Why can't adults drink?

Zierro

Smoking or joining the military doesn't make you do stupid things that can harm you or others... :|

Joining the military does.

Alcohol is fantastic and everyone should be allowed it.

In the military you're harming others, or vise versa, purposely and while in full control of your actions.

Isn't that even worse :?

Best Rubik's cube time solve: 27.81 seconds.

Completed Facebook Tetris Marathon (670k score)

2000+ total with 5 99's, fletching, cooking, attack, thieving and firemaking

• Replies 385
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've always wondered why people think that suddenly legalizing alcohol or marijuana will suddenly make things better. If teens are abusing it when it's illegal what makes you think that even more won't start abusing it?

lighviolet1lk4.jpg

Alcohol does no ruin lives. A lack of [bleep] self control does.

So when someone gets hit by a drunk driver, its because they had no self control?

Because the Driver did not have self control, yes.

That's a load of bull. If it weren't for the alcohol, no one would've died. It's not a lack self control that kills people, its the impairment from the alcohol.

mbqyk3.gif

I've always wondered why people think that suddenly legalizing alcohol or marijuana will suddenly make things better. If teens are abusing it when it's illegal what makes you think that even more won't start abusing it?

Maybe their hoping it stops teenage rebellion since the substance isn't banned.

Gauper. Would you blame the knife for murder? Or would you blame the person?

You'd blame the person. The same goes for alcohol.

swordfinalqr7.jpg

Denizen of Darkness| PSN= sworddude198

Maybe their hoping it stops teenage rebellion since the substance isn't banned.

Gauper. Would you blame the knife for murder? Or would you blame the person?

You'd blame the person. The same goes for alcohol.

Take the knife out of the equation and the person would've killed the other with a rock or their bare hands. Take alcohol out of the equation and nobody is hurt.

lighviolet1lk4.jpg

Make alcohol illegal, then there will just end up being an illegal trade in it.

Anyway, why should alcohol be banned because a few people have no self control?

You mean a lot.

I dont really think it should be banned but A LOT of people have no self control.

10postchm2105.png

WONGTONG IS THE BEST AND IS MORE SUPERIOR THAN ME

#1 Wongtong stalker.

Im looking for some No Limit soldiers!

They can't drink till 21, yet they can drive at 16. Crazy.

Driving is a bigger neccesity than drinking.

Driving is also more dangerous, I don't have a source on this at the moment but I'm willing to go out on a limb and presume that more people are killed by cars than by alchohol in America every year. Also driving is not a necessity either considering most places have some form of public transport to get around and that most (or all) 16 year olds are still at school and therefore don't need to drive to get there (since they've been travelling there for several years without driving their own cars).

wild_bunch.gif

He who learns must suffer, and, even in our sleep, pain that cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart,

and in our own despair, against our will, comes wisdom to us by the awful grace of God.

- Aeschylus (525 BC - 456 BC)

I'd rather the drinking age lower even if it's just so parents could (legally) teach their children at a younger age about alcohol. If you look at other countries outside of the U.S with lower drinking ages they almost always also have a lower rate of death pertaining to alcohol, and I think it's because they learned from a young age on how dangerous it can be if not used correctly.

Making alcohol an almost taboo subject at younger ages only aims to hurt. It's the same thing as talking about abstinence instead of condoms. Sure, in the long run it would be better for them not to drink/have sex at a young age, but that's not going to happen -- so it's better for them to be prepared.

Make alcohol illegal, then there will just end up being an illegal trade in it.

Anyway, why should alcohol be banned because a few people have no self control?

You mean a lot.

I dont really think it should be banned but A LOT of people have no self control.

Considering the amount of people who drink regularly, I'd say that it is a relatively small amount who do not have the self control.

swordfinalqr7.jpg

Denizen of Darkness| PSN= sworddude198

Question: Is the US the only country to have a 21 age limit on drinking?

Seeing how people who ARE above 21 act and behave while intoxicated is proof enough that the drinking age is too low.

isn't that what most people are like when their drunk? I mean its just them drinking too much that causes the problems (unless you have an extremly low tolarence to alcohol). Thankfully I've never had that issue because I cant physically get drunk (I get turned off from drinking after I hit tipsy)

Popoto.~<3

No there are a few others that have the legal drinking age of 21 and some others prevent buying certain drinks (such as spirits) until 21.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Legal_drinking_age

wild_bunch.gif

He who learns must suffer, and, even in our sleep, pain that cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart,

and in our own despair, against our will, comes wisdom to us by the awful grace of God.

No there are a few others that have the legal drinking age of 21 and some others prevent buying certain drinks (such as spirits) until 21.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Legal_drinking_age

I read the UK might be increasing the drinking age to 21. I hope they do so I have an excuse as to why I won't go out and drink with my parents on my 18th birthday.

umilambdaberncgsig.jpg

I edit for the [Tip.It Times]. I rarely write in [My Blog]. I am an [Ex-Moderator].

That's strange. The UK wants to increase the drinking age, while the US is talking about lowering it.

Anyway, as much as it sucks, the few ruin it for the many. It's the same reason we can't have gum in schools.

LOTRjokesigedition-1.png

Get back here so I can rub your butt.

There should be a rule of 18. You should get your lisence, join the military, drink alcohol, and smoke cigarettes all at 18. None of this 16-21 crap.

Forum Updates & Suggestions <------ Let your voice be heard!
Forum Games <------- Coolest place on Tip.It
Tip.It Forum Rules <------- Read them!

