Why can't adults drink?

Zierro

• Replies 385
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's [cabbage]. At 13,14,15, and 16 I well knew my decisions had consequences. Creating excuses for people's mistakes and calling it "scientific research", my [wagon].

It's the person's fault not brain chemistry or whatever. If we allow these excuses, pretty soon saying chemical properties inside somebody's brain forced them to murder is going to be a real argument in court.

Nick you realize he was just using Riku's ridiculous example of why alcohol should be banned against drivers licenses, right?

I... Don't see why my example was ridiculous. I just don't see why the driving age should be bumped up to 18. Most accidents that are caused by teenagers are because of inexperience so bumping up the age will only make 18 year olds as inexperienced as 16 year olds.

Wouldn't you agree though that accidents through alcohol are because of inexperience as well though? You can hardly think that someone would willingly drink so much to give themselves alcohol poisoning and/or drive a car while drunk if they actually knew they could kill themselves.

That's [cabbage]. At 13,14,15, and 16 I well knew my decisions had consequences. Creating excuses for people's mistakes and calling it "scientific research", my [wagon].

It's the person's fault not brain chemistry or whatever. If we allow these excuses, pretty soon saying chemical properties inside somebody's brain forced them to murder is going to be a real argument in court.

Nick you realize he was just using Riku's ridiculous example of why alcohol should be banned against drivers licenses, right?

I... Don't see why my example was ridiculous. I just don't see why the driving age should be bumped up to 18. Most accidents that are caused by teenagers are because of inexperience so bumping up the age will only make 18 year olds as inexperienced as 16 year olds.

Wouldn't you agree though that accidents through alcohol are because of inexperience as well though? You can hardly think that someone would willingly drink so much to give themselves alcohol poisoning and/or drive a car while drunk if they actually knew they could kill themselves.

They give way to much information in school* to not know about the dangers of alcohol and any 16 or 18 year old that didn't know they could kill themselves through alcohol poisoning is an idiot.

*I know, I know you're all going to say D.A.R.E. uses nothing but a bunch of scare tactics blah blah blah but it still tells you some facts.

lighviolet1lk4.jpg

I know people that simply don't care if it's 18 or 21. If you want to have an alcoholic beverage you can easily get said beverage. The age limit is only limiting people to buy it themselves, rather than going to a friend or even the friend's parents in some cases. These parents usually let their son(s)/daughter(s) friends stay over the night so they don't drive while under the influence.

Young adults in my area could care even less, because Canada (where it is 19+ (Ontario) age limit) is simply across a river. It's like a tradition, that once you're 19, you go with your friends in a party bus and go over there and drink it up.

Having the age limit at 21, only makes teenagers more curious of why the law put it at that age. Some parents let their son(s)/daughter(s) try it when they are curious. Which is pretty good, because they know right there when their somewhat young if they will prefer it or not.

Seeing how people who ARE above 21 act and behave while intoxicated is proof enough that the drinking age is too low.

You're basing this on people you have seen, not everyone who gets intoxicated is the same.

Are you basing this perhaps on a wedding that you've went to? Acting foolish while intoxicated warrants that the age limit be raised?

To kill someone with a knife you have to TRY to kill them. Most people would not do that.

Then there's alcohol, which kills accidentally. You're not in control of yourself when it happens.

People have died by knives accidentally. There have been tons of accidental deaths from cars, machinery, stairs, sports, scissors, electricity, etc. Why does the line suddenly appear once we talk about alcohol?

It's because people need those things in modern society, alcohol isn't something you have to have.

28jkzuv.jpg2a9b8sy.jpgwqx853.jpg

gridblack.png

No. #-o But it isn't the first time I've heard it, so it wasn't all in vain. :wall:

*I know, I know you're all going to say D.A.R.E. uses nothing but a bunch of scare tactics blah blah blah but it still tells you some facts.

Haha, I remember when they first came out with DARE at our school. Didn't know what the hell a drug was. :lol:

Seeing how people who ARE above 21 act and behave while intoxicated is proof enough that the drinking age is too low.

You're basing this on people you have seen, not everyone who gets intoxicated is the same.

Are you basing this perhaps on a wedding that you've went to? Acting foolish while intoxicated warrants that the age limit be raised?

It's a joke. A damn good one too since its true. The age limit is 21 to stop people acting like idiots. But they still do. :lol:

"The cry of the poor is not always just, but if you never hear it you'll never know what justice is."

siggy3s.jpg

Riku you can tell people all they want but the best way to understand is to experience first hand. According to what you're saying, however, just because you might take drivers ed when you're 16 should mean that raising the legal age to 18 wouldn't be a problem. Because, I mean, if you're getting all this experience driving from drivers ed it shouldn't matter right?

