Do You Actually Read? A Social Experiment

Atom Smash40

How many of you actually read the WHOLE thread before you post? I'm just curious. Below is something I've typed up, and I would like for every response to this thread to have a comment and/or a question about what I've typed.

So I'm reading this book, Outliers by Malcolm Gladwell, and it basically shows why some people are successful and some are failures. According to this book, many people believe success to be the product to self-sufficiency and sheer brilliance, but that is NOT always the case. In fact, that is RARELY the case. The typical 'rags to riches' story is brought up a few times, from impoverished Jewish immigrants with children that grow up to be doctors to minorities (mainly blacks from poor families) in a mostly white college that have the same success as their white counterparts after their schooling is complete. But did these succesful people do it all on their own, as most people like to believe? The true underdog story is rarely just that. The person is never really the underdog. They just look like it, because people believe them to be based on just their background. If you've read this far, put 'janurary' in your post. This book shows how that's not the case. In the next few paragraphs, I'm going to summarize what the book explains.

According to the first chapter (and others, many others), when a person is born determines whether they are succesful or not. Now you may think that would be absurd, but it really isn't. My favorite two examples from the book are that of elite level hockey players and the lawyers born during the Great Depression (1930s). The hockey players example is interesting in the sense that Gladwell states that if a hockey player was born between Janurary 1st and mid March, they have a better chance of succeeding in becoming elite level hockey players. And his evidence is a roster of a Canadian Major Junior hockey team that made it to the championship. Upon looking at the roster, I could not see any pattern, but he explains that if you look at the dates that the players were born, many were born in the time period that I just mentioned above. It so happens that the cutoff for an age group in Canadian hockey is January 1st, meaning if you were born exactly on that date, you would be put in younger group than someone born on December 31st. And that is key, as then you will be the oldest if your age group and have more maturity (physically) as you tryout for teams. If you've read this far, put 'demographic' in your post, and leave it there regardless if my further instructions. Coaches like to make parents believe that the 'best kid' is always selected for a team, and that's true to a certain point. According to the book, that player born on Janurary 1st has the same chances as getting on an elite level team as a player born December 31st, but the player born earlier has a large advantage. By being older, he is bascially bigger than his younger counterpart, and therefore has more time to mature and hone his skills than the player born in December. That extra time makes him better, and gets him the spot on the elite team over the other player who didn't have the luck of being born with extra time to practice.

What I just explained up there is the correlation between age and skill. The older kid, when born, isnt necessarily better from the start, but he gets extra time to improve, which makes him better. The next example Gladwell uses is that of a very successful Jewish New York lawyer named Joe Flom.

Flom was born during the Great Depression, was the son of poor Jewish immigrants, and he became one of the most feared lawyers in the business. And he's insanely rich. Rags to riches, no strings attached, right? Wrong. If you've read this far, put 'litigation' in your post. Flom had many disadvantages, what with being Jewish and born during the Depression. But those became advantages. The birth rate during the Depression was significantly less than that of its preceding and succeding years. But that meant more 'room' to work, so to say. After graduating law school, he set out to find a job. Remember, his generation was very small, so he barely had any competition for jobs. But he was also Jewish, so he was rejected. But he took up his own practice of litigation and corporate takeovers, which at the time were considered "the garbage" jobs of law. He spent 20 years working on litigation and corporate takeovers, and then all of a sudden companies wanted to do takeovers and litigate stuff. His rejection from mainstream law and taking up the "small" stuff became a success for him when his once useless 'art' became the most valuable Picasso painting in the corporate world.

So there's how the time you were born can determine if you're successful or not. Hockey players have that extra time, and Joe Flom had the perfect timing of being able to practice litigation before it became the big thing, and got to use it once it did. If you've read this far, put 'ethnicity' in your post.

This next section will be the last, and it has nothing to do with success, but I found it very intriguing. It shows the relationship between certain airline crashes and the ethnicity of the pilots flying them.

The big example used is that of Avianca flight 052 from Colombia to NYC Kennedy. The pilot is Laureano Caviedes and the first officer is Mauricio Klotz. In short, they were delayed from landing due to unsuitable weather conditions and had to make serveral circles, wasting fuel. When they finally got clearance, their plane crashed 16 miles away from Kennedy, despite it being in perfect condition, ATC (Air Traffic Control) at Kennedy working fine, and pilots fully aware of what was going on. The plane simply ran out of gas.

To explain this section, you'll need some background info on something called Power Distance Index, which is basically the relation between superior and subordinate. The higher the rank on the list, the more 'distance' the higher authority has from the subordinate, in this case pilot and first officer. The United States has a very low PDI, which is why one can talk to a police officer without feeling small and unimportant. You can have a full out verbal debate with an officer over a traffic ticket (though it is not advised) without having to feel like your words won't mean anything. Colombia, on the other hand, has a very high PDI, so their culture says that people in power need to be respected and treated as they are much higher than you. This is why Avianca 052 crashed miles from its intended destination. If you've read this far, put 'communication' in your post.

