Boy Scouts...

Knotch_Blade

Hey all this is my rant/discussion about the Boy Scouts...

I am currently ranked as a Star Scout, with only two ranks, Life and the fabled Eagle Rank to go.

I'm 14, with three years to achieve this goal.

I'm thinking about quitting...

Why? Because my troop in particular is run by three Exxon execs like a company, each with "managers" so to speak.

I don't know why I'm sick of it, getting denied my First Aid merit badge probably ruined it for me, I am Red Cross certified for First Aid/CPR/AED/Wilderness Survival, and I treated our First Aid instructor when he was having a heart attack at one of our numerous Courts of Honor.

I really enjoy the rugged camping activities like backpacking (not kayaking etc I don't really like water sports) and I went on a backpacking expedition to Philmont Scout Ranch in Cimarron, New Mexico last summer.

We did 74 miles in 12 days, with full packs and such and I was the youngest, and lowest ranked. We had three current Eagles, and two adult eagles. And yet when asked about basic first aid on our first day at base camp, I was the only one who could answer any of the questions, and our Ranger made me our trek's leader.

Anyway, that was the best 2 weeks of my life, the best fun I have ever had...

Yet, we go back to the bureaucracy of normal monday meetings in the church, all organized and stuff, and I'm back to doing scrub work; because I'm lower ranked than some of the older guys...

I don't know, I guess I'd rather be an adventurist/survivalist than a Boy Scout... I assume I'm not really interested in a group of old guys forcing their views both political/religious/and social onto me, and being pushed aside because my dad doesn't work with the troop.

The fastest time possible to get Eagle is 27 months. Three kids got it in 27 months, while playing football at school and on a club team, maintaining average grades (they study) and learning to drive. How? Their dads were asst. Scoutmasters....

So on for the discussion point... (I might not be totally off topic from RS here... sorry but I'll use it for comparison).

Is the Eagle rank like a skillcape? Just having it show off, and not really learning on the way?

Is the scouts more about instilling values and morals than learning about nature and the extremes of rugged high adventure?

How do you feel about the Scouts (are you a member/were you a member) [don't say lulz scoots r teh n00bs].

How should I deal with my conflicting interests about scouting (I want to get Eagle, because I've been a scout for 9 years, but I feel forced to believe what everyone else does/I have it harder because my dad doesn't run the troop.)?

God damn it... [/rant].

I'll post better tomorrow morning when I'm not so damn angry. :evil:

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lol boy scouts.

I think I was actually in it for a little bit (parents made me) but stopped before I was... like, what, 11 or 12?

I'm expecting a lot of posts like this... :roll:

Hike for 12 days with nothing but your backpack and your best friends then say "Lol boy scouts."

no offense but i hate the boy scouts, you guys just give me alot of paper work at the ski resort as a patroler, funniest day was when troop "666" came lol no joke or when i am out camping you guys make 'way' to much noise and ruin alot of the good area to camp in. so imo i'd quit, i did it for like maybe 3 months when i was a kid and didn't like it. the boy scouts i run into are are know it all. you can learn some good things in the boy scouts but there is still alot more stuff out there, and some of boy scouts dont realize that

legends2.jpg

I'm life rank right now; half way through getting my eagle project approved so I can hurry up and be done. I really hate the whole process of this, like you I enjoy the actual scouting stuff like camping but hate doing all the formal uninteresting stuff. One advantage I have is that our scout master has been involved so long that he does an amazing job; and we don't really have any adults that cause problems. In all honesty, I'm just doing my eagle at this point to throw a family reunion/party so I get money to go to europe

Is the Eagle rank like a skillcape? Just having it show off, and not really learning on the way?

Is the scouts more about instilling values and morals than learning about nature and the extremes of rugged high adventure?

How do you feel about the Scouts (are you a member/were you a member) [don't say lulz scoots r teh n00bs].

How should I deal with my conflicting interests about scouting (I want to get Eagle, because I've been a scout for 9 years, but I feel forced to believe what everyone else does/I have it harder because my dad doesn't run the troop.)?

No, while I as a person don't consider it amazing(a few kids from my troop who are bone fide scum have earned eagle, one got his girlfriend pregnant at about the same time); lots of colleges and businesses, and from what I have heard the armed forces take an eagle award as a really good mark.

The scouts is supposed to be about instilling morals and leadership; the leadership works out fine but I have my collective rants about the scouts being anti atheist and anti gay.