People need to experience things first hand. Trust me, a lot of people think that since they are smart or strong that they can be fine with alcohol, and they don't fully understand what it does. The only way to experience that is to witness it first hand. To be truthful D.A.R.E is probably one of the worst programs ever, efectivly resorting to scare tactics and half hearted "truths". The problem is is that if a child finds out D.A.R.E has lied (or stretched the truth) on some things then they will have thought that they've stretched the truth about alcohol as well.

I think if parents allowed their teenage child to get drunk with them, once, would show them just how strong alcohol can be. Once they learn to know their limits I think that would help out a lot.

And sure, it isn't foolproof because there are too many factors in this. People get arrested for drink driving when they're at any age really, and you can't stop that. However you can try and spread awareness instead of trying to cover it up or just say "don't do it". D.A.R.E and other programs don't talk about safety as much as they talk about abstinence of any drugs and/or alcohol.

yeah well, at the risk os sounding a bit...racist/mean/whatever, alot of things about america are idiotic. no drinking till what, 21? hell, im 16 and i already drink beer and bourbon when i get a chance, but its not like ive done anything stupid under the influence...

I'm gonna be walking down an alley in varrock, and walka is going to walk up to me in a trench coat and say "psst.. hey man, wanna buy some sara brew"

walka92- retired with 99 in attack, strength, defence, health, magic, ranged, prayer and herblore and 137 combat. some day i may return to claim 138 combat, but alas, that time has not yet come

I'd rather have a few thousand extra people alive, than give you the ability to drink a particular set of liquids.

Let's face it, in the hands of a responsible person, alcohol is fine. Too bad 95% of the world's population is not responsible.

A lot of things can kill people, though. Car accidents are a prime example. Should we give up cars to save thousands of lives each year? Most people would say no, because they are such a pivotal part of our society and it wouldn't be the same without them. Although I wouldn't put alcohol quite on the same level, I wouldn't want to ban it just because people can die from it. It's just a matter of where you draw the line. I think it's worth remembering that there will always be a small population of idiots who will always manage to tarnish the name of whatever they take part in by being killed from it. Most people can handle drinking and driving a car (not at the same time!) without dying.

When it comes down to it, I certainly don't want society to become sterilised in the name of saving every life we possibly can. Life isn't meant to be 100% safe, and it should be at least somewhat interesting. As for the legal drinking age in America, I think they should make it 18. As other people have no doubt said, it makes little sense to allow people to smoke, join the military and vote at 18 and yet say they are not responsible enough to have a beer.

While I do know people who have drunk responsibly (including myself), I have seen MANY people who have not. Not just weddings (I've not really seen much of that, actually) but through college. These are the educated people among the population who completely destroy themselves via drinking until brain damage sets in and wrecking their social and emotional relationships. Then they throw up, sober up, and get ready for another night of debauchery.

Age does NOT equal responsibility, per say. However, the older you get, the wiser you get. Unfortunately for many in the early 20's, responsibility often has not set in yet.

Untitled.png

My heart is broken by the terrible loss I have sustained in my old friends and companions and my poor soldiers. Believe me, nothing except a battle lost can be half so melancholy as a battle won. -Sir Arthur Wellesley

To be truthful D.A.R.E is probably one of the worst programs ever, efectivly resorting to scare tactics and half hearted "truths". The problem is is that if a child finds out D.A.R.E has lied (or stretched the truth) on some things then they will have thought that they've stretched the truth about alcohol as well.

I helped teach DARE when I was a senior in highschool. The only drug that they could have possibly used such methods was on marijuana, which little research has been done in the U.S. Their alcoholic education was very informative and showed children the various consequences to their/your actions. I don't believe you're being truthful when you're stating an opinion.
hopesolopatriot.jpg

Lol funny. I just got home from drinking.

It's overrated anyway. I think people just crave it so badly in the US because people think it's cool because it's illegal and always protrayed in the media as it is but to be honest it's just a cliche and girls become mad [bleep]ty when they drink it's ridiculous and 19 is the legal age here and I don't think it makes THAT much of a difference to 29 in the US.

Anyway, as much as it sucks, the few ruin it for the many. It's the same reason we can't have gum in schools.

Which is also a very stupid rule. You say it sucks but yet you seem to be fine with it. How...?

Haha, I remember when they first came out with DARE at our school. Didn't know what the hell a drug was. :lol:

People need to experience things first hand. Trust me, a lot of people think that since they are smart or strong that they can be fine with alcohol, and they don't fully understand what it does. The only way to experience that is to witness it first hand. To be truthful D.A.R.E is probably one of the worst programs ever, efectivly resorting to scare tactics and half hearted "truths". The problem is is that if a child finds out D.A.R.E has lied (or stretched the truth) on some things then they will have thought that they've stretched the truth about alcohol as well.

