Why can't adults drink?

Zierro

21 is too old, and the government hardly punishes people who drink and drive.. I don't see the logic in cracking down on underage drinking (which is harmless) and cutting slack for those who drink and drive, which is really the only important menace caused by drinking.

There is no point in causing an uproar because I said underage drinking is harmless. Unless you've done it yourself, you probably wouldn't understand my point of view in the first place and secondly, most of you actually believe everything adults say.

So because you're not an adult we should believe you when you say underage drinking is harmless? Teens have proved time and again that a lot of them haven't been able to use it responsibly. A kid who went to my high school died at a party because he got into an argument with another student and it escalated to it getting physical. The kid fell and hit his head and of course everyone was too drunk to call the police so he was left there to die. Yeah, underage drinking is harmless.

LOL.jpg

• Replies 385
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It might be more of a necessity, but which is more dangerous. If they have the drinking age at 21 because they are worried about the consequences of it being lower, and how it will affect say 18 year olds. Then why arn't they worried about 16 year olds driving, which IMO can cause far more problems than drinking.

k9999-crazyarm.gif

The key word there being appropriately. If everyone drank responsibly there wouldn't be an issue, but most people don't. I'm just repeating this over and over again but people still seem to think that everyone thinks rationally. Giving an idiot a beer is just slightly less deadly than giving Jeffery Dahmer a knife.

So then why are knives legal? In the hands of someone irresponsible, they are way more deadly than alcohol.

The key word there being appropriately. If everyone drank responsibly there wouldn't be an issue, but most people don't. I'm just repeating this over and over again but people still seem to think that everyone thinks rationally. Giving an idiot a beer is just slightly less deadly than giving Jeffery Dahmer a knife.

So then why are knives legal? In the hands of someone irresponsible, they are way more deadly than alcohol.

A knife is a utensil used for cutting food. Unless you mean like combat knives or then yeah...

lighviolet1lk4.jpg

Come to think of it so are words, lets ban words to prevent propaganda that corrupts the masses.

awteno.jpg

Orthodoxy is unconciousness

the only ones who should kill are those who are prepared to be killed.

I believe that 21 is the age that alcohol is supposed to not have negative growth impact on the brain, i.e. it has finished developing by 21. Don't quote me on that though.
Small amounts of alcohol (ie, that in beer and wine, etc) has little to no long term detriments when consumed appropriately. This applies to a wide range of ages, including those below 21. I still feel that the age requirement should remain stationary.

Which is why I said that the requirement shouldn't be lifted.
hopesolopatriot.jpg

A knife is a utensil used for cutting food. Unless you mean like combat knives or then yeah...

Yes, knives have a practical use, but so does drinking. There are tons of people who do drink responsibly. Just because there are some that don't, I don't see that as an argument to make it unavailable to everybody. It's unfair to those that drink responsibly and use their knives for eating.

I don't think it makes much difference. Certainly doesn't in the UK - most 14 year olds drink regularly anyway. I've just turned 18, and find myself drinking no-more than usual.

I guess I can see it being a problem for bars etc, but obtaining alcohol isn't exactly hard. ::'

Yes, knives have a practical use, but so does drinking. There are tons of people who do drink responsibly. Just because there are some that don't, I don't see that as an argument to make it unavailable to everybody. It's unfair to those that drink responsibly and use their knives for eating.

You simply said that it has a practical purpose because it can be used responsibly. Alcohol is a poison and has little practical use. Not all poisons have a practical use, despite being used responsibly.
hopesolopatriot.jpg

you can easily kill someone with a steak or bread knife.

awteno.jpg

Orthodoxy is unconciousness

the only ones who should kill are those who are prepared to be killed.

HOW THE [bleep] DOES ALCOHOL HAVE A [bleep]ING USE? WELL, A [bleep]ING PRACTICAL ONE! Sword, be a man and post this yourself next time.

Steam | PM me for BBM PIN

Nine naked men is a technological achievement. Quote of 2013.

PCGamingWiki - Let's fix PC gaming!

