandering around, looking for a certain city. And coming across a quest, and doing it.

I remember i spent most of my time around seers village. And sitting in seer's bank asking to buy a item i needed to finish a quest or something.

And i would do that too. Be able to erase my memory of RS(only temporarily though) and make a new account. And just wander around... *Insert dazed look here*

I remember when I got member and did Regicide, I took loads of tools (Rope, hammer, knife, etc) and went to the door of the.. elf city that's locked (Pri... something, you know?) and tried to open the door by using rope with only stuff and trying to dig with a spade.... the best 3 hours of my life....

It's also by exploring that at lv 27 I met my best friend ever (ILU Floogudsnot6 <3: ) while he was air striking chickens south of seers. Ahh good ol' times....

I cant talk for others but when I first got members I went around and explored areas. I imagine it is a bit bigger now though.

I began getting quest requirements so I could unlock the areas.

I explored A LOT before and after getting P2P. There was no convenient world map back then. I didn't know where each area connected. Ardougne was a Wondrous place. And so was Yanille. And every random building, and every random dungeon.

I love 'semi-secret' content. The best examples of which are perhaps the Mage Arena, or Yanille Dungeon. There's no big flashy sign in game; if you don't hear it by word of mouth, you don't know about it until you find it yourself. It's a shame they don't do this often anymore, or when they do, it's somewhat or entirely useless. Example of a useless on: Pressing Iron Bars into sheets to sell for 40gp each at Piscatoris.

I really do love exploring though. That's why it takes me so long to finish ANY game that gives you a 'full' environment. FEAR had me searching behind every single office cubicle... :lol:

Too bad I know every single inch of RuneScape now. Except for maybe under Waterbirth, or Tarn's Lair, or the maze of Rogue's Den...

I sure did love to explore. I remember being so happy when I found that shortcut from falador to draynor through the barbarian village/draynor manor. I didn't really open the world map until i became a member, and the beginner's map was pretty lame, so I just walked around trying to find a city. Not knowing how big the dark wizards circle was, i always used to run through the gates varrock or walk around the fence there. I also used to think "look at all these silly people, teleporting where they want to go. I'd rather run. Now I'm to lazy to go from varrock to falador :lol:

I remember when I first started I remember trying to make money to get through the gate to Al Kharid and then after I spent my money getting through the gate I figured out there was an open entrance at the top. :(

I like to go on random exploring expeditions. I just recently explored the troll area. Didn't get too far. I think the lack of exploring comes from people already knowing how to do basic things in members. People already know where some of the major areas are, likely due to easier access to the world map. Some new members also have a better idea of what certain skills involve. When I became a member I had no idea of how to train agility or farming or slayer, so I neglected them and did other things. But a lot of new members have a bit of knowledge on the subject and some care about them, so they ask how to level them. I, probably like a lot of you, didn't care. Again, I think new players know enough to want to do something other than explore, partially through more knowledge being put in the game and the world map for helping people know where to go, rather than figuring it out themselves.

Did that even make sense?

First thing I did when I got members was climb over White Wolf Mountain (it was scary I was only level 50-something). I couldn't teleport to Camelot either! :o After which I camped in Catherby raising my fishing level eventually leaving to explore the world!

when i first got members i walked all the way from faladar to yanille just to visit the hunter store..:P en then got to the feldip hills :P i think i'm going to explore morytania and karamja after 99 woodcutting so im still exploring ;)

I'm level 130 with over 1900 total and I still enjoy exploring. Once in a while I'll walk from lumbridge to the elven lands, then walk from the elven lands to the desert, morytania, karamja, ect ect.

It's a fun experience, even better when friends decide to join me.

I was still pretty new to the game when I got membership. I was around a lvl 20. The first thing I did in the game was exactly what you pointed out. I found a map of the world and I walked all over it, since my Magic was too low to teleport anywhere. If any members haven't explored the world on foot, I'd recommend it. Of course, eventually everything gets explored, then it's off to the races. I think the last time I went "exploring" was to check out the new graphics when HD was released.
[/hide]

See, I have provided a nice fat chunk of evidence that proves there are still plenty of people who like to explore. Thus, I am right. :ugeek:

You know what beats experience? Evidence. Here, let me give you an example. I'm arguing against the suggestion that there is a trend that "people don't explore anymore." I'll provide some evidence then, shall I?

[hide=Evidence]

I've always wished I could erase everything I knew about Runescape from my mind and start over. The most fun I ever had while playing the game was back in the day where I got lost everywhere, killed by everything, etc. Not having a clue what to do was just so much fun. Now, as hard as I try I can't do that, I already know where everything is.

i agree. i remember looking forward to becoming a member and then all the exploring. i even got lost alot of times but that was the fun of it!i like exploring places, but the problem is, to few places. jagex should wrok on instead of some sort of graphical update, a land area update! :thumbsup: like increase the land area with tons more new towns, places, and people.