Yeah, DARE didn't do [cabbage] for me. Maybe if they were to prove themselves as a little more credible... I mean, a cop was the one who taught our class. At the time, I was convinced that drugs = the devil (it was even my favorite class!), but that was also the same age that I was into Pokemon. :lol: Nobody's gonna believe the same things forever.

It's because people need those things in modern society, alcohol isn't something you have to have.

Alright, define a "need". I can easily argue that alcohol is just as "needed" as sports.

Question: Is the US the only country to have a 21 age limit on drinking?

No there are a few others that have the legal drinking age of 21 and some others prevent buying certain drinks (such as spirits) until 21.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Legal_drinking_age

I read the UK might be increasing the drinking age to 21. I hope they do so I have an excuse as to why I won't go out and drink with my parents on my 18th birthday.

The UK government already dismissed the idea. Also even if they did it, thanks to cheap flights etc 18-20 year olds would be able to just go to places in mainland Europe for nights out and the trouble causers would cause trouble there.

Portugal has legalised the use of all hard drugs, and the problems and users have gone down. It goes to show that by making something legal or accessable to more people by lowering the age, is not going to suddenly see 95% of the country high off their face.

k9999-crazyarm.gif

No there are a few others that have the legal drinking age of 21 and some others prevent buying certain drinks (such as spirits) until 21.

I read the UK might be increasing the drinking age to 21. I hope they do so I have an excuse as to why I won't go out and drink with my parents on my 18th birthday.

The UK government already dismissed the idea. Also even if they did it, thanks to cheap flights etc 18-20 year olds would be able to just go to places in mainland Europe for nights out and the trouble causers would cause trouble there.

Yeah I didn't think it was the wisest move anyway =/

umilambdaberncgsig.jpg

I edit for the [Tip.It Times]. I rarely write in [My Blog]. I am an [Ex-Moderator].

Looking at the UK law on drinking, I remember how odd the UK government is for some things.

"It is illegal for anyone under 18 to drink alcohol on licensed premises (e.g. a pub or restaurant) although anyone over 16 may consume alcohol with a meal if they are accompanied by an adult when they are under 18, children aged 5 and above may legally drink alcohol elsewhere."

Some countries in Europe have a pretty working system, in which you can buy light alcoholic drinks (such as beer) at age 18 (even 16), and after you hit 21 you can buy strong spirits, liquors, etc.

A person is only technically an adult at 18. I think it's appropriate that strong alcoholic beverages can't be bought instantly when you hit that magical number.. 3 years should be more than enough to learn responsible drinking.

People wonder why 18 year old's can join the army and smoke cigarettes (which can cause direct deaths just as alcohol does)... It's just politics. The army of any country can't ultimately survive without a continuous supply of young recruits. Contrary to what you might believe, a 18 year old can be often more naïve than a 21-year old, who could be harder to persuade into joining (compared to a person who just hit adulthood and wants to 'prove' himself)

Cigarette companies also direly need the business they get from young people who are a major demographic in their business scheme. Lifting the smoking age to 21 would cost them enormous amounts of money which in turn hurts the state economy because less cigarette taxes and tariffs/import duties are paid.

Alcohol is also a major tax revenue source in western countries, but 16-21 year olds are not the main demographic [1]despite consuming some of it and engaging in binges They are a quite marginal drinking group, and limiting their drinking only gives a positive image to 'care-taking' politicians who in turn get more votes from concerned parents. The vast majority of new soldier recruits and cigarette smokers are young, but alcohol consumption mostly concentrates on ages 24 and upwards.

I like Ireland, you're granted all Adult rights the day you're 18. Voting, Alcohol, Tobacco, Driving, right to own property etc = 18. Of course, the laws quite often make a difference. For example about 70% of my schools year (166 pupils, all 16-17) drink alcohol regularly (Once every two weeks) and 55% weekly. 15% are smokers (going through 80+ cigarettes weekly), 35% are light smokers (40-79) cigarettes weekly. Now, as you can see that's a pretty high percentile for alcohol and tobacco where they're still 2 years below the legal age. Irish alcohol laws are heavily enforced, only 2 IDs are considered acceptable by all shops, Passport or Irish age card (Issued by the police.)

This study was performed by an external college group. Each student was given a random number and a letter to indicate their class, all reports were returned and there was no expected forgeries or fake numbers drawn up. As it was anonymous, there was no "bragging" or fear of being truthful.

So ye, in some places anyway, it's safe to say people don't hold certain laws in high regard. Personally, I don't really care for what the legal age is, if I want to drink I'll get my drink, the only difference being the law makes it slightly harder to get.

Looking at the UK law on drinking, I remember how odd the UK government is for some things.