You simply said that it has a practical purpose because it can be used responsibly. Alcohol is a poison and has little practical use. Not all poisons have a practical use, despite being used responsibly.

Practical is subjective. We're going to go in circles if you do that. What I mean by practical is that alcohol can cause people to have good and memorable times - a positive effect, much like knives cutting your food has a positive effect. It only turns impractical once they are abused.

People wouldn't buy alcohol if they didn't think it had a practical use.

To kill someone with a knife you have to TRY to kill them. Most people would not do that.

Then there's alcohol, which kills accidentally. You're not in control of yourself when it happens.

LOTRjokesigedition-1.png

Get back here so I can rub your butt.

To kill someone with a knife you have to TRY to kill them. Most people would not do that.

Then there's alcohol, which kills accidentally. You're not in control of yourself when it happens.

People have died by knives accidentally. There have been tons of accidental deaths from cars, machinery, stairs, sports, scissors, electricity, etc. Why does the line suddenly appear once we talk about alcohol?

You don't need alcohol to have a good time, you can do it without the damn stuff.

Yes, but with alcohol people tend to have more fun. You can't necessarily speak for everybody. They wouldn't be buying it if it had no purpose like what you are suggesting.

People have died by knives accidentally. There have been tons of accidental deaths from cars, machinery, stairs, sports, scissors, electricity, etc. Why does the line suddenly appear once we talk about alcohol?

Because a knife still has a use while alcohol still does not.

If you're going to use this as your arguement we might as well get rid of every rock, tree, or anything else that has the potential to kill....

lighviolet1lk4.jpg

Because a knife still has a use while alcohol still does not.

Really? Then why do people pay money for something that serves no purpose?

Because knives don't impair your vision and thought process, slur your speech and lessen motor functions; a knife isn't a depressant. Knives rely on user control rather than weakening those controls. They have a use in society other than economical and recreational. Children aren't allowed to buy knives under the age of eighteen anyway, in the UK.

Really? Then why do people pay money for something that serves no purpose?
They enjoy the side effects of alcohol or simply enjoy its taste. In this case, you must rely on the civility of people to use an item responsibly; alcohol diminishes this civility.
hopesolopatriot.jpg

Because we can afford such trivial things.

Do we really need a computer? A T.V? A mobile phone? An Ipod?

Those are luxury items that we do not need, though we obtain. Alcohol falls under this.

A knife is a tool, used in the past for survival, part of which was preparing food.

swordfinalqr7.jpg

Denizen of Darkness| PSN= sworddude198

Knives and machinery are needed. Alcohol is not.
In this society, alcohol is a needed asset.

How so?

I might be going on a tangent here but you'll notice alcohal is only a major problem here in America, and thats because of the restrictions we put on it. Look at countries in Europe that don't have those kind of restrictions and the amount of people with alcohal problems is significantly lower.

You can't ever find a place that's nice and peaceful, because there isn't any. You may think there is, but once you get there, when you're not looking, somebody'll sneak up and write "(bleep) you" right under your nose. Try it sometime. I think, even, if I ever die, and they stick me in a cemetery, and I have a tombstone and all, it'll say "Holden Caulfield" on it, and then what year I was born and what year I died, and then right under that it'll say "(bleep) you."

Knives and machinery are needed. Alcohol is not.
In this society, alcohol is a needed asset.

How so?

I might be going on a tangent here but you'll notice alcohal is only a major problem here in America, and thats because of the restrictions we put on it. Look at countries in Europe that don't have those kind of restrictions and the amount of people with alcohal problems is significantly lower.

Similar to cigarettes, alcohol is sown into our society.
hopesolopatriot.jpg

True Laura, though it I don't believe it needs to be. Many other countries set a fine example of alcohal safely being a part of society.

You can't ever find a place that's nice and peaceful, because there isn't any. You may think there is, but once you get there, when you're not looking, somebody'll sneak up and write "(bleep) you" right under your nose. Try it sometime. I think, even, if I ever die, and they stick me in a cemetery, and I have a tombstone and all, it'll say "Holden Caulfield" on it, and then what year I was born and what year I died, and then right under that it'll say "(bleep) you."