Could you change troops? I really wouldn't drop eagle chances just because your troops has some richards.

What belief stuff are they trying to force on you? If its personal just send me a pm I would like to talk about this and hopefully help you out. Main two problems I have always had are the anti gay policy and the fact they say you have to believe in a god to be in scouts(hope this comes up at my eagle so I can have fun).

awteno.jpg

Orthodoxy is unconciousness

the only ones who should kill are those who are prepared to be killed.

When I saw the title, I had the movie "Up" come into my mind. :wall:

We don't have them here by the way so I'm not really sure how you feel. Not getting your badge must really suck though. Tried poking them about it? Seems like your dad knows something, as you mention he doesn't lead your troop, so I assume he leads another, and has knowledge of this stuff.

I'm glad I never went into that boy scout crap. I heard that if you are gay or atheist, you get kicked out of boy scouts.

What happened to teaching kids that people have different views/sexual interests than them?

My friend is an eagle scout.

But it just seems like a waste of time to me.

10postchm2105.png

WONGTONG IS THE BEST AND IS MORE SUPERIOR THAN ME

#1 Wongtong stalker.

Im looking for some No Limit soldiers!

I was in cub scouts from Tiger-2nd year Webelo. Then I moved overseas, and there was no boy scouts. Oddly enough, there were girl scouts :| I enjoyed it, for the most part; I never made it to the actual Boy Scouts part of it, but I was fine with that. I figure when I need to start learning survival skills-which is all I would care to get out of Scouts-I can just take classes or watch Discovery Channel or something.

They never had a problem with my athiesm, either. Either it didn't ever come up, or nobody cared at that level.

whalenuke.png

Command the Murderous Chalices! Drink ye harpooners! drink and swear, ye men that man the deathful whaleboat's bow- Death to Moby Dick!

BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE!

angel2w.gif

Im an eagle scout and i know exactly what you mean

When i first joined it was great... you leader let us mess around and stuff as long as no one got hurt to dad and we got some stuff done...

but then he left and we got a new leader... he had to do everything right and proper... no more fun...

now for your question...

Well i learned alot in scouts... and it also helps out alot after... Its gotten me 2 jobs so far... they where like your an eagle? yep... HIRED! and if you want to join the military you get 1 or 2 ranks automatically...

It seems its about values and morals now... but its supposed to be nature and skills, adventure, ect... but that has changed sadly....

Well i already answered that... I liked how they used to be... love the concept that there supposed to be... and hate the way they actually are now...

I say you try to get it done as fast as you can, that dosent mean rush and screw everything up... I just started ignoring the annoying leaders whenever i could... did pretty much everything at home... just got the stuff signed off at meetings...

New Sig Coming soon!

Go join another troop? I mean, it's not like they require you to stick to one. If there are multiple groups in the area, go to division and ask to switch. It's fairly easy.

And to anyone who disses the Boy Scouts, having Eagle Scout on a resume kicks [wagon].

Untitled.png

My heart is broken by the terrible loss I have sustained in my old friends and companions and my poor soldiers. Believe me, nothing except a battle lost can be half so melancholy as a battle won. -Sir Arthur Wellesley

I quit for the same reasons you did. The trips are fun, but those only come every few months, the rest is just meetings that couldn't be any more boring.

If you don't like it then quit, you can get much more done in a group of friends than you can with them.

LOTRjokesigedition-1.png

Get back here so I can rub your butt.

Sorry to see your troop has problems like that. I'm an Eagle Scout myself, not involved with Scouting anymore....but did attain the rank of Eagle. However, welcome to the chain of command. I agree it shouldn't be that way in scouting, but there is a chain of command. Maybe you should use it and try and get some problems fixed. If one level won't help you, go one level above them. They answer to a chain of command too.

Its like a skillcape to the world of scouting yes, but i can tell you from personal experience...its useful in the real world. Having Eagle Scout on your resume or college applications looks good. Its a plus for you. The world doesn't see it in the skillcape aspect, they see it as they always have. A pretty prestigious award. Eagle scout is worth an instant rank in the military. An extra stripe up on most people is a big deal in the military. Thats what i did.

I've been to Philmont twice, and would love to work as a ranger out there. Would be a paycut for me but would be an awesome job. I loved my weeks at Philmont.

Stick with it or try and solve some of the problems, it will be worth it.