I enjoy exploring.

Story time.

A few years ago when my parents decided that is wasn't okay for me to be playing videogames I was only allowed to go on the web for research. And research I did, mostly castlewars \' .

When they decided it was okay for me to play games again I asked them if it was okay to borrow their credit card to get members. Answer is "Yes". Boom I get members. The first thing I do is ask my ex-member friend where castlewars was. The next 3-4 hours of my life were spent trying to find out how to get over this huge mountain with wolves on it, sheesh what wolf in their right mind would want to stay on one mountain their whole lives. After multiple attempts to jump off the cliff onto this unknown beach I gave up and decided to walk around a bit. Amazingly after a bit of wandering I find myself looking up at aforementioned cliff wondering how I got there. Then out came the handy dandy world map that didn't work as I had hoped (ended up in this place called yanille a few times went back up to ardougne then got lost in a forest of trees oh how fun). Well the story ended up like this: I found my way to castlewars, played about 7 rounds, won 2, said "This stinks" then proceeded to pickpocket men. THE END

I remember that I kept looking on the map on the west side of runescape, east seemed like a big pile of crap, north was wildy so nty and west was so much bigger and so much more interesting... so when I got members I went through taverly... wolf mountain... catherbay....seers village... done some dwarf quest for the coal mine there... went south through ardoughe.... south to yannile.... west past ogres and into castle wars where I was scared that I'd lose my items... (there was NO place in f2p where you wouldn't lose your items at the time) actually got a few kills there and went east to the ogres to get lvl 40-70 attack for whip, and after I got it, I was expecting some sort of 45 hit but.... only ~18 instead.... well it was still fun exploring! best time in rs, everything was "new content" for me

This brings back some memories. When I first started RuneScape, I couldn't wait until I had 10,000 gp. I had decided that when I had made that amount of money I would take half of it and go exploring. I was knew to the game, and exploring some of the places was great fun. Constantly coming across new NPC's to talk to, many new quests to start, and many shifty characters. I ended up dieing to level 22 skeleton's in Crandor Isle.

About six months after this, I made a pure (they were all the rage back then :P) and I decided to get members. I used about 15 days of my month of members exploring, it was an amazing feeling seeing all the new areas, and all the different monsters which I hadn't even heard of.

Now I have seen everything there really is to see in the game. There's no new areas to explore, there's hasn't been a huge NPC update.

When the High Definition graphics were released to free players, I spent a very long time just roaming around, and got the old feeling that I hadn't had for a long time. It was very nice(great update), but got old a lot quicker than I would've liked.

I think players will explore a lot more when getting members, or even exploring just for fun in free to play if the map was substantially increased. From what I've heard, I'm sure that there will be some type of map increase this year, and I am greatly looking forward to it, and hope to have that special feeling return when I see new places.

Even though I'm F2P, I still "explore" once in a while. I'll walk around the long way instead of teleporting (not always, but sometimes), or I'll just walk around aimlessly when I get too bored of skilling. I've found a lot of new features while doing this.

Anyway, the first thing I did when I became member... I remember thieving on men in lumbridge for a good hour, then I decided that I wanted to walk across the falador-taverly gate and just explore everything across it. I remember almost dying on White Wolf Mountain, but I barely made it. I remember walking to to Ardougne and doing Clock Tower and Hazeel Cult (I didn't even know that guides existed at the time), the quests that sparked the quest interest I still have today.

Agreed. I've never had more fun in RuneScape than the times when I was exploring.

well since im not p2p i cant really say why or why not, but when i played first few times it was doing some skill or quest a bit and that brought me to new places (varrok spend 1 hour going thru each house XD) . afther taking a break of 2 years and coming back like 2-3 weeks ago i spend 2 hours walking around refreshing my memory and see how it looks in high detail.

i might be getting p2p in a few weeks so there will be a post in help on wat i should do first but more in a way that i can unlock new places and items. i dont like walking around for nothing but if a quest or skill takes me there i always check it out.

I have fond memories of exploring, particularly doing those treasure hunts from Making History (I still have all of the Mjolnirs <3: ) and doing the 150th quest without a guide (Which sounds pathetic I know :lol: , but it had been the first time in a while that I was left to my own devices). My favorite feeling of acomplishment exploring usually comes from unlocking new songs, even though I already have the air guitar emote, it still gives me such a rush ::' .

I love you.