"It is illegal for anyone under 18 to drink alcohol on licensed premises (e.g. a pub or restaurant) although anyone over 16 may consume alcohol with a meal if they are accompanied by an adult when they are under 18, children aged 5 and above may legally drink alcohol elsewhere."

Actually that's a sensible rule it allows a parent to give their child a glass of wine with a meal withou breaking the law. That allows parents to better educate their children about alcohol.

[hide=]

[/hide]

Who the hell would book a cheap flight to get a drink? Maybe the wealthy few who can afford such luxuries but most normal 18-21 year olds wouldn't have the funds to do that. Even getting the Eurostar to Calais or Paris isn't cheap (in fact the cheapest ticket to leave tomorrow and return the next morning is £99 from London).

wild_bunch.gif

He who learns must suffer, and, even in our sleep, pain that cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart,

and in our own despair, against our will, comes wisdom to us by the awful grace of God.

- Aeschylus (525 BC - 456 BC)

While I do know people who have drunk responsibly (including myself), I have seen MANY people who have not. Not just weddings (I've not really seen much of that, actually) but through college. These are the educated people among the population who completely destroy themselves via drinking until brain damage sets in and wrecking their social and emotional relationships. Then they throw up, sober up, and get ready for another night of debauchery.

Age does NOT equal responsibility, per say. However, the older you get, the wiser you get. Unfortunately for many in the early 20's, responsibility often has not set in yet.

Are you seriously trying to use college students as way to show immaturity of some alcoholic drinkers? It's college, where's it's common knowledge that there's going to be parties that will involve drinking. These "educated people" don't simply go to college for drinking, if they do they end up dropping out as they can't cut it or the college doesn't allow them to sign up for classes next term due to their poor grades. They don't wreck their social and emotional relationships either. Some might (I can name a scenario, but won't), but I know quite a number of college students as I am one, who can drink and not ruin any relationships. In some cases, they built relationships oddly enough.

I agree that age doesn't equal responsibility, but using college students as an example that the age limit should be raised isn't good at all. It's become accepted that college students will drink and at times silly while being intoxicated.

I havn't read all posts so sorry if I go over things.

The uk goverment (I live in the uk) is pathetic. They wont let us have kids till were 16 (so going by what the goverment says thats kids raising kids who cant even get a job!)

We can drive at 17 (we could kill somebody)

At 18 we can get a tattoo (how is getting a tattoo worse than driving a 2 tonne bullet?) we can drink so basically poison ourselves (I will explain in a second) and watch porn/gory movies (these are worse than raising a family as a kid and driving a a killing machine)

Alcohol effects the front of the brain 1st, thats what I assume (I've never been drunk) is the good feeling, next the next section in is slightly poisoned following that is near the base of the brain gets poisoned. Nice to know really.

Having said that alcohol does NOT kill brain cells, it was made up so people would stop drinking it.

Some scientists belive moderate drinking helps cognitive function.

If you feed a small amount of alcohol to mice there brains grows slightly!

A hangover is the brain shrinking due to dehydration causing the brain to pull on the membrane that covers the brain, this is what hurts. The brain itself cannot feel pain. Watch all the hannibal films, if you don't belive me! :D

Theres some facts for you all to chew on :lol:

perfetc_666.png

IM GOING TO LIVE FOREVER .......... or die trying

Here in Ontario you have to be 19 to buy alcohol and cigarettes. My guess is because when you are a senior in high school you turn 18, and that would lead to a lot more kids smoking/drinking.

cursedtoastsignature.png

Come to #tip-it on Swift IRC, if you're cool

Are you seriously trying to use college students as way to show immaturity of some alcoholic drinkers? It's college, where's it's common knowledge that there's going to be parties that will involve drinking. These "educated people" don't simply go to college for drinking, if they do they end up dropping out as they can't cut it or the college doesn't allow them to sign up for classes next term due to their poor grades. They don't wreck their social and emotional relationships either. Some might (I can name a scenario, but won't), but I know quite a number of college students as I am one, who can drink and not ruin any relationships. In some cases, they built relationships oddly enough.

I agree that age doesn't equal responsibility, but using college students as an example that the age limit should be raised isn't good at all. It's become accepted that college students will drink and at times silly while being intoxicated.

In that case, you are in the minority. College students drink like fish. And if they don't, they have constant pressure to do it. It has nothing to do with their grades, either. Some of the "smartest" (in regards to books, hardly smart to themselves) people I know wrecked themselves, ended up pregnant or a father, destroyed friendships as their judgement was impaired...the list goes on. Anyone who has ever been drunk has done something they regret, unless they lock themselves in their houses alone. And that's a completely different kind of sick.

Untitled.png

My heart is broken by the terrible loss I have sustained in my old friends and companions and my poor soldiers. Believe me, nothing except a battle lost can be half so melancholy as a battle won. -Sir Arthur Wellesley