99 Prayer... dragon bones? really?

Lielac

Okay, I have this crazy idea of getting 99 prayer. You know, once I have money. I compared several options for bones (I am going to use a gilded altar, unless a better way springs out of the woodwork) and I noticed something.

158,760,433 dragon bones (50,609)

142,959,597 babydragon bones (121,461)

127,534,137 zogre bones (162,051)

108,829,056 big bones (242,922)

.73,920,847 normal bones (812,317)

All costs assume mid price.

Normal bones cost the least! Admittedly there are many, MANY more bones to use up...

Is dragging a familiar along worth it? Should I use dragon bones simply because there are only 50.6k instead of the 812k needed for normal bones?

Also, exactly WHY are dragon bones apparently so much better?

Yes, I do want math. I am curious along with completely insane.

Balance may be power, but chaos is still pretty damn fun.

Lielac.png

Canada can't be second rate, polar bears are their main mode of transportation.

The xp/cost for dragon bones might be a lot lower than the xp/cost for normal bones, but obviously there is a higher demand for dragon bones because it would be A LOT quicker than going the normal bone way. There's no math there, just simple economics.

There is no way I would even attempt to use normal bones.. waste of time.

Edit: PS, in the end, I would argue that it's more costly to go the normal bone way, as the opportunity cost will be too great! You could do it 16 times quicker with dragon bones, with just twice the cost. With that huge opportunity cost (loss of time), perhaps you could have broke even or made even more money than the initial cost of bones. So for me it would be an easy choice. Dragon bones all the way.. maybe more costly, but in the end, it's more economically efficient.

[2010] Proud Member of Downfall

[2004-2005] Former Leader of The Unbreakables, Former Member of Corruption, Former Member of 'The' Clan

(...and Anarchy for a few weeks... shhh...)

You answered your own question. 50k bones vs. 800k bones. Seems clear. Would you pay half the price if it meant training sixteen times longer? Instead of offering an extra 775k bones, you could spend all those many, many hours earning back the extra money and then some.

Ever hear the saying "Time equals money"? Well in the time you save using dragon bones over normals ones, you could have made enough money to not worry about the difference. And that is a ton of difference between normal and dragon bones. Now if you don't mind having to go a few more days to just save ~70m, then go for it.

[hide=Drops]Slayer:Draconic Visage x3, Abyssal Whip x23, Dark Bow x3, Dragon Platelegs x3, Dragon Boots x40, Dragon Plateskirt x4, Shield Left Half x3, Dragon Medium Helms x10

GWD:

CS: Zamorakian Spear x2, Zamorak Hilt x1, Bandos Chestplate x1, Sara Sword x1

DKs: Dragon Hatchet x3 Beserker Ring x1[/hide]

[hide=Completed Goals]99Attack.pngAchieved April 26, 200999Defence.pngAchieved Sept. 15, 200999Hitpoints.pngAchieved Nov. 21, 200999Strength.png Jan. 10, 2010

99Slayer.png Achieved Mar. 5, 2010[/hide]

[hide=Goals]c1dfeeb1d3.pngCptBaker.pngCptBaker.png[/hide]

Here are your maths:

(raw xp/hr) / (1 + (cost/hr)/(value of time) ) = net xp per hour

Assuming gilded altar with no pet (estimating ~900 sacs per hour) and time at 500k/hr at current ge mid prices:

bones...net xp per hour

dragon...... 34,123

baby drag.. 30,302

zogre ....... 29,328

big bones... 26,157

bones........12,180

1200 per hour and time at 1000k:

bones...net xp per hour

dragon...... 59,320

baby drag.. 45,889

zogre.........41,489

big bones... 33,673

bones....... 13,102

satan_panda.png

If you figure your cost by the total inventory and not just the bones, you will get a truer answer.

You can carry 25 bones, 2 marrentils and a tinderbox.

50,609 dragon bones = 2025 loads, so you would have to factor in the cost of 4050 marrentills.

812.317 normal bones = 32,493 loads, so you would have to factor in the cost of 64,986 marrentills.

So if you want to use normal bones, you would have to buy 60,936 more marrentills than you would using dragon bones.

60,936 * 473gp per marrentill = 28,822,728gp just for the herbs.

Still think normal bones are a bargain?

PvP is not for me

In the 3rd Year of the Boycott
Real-world money saved since FT/W: Hundreds of Dollars
Real-world time saved since FT/W: Thousands of Hours

No one uses their own marrs on a guilded altar though. If you're using someone else's house, 99% of the time they will be lighting it themselves.

The sole factor in the price is the speed. It's more costly to use normal bones than drag bones in the end.

[2010] Proud Member of Downfall

[2004-2005] Former Leader of The Unbreakables, Former Member of Corruption, Former Member of 'The' Clan

(...and Anarchy for a few weeks... shhh...)

No one uses their own marrs on a guilded altar though. If you're using someone else's house, 99% of the time they will be lighting it themselves.

The sole factor in the price is the speed. It's more costly to use normal bones than drag bones in the end.

Yah well some people get their own alter? Faster xp that way. Not every person in this game has to leech off others.

Your best bet for prayer is either Dragon Bones or Wyvern Bones. Wyvern are usually cheaper and still a good speed. There is no point in you calculating all this now, because based on your current stats and your apparent lack of knowledge when it comes to time I doubt you will have this money for a LONG time.

truely good question y d bones went up from 1.9k to around 3k ea im guessing its from pvp's need for prayer (mostly smite)

but all in all id go d bones> normal bones time wasted on offering normal bones can be used makeing money and u could prob get about how muhc u wasted :thumbsup:

gaara%20guy1.png

gaara%20guy1.png

truely good question y d bones went up from 1.9k to around 3k ea im guessing its from pvp's need for prayer (mostly smite)

but all in all id go d bones> normal bones time wasted on offering normal bones can be used makeing money and u could prob get about how muhc u wasted :thumbsup:

What did the English language do to deserve that?

On topic:

Time = Money, you could spend half the amount of money, but take 16 times longer.

Its just not worth it.

2Xeo5.png

What did the English language do to deserve that?

On topic:

Time = Money, you could spend half the amount of money, but take 16 times longer.

Its just not worth it.

Honestly, I read his post perfectly fine. Instead, I'm having trouble with people who have to say something like you just did. This is the Internet, and people who chat on msn/fb slot will use shorthands a lot.

OT:

I knew the price of marrs had a big price tag! ::'

Staurolite.png