Boy Scouts...

Knotch_Blade

Yeah, I did it untill I was about 14.

One of the best times I've ever had. To all those people who just go "lol" boy scouts, have you ever tried or done anything like it ? It was quite fun.

Anyway, I'm not quite sure if the Australian system is similar to the American one but I did it for about 5 years if that's any indication.

Do you guys have Jamborees ?

We went on 2 day camps every 3 months and long hikes every 6 months. Most fun.

There is just something different about being within a tight group and also, being independent. But within the main group it was never about the "ideals" just about going outdoors doing random [cabbage].

MY troop goes on monthly trips but I am less and less active because I am moving away for college. If you've never done Boy scouts, you need to. We get to shoot rifles, bows, shotguns, go swimming hiking to far,beautiful, and awesome places, and so much more fun things. If you are having a bad time, look for a new troop.

NotoriousPSC.png

"I am interested in anything about revolt, disorder, chaos-especially activity that seems to have no meaning"- Jim Morrison

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was only in the scouts for the Pinewood Derby races. (Well, me and my dad both were hehe. Always won best-in-show. :lol: )

In general my troop was crap. Never did anything.

But, only you can decide if you've gotten anything out of it. Or if it's worth it to continue. Did it make you a better person? Are you having fun doing it?

Ranks are cool, I guess. But in all honesty the ranks mean nothing (like you've proven with the Eagle Scouts in 27 months). The Scouts aren't there for ranks. It's just like school. Sure, you're a senior. Doesn't mean you're smarter than a freshman.

Is the Eagle rank like a skillcape? Just having it show off, and not really learning on the way?

Eagle scout has a lto of value, as it is a sign of supeririority. Yes, you can jsut use it to show off, but having the rank can help you get jobs, meet people, get noticed in politics and military as well as many many other benefits.

Is the scouts more about instilling values and morals than learning about nature and the extremes of rugged high adventure?

Values and Morals are what make life a sane state of being. Eithout them, there'd be chaos. The rugged sense of nature is more of a bonus in my opinion (how often do you really need to know how to tie all those damn nots anyway?)

How do you feel about the Scouts (are you a member/were you a member) [don't say lulz scoots r teh n00bs].

I admire scouts. They come from a high society and learn many morals and values, as well as life lessons that so many other people lack. If anything, non-scouts are noobs. I myself am not a scout, howevre I was a guest speaker at a court of honor.

How should I deal with my conflicting interests about scouting (I want to get Eagle, because I've been a scout for 9 years, but I feel forced to believe what everyone else does/I have it harder because my dad doesn't run the troop.)?

Only you can answer this question. However, I highly recommend getting your Eagle rank. Even you mentioned that it is "fabled". You've encountered plenty of them because your a scout. Out in the real world, less than 3% of the population can honestly say they hold such an honorable title. Go for the rank. Get the respect. Do it.

Fix'd.

Seriously. Stick with it.

Anyone who likes tacos is incapable of logic.

Anyone who likes logic is incapable of tacos.

PSA: SaqPrets is an Estonian Dude

Steam: NippleBeardTM

Origin: Brand_New_iPwn

267378693_l.jpg

Eagle is a hell of an acomplishment that looks great on a job/scholarship/college app and follows you forever in a positive light.

I got mine right before I turned 18, and it's a valuable accomplishment.

it's like a skillcape thats respectable because its hard work, it means you have a good character and is one of the best accomplishments a young man can get.

I'd recomend you stay the course.

It does teach lots of leadership qualities that have helped me as a manager in my job, group projects in my classes and maybe even leading clans/this forum

"Any people anywhere, being inclined and having the power, have the right to rise up, and shake off the existing government, and form a new one that suits them better. This is a most valuable - a most sacred right - a right, which we hope and believe, is to liberate the world."

Abraham Lincoln

Is the scouts more about instilling values and morals than learning about nature and the extremes of rugged high adventure?

Values and Morals are what make life a sane state of being. Eithout them, there'd be chaos. The rugged sense of nature is more of a bonus in my opinion (how often do you really need to know how to tie all those damn nots anyway?)

But are those religious *cough*christian*cough* morals really for the best?

Scouts never specify christian morals, just god and country.

"Any people anywhere, being inclined and having the power, have the right to rise up, and shake off the existing government, and form a new one that suits them better. This is a most valuable - a most sacred right - a right, which we hope and believe, is to liberate the world."

Abraham Lincoln

There are apparently a ton of eagle scouts on here...not sure why but thats really surprising

Requiring someone to believe in a god is beyond just teaching morality.

One thing that oddly bugs me is the term nondenominational service, while its not a scout only thing; I never liked calling something nondenominational then mentioning the bible or other clearly christian exclusive things.

On topic

As I said earlier you might as well get eagle. While it may be some trouble, you seem the type that might actually regret not earning it(after all camping is what makes scouts cool and thats what you like).

awteno.jpg

Orthodoxy is unconciousness

the only ones who should kill are those who are prepared to be killed.

One thing that oddly bugs me is the term nondenominational service, while its not a scout only thing; I never liked calling something nondenominational then mentioning the bible or other clearly christian exclusive things.

I've been in boy scout services that have incorporated the koran as well, which is more Islamic than christian.

Abraham Lincoln

This. At the court of honor I spoke at, the ceremony itself was at a church, however one of the honorees was Jewish (actually he attends my synagogue) and he chose our Rabbi as his guest speaker. So while Boy Scouts does require a bit of religion, it doesn't specifify which. It was held at a presbyterian church for goodness sake. Not even a hardcore one. Other than a few crosses here and there, it felt more like a souped up community center. And I believe that religion stems even more morals and values (disputably good ones, but most are good). So, being a religious Eagle Scout would result in a very high moral standard person. Someone I would hold in high regard, as well as admiration.

yep, if anything they preached more religion unity and not to disrespect your fellow man for having seperate beliefs.