You just brought back my memories of being a level 17(yes i got mem at level 17) noob wandering around the members world.

The way you described it is exactly how it went down. just wandering around, looking for a certain city. And coming across a quest, and doing it.

I remember i spent most of my time around seers village. And sitting in seer's bank asking to buy a item i needed to finish a quest or something.

And i would do that too. Be able to erase my memory of RS(only temporarily though) and make a new account. And just wander around... *Insert dazed look here*

I remember when I got member and did Regicide, I took loads of tools (Rope, hammer, knife, etc) and went to the door of the.. elf city that's locked (Pri... something, you know?) and tried to open the door by using rope with only stuff and trying to dig with a spade.... the best 3 hours of my life....

It's also by exploring that at lv 27 I met my best friend ever (ILU Floogudsnot6 <3: ) while he was air striking chickens south of seers. Ahh good ol' times....

I cant talk for others but when I first got members I went around and explored areas. I imagine it is a bit bigger now though.

I explored A LOT before and after getting P2P. There was no convenient world map back then. I didn't know where each area connected. Ardougne was a Wondrous place. And so was Yanille. And every random building, and every random dungeon.

I love 'semi-secret' content. The best examples of which are perhaps the Mage Arena, or Yanille Dungeon. There's no big flashy sign in game; if you don't hear it by word of mouth, you don't know about it until you find it yourself. It's a shame they don't do this often anymore, or when they do, it's somewhat or entirely useless. Example of a useless on: Pressing Iron Bars into sheets to sell for 40gp each at Piscatoris.

I really do love exploring though. That's why it takes me so long to finish ANY game that gives you a 'full' environment. FEAR had me searching behind every single office cubicle... :lol:

Too bad I know every single inch of RuneScape now. Except for maybe under Waterbirth, or Tarn's Lair, or the maze of Rogue's Den...

I sure did love to explore. I remember being so happy when I found that shortcut from falador to draynor through the barbarian village/draynor manor. I didn't really open the world map until i became a member, and the beginner's map was pretty lame, so I just walked around trying to find a city. Not knowing how big the dark wizards circle was, i always used to run through the gates varrock or walk around the fence there. I also used to think "look at all these silly people, teleporting where they want to go. I'd rather run. Now I'm to lazy to go from varrock to falador :lol:

I remember when I first started I remember trying to make money to get through the gate to Al Kharid and then after I spent my money getting through the gate I figured out there was an open entrance at the top. :(

I like to go on random exploring expeditions. I just recently explored the troll area. Didn't get too far. I think the lack of exploring comes from people already knowing how to do basic things in members. People already know where some of the major areas are, likely due to easier access to the world map. Some new members also have a better idea of what certain skills involve. When I became a member I had no idea of how to train agility or farming or slayer, so I neglected them and did other things. But a lot of new members have a bit of knowledge on the subject and some care about them, so they ask how to level them. I, probably like a lot of you, didn't care. Again, I think new players know enough to want to do something other than explore, partially through more knowledge being put in the game and the world map for helping people know where to go, rather than figuring it out themselves.

First thing I did when I got members was climb over White Wolf Mountain (it was scary I was only level 50-something). I couldn't teleport to Camelot either! :o After which I camped in Catherby raising my fishing level eventually leaving to explore the world!

when i first got members i walked all the way from faladar to yanille just to visit the hunter store..:P en then got to the feldip hills :P i think i'm going to explore morytania and karamja after 99 woodcutting so im still exploring ;)

I'm level 130 with over 1900 total and I still enjoy exploring. Once in a while I'll walk from lumbridge to the elven lands, then walk from the elven lands to the desert, morytania, karamja, ect ect.

I was still pretty new to the game when I got membership. I was around a lvl 20. The first thing I did in the game was exactly what you pointed out. I found a map of the world and I walked all over it, since my Magic was too low to teleport anywhere. If any members haven't explored the world on foot, I'd recommend it. Of course, eventually everything gets explored, then it's off to the races. I think the last time I went "exploring" was to check out the new graphics when HD was released.
[/hide]

See, I have provided a nice fat chunk of evidence that proves there are still plenty of people who like to explore. Thus, I am right. :ugeek:

Although in alot of those statements, people have used the lines 'when i first became a member....' and don't give a timescale, they could have only really explored years ago, but not anymore.

It seems people are taking my posts too literally, it amy sound like i'm making sweeping generalisations saying that nobody explores and everybody is grinding etc, but that isn't what im trying to say, i'm trying to get across that from what i can see, alot less people go around just to get away and have fun, than did when i first started.

Want to be my friend? Look under my name to the left<<< and click the 'Add as friend' button!

zqXeV.jpg

Big thanks to Stevepole for the signature!^

[hide=Evidence]

I enjoy exploring.

Story time.

I love you.

[/hide]

Although in alot of those statements, people have used the lines 'when i first became a member....' and don't give a timescale, they could have only really explored years ago, but not anymore.

It seems people are taking my posts too literally, it amy sound like i'm making sweeping generalisations saying that nobody explores and everybody is grinding etc, but that isn't what im trying to say, i'm trying to get across that from what i can see, alot less people go around just to get away and have fun, than did when i first started.

"A lot less people than when I first started" is a sweeping generalization.

Think of it this way. How many other people did you see exploring when you were doing it? It's a pretty solitary activity. When people go out exploring, they don't need to tell you about it. They just do it. In contrast, when people ask you for help, they have to actually talk to you. When you went exploring, did you pm all of your friends to say, "Hey guys, I'm trying to find the Mjolnirs right now!"?

One activity is solitary and the other is social. So obviously you're going to hear more of your friends ask you for help than explore, because when people explore, they don't bother to tell you. You can't hear them when they're exploring. Make sense?

I explore!

:thumbsup: First thing I did when I got members was grab half-decent but light weight armor, decent food (lobbies that were left over from fishing and cooking), some weapons, and went 'sploring. When I was bored and still had a ton of unstarted quests that I could do, I went wandering and offered to help random people, then wandered off, offered to help someone else, and after I had accumulated a backlog I went to the quest guides and retraced my helping steps and finished those quests. One I remember the most is starting the chompy hunting quest; I was south of Yanille, wander wander wander ohhhh quest start icon!

Orrr, say, more recently, Making History. Wander wander wander... eh? ohhh, little house with a start icon... :twisted: Shiiiny.

-.- Spirit of Summer, to my eternal horror, was the same. And now I have a unfinished sequel to an awesome quest sitting in my quest list, sending me accusing looks and calling me a wimp.

Balance may be power, but chaos is still pretty damn fun.

Lielac.png

Canada can't be second rate, polar bears are their main mode of transportation.

Troacctid, no one is going to admit they don't like exploring. And anyway, what you gave me wasn't evidence. You gave me a few quotes from posters on this thread. On Tip.It. A community known to be better than the average RSOF poster and "other" fansite member. If I went onto the official forums I could easily come back and give you just as many, if not more, quotes of people complaining about having to train to levels for quests and about how things need more "make-x" options, etc etc.

I choose not to give you quotes because, like all of your arugments so far, you're telling me you have facts when you have none. What I tell you isn't fact, but opinion. My argument is my opinion is worth more than, and yeah I'll say it, yours, simply because I've been around longer, played longer and have met more variety of players because I do pretty much everything in the game. I also spend a bit of time on the RSOF, which have insane amounts of players on them, and if you went on yourself you'd know what kind of outrage ensues when people have to work on leveling skills to be able to do something.

Most people want things easier. That's why we get updates. That's why Jagex is making this an upgrade year. People want to have to work less for things to get the same result. There's really no point in denying it. And even if you do it doesn't matter because it's all right in front of you.

archsupportei2.png

outsanitysig1jc0.png

Troacctid, no one is going to admit they don't like exploring. And anyway, what you gave me wasn't evidence. You gave me a few quotes from posters on this thread. On Tip.It. A community known to be better than the average RSOF poster and "other" fansite member. If I went onto the official forums I could easily come back and give you just as many, if not more, quotes of people complaining about having to train to levels for quests and about how things need more "make-x" options, etc etc.

I choose not to give you quotes because, like all of your arugments so far, you're telling me you have facts when you have none. What I tell you isn't fact, but opinion. My argument is my opinion is worth more than, and yeah I'll say it, yours, simply because I've been around longer, played longer and have met more variety of players because I do pretty much everything in the game. I also spend a bit of time on the RSOF, which have insane amounts of players on them, and if you went on yourself you'd know what kind of outrage ensues when people have to work on leveling skills to be able to do something.

Most people want things easier. That's why we get updates. That's why Jagex is making this an upgrade year. People want to have to work less for things to get the same result. There's really no point in denying it. And even if you do it doesn't matter because it's all right in front of you.

First, a bunch of other people also said they didn't like exploring and that it was a waste of time. (I'm not much of an explorer myself; I like to know where I'm going.) But it probably isn't necessary to keep digging up more quotes, I assume. :lol:

Second, I'm not questioning your opinion that this kind of person is annoying. It's just that you really can't claim that the type of behavior you hate is overrunning the type of behavior you respect. The title of the thread, for example, is misleading, because it implies that nobody explores anymore; your posts have had the same sentiment. Really all I'm arguing, essentially, is that you just need to properly qualify your claims. If you want to say, "Argh, I hate it when people do this!" that's easy. You want to say, "More than half of the population of Runescape is totally helpless," well, then you're gonna need to have some statistics. Maybe point to a poll, like this one, where only 10% of those who have responded as of this writing have said they either have not seen a musician or have no idea what a musician is...not exactly a majority. I'm just saying, take the position you really mean to defend. :-w

(Third, the upgrade year idea was based on heavy amounts of player feedback demanding that Jagex stop releasing endless new content while older content is ignored and left to fester in obscurity, not because the players were whining that training was too hard. But that's a little off-topic.)

First days in members was a joy, I finally got through that members only gate east of Varrock to Paterdomus and the gates west of Falador leading to Taverly. I remember tilting the camera way down back in F2P, wondering if I can see the other side and the things moving around there.

[hide=story time]The first P2P location I went to was Paterdomus, a friend made me do the Priest in Peril quest...but I wasn't even aware I was doing the quest since everything was so overwhelming and I really wanted to explore. It was only when I got that "congratulations you completed the quest" screen that I realized it was actually a quest, I thought it was just some kind of task for me to do to access Morytania. I remember going to the slayer tower and was like "woah those are big hands!" when I saw the crawling hands. I also remember getting lost in White Wolf Mountain and venturing in the forests north of West Ardougne and discovering that the gnome stronghold's there. In my head, I'm that adventurer in-game, exploring new areas and examining almost everything. I still chuckle when I remember porker and porcine or knowing that those swamp snakes, huge and vicious, were thriving in Mort Myre swamps until I slew them while temple trekking (examine the dead snakes). And I remember the joy of finding the enchanted valley by entering random codes in the fairy ring.[/hide]

I guess it just comes down to what's really important for that person. I try to immerse myself and try to get the feel of the game, it's much more fun that way. Tilting your camera down while walking, wondering "what's my in-game character seeing?" or "I wonder how this place looks like in real life" can give you vicarious excitement. But if a person's more interested in gaining levels fast, wanting the best items in the market and being stronger than the rest, exploring's probably not part of his game plan. After all, trekking from the elf lands all the way to Dragontooth island, exploring and enjoying the scenery (however crappy the graphics is) means forgoing the chance of gaining X amount of experience training at bandits.

vv05c.png

[brought to you by the Cult of the Sacred Crate]

17th to 99 Smithing OSRS

It really just sounds to me like you're doing everything in your power to make me feel arrogant for knowing my experience in the game exceeds the average player's experience. Well, it's not working. I think it's truthful and blunt and a lot of people here can't handle that. I get it.

I never brought up the word arrogant. If you really feel that way, then maybe it's because that's how you think you were acting. My point is that anybody can put themselves on a pedestal and say that they're more likely to be right than anyone else. It's probably the most counterproductive tactic ever. The second you start bragging about your credibility and saying how "a lot of the people on this thread aren't as experienced as me so they don't know what they're talking about" is the second I stop taking you seriously. You can't blame me though - this is the internet after all.

Off-Topic: Stop the flaming, no one wants such a good thread to be locked.

On-Topic:

FOR THE LOVE OF GOD JAGEX MAKE RANDOMIZED AREAS!!! (caps are fun :twisted: )

The possibility of endless exploration is just :thumbsup: .

[hide=Drops]Dragon: Spear x1, Med helm x3, legs x2, pickaxe x1, skirt x3, scimitar x1

Barrows: DH helm x1, Verac Brassy x2, Karil Skirt x1, Ahrim Hood x2, Guthan Spear

GWD: Arma Helm x1

Other: Handcannon x4, Leaf Bladed Sword x3[/hide]

To answer your question about what new members ask, is because they want to know what is the funnest thing to do. They want to jump heads into some of the best stuff that it has to offer for their taste.

Now with the majority of members on TIF being that of high level range, I find the idea of exploring for this demographic being little to none.

But the biggest thing I would have to say is the idea of what has already been said is this "goalscape" (never heard this term until this topic but it makes sense). As the saying goes, 'Time is money' and I guess that is the same principle applied to those playing this game. Oh well, it is how they want to play.

A reflection is just a distorted reality held by glass and your mind.

optimizedbrokenmirrorpn.jpg

But the biggest thing I would have to say is the idea of what has already been said is this "goalscape" (never heard this term until this topic but it makes sense). As the saying goes, 'Time is money' and I guess that is the same principle applied to those playing this game. Oh well, it is how they want to play.

I never liked that saying, really. It might be true, even if I don't like it, but I never much cared for money.