Kriegsig1copy2b.jpg

I'm in boy scouts :lol:

This is my 6th year and I'm still first class. I went to 2 meetings this year so I could go to summer camp. I really don't like boy scouts on a whole, but I especially don't like the adults.

I'm thinking I should get eagle for college though, It'll help me get into schools I don't quite have the GPA for. At the very least, being a scout until I'm 18 should count for something, right?

15cbz0y.jpg
[bleep] the law, they can eat my dick that's word to Pimp

I'm not sure about the comparison to the skillcape: I never earned it; badges and awards were just never why I did it.

YES. In Canada, I have at times felt as if you could also include "pre-armed forces prep."

I did it for a few years (including beavers and cubs and such), and earned perhaps a grand total of 6 badges. I just wasn't in it for the badges and awards and such: I did it because I love camping and being outdoors, and scouts was a good way to go about being involved in that. I did, however, quite, after the pressure to do the "main stuff" became too much. I can camp and hike and be outside without the scouts.

However, I strongly disagree with the way the scout's upper-management works: huge amounts of money through dues and registration heads straight to the head scout offices, and none of it ever comes back down.

Yea, the kids with parents in the leadership always have it better than us. -.- Can't say what you should do: seems like a very personal choice, just do what you want to do, and if the pressure becomes to much to continue doing it, then don't give up: just find a different way to do what you enjoy.

"Those who give up their liberty for more security neither deserve liberty nor security."

Support transparency... and by extension, freedom and democracy.

Well... I really want to get my eagle. :D

But I don't want to switch troops, I mean the younger scouts are "gangsters" (white kids in a rich suburb :roll:) and the older scouts are pretty cool guys, I love my patrol and I'm really good friends with them all.

I'm a smart kid, and I get good grades and I want to go to a good college, so I guess I should try and tough it out...

There are the things that annoy me that are based solely on principle...

You must CALL the instructor, not e-mail... I'm a shy guy (lol) and e-mail is easier for me & I can attach links to workbooks and stuff.

I'm athiest and I was born in England, I do not say the pledges at the begining of the meeting, nor do I attend our Sunday services when we have our campouts.

Whoever said they'd like to work at Philmont, I totally agree with you, it's the best place I've been in a long time...

I have a year of leadership I have to get, 6 months each for Life, and Star (I think)...

I also need the following merit badges:

First Aid, Citizenship in the Community, Citizenship in the Nation, Communications, Family Life, Personal Fitness, Personal Management.

I can start Personal Fitness/First Aid/Communications at our Winter Camp. Citizenship in the Nation will be cake, I'm a history buff. Personal Management and Family Life I wanted to do at the same time (both take like 14 weeks)...

Anyone got any tips for me... Other than Grin and Bear it...

Heh, my brother is going through the same things. He complains every time he comes home from his Monday Night Scout meetings. I did too. I never liked how they ran the meetings. What did I do? I changed it. I sent my complaints in and learned on my own. I eventually got to Eagle at age 16 (feels so long ago now lol) and haven't regretted getting it. I took the learning in my own hands and didn't worry about the group.

Some of my suggestions for you would be to take things into your own hands. Do what I did and try to change what you don't like. If it is ran like a "business" suggestions are always something key that they would then listen to. And you are right, you are at the bottom of the totem poll. You are a star. You are in the older tier but the bottom of that tier. Just show what you got to offer, and you will shine in no time.

Now, I don't know why you are being held off on your first aid badge. Are you asking for a pass because you know the stuff already or what? Sit through a class or something for proof. I slept through Emergency Preparedness and got the badge anyways. :D This is the part that confuses me.

My last suggestion would be to enjoy it. Don't grit your teeth, make it enjoyable. Get the most out of it that you can. There really is no point in just gritting your teeth. Make it something you would enjoy while you are there. It really is worth it in the end to obtain the rank of Eagle, don't let it fall through your fingers just because.

Also maybe try Venturing? They do all that crazy extreme stuff, that's up your alley and I heard you can finish Eagle in there as well. Just a thought.

Best of luck with your choices. If you need anything else, just PM me. I'm always ready to help out a fellow. :)

A reflection is just a distorted reality held by glass and your mind.

optimizedbrokenmirrorpn.jpg

Lets see how I could've gotten First Aid merit badge.