There should be a rule of 18. You should get your lisence, join the military, drink alcohol, and smoke cigarettes all at 18. None of this 16-21 crap.

What's wrong with driving at 16? Some people don't want their parents to drive them to and from school activities.

Also what about jobs? If store couldn't hire 16 and 17 year olds then some places will be under staffed.

lighviolet1lk4.jpg

What's wrong with driving at 16? Some people don't want their parents to drive them to and from school activities.

Also what about jobs? If store couldn't hire 16 and 17 year olds then some places will be under staffed.

Research has shown that the decision making part of the brain[1] has not fully developed by the age of 16. Hence why there are more teenager accidents than in any other age group. At 18, your brain has developed more and it is safer to be in a car. Though 18 is the peak when the brain has developed enough, you are too independent to not have a car by 18 (atleast most people are).

Forum Updates & Suggestions <------ Let your voice be heard!
Forum Games <------- Coolest place on Tip.It
Tip.It Forum Rules <------- Read them!

[hide=]

I'd rather the drinking age lower even if it's just so parents could (legally) teach their children at a younger age about alcohol. If you look at other countries outside of the U.S with lower drinking ages they almost always also have a lower rate of death pertaining to alcohol, and I think it's because they learned from a young age on how dangerous it can be if not used correctly.

Making alcohol an almost taboo subject at younger ages only aims to hurt. It's the same thing as talking about abstinence instead of condoms. Sure, in the long run it would be better for them not to drink/have sex at a young age, but that's not going to happen -- so it's better for them to be prepared.

[/hide]

I definitely agree with this.

That's strange. The UK wants to increase the drinking age, while the US is talking about lowering it.

Anyway, as much as it sucks, the few ruin it for the many. It's the same reason we can't have gum in schools.

Is that just your school, or the entire state? :shock:

91215531.png

Poetry

Indexed Picture 1

Indexed Picture 2

Killed my maxed Zerker pure April 2010

Rebooting Runescape

91215531.png

Do you mean about alcohol or the gum example?

Alcohol: Nation wide.

Gum: I'm pretty sure no schools lower than highschool let you have gum in this state, possibly the country. We get them next year though when HS starts, so who knows.

LOTRjokesigedition-1.png

Get back here so I can rub your butt.

Are people so ignorant? 95% aren't responsible? It ruins your life? Christ, I don't see ANY of my family or friends and their families and their friends hurting themselves or others while drinking. I'm sure that is true for most of the world, so saying 95% really makes you look stupid.

Perhaps not 95%, but MY family has been screwed up by my dad drinking. He's not like hit any of us, but he's done very very stupid things and his drinking sometimes really hurts our family.

So don't say that it doesn't do anything at all.

I'm not saying nobody is going to suffer from it. In fact, probably hundred of thousands of families get messed up due to alcohol. But compared to the 7billion+ people we got on this earth, its quite small percentage wise.

Which is I support harsher punishments on drunkies. Its everybody's choice to cause damage, because you drank first.

Research has shown that the decision making part of the brain[1] has not fully developed by the age of 16. Hence why there are more teenager accidents than in any other age group. At 18, your brain has developed more and it is safer to be in a car. Though 18 is the peak when the brain has developed enough, you are too independent to not have a car by 18 (atleast most people are).

That's [cabbage]. At 13,14,15, and 16 I well knew my decisions had consequences. Creating excuses for people's mistakes and calling it "scientific research", my [wagon].

It's the person's fault not brain chemistry or whatever. If we allow these excuses, pretty soon saying chemical properties inside somebody's brain forced them to murder is going to be a real argument in court.

"The cry of the poor is not always just, but if you never hear it you'll never know what justice is."

siggy3s.jpg

That's [cabbage]. At 13,14,15, and 16 I well knew my decisions had consequences. Creating excuses for people's mistakes and calling it "scientific research", my [wagon].

It's the person's fault not brain chemistry or whatever. If we allow these excuses, pretty soon saying chemical properties inside somebody's brain forced them to murder is going to be a real argument in court.

Nick you realize he was just using Riku's ridiculous example of why alcohol should be banned against drivers licenses, right?

That's the trick; when research disagrees with your position, just say my [wagon] and it'll be okay. Seriously though, when you're younger you may know that actions have consequences when you think about it, but you're generally more impulsive at a younger age which can lead to accidents and your attention span is generally shorter which again can lead to accidents.

wild_bunch.gif

A lot of the time teens who aren't legal to buy alcohol will drink it to excess when they do get their hands on it, since they don't know when they'll be able to get it again.

It's not really that they're completely irresponsible, or that they don't know what alcohols effect on them will be like (though it might be that case for some), it's more the pain it takes to get it when you're not legal to buy that makes teens drink to excess.

Tbh, I have a feeling that if there was no drinking age enforced by law (or at least a lower one like 16), that there would actually be less car accidents and such, since teens would be more familiar with its effects and wouldn't have such a strong desire to get completely tanked, since they could do that any time they wanted to, rather than when all the stars came aligned (money, someone to buy, somewhere to drink they wouldn't get caught, etc, etc).

A drinking age of 21 is ridiculous.

Nick you realize he was just using Riku's ridiculous example of why alcohol should be banned against drivers licenses, right?

I... Don't see why my example was ridiculous. I just don't see why the driving age should be bumped up to 18. Most accidents that are caused by teenagers are because of inexperience so bumping up the age will only make 18 year olds as inexperienced as 16 year olds.

lighviolet1lk4.jpg