Abraham Lincoln

I've been in boy scout services that have incorporated the koran as well, which is more Islamic than christian.

I envy you.

awteno.jpg

My last day of the Boy Scouts was when I was around 13 and choked on a piece of an orange. No one knew how to do the Heimlich, and there were like 8 adults in the room -.- They give you hours of lessons on how to tie a knot, but don't take 5 minutes to explain a very helpful lifesaving skill.

I ended up running around the room to adults point to my neck, and eventually one of the mothers there punched me in the stomach and patted my back till I coughed it up. :(

[iNSERT "I R EATIN TEH SHIX ATM" BILL COSBY SIGNATURE GIF HERE, LOL]

My last day of the Boy Scouts was when I was around 13 and choked on a piece of an orange. No one knew how to do the Heimlich, and there were like 8 adults in the room -.- They give you hours of lessons on how to tie a knot, but don't take 5 minutes to explain a very helpful lifesaving skill.

I ended up running around the room to adults point to my neck, and eventually one of the mothers there punched me in the stomach and patted my back till I coughed it up. :(

Stick your finger in your throat to induce vomiting(assuming choking is throat not windpipe I forget) I have a tiny esophagus and have had to clear my throat a few times like that.

awteno.jpg

Das... You seem like a decent enough guy, do you have a MSN you could pm me?

I'd really like to have some of your advice along the way. :) :) :)

I'm calling my counselors, but I'm living hell right now, my main PC crashed (lost my archived emails) and my downstairs flooded...

It's not that my dad won't get involved, it's that I don't want him to. My troop emphasizes the philosophy that the boys lead the troop, but I noticed that really isn't true...

Also, is there a way to... "home school" scouts?

I assume something along those lines is done if a scout lives in the country...

Stick your finger in your throat to induce vomiting(assuming choking is throat not windpipe I forget) I have a tiny esophagus and have had to clear my throat a few times like that.

There is a more effective way. [Of which, how I found out -- won't go into the details]

Anyway, take your index finger and place in center of your tongue. Perform a rubbing motion up and down. It'll get you to gag and vomit in no time. The uvula. The human body's emergency escape. :thumbup:

I envy you.

It was pretty odd for me. Alanta, such a diverse area

Abraham Lincoln

Funnily enough this was posted while I was away on a Boy Scout backpacking trip. (Not Philmont, we have our own veteran leader guy who plans his own high adventure trips, and they are awesome. Wyoming this year.)

Anyway, you can't really make judgments on the entire organization based on your one troop, because they are much like labor unions in that there are varying degrees of awesomess/suckiness. I happen to be in a great troop that goes on trips every month except December (holidays) and just recently celebrated its 50th anniversary. I, along with about five others, am currently working on my Eagle project. For the most part our leaders are good and there isn't much of a bureaucracy.

As for the religion/gay thing, it's don't ask, don't tell. There's not even a guaranteed chance you'll be kicked out even if you do spread it around that you're gay/athiest. Boy Scouts aren't exclusively conservative. We open each meeting with the pledges and a prayer, but several people don't say the rote Catholic prayers and no one gives a crap.

I would really consider switching troops if you're really having problems (which by the sound of it you are), because there are much better ones out there.

p2gq.jpg

I never was a Boy Scout. :lol:

Was a Cub Scout from age 6 to 9 then I got bored, saw it was stupid and quit. :thumbsup:

Depending on your personality type and troop leader(s) 'Cubs' can be extremely boring, at least in my opinion.

"Those who give up their liberty for more security neither deserve liberty nor security."

Support transparency... and by extension, freedom and democracy.

As for the religion/gay thing, it's don't ask, don't tell. There's not even a guaranteed chance you'll be kicked out even if you do spread it around that you're gay/athiest. Boy Scouts aren't exclusively conservative. We open each meeting with the pledges and a prayer, but several people don't say the rote Catholic prayers and no one gives a crap.

I would really consider switching troops if you're really having problems (which by the sound of it you are), because there are much better ones out there.

Yea, I had problems non-religious in the Scouts (not from leaders but from fellow scouts :cry:)

If you don't like your troop, try switching: there are tons (at least in Canada) and you might be able to convince some friends in the troop that you like to switch with you, if they are also displeased with the quality of the group.

Scouts rock. :thumbsup:

"Those who give up their liberty for more security neither deserve liberty nor security."

Support transparency... and by extension, freedom and democracy.

If you didn't read my earlier posts, I am an Eagle Scout. If you don't like your troop, contact your council and look for other troops in the area, and see which one you like. find a good one that goes on trips and does things alot.

And I have a huge problem with the "Morally straight" clause forbidding openly gay boys from joining. Its a good organization however, and it us up to the Boy Scouts to get the rule changed. Look at the Boy Scouts overall for what it is, and the good it does, instead of an old rule from people who were less accepting than people today.

NotoriousPSC.png

"I am interested in anything about revolt, disorder, chaos-especially activity that seems to have no meaning"- Jim Morrison

I don't want to move troops though... I really love all the stuff we do, we go camping on average once a month. :thumbsup:

And I love the guys in my troop, I'll just try to grin and bear it til things get better...

I would have liked to be in Boy Scouts when I was younger. Mostly for the backpacking and stuff to be honest, all that other crap would get on my nerves. But now it's way more fun to learn that stuff with friends your own age who never learned either. Speaking of backpacking and stuff, thanks for reminding me - I really need to buy some new equipment. My good knife snapped in half a while back.

catch it now so you can like it before it went so mainstream

My good knife snapped in half a while back.

If it snapped...How good was it really? You can't cheap out on the esssentials. Treat yourself to somethin' nice. One that won't break on ya. :P