~ What is up with LED light bulb prices ?! ~

SHIPPOU

It seems every were I go,stores are charging ungodly amounts for energy efficient items.

$15 - $85 USD for a led light bulb.

http://www.bulborama.com/store/LED-Light-Bulbs-c102/?gclid=CJ7v8ZrQ_JsCFYZM5QodgyXD_g

LED's cost $0.02 - $0.10 USD each.

http://ledz.com/?p=z.pricelist.led.diode

What justifies the mark up ?! It can NOT cost that much to put one together, considering all the more complex cheap electronics out there. :wall:

One of the old guard of RS.

RS birthday = Feb - 27 - 2002

Proud member of the original forum.

Going green isn't cheap ;)

I imagine they charge that much because they can. If people think they are doing the environment some good then they are probably willing to pay more money. That and that bulbs are just higher quality than normal incandescent ones. (If I'm thinking of the same thing you are)

polvCwJ.gif
"It's not a rest for me, it's a rest for the weights." - Dom Mazzetti

I imagine there hard to make.
Nope and the technology has been around for ages. LED based bulbs just excite the electrons, and when they fall, photons are released. That's much easier than raising the temperature of a filament. Companies just mark up the prices because the bulbs do pay for themselves in a few years and people now actually care about the efficiency of their electrical appliances. Give it a year or two.
hopesolopatriot.jpg

Nope and the technology has been around for ages. They just mark up the prices because the bulbs do pay for themselves in a few years and people now actually care about the efficiency of their electrical appliances. Give it a year or two.

O if it was like that i would have thought a different company would come around and sell them cheaper.

Nope and the technology has been around for ages. They just mark up the prices because the bulbs do pay for themselves in a few years and people now actually care about the efficiency of their electrical appliances. Give it a year or two.

O if it was like that i would have thought a different company would come around and sell them cheaper.

There are many manufacturers that produce LEDs, but fewer that sell them in the form of a light bulb. Many companies revolve around a guild-type system, which is shown here. When one company undercuts another company's profits by a large margin it leads to a price war. It's great for consumers but it leaves those companies with a lot less profit; they're milking it while they can.
hopesolopatriot.jpg

They are good. They are quality. People are prepared to pay for things like that. They do the environment justice as well. It it really bothers you, just use normal incandescent lightbulbs which cost like $5.

lampost_sig_stark.png

I think the main reason is that EU prohibites ordinary light bulbs by 2010 (or was it 2011?).

So if people are forced to change their light bulbs at home, I think they are making extra investments and are gonna buy LED's.

And I think prices will go up more a bit.

t3aGt.png

So I've noticed this thread's regulars all follow similar trends.

RPG is constantly dealing with psycho exes.

Muggi reminds us of the joys of polygamy.

Saq is totally oblivious to how much chicks dig him.

I strike out every other week.

Kalphite wages a war against the friend zone.

Randox pretty much stays rational.

Etc, etc

I think the main reason is that EU prohibites ordinary light bulbs by 2010 (or was it 2011?).

So if people are forced to change their light bulbs at home, I think they are making extra investments and are gonna buy LED's.

And I think prices will go up more a bit.

Surely they'd stop the sale of the lightbulbs, instead of forcing people to change them? I don't think that's going to be a contributor until they're actually banned.

I think most people know that efficient lightbulbs pay for themselves over time, so they're willing to pay for the increased price. Anyway, most people have switched over their lighting sockets by now, so the demand's greater.

~ W ~

sigzi.png

Don't buy overpriced LED's. Go for the 10 year lightbulbs that burn for a fraction of the cost of normal incandescents. These are the ones that Philips-Magnavox pioneered in the late 90's and the pricing has gone down considerably. It's still about $12 for 8 of them at Wal-Mart, but it's worth the price. I installed them in my apartment last year and cut $30 off my electric bill. Paid for themselves in less than a month.

Untitled.png

My heart is broken by the terrible loss I have sustained in my old friends and companions and my poor soldiers. Believe me, nothing except a battle lost can be half so melancholy as a battle won. -Sir Arthur Wellesley

These are all partially correct, but what the actual answer is surrounding the technology of making the LED bulbs. It costs much less to produce a blue wavelength from an LED bulb that white, which is used in the bulbs for your house. The price is raised because of a new technology that has not paid for itself yet.

These are all partially correct, but what the actual answer is surrounding the technology of making the LED bulbs. It costs much less to produce a blue wavelength from an LED bulb that white, which is used in the bulbs for your house. The price is raised because of a new technology that has not paid for itself yet.

White LED costs $0.05 - $0.10 USD each ... not that much difference.

And normal bulbs burn an off white / brownish color.

Where do normal light bulbs cost $5 USD each ?! ... Here a bulb averages $0.35 USD each, and name brand goes for around $0.65 USD each. :shock:

One of the old guard of RS.

RS birthday = Feb - 27 - 2002

Proud member of the original forum.

It's just the price that works right now. That is the best explanation to give for the price of LED lightbulbs. Nothing other than the companies' profits determines the price of the bulbs. If their profits go down because of decreased demand, the company is likely to lower prices to increase demand and thus profit. If profits could be increased by a lower price, the price will go down. Companies just want to make money, and unless government intervenes, they'll keep the price the same as it is so long as they keep their profits. Free market economy.

There's no such thing as regret. A regret means you are unhappy with the person you are now,

and if you're unhappy with the person you are, you change yourself. That

regret will no longer be a regret, because it will help to form the new,

better you. So really, a regret isn't a regret.

It's experience.

White LED costs $0.05 - $0.10 USD each ... not that much difference.

And normal bulbs burn an off white / brownish color.

:shock:

Here i am refering to the wavelenth of light given of by the LEDs. and for your information, they can charge more with white LED versus blue LEDs because the demand and the supply are not quite to the point of lwoering the prices majorly.

Here i am refering to the wavelenth of light given of by the LEDs. and for your information, they can charge more with white LED versus blue LEDs because the demand and the supply are not quite to the point of lwoering the prices majorly.

Blue has a wavelength. White doesn't, white is all of the visible light wavelengths.

q8tsigindy500fan.jpg

indy500fanan9.jpg

Blue has a wavelength. White doesn't, white is all of the visible light wavelengths.

He never directly referred to white having a wavelength, it could only be implied by the word 'and.' All electromagnetic waves have a wavelength, but but because white light is a mixture, its wavelength is not stationary and is thus given as a range; he would also be correct in saying it had a wavelength.

EDIT: I had to find the word, which was on the tip of my tongue, but the term is 'polychromatic.'

hopesolopatriot.jpg