Attend a Summer Camp Class [x]

Attend our troop class [x]

Get Red Cross certified [x]

I did all of those, and turns out they decided that Summer Camp class wasn't thorough enough, and that the Red Cross class didn't cover it all... So I took the troop class, and I missed the last class, where they just signed the paper work, because I had to have surgery....

Then I come back the next Monday, and the teacher claims I never showed up... So I go to the other counsellor,

Me:"Hey can I have some sort of test for this stuff?"

Couns:"Sure, what're the 5 signs of a heart attack?"

Me:"Nausea, Shortness of breath, chest pain, upper body pain, feeling hot in a cold room, light headedness..." (yes that's more than 5!)

Couns:"You left out shortness of breath..."

3 Guys I was with:"No! He said that!"

Couns:"Go to jail, go directly to jail, do not pass Go! do not collect the merit badge!"

Then we went to Philmont, two of our adult counselors got injured, one broke his ankle, and a I splinted him and carried his stuff, the other went into cardiac arrest at base camp... I was the one who helped both of them...

Back to another meeting, the guy who had the heart attack, who said I didn't know the signs asked me if I was signing up for his class...

*facepalm*

We've got a new instructor, who'll teach the class over x-mas break, so I'll go then and get it over with...

My brother's currently whatever rank is above first class (life? idk), and our dad is the troop committee chair. I would ask your dad to get involved if he can (or is willing to, i honestly wouldn't). There's a huge amount of crap that goes on in Boy Scouting, I really dislike the organization (though I've been a Girl Scout for 10 years - totally different from boy scouting.).

Nowadays it seems like it is more like that. But I think in the end it's worth it, you can get scholarships and it looks good on a resume.

Yes, and this is one of the main things I hate about it. You need to have fun.

How do you feel about the Scouts (are you a member/were you a member)

I've been kind of involved since my brother was a Cub Scout. (so about 8ish years). My mom was his den leader, and is now the treasurer of the troop/my dad's the committee chair... I've never liked how they run it and the huge focus on religion and all the morals. There's a ton of crap that goes on in his troop and I think it's typical (a family friend's troop also had problems) I've never been interested in Venturing, but if you can finish your Eagle there, I would try it.

You don't have to follow the pack. Do what you want, but I would recommend getting your eagle for the reasons I stated above. Ask your dad to get involved if he can, even if it's just joining the committee... You could read up on the regulations in your council and see if your troop is meeting them, because from what you've said, it doesn't seem like they are.

My brother joined, then left because he wanted to start working in the hay field (13 y/o). I personally have never bothered as I found things to do with my time that I felt would be more entertaining. It sucks that you're being denied things just because your father has other priorities. I can't say that it's surprising, though. It's the way the world works. If you share interests with people they generally do things in your favour. It doesn't mean change your interests so that they will, it means to change the people you are around (if you see fit).

I am almost 100% sure that in a couple years when you're camping with your girlfriend near a secluded lake she won't care what rank you were, and most likely neither will you. It's great to learn new things, and to be capable of taking care of yourself when conditions can turn against you, but it sounds like you know everything that those Eagle ranked kids know, and are just missing the actual rank.

The choice is yours, but don't feel that you need to get it.

91215531.png

Poetry

Indexed Picture 1

Indexed Picture 2

Killed my maxed Zerker pure April 2010

Rebooting Runescape

91215531.png

Well I am an Eagle Scout and I am damn proud of it, to say the least. I think that my years in Boy Scouts taught me a lot about leadership, kindness level headedness and many other life lessons, since I got into a few fights there. It is kinda like a skillcape, and it was very useful in helping me get into College. I've never had the oppurtunity to go to Philmont, I imagine it would be sweet. You should apply there if you liked it that much. My advice is that if you enjoy Scouting but hate your troop, find another one. Talk to your council or whatever and see what troops are in the area, and check them out.

NotoriousPSC.png

"I am interested in anything about revolt, disorder, chaos-especially activity that seems to have no meaning"- Jim Morrison

Yeah, I did it untill I was about 14.

One of the best times I've ever had. To all those people who just go "lol" boy scouts, have you ever tried or done anything like it ? It was quite fun.

Anyway, I'm not quite sure if the Australian system is similar to the American one but I did it for about 5 years if that's any indication.

Do you guys have Jamborees ?

We went on 2 day camps every 3 months and long hikes every 6 months. Most fun.

There is just something different about being within a tight group and also, being independent. But within the main group it was never about the "ideals" just about going outdoors doing random [cabbage].