The mistake that co-pilot Klotz made was that he didn't communicate with the pilot (his superior) in a fashion that shows that he is genuinely concerned about a problem (the delay and low fuel due to it). In his mind, it is the captains job to come up with solutions to solve problems, so he doesn't speak his mind. He also feels this way about the ATC in Kennedy. Since the US has a very low PDI, the controller is speaking in such a manner that threatens Klotz. The controller is speaking to him (a subordinate) as an equal, and in his culture he doesn't know how to speak to a superior as an equal. In the book, they give you the transcript of the black box's recording, and you can see that Klotz is talking in a very 'small' manner, meaning that instead of saying flat out "There is a problem, controller. We are running out of fuel and need to land fast" he just said "We're low on fuel". Well of course you're low on fuel! You've reached the end of a very long trip and all planes that land are supposed to be low on fuel since they've used it up. By saying "We're low on fuel," the controller in ATC thinks he's just stating the obvious, so doesn't realize that the plane is in trouble and they need to land soon. Had Klotz spoke up, ATC would've given them priority clearance to land so as to get out of trouble. But that's how he was raised in Colombia. Respect your superiors if you are a subordinate. They are the ones to make decisions. If you've read this far, put 'end' in your post.

It's a good book, I suggest you read it. You'll find some pretty interesting stuff in it. That's all for now.

If you've read the entire quoted section, put 'Outliers' in your post.

[hide=]Consider this a little experiment. The goal is to see who actually reads the whole first post, and who actually reads the whole thread (so they're arent any repeat posts)[/hide]

modmarkl.jpg
~ 3,072nd to 99 Mining on August 30th, 2009 ~
~ 112,084th to 99 Magic on April 16th, 2011 ~

~ 131,681st to 99 Crafting on March 29, 2019 ~

~ 178,385th to 99 Prayer on April 2, 2019 ~

~ 234,921st to 99 Defence on May 9, 2019 ~

~ 173,480th to 99 Herblore on June 21, 2019 ~

~ 155,160th to 99 Smithing on July 16, 2019 ~

you didnt read :cry:

modmarkl.jpg

Looks like Outliers is one of those books that try to come into big conclusions based on a small number of examples. Also, you can just search for "If you've read this far, put" to get the keywords.

This should be in OT.

Rao.png

Outliers :>

I just read the first and last paragraph ^^ That is were the important stuff happens.

im quoting so you cant edit, but you failed ::'

modmarkl.jpg

I just read the first and last paragraph ^^ That is were the important stuff happens.

Did I win?

Best Rubik's cube time solve: 27.81 seconds.

Completed Facebook Tetris Marathon (670k score)

2000+ total with 5 99's, fletching, cooking, attack, thieving and firemaking

Did I win?

somewhat. i wouldve liked you to also comment or ask a question about the article for part 2 of my experiment

modmarkl.jpg

janurary

demographic

litigation

ethnicity

communication

end

Outliers

I have nothing to say about the actual topic other than I do read.

nope. :thumbdown: you read but you didn't follow the directions

modmarkl.jpg

come on...don't be shy

modmarkl.jpg

youre all missing the purpose of this experiment <.<

modmarkl.jpg

Meh I couldn't be bothered reading that anymore when you said it was an experiment. I usually don't bother posting if I haven't read the first post or if it doesn't interest me. This is an exception though. :P

2dvjurb.png

they didnt call for all those to be listed. just one of them.

modmarkl.jpg

Demographic.

I think this book is jumping to conclusions. The author sound intelligent but has he done enough research on the subject on Success and Failure? I don't know. The hockey player example is... confusing. I really do not get how someones birth date affects their skill. Now Joe Flom... Yes it was a great story. The cause of his success was identifiable, a small generation means more jobs (as it said in the text) so he can easily get a job. His ethnicity was a factor though (being Jewish and all). Since I do not have any backround information on the PDI, I pretty much was confused for the majority of it. It was a good read though! ::'

January

Ethnicity

Communication

Outliers, I think it was.

Stonewall337.png
[hide=Drops]Araxxor Eye x1 Leg pieces x2
GWD: 5000 Addy bar Steam B Staff x3 Z Spear x6 Sara. Hilt x2 Bandos Hilt x2 (LS, Solo)SS x6 (1 LS)
Tormented Demons: Shard x6 Slice x5 Claws x9 Limbs x3
DKS: Archer x21 Warrior x31 Berserker x30 Axe x51[/hide]