Your standing on religion

xAxelx

• Replies 378
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest GhostRanger
listen..

have a cup of tea.. sit down with the tv off with no distractions.. and ask yourself...

how the * can god be real..

COME ON *?

Is that a serious question?

As I have said before, the idea of God defies all physical and fathomable human limits. You might not believe...but I do.

You have no more proof that he doesn't exist than I have that he does exist. The difference is I'm intelligent enough to understand what I have is a belief, and you believe you have knowledge. Most of the world believes in a higher being...you are in the minority by not. Don't act like I'm ignorant. :roll:

listen..

have a cup of tea.. sit down with the tv off with no distractions.. and ask yourself...

COME ON *?

Listen... sit down.... Read the Bible before you start moving your flapper about it.

And ask yourself, how the "astric" am I here?

Come on now Ter!

Ghost: I am prejudice towards ignorance, so that would explain why I appear to be so.

listen..

COME ON *?

To me, believing in a "sponatious creation" where everything of that creation is of unknown origin takes just as much faith than to believe in a god of unknown origin. Since they both require faith, I simply choose to believe in God seeing how everything is so orderly. To me, how orderly the world is is more understandable with a creation of the world by a god rather than by a sponatious act of time. And when it comes down to a god, I feel the God of Christianity happens to be the true God of this creation.

listen..

COME ON *?

? :? why cant God not be real? does the theory that everything suddenly came out of nothingness for no apparent reason make more sense? giveme some evidence that God does not exist.

alot of stuff in the bible are figurative--many sects of christianity do not believe in a literally interpretation of the bible. 7 days does not necessarily mean 168 hours.

and i also just wanto clarify that most christians DO NOT believe that God controls every aspect of our lives. every since the 18th century, an increasing number of people believe that God created a set of laws to govern nature and then stepped back to allow those laws to run their course.

adolpha2mp.png

[Jarkan (retired)]-[2001-2003]

[Adolpha (retired)]-[2003-2004]

i see that you guys are protecting your religion.. if i could find a way to convince you otherwise then religion wouldnt exist... u can keep ur faith

but science has explained EVERYTHING.. while a single book has not and you all believe it.. you think that it says how everything was made but it doesnt.. it leaves loose ends that have no proof.. sorry to say it but in my OPPPINION god is a bunch of [cabbage].. its fake.. if i end up going to hell then fine i deserve it.. but i dont believe in it..

do u honestly think that you go to heaven or hell when you die? whos to determine how good or bad youve been in your life.. noone can make the comparison.. and the universe was not made by a man.. come on think about this logicly.. its like im arguing with a bunch of 5 year olds

vistame09copyhr8.png

Guest GhostRanger
i see that you guys are protecting your religion.. if i could find a way to convince you otherwise then religion wouldnt exist... u can keep ur faith

but science has explained EVERYTHING.. while a single book has not and you all believe it.. you think that it says how everything was made but it doesnt.. it leaves loose ends that have no proof.. sorry to say it but in my OPPPINION god is a bunch of cabbage.. its fake.. if i end up going to hell then fine i deserve it.. but i dont believe in it..

Thank you for expressing your opinion clear for me to understand. Let me point out a few things though that you may not know:

1) Science does not explain everything. Can science explain the meaning of life? To religious people, their holy book explains the meaning of their life. Science can't do that.

2) More realistically though...a thousand years ago "scientists" believed they had explained everything. New discoveries were made and they found out that their theories were wrong. Do you know how many versions of the Atom have existed in our history? Each time, people believed they had the right answer.

Also, you seem to have ignored my previous point. Believing science doesn't mean you can't believe in the Bible. I do both perfectly fine. So why can't science explain everything and I believe that God created everything science has explained?

but science has explained EVERYTHING.. while a single book has not and you all believe it.. you think that it says how everything was made but it doesnt.. it leaves loose ends that have no proof.. sorry to say it but in my OPPPINION god is a bunch of cabbage.. its fake.. if i end up going to hell then fine i deserve it.. but i dont believe in it..

but science have NOT explained everything. far from it in fact. i could go on and on about the things science has not explained...just look at physics for example. just decades ago, scientists called physics a "complete science" and discouraged people from pursuing physics as a career because there simply isnt anything left to discover. but now, new fields of physics have opened up and we cannot even begin to understand how many many things work.

and the bible is not a book to explain how things work, its a book for religious fulfillment and for helping you discover your way to God. sure, there are some sects of christianity that believe in a strict interpretation of the bible and take every word in it for its literal meaning. but the VAST majority of christians today believe in more or less a figurative interpretation.

do u honestly think that you go to heaven or hell when you die? whos to determine how good or bad youve been in your life.. noone can make the comparison.. and the universe was not made by a man.. come on think about this logicly.. its like im arguing with a bunch of 5 year olds

maybe. im not too sure because im still uncertain about my religious beliefs. again, religion is complex...if you cannot see that than you have no right to call others ignorant.

God is NOT a man.

Einstein believed in God. do you think he has the inteligence of a 5 yr old? please dont make any more comments like this. they do not contribute to the discussion at all and will only result in flaming and a lock.

adolpha2mp.png

i know it will end up in a lock

but you see.. everyone is entitled to ther oppinion.. and in my oppinion.. i dont understand how god can exist..

and btw.. if Einstein was alive nowdays he would be no smarter than you or me.. his thinking is outdated

vistame09copyhr8.png

but you see.. everyone is entitled to ther oppinion.. and in my oppinion.. i dont understand how god can exist..

and btw.. if Einstein was alive nowdays he would be no smarter than you or me.. his thinking is outdated

If you are going to tell people their wrong then we require you to give some sort of logical argument to support your view. Continously stating variations of "I don't believe it" or "I just don't understand how it can be true" is not very convincing.

This is the way the world ends. Look at this [bleep]ing shit we're in man. Not with a bang, but with a whimper. And with a whimper, I'm splitting, Jack.

of course youre entitled to your opinion. but like logic said, you should back up ur opinion with evidence to convince other ppl that your opinion is correct or insightful. if we all just sat here and nodded at other ppls opinions there wouldnt be any discussion :)

anyways, yes, people have built upon einsteins ideas, but its not that these ideas are the cutting edge theories that make him smart. what distinguishes him as one of the most intelligent people in recent history is that he was able to come up with these theories (which are still extremely difficult for people to understand today. i dont understand the proof behind e=mc^2 and i doubt anyone on this forum could understand it either) and pave the way for further developements.

relatively speaking, its very easy to understand something that someone else already came up with, but it is extremely difficult to take an innovative step into the unknown.

anyways im getting off topic...

adolpha2mp.png

One thing, Ter, why can't you spell 'you'? Are you in too great a hurry? We're a bunch of five year olds, but it doesn't help your point that you seem to have no conviction in your arguements by taking the (1 second-saving) shortcuts. Anyways, lets get to your post...

but science has explained EVERYTHING..

Even where the Universe originated? Why it happened? Golly, please enlighten me.

while a single book has not and you all believe it..

Actualy, the bible in many 'books', a compilation. 'Tis our faith mate, and it matters not if it hasn't explained 'EVERYTHING', thats besides the point. Of course the bible hasn't explained everything. I'm sure nothing can. Why is this relevant?

you think that it says how everything was made but it doesnt..

In all technicality, it does say how everything was made- your sentence was worded so clumsily, that your point could almost be ignored. If I can decipher correctly, your trying to say "You think that the Bible explains where everything came from and who made it, but it infact is incorect" (my apologies if the gist of the sentence was misinterpereted, correct me by all means). Anyways, personaly (although this may be a widely held beleif, I cannot speak for more than myself) I don't beleive that Genesis is a concrete piece of history, and its probly just one of the myriad of 'creation myths', but I do infact beleive that God had a hand (meaning He was the one who) in the creation of the Universe and the laws that govern it. I probably will never understand Him, and don't really find it neccesary to question where he came from or what he is (besides, of course, God) because I'll never come across a satisfying answer.

it leaves loose ends that have no proof.. sorry to say it but in my OPPPINION god is a bunch of cabbage..

(Opinion has one 'p', not 3, freind) The Bible is a compilation of the limited understanding of the entity that created 'us'. It should not be taken as literal fact (most of it, personaly, however I beleive in most of the new Testament to be truthful) in most part. It can only be extrapolated that God somehow spawned the entirity of Creation, but thats far from an attempt to explain why things work.

Your opinion is your opinion, no point in arguing that. In my 'OPPPINION' god is a bunch of goodness. Or at least neutrality... I think. A topic for another time perhaps! :wink:

its fake.. if i end up going to hell then fine i deserve it.. but i dont believe in it..

Whys it fake? Your seemingly infinite knowledge on the subject is something I'm certain we'd all benefit from, no? Please, tell us all exactly why its fake. If you can't, the I guess thats your 'OPPINION' and of no concern to me since I can't change it.

It's a troubling period I'm in, I'm not so sure as of now, I'm sure years of meditation will let me in on whether or not there is an afterlife. According to what I'm taught and what I want to beleive thus far, yes I do honestly beleive that.

Whos to determine? God, obviously. According to my faith, God is more than good enough to judge everyone.

Your right on one thing- Creation was the work of no Man . It was the work of God. I'm thinking quite logicaly. Logic doesn't exclude faith if that is part of the intellect.

Thanks for calling me a five year old mate, I'm sure thats not supposed to be an insult, so right back at ya buddy! :D

Einstein believed in God. do you think he has the inteligence of a 5 yr old? please dont make any more comments like this. they do not contribute to the discussion at all and will only result in flaming and a lock.

Einstein was a pantheist; he believed that the universe was God. So his babbling about understanding God was really just him wanting to understand the laws of the universe. Nice try taking famous people's quotes out of context.

Einstein was a pantheist; he believed that the universe was God. So his babbling about understanding God was really just him wanting to understand the laws of the universe. Nice try taking famous people's quotes out of context.

no, einstein was jewish...he lived in nazi germany and was persecuted for his beliefs until he fled to the US

adolpha2mp.png

Guest GhostRanger

no, einstein was jewish...he lived in nazi germany and was persecuted for his beliefs until he fled to the US

You have to remember that the Nazi's didn't care if you practiced Judaism - they only cared about your Jewish heritage. Their idea was that the German race was superior to the Jewish race. Einstein was persecuted because he was of Jewish blood - he did not practice Judaism.

Death by pod was right. Einstein said this in a letter he wrote:

It was, of course, a lie what you read about my religious convictions, a lie which is being systematically repeated. I do not believe in a personal God and I have never denied this but have expressed it clearly. If something is in me which can be called religious then it is the unbounded admiration for the structure of the world so far as our science can reveal it.

about how some of u ppl were xplaining science in a book xplains everything well, the holy texts r old and back wen they were written noone would've understood the scientific side of it.if it was written in the holy texts the holy texts noone would understand it. holy texts can b seen as to simplify the meaning of existence and dharma. the holy texts r looked to as sacred this is y the stories havent involved more science and even today most ppl wouldnt understand the science behind it.

einstein was also quoted saying:

"My religion consists of a humble admiration of the illimitable superior spirit who reveals himself in the slight details we are able to perceive with our frail and feeble mind."

einsteins exact religious beliefs can be up for argument. but that exactly proves my point that religion is complex. there is no one definition of God.

even if you dont believe that einstein was religious, simply replace his name with isaac newton--arguably one of the greatest geniuses the world has ever seen.

the point is not that einstein is religious, but that religion does not lead to ignorance. i am really tired of seeing people consider themself intelectually superior simply because they are atheist.

adolpha2mp.png

Guest GhostRanger

"My religion consists of a humble admiration of the illimitable superior spirit who reveals himself in the slight details we are able to perceive with our frail and feeble mind."

No where in that statement does it say he believes in a god, and the statement I quoted specifically shows he did not believe in a god.

He specifically said he did not believe there was a God who concerned himself with human life. He did believe a spirit created created the universe...but not a god like Jews and Christians believe in.

No where in that statement does it say he believes in a god, and the statement I quoted specifically shows he did not believe in a god.

He specifically said he did not believe there was a God who concerned himself with human life. He did believe a spirit created created the universe...but not a god like Jews and Christians believe in.

so he believes in a superior being...in other words, God.

adolpha2mp.png

Guest GhostRanger

so he believes in a superior being...in other words, a god.

No. He believed in a spirit that created the universe (and could be the universe itself). He does not believe in a god like Jews and Christians do - which was your original point.

He said he does not believe in a god. Did you read that quote the first time?

Guest GhostRanger
no, i mentioned einstein in order to show that religion i complex, and being religious does not lead to ignorance.

The original point that I responded to was about Einstein believing in God because he was Jewish.

That is incorrect and is the only point I'm attempting to make.

I agree that religion is complex - I'm a devout Christian myself. Read my other posts on this thread if you care to know more.

well...i guess an argument over einsteins religious beliefs can take up a whole new thread, but i hope we can find common ground on what i said earlier :)

einsteins exact religious beliefs can be up for argument. but that exactly proves my point that religion is complex. there is no one definition of God.

even if you dont believe that einstein was religious, simply replace his name with isaac newton--arguably one of the greatest geniuses the world has ever seen.

the point is not that einstein is religious, but that religion does not lead to ignorance. i am really tired of seeing people consider themself intelectually superior simply because they are atheist.

adolpha2mp.png

Guest GhostRanger
i am really tired of seeing people consider themself intelectually superior simply because they are atheist.

And I agree with that point whole-heartedly. :P

well...i guess an argument over einsteins religious beliefs can take up a whole new thread, but i hope we can find common ground on what i said earlier :)

I think the confusion stems from the fact you edited your post after they refuted it.

This is the way the world ends. Look at this [bleep]ing shit we're in man. Not with a bang, but with a whimper. And with a whimper, I'm splitting